Anyone else concerned the DE read option could get RW hurt?

uncle fester

Reaction score
He's too smart to get hurt. Runs out of bounds, slides, takes what he can get and no more.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
^ Yep. He's one step ahead of it all. He knows what he's doing. The game isn't so big that he thinks he needs that extra 5 + yards.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Maybe...I did think about it but against buffalo he was never touched. Until they ca get him I am not worrying

seedhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1dkqay58 said:
He had the exact same tendencies in college. I remember scouting one of his games and during that game he ripped off a winding ~25 yard run and was within a sniff of the endzone. If it had been Jake Locker, he would have sold out, taken the huge hit, and probably scored. Wilson slid at the 7 with defenders still a couple yards away from him. He scored a very easy passing TD on the next play.

He could have sold out and got the touchdown a play earlier, but that's why fullback built Locker is an injury magnet and Wilson is an iron man in a 206 pound body.

2 other points Kip. First is stout index. Divide weight by height in inches. At 208 and 5'11, RW is a stout dude. Second is, because he is shorter, it makes it harder for the big boys to get UNDER RW's pads where they can really do damage.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The read-option makes a great closer. Wear the defense out with Lynch, then shove the read-option down their throat five times in a drive in the fourth quarter. That's how we beat the Bears.

I'd be scared of the read-option if Locker or RG3 were our QB, but Wilson seems to be good at protecting himself.

mikeak

Reaction score
So concerned that I started a thread about it :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59040

The person pointing out that this is different than the option play is spot on. That is what RW ran in college his first year

If you blindside RW outside the pocket you get the flag for hitting defenseless player. So the hit has to come pretty much head on and he should watch out for those. You can still get (and probably would) unnecesarry roughness or something similiar

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Wilson isn't being exposed to an attacking defender the way a QB running veer option is. In this concept he is basically like any RB being handed the ball.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Russell Wilson slides to avoid contact and fight another day: OH THANK GOD!

Alexander slid to avoid contact and fight another day: YOU PANSY ASS!

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3gime7qc said:

Haha, no kidding. I'll never forget watching the Hawks beat up on SF at Baxters a few years ago with other .netters. Some non-netter schmuck was there, and my buddy & I played a drinking game - every time someone complains about Alexander, we drink.

First play, Shaun gets about 6 yards and gets tackled. Schmuck says "He kind of pussed out there, could have got a few more yards."

I got pretty wasted that day.

Anyway, one of my favorite Hawk stories to tell, continue with the discussion...

hawker84

Reaction score
too smart to take huge hits, worst hits come on blindside sacks...'

by the way Smith VS RW on the edge = Smith Fail - first down seahawks

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2rezxe73 said:

Big difference is that Wilson is doing his sliding after ten-yard gains, whereas Shaun was doing his two yards behind the line of scrimmage.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":165wux2d said:
Sarlacc83":165wux2d said:

Big difference is that Wilson is doing his sliding after ten-yard gains, whereas Shaun was doing his two yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Not to mention, it's a RB's job to still try and get yards after contact. This is just ridiculous, Sarlacc. Please tell me you were only trolling?...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1qyp70m9 said:
Sarlacc83":1qyp70m9 said:

I'm glad we could clear up that misconception.

Buzzkill.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hey Makkapakka. You try to wash my face with that dirty ass sponge I'ma kick y'ass and throw you in front of the ninkey-nonk. And leave Upsie Daisy alone. That's MY ho!

Signed, Igglepiggle.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":p5xg6ueb said:

Excatly... running back, vs QB... its a no brainer... but none the less a true statement.
SA was a pansy ass. he would have negitive yards per carry on this team.... beucase he would drop down right when he got handed the ball..
LOL jk.

not..
yes i am..
no i'm not..
i can't remember.

ScarScream

Reaction score
You guys won't be playing the Bills every week. Just saying..

They probably have one of the worst defense in the league. I don't see RW using it a lot against the Niners.

TaterHawk

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, and I've watched HOW RW runs compared to other QB's his risk is way lower because the kid is so smart. Watching San fran's QB run compared to Russ you can tell we may see Smith late in the game Sunday :3:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ScarScream":1bz9dazd said:

They probably have one of the worst defense in the league. I don't see RW using it a lot against the Niners.

I love how everyone's excuse for our back-to-back 50-burgers is "those teams sucked". Guess what? EVERY team plays several CRAPPY teams every year. You'd be hard-pressed to find a team in the last 20 years that only played two BAD teams in a year. They still don't put up 50 points on them except very rarely. So yes, it needs to be accounted for, but the entire thing getting discounted as "lulz, crappy opponents" is just asinine, and frankly, it reeks of jealousy.

CANHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1o5er2s3 said:
ScarScream":1o5er2s3 said:

I love how everyone's excuse for our back-to-back 50-burgers is "those teams sucked". Guess what? EVERY team plays several CRAPPY teams every year. You'd be hard-pressed to find a team in the last 20 years that only played two BAD teams in a year. They still don't put up 50 points on them except very rarely. So yes, it needs to be accounted for, but the entire thing getting discounted as "lulz, crappy opponents" is just asinine, and frankly, it reeks of jealousy.
6d0.gif