Seahawks offense > Seahawks defense

hawksfan515

Reaction score
It's weird how roles reverse, and a big one has reversed now. I'm not sure how anyone could have predicted this, but our offense is actually better than our defense now. It used to be so bad, horrifically bad, but it has looked amazing over the past few games, and I think it is the new strength of our team.

The magic of Russell Wilson, huh? :th2thumbs:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Definitely since the 2nd half of the season. I don't know what happened to the D, but our D in the first half of the season would kick this current D's butt.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Agreed. Im more confident in our offense now than I am our defense. And thats not knocking the D.

This read option threat with Wilson-Beastmode is just devastating.

And if you've noticed, our defense is a different animal when home. The 12th Man makes that defense unpenetrable (unless AD comes to town obviously).

rightbench

Reaction score
i Wouldn't say the magic of RW, although you could classify it that way. I think it's more of a matter of the preparation and leadership of Russell Wilson. This is so different that anything we've seen in the past from a Seahawks QB. I'm sure Matt Hasselbeck spent a lot of time preparing, and this is not a knock on him.

It just seems so apparent in a week to week look at our Seahawks offense how much RW is improving and taking on more and more responsibility as his rookie season progresses.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
HawkFan72":14vgrj7m said:
Definitely since the 2nd half of the season. I don't know what happened to the D, but our D in the first half of the season would kick this current D's butt.

Not too bad though. And what I can't believe is come draft time we will probably be spending another 1st rounder on defense!!!! Still need more pass rush, IMO.

Definitely getting the BPA vibe though. We don't have many weaknesses anymore. And who would've known, a Pete Carroll coached team, the offense better than the defense...? Weird.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Our defense is second in points allowed at 15.7 after only the Niners, so I mean its not like the defense has been stinking it it up completely. Although I am worried about our Run Defense, Its great that our offense can be relied upon to win us games tho.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
rightbench":8ymgt7bb said:
i Wouldn't say the magic of RW, although you could classify it that way. I think it's more of a matter of the preparation and leadership of Russell Wilson. This is so different that anything we've seen in the past from a Seahawks QB. I'm sure Matt Hasselbeck spent a lot of time preparing, and this is not a knock on him.

It just seems so apparent in a week to week look at our Seahawks offense how much RW is improving and taking on more and more responsibility as his rookie season progresses.

If you want to see a pretty interesting Wilson/Hasselbeck comparison, look at Wilson's stats versus Hasselbeck's 2005 stats.

Wilson (through 14 games):

222 completions
353 attempts
62.9% completion percentage
2697 yards
21 TDs
9 INTs
7.6 YPA
192.6 YPG
95.5 passer rating

Hasselbeck (15.5 games, since he gave way to Wallace in the final game of the season):

294 completions
449 attempts
65.5% completion percentage
3459 yards
24 TDs
9 INTs
7.7 YPA
216.2 YPG
98.2 passer rating

First off, this comparison is not intended as a knock on Hasselbeck (so please, Hass' rabid defenders, don't go nuts). It's intended to demonstrate the level of play Wilson has shown us this season. If he can generate this kind of performance while allowing for his early-season rookie struggles, that bodes EXTREMELY well for his future. He's not in Rick Mirer territory any longer, folks. Even if he has a bit of a sophomore slump, he should still be winning plenty of games for us in 2013 and beyond.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2qxd4r5q said:
rightbench":2qxd4r5q said:

If you want to see a pretty interesting Wilson/Hasselbeck comparison, look at Wilson's stats versus Hasselbeck's 2005 stats.

222 completions
353 attempts
2697 yards
21 TDs
9 INTs
7.6 YPA
192.6 YPG
95.5 passer rating

Hasselbeck (15.5 games, since he gave way to Wallace in the final game of the season):

294 completions
449 attempts
3459 yards
24 TDs
9 INTs
7.7 YPA
216.2 YPG
98.2 passer rating

First off, this comparison is not intended as a knock on Hasselbeck (so please, Hass' rabid defenders, don't go nuts). It's intended to demonstrate the level of play Wilson has shown us this season. If he can generate this kind of performance while allowing for his early-season rookie struggles, that bodes EXTREMELY well for his future. He's not in Rick Mirer territory any longer, folks. Even if he has a bit of a sophomore slump, he should still be winning plenty of games for us in 2013 and beyond.

One small quip, he's only really played 13 games (wilson). But other than that nice post :th2thumbs:

TaterHawk

Reaction score
Some perspective though perhaps it appears the D has fallen off more than it has with the emergence of the offense. How they play D now has changed a bit too because they can. We would have gotten killed early in the season without this D...

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2rca8lww said:
volsunghawk":2rca8lww said:
rightbench":2rca8lww said:

222 completions
353 attempts
2697 yards
21 TDs
9 INTs
7.6 YPA
192.6 YPG
95.5 passer rating

294 completions
449 attempts
3459 yards
24 TDs
9 INTs
7.7 YPA
216.2 YPG
98.2 passer rating

One small quip, he's only really played 13 games (wilson). But other than that nice post :th2thumbs:

It's 14, at least according to ESPN. What constitutes a full game since Russell played not even 3 qtrs against Arizona?

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":1k8xt8q9 said:
It's 14, at least according to ESPN. What constitutes a full game since Russell played not even 3 qtrs against Arizona?

13.5 then, I forgot that he stayed in until like 5:00 left in the 4th in the Buffalo game. Still, all of that was garbage time, and we know Wilson is at it's best when the pressures on.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Our read option as of late has been more devastating than a nuclear bomb. I love it, and hope we make regular use of it until/unless defenses figure out a way to stop it consistently.

Absolut/Kearly/anyone else into Xs & Os, is there even a good way in theory to consistently stop the read option the way we do it, and considering the skill sets of Beast Mode/DangeRuss?

drdiags

Reaction score
It was the 9ers game that gave the defense a shot to its swagger. Before that game, they appeared stronger against the run. Brady feasted on the middle of the defense passing, which started to leak in the Rams game (to me anyway).

After those games, 3 of the next 4 games had letdowns (Miami and Detroit) or an AP running like a mad man (Vikings). Even the Bears game showed more leaks against a single WR and Cutler. Bennett catches that bomb, things are a whole lot less upbeat.

Going into the season, most thought the quality of QBs would be a challenge but the LBs are still cutting their teeth.

The offense started slowly as expected when starting a rookie. Things are picking up as the offense grows together. The 9ers and Rams will be a good measuring stick for how much the current offense functions as the team prepares for hopefully playoff game(s) on the road (or if a major upset occurs, one home playoff game +).

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3ab6uosp said:
It's weird how roles reverse, and a big one has reversed now. I'm not sure how anyone could have predicted this, but our offense is actually better than our defense now. It used to be so bad, horrifically bad, but it has looked amazing over the past few games, and I think it is the new strength of our team.

The magic of Russell Wilson, huh? :th2thumbs:

Actually, both units are top 5 in the NFL right now. Since week 8, the Seahawks rank only behind the Pats in scoring and the defense has been a top 5 unit all season.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
How about that Special Team against AZ at home? The way they forced those fumbles was impressive.
How about Washington return against the Dolphins? He has had some great returns this season.
I think Special Team will need to be extremely sharp and give our offense good field possession and force the 49ers to go 90+ yards ...

Latest posts