Stopping Gore

aredub

Reaction score
Stopping Gore will be key to winning I believe. I think we can handle there WR's. But if Gore gets holes to run in then we should really worry about the play action. That will kill us. It's going to be a battle. I think we are up for the challenge!

Jville

Reaction score
Aristotle22":2gdjn75w said:
I am hoping that there is an answer to those quick up the middle runs that Gore has hurt us with in the past. It seemed like we had the niners bottled up and then WHAM, Gore up the middle for big gains.

There are those on this board that often discount explanations of the coaching staff as "coach speech". However, the coaching solution that has been given for those occasions where they have been gashed up the middle is ...... "gap discipline".

sam1313

Reaction score
Jville":36n01nuw said:
Aristotle22":36n01nuw said:
I am hoping that there is an answer to those quick up the middle runs that Gore has hurt us with in the past. It seemed like we had the niners bottled up and then WHAM, Gore up the middle for big gains.

There are those on this board that often discount explanations of the coaching staff as "coach speech". However, the coaching solution that has been given for those occasions where they have been gashed up the middle is ...... "gap discipline".

Watching the game, I believe this to be partially true because Bobby got caught several times on the wrong side of the center/Mebane. That said, our big D linemen were getting pushed around quite a bit, so even if Bobby didn't get trapped in the wrong gap, he is going to have to make difficult solo tackles against Gore. I hope that playing on our field (and not that muddy field in SF), our DL will look a lot better and force SF into smaller, more easily plugged gaps. I know I always hated playing on mud, and it certainly doesn't do our very quick D any favors. Anyway, telling myself this helps me sleep better at night until I think of playing these guys in SF in the playoffs (or any of the other natural turf fields for that matter - it seems like it causes our D to play poorly).

Fieldgulls just posted an article on this topic: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/12/19/37 ... discipline

hawksfan515

Reaction score
sam1313":27zavaj7 said:
Jville":27zavaj7 said:
Aristotle22":27zavaj7 said:

Watching the game, I believe this to be partially true because Bobby got caught several times on the wrong side of the center/Mebane. That said, our big D linemen were getting pushed around quite a bit, so even if Bobby didn't get trapped in the wrong gap, he is going to have to make difficult solo tackles against Gore. I hope that playing on our field (and not that muddy field in SF), our DL will look a lot better and force SF into smaller, more easily plugged gaps. I know I always hated playing on mud, and it certainly doesn't do our very quick D any favors. Anyway, telling myself this helps me sleep better at night until I think of playing these guys in SF in the playoffs (or any of the other natural turf fields for that matter - it seems like it causes our D to play poorly).

Fieldgulls just posted an article on this topic: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/12/19/37 ... discipline

You know it's legit when it's by the Derek Stephens :mrgreen:

But great article! Made me feel quite a lot better about our run D.

Jville

Reaction score
Nice find. Timely article. :th2thumbs: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/12/19/37 ... discipline
sam1313":2lasgqz5 said:
Jville":2lasgqz5 said:
Aristotle22":2lasgqz5 said: