Wilson vs. Kaep straight up.... who do you take?

Wilson or Kaepernick?

• Wilson

Votes: 180 91.8%
  • Kaepernick

Votes: 16 8.2%

• Total voters

kearly

Reaction score
515 has a brilliant young mind- I think some of you missed his true intentions with this thread.

We now know there are at least five 49ers trolls/lurkers on .net right now. Really only 5? It seems like more.

Good work 515. Now I can feel assured that .net is not being over trolled by 49ers fans this week.

And on the off chance this poll was serious, this is like asking who's better between Josh Freeman and Aaron Rodgers. Kaepernick is my 'boy, but I'm pretty sure Harbaugh could turn Mark Sanchez into a 100 passer rating QB at this point.

49fansince70

Reaction score
Had to go with CK here. He's taller, smarter (37 vs. 28 on the wonderlic). Both are fast, both have great arms. RW has a better touch on his passes IMO. One thing I noticed with CK (and RW, for that matter) right off the bat is, unlike Alex Smith, he can throw his receivers open.

I suspect CK's 'fumbling the snap' problem was more due to weather in NE and was corrected in the second half, so I'd be skeptical of statistical analysis that points to the number of fumbles.

Right now RW runs the offense better than CK does, and that could make all the difference in the upcoming game.

CK has a slight edge in quality of receiving targets, both teams have decent WR's, but the 49ers have Vernon Davis (see how I didn't go with initials there?).

Hopefully this argument will go back and forth for years to come.

A

Anonymous

I don't think Kaepernick has the escapability that DangeRuss has.

All things being equal, Kap can't seem to elude the oustretched arms of a D-lineman like my boy Russ can.

sc85sis

Reaction score
49fansince70":35na4v35 said:
Had to go with CK here. He's taller, smarter (37 vs. 28 on the wonderlic). Both are fast, both have great arms. RW has a better touch on his passes IMO. One thing I noticed with CK (and RW, for that matter) right off the bat is, unlike Alex Smith, he can throw his receivers open.

I suspect CK's 'fumbling the snap' problem was more due to weather in NE and was corrected in the second half, so I'd be skeptical of statistical analysis that points to the number of fumbles.

Right now RW runs the offense better than CK does, and that could make all the difference in the upcoming game.

CK has a slight edge in quality of receiving targets, both teams have decent WR's, but the 49ers have Vernon Davis (see how I didn't go with initials there?).

Hopefully this argument will go back and forth for years to come.
I don't put much stock in the Wonderlic unless a guy has a really terrible score. Marino scored in the teens and that didn't exactly hurt him.

Russell has shown he's more than capable of football smarts. He learned Wisconsin's offense in a matter of weeks because he's a ridiculously hard worker.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA. Are you trying to tell me that 9er fans think Kap is better, and Hawks fans think Wilson is better?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2j7i7mt8 said:
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA. Are you trying to tell me that 9er fans think Kap is better, and Hawks fans think Wilson is better?

Some Seahawks "fans" seem to think Kaepernick is better. WHIP OUT THE BAN STICK! :lol:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Largent80":rwnjjoh8 said:
Wilson is so much better it isn't even close.

Please explain why it "isn't even close".

I'm a Niner fan so it's obvious which way I'm leaning, but lets try to be real here for a sec. I want to hear exactly WHY Wilson is better. I'm attempting to take the homer cap off here so lets just do a little comparison.

Stats?

Wilson:
62.9 Comp %, 7.64 per att, 2697 yards, 21 TDs, 9 INTs, 95.5 QB Rating, 402 yards, 5.2 average, 3 TDs

Kaep:
65.6 Comp %, 8.37 per att, 1289 yards, 7 TDs, 2 INTs, 101.3 Rating, 379 yards rushing, 7.2 average, 5 TDs

Wilson wins on bigger passing yards and TDs, but not in yards per att, or QB rating. Then again, that's not entirely fair seeing as Kaep has only started 5 games.

Lets just look at the first 5 games Kaep has started compared to Wilsons first 5 starts....

Wilson:
63.2 Comp %, 6.52 per att, 815 yards, 5 TDs, 6 INTs, 75.25 Rating, 92 rushing yards, 3.4 average, 0 TDs

Kaep:
66.4 Comp %, 8.26 per att, 1083 yards, 7 TDs, 2 INTs, 104.39 QB Rating, 202 rushing yards, 6.31 average, 2 TDs

Hrmm. I don't see Wilson as so good that it "isn't even close". In fact, it's pretty easy to use the exact opposite argument. I can hear some of you already saying stuff like "Kaep isn't a rookie", or "we are comparing them as the players they are NOW" or a host of other stuff....but lets be fair. Kaep may not be a rookie, but he didn't play at all last year and only in run packages early on this year. Still, lets add Wilsons LAST 5 games.

64.7 Comp %, 8.89 per att, 1053 yards, 8 TDs, 1 INT, 111.95 Rating, 247 yards, 7.48 average, 3 TDs.

Wow. Nice. Now we have a contest. ;-) I'm not sure if comparing Kaeps FIRST 5 starts to Wilsons LAST 5 starts is really afair comparison, but thats what I had to do to even make this a contest.

OK...so lets look at the competition then....

Niners:
Bears on Monday Night (Yes, they had Jason Campbell at QB, but he doesn't play defense. That game was billed as a battle of the defenses and Kaep DESTROYED the Bears early and often).
Saints in NO: Say what you want about the Saints D, but that is a HARD place to play. He was unrattled and played very well)
Rams in St. Louis (yup...his worst game. Played like a young QB. Still...the Rams are good on D as I'm sure you Seattle fans know)
Miami (Played well against a good D while under constant pressure. His 50 yard TD run sealed the game)
NE IN NE (most impressive game so far, Say what you want about the 12th man in Seattle, but Foxborough in December is the hardest place to win in the NFL)

Seahawks:
Jets (yeah...not good. Niners beat them 34-0)
Miami (tough D as I said before...but Seahawks lost)
Chicago (Good Win. Impressive...especially with Cutler back and in Chicago)
Arizona and Buffalo (um...yeah. Put up lots of points, but Niners beat those same 2 teams 69-6 back when those teams actually had something to play for. Hell the Niners became the first team in NFL history to both pass AND rush for 300 against the Bills)

Finally...athletic ability. This one is tough to judge. Wilson is 5'11", 206, very mobile, and has a good arm. Kaep is 6'4 or 6'5", 230+, and is also very mobile....and has a CANNON of an arm.

So, in conclusion....the argument can be made that either guy is "better". I, of course would take Kaep, but suggesting it "isn't even close" is simply lunacy.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin, while I agree that Largent's "it isn't even close" statement is over the top, you can't compare their first 5 starts. Kaepernick studied and learned for a year-and-a-half, plus playoff experience through the NFCCG. Wilson's first 5 starts were right off the bat as a rookie. That is NOT comparable, no matter how much you may want it to be.

Kaepernick is taking twice as many sacks and is fumbling the football FIVE TIMES MORE than Wilson. Those are the two really telling ones. Even if you completely remove his 4 fumbles @ Foxboro, he's fumbling quite a bit more per game than Wilson, and I'm including every game for Wilson in that average.

If Kaepernick keeps fumbling and taking sacks (the latter one points to better athleticism/pocket presence by Wilson, IMO) the way he has been, he's never going to be a great QB.

amill87

Reaction score
Marvin,

Wilson started out slow because the playbook was held back for him as a rookie. How about we just look at the last 6 games between the two?

TDS: Wilson: 11 Kaep: 7
Avg QB rating: Wilson: 113.5 Kaep: 100
Turnovers: Wilson: 1 INT 3 fumbles Kaep: 2 INT 8 fumbles
Avg comp %: Kaep 66.4 Wilson 64.1

Kaep has been good since he's taken over but Wilson has been even better. I mentioned this in another thread, the Niners defense is still what is carrying the team. Wilson is now carrying the Seahawks.

Also the Seahawks have played the #20, #8, #17, #5, #11, and #24 ranked defenses. While the Niners have played #9 twice, #5, #32, #17, and #27 ranked defenses. Take the average ranking of the defenses faced and the Seahawks have played the 14.1 ranked defense while the Niners have played the 16.5 ranked defense.

Also as Sando has pointed out, Wilson leads the NFL in QBR since week 6 (when we started opening the playbook for him) and he is second to only Aaron Rodgers in qb rating in the past 10 weeks

Marvin49

Reaction score
amill87":6m7teyjt said:
Marvin,

Wilson started out slow because the playbook was held back for him as a rookie. How about we just look at the last 6 games between the two?

TDS: Wilson: 11 Kaep: 7
Avg QB rating: Wilson: 113.5 Kaep: 100
Turnovers: Wilson: 1 INT 3 fumbles Kaep: 2 INT 8 fumbles
Avg comp %: Kaep 66.4 Wilson 64.1

Kaep has been good since he's taken over but Wilson has been even better. I mentioned this in another thread, the Niners defense is still what is carrying the team. Wilson is now carrying the Seahawks.

Also the Seahawks have played the #20, #8, #17, #5, #11, and #24 ranked defenses. While the Niners have played #9 twice, #5, #32, #17, and #27 ranked defenses. Take the average ranking of the defenses faced and the Seahawks have played the 14.1 ranked defense while the Niners have played the 16.5 ranked defense.

Also as Sando has pointed out, Wilson leads the NFL in QBR since week 6 (when we started opening the playbook for him) and he is second to only Aaron Rodgers in qb rating in the past 10 weeks

Well...

1) Kaep hasn't started 6 games...he has started 5. He came in for an injured Alex Smith in that first Rams game. I also MADE that comparison in my post...so not sure why you are rehashing the argument unless its just to try to scew the number to throw in a 3TD game for Wilson

2) My entire argument isn't that "Kaep is better". I'm saying its not a case that it "isn't even close" You can say that Kaep had a full year, but you can also say that Wilson came in MUCH more pro ready than Kaep did. Kaep was RAW when he was drafted.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3m16t990 said:
Marvin, while I agree that Largent's "it isn't even close" statement is over the top, you can't compare their first 5 starts. Kaepernick studied and learned for a year-and-a-half, plus playoff experience through the NFCCG. Wilson's first 5 starts were right off the bat as a rookie. That is NOT comparable, no matter how much you may want it to be.

Kaepernick is taking twice as many sacks and is fumbling the football FIVE TIMES MORE than Wilson. Those are the two really telling ones. Even if you completely remove his 4 fumbles @ Foxboro, he's fumbling quite a bit more per game than Wilson, and I'm including every game for Wilson in that average.

If Kaepernick keeps fumbling and taking sacks (the latter one points to better athleticism/pocket presence by Wilson, IMO) the way he has been, he's never going to be a great QB.

Wilson played at a big division school against top competition. Kaep played at Nevada. Kaep was raw as Sushi coming in. Yes, he had a year to sit and it worked wonders, but lets not make it out like he is a seasoned vet. These are his first 5 NFL starts. You guys are making it out like he has topped out and won't improve. He has HUGE potential to get even better. Is Wilson the only one who shows promise?

As for the fumbles, of course that can't continue. It WILL improve. Thats part of him being as raw as he is. He never took a snap in college. Its something he will learn and improve on. I'm sure Wilson made a few mistakes in those first few games, did he not?

amill87

Reaction score
Marvin49":27alqnwj said:
Well...

1) Kaep hasn't started 6 games...he has started 5. He came in for an injured Alex Smith in that first Rams game. I also MADE that comparison in my post...so not sure why you are rehashing the argument unless its just to try to scew the number to throw in a 3TD game for Wilson

2) My entire argument isn't that "Kaep is better". I'm saying its not a case that it "isn't even close" You can say that Kaep had a full year, but you can also say that Wilson came in MUCH more pro ready than Kaep did. Kaep was RAW when he was drafted.

I would counter that with Wilson has left the past two games early. Wilson has 143 attempts over that span and Kaep has 145. So they have nearly the same attempts but Wilson is doing more.

Marvin49

Reaction score
amill87":woyz3h24 said:
Marvin49":woyz3h24 said:
Well...

I would counter that with Wilson has left the past two games early. Wilson has 143 attempts over that span and Kaep has 145. So they have nearly the same attempts but Wilson is doing more.

LOL, is that how it works now?

Sigh.

Anything to make the number say what you want, right? I included the last 5 games for Wilson in my initial post (which are better than Kaep), but that just wasn't enough? LOL. Say what you want about the respective defenses, but I'd like to see Wilson go into Foxborough in December and knock off the Pats with 4 TD passes. Kaep is effectively a rookie. He is learning on the job. Hell, as you have seen he still has trouble with the center exchange.

I have alot of respect for Russell Wilson, but you guys are making it out like he's the next Montana and Kaep is just a flash in the pan. Its pretty comical. LOL.

Shaz

Reaction score
Marvin I don't think that's the general thought of Seahawks fans at all

Yeah you have a few dumbasses that are obviously bias homers but overall we all believe Kaep is a very good QB and will continue to be so

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":m4qbki42 said:
AbsolutNET":m4qbki42 said:

Some Seahawks "fans" seem to think Kaepernick is better. WHIP OUT THE BAN STICK! :lol:
:13:

amill87

Reaction score
Marvin49":pu5zfcom said:
amill87":pu5zfcom said:
Marvin49":pu5zfcom said:
Well...

LOL, is that how it works now?

Sigh.

Anything to make the number say what you want, right? I uncluded the last 5 games for Wilson in my initial post (which are better than Kaep), but that just wasn't enough? LOL. Say what you want about the respective defenses, but I'd like to see Wilson go into Foxborough in December and knock off the Pats with 4 TD passes.

I have alot of respect for Russell Wilson, but you guys are making it out like he's the next Montana and kaep is just a flash in the pan. Its pretty comical. LOL.

And the Niner fans are making Kaep out to be the next Montana after he's only played 6 games. It goes both ways.

You were skewing your facts by comparing their first 5 games when you know Wilson was a rookie with a limited playbook coming off an offseason where he split reps. Kaep had much more time to get a feel with the playbook and Kaep has a superior offensive coach.

Let's just throw out those numbers than. Wilson still leads the NFL in QBR since week 6 and second highest QB rating the past 10 weeks. He's been playing at some of the highest level of all the QBs in the league for quite awhile now.

I think Kaep is playing at a high level right now. The question is who would I want straight up and if I'm basing that decision off of right now, I gotta go with Wilson due to performing better. It's not a knock on Kaep.