Anyone else concerned the DE read option could get RW hurt?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I think most would agree that this DE read option play has been a significant part of the offensive success lately. I am no expert, but my understanding from years past has always been that *nobody* in the NFL runs "the option" very much because pro defenses are trained to ignore the ball and kill the QB. Now Russell is pretty darned elusive and it seems he's been well trained not to risk serious contact. But I can't help but think if it were some other team having consistent success with that play against the Seahawks, I'd want someone the pop the QB hard.

Also, when RW does hand the ball off he always fakes running outside with it - which is part of the play's success. Honest question: is it not within the rules to nail the QB if he fakes running outside with the ball?

Generally speaking perhaps the advent of QB-protectionism in the rules is leading to increased use of QB option plays in general (Newton, RG3).

Also one last tidbit: As a CFL fan I have seen the Calgary Stampeders run that play with quite a bit with success over the past few years, far more than any other CFL (and I believe NFL) team. Seems like a long shot but I wonder if Brandon Browner might have anything to do with the Seahawks implementing it.
    makkapakka
    NET Practice Squad

• 9 runs for 92 yards, 3 TDs, and zero hits. On the road.

"VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Twice he QB slid for no gain. He knows what is on the line.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Scottemojo wrote:Twice he QB slid for no gain. He knows what is on the line.

Yeah that's a fair point. Just makes me nervous.
    makkapakka
    NET Practice Squad

• makkapakka wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Twice he QB slid for no gain. He knows what is on the line.

Yeah that's a fair point. Just makes me nervous.

It makes opponents even more nervous.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• I am a little worried that they will find some tell in the read option that will get Smith out on the edge alone with Russell, or worse yet, one of the LBer's...I'd hate to see Russell take a straight shot from Bowman, for instance.

That said, I am sure that the 9er's feel the same way about Chancellor coming off the edge on a safety blitz. No thank you.
    "Your Seattle Seahawks, 2013-14 World Champions"
    Adopt A Rookie 2014-15 - Kevin Pierre-Louis
    Adopt-A-Red-Shirt 2014-15 Christine Micheal
    Previously known as megamanflx1
    Seahawkscrazy
    NET Veteran

• makkapakka wrote: I am no expert, but my understanding from years past has always been that *nobody* in the NFL runs "the option" very much because pro defenses are trained to ignore the ball and kill the QB.

That's because that statement is pertaining to 'the option' meaning the old triple option where the QB sprints out and either keeps the ball or pitches to one of the RB's...and in that 'option' he is ALWAYS taking a hit on every play. That is not the kind of option we are running here.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• yes, a little, but it's a risk I'm ok with Pete (and RW) taking. It's really no different than having Lynch take 30+ carries. Each additional touch means a higher chance of injury, but he's too good NOT to give the carries to.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Jazzhawk wrote:
    makkapakka wrote: I am no expert, but my understanding from years past has always been that *nobody* in the NFL runs "the option" very much because pro defenses are trained to ignore the ball and kill the QB.

That's because that statement is pertaining to 'the option' meaning the old triple option where the QB sprints out and either keeps the ball or pitches to one of the RB's...and in that 'option' he is ALWAYS taking a hit on every play. That is not the kind of option we are running here.

Ah thanks. I did not realize that "the option" referred specifically to that play.

Can anyone confirm whether or not it's fair game to hit the QB if he fakes running with the ball?
    makkapakka
    NET Practice Squad

• makkapakka wrote:Can anyone confirm whether or not it's fair game to hit the QB if he fakes running with the ball?

It's a flag. Otherwise, players would just deck QBs and say they thought he had the ball. ;) Besides, QBs fake hand-offs and drop-backs all the time.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• The option pitch isn't sustainable in the NFL because it allows bigtime shots at qbs as they have to bring guys towards them and pitch it at the last moment.

What the Hawks are doing is sustainable as it allows Wilson to avoid contact. Aside from a CB/S blitz at the exact wrong moment the play isn't susceptible to big hits.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• I have more fears about him getting hurt on sacks within the pocket then outside the pocket. He seems very aware to be smart and not take hits. On occasion he'll take a huge on a 3rd or 4th down in an important situation (like chicago), but I think he'll be just fine.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    makkapakka wrote:Can anyone confirm whether or not it's fair game to hit the QB if he fakes running with the ball?

It's a flag. Otherwise, players would just deck QBs and say they thought he had the ball. ;) Besides, QBs fake hand-offs and drop-backs all the time.

I honestly don't know but are you sure there's no rule about him being fair game if he's outside the pocket?
    makkapakka
    NET Practice Squad

• lukerguy wrote:I have more fears about him getting hurt on sacks within the pocket then outside the pocket. He seems very aware to be smart and not take hits. On occasion he'll take a huge on a 3rd or 4th down in an important situation (like chicago), but I think he'll be just fine.

True enough. His only hit of the Buf game (and I think worst hit of the season) was the sack on the delayed blitz on I think it was the first play.
    makkapakka
    NET Practice Squad

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    makkapakka wrote:Can anyone confirm whether or not it's fair game to hit the QB if he fakes running with the ball?

Also, you see the RB get hit all the time on play action. By the rules the QB is special/different than the RB in this regard?
    makkapakka
    NET Practice Squad

• In the pocket, I'm pretty sure, yeah; outside, IDK.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Russell Wilson reads the end too well to really get drilled on the read option. Plus, the Seahawks don't use it all the time unless it is working.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:Twice he QB slid for no gain. He knows what is on the line.

He is smart enough to know when the opponent hasn't been fooled, yes.

However, I worry about the play being outright blown up and Wilson being concussed with a blind-side.
    Dreo
    NET Starter

• makkapakka wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:
    makkapakka wrote: I am no expert, but my understanding from years past has always been that *nobody* in the NFL runs "the option" very much because pro defenses are trained to ignore the ball and kill the QB.

Ah thanks. I did not realize that "the option" referred specifically to that play.

Can anyone confirm whether or not it's fair game to hit the QB if he fakes running with the ball?

For one game in high school, I got continually crushed carrying out the play fake, but there was never a flag. Whether it is allowed or not in the NFL, I don't know. Point being, after that, all I had to do was carry out the play fake without watching the runner and watching the defense. Pretty easy to avoid a hit when doing that.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• He had the exact same tendencies in college. I remember scouting one of his games and during that game he ripped off a winding ~25 yard run and was within a sniff of the endzone. If it had been Jake Locker, he would have sold out, taken the huge hit, and probably scored. Wilson slid at the 7 with defenders still a couple yards away from him. He scored a very easy passing TD on the next play.

He could have sold out and got the touchdown a play earlier, but that's why fullback built Locker is an injury magnet and Wilson is an iron man in a 206 pound body.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• He's too smart to get hurt. Runs out of bounds, slides, takes what he can get and no more.
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

• ^ Yep. He's one step ahead of it all. He knows what he's doing. The game isn't so big that he thinks he needs that extra 5 + yards.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Maybe...I did think about it but against buffalo he was never touched. Until they ca get him I am not worrying
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:He had the exact same tendencies in college. I remember scouting one of his games and during that game he ripped off a winding ~25 yard run and was within a sniff of the endzone. If it had been Jake Locker, he would have sold out, taken the huge hit, and probably scored. Wilson slid at the 7 with defenders still a couple yards away from him. He scored a very easy passing TD on the next play.

He could have sold out and got the touchdown a play earlier, but that's why fullback built Locker is an injury magnet and Wilson is an iron man in a 206 pound body.

2 other points Kip. First is stout index. Divide weight by height in inches. At 208 and 5'11, RW is a stout dude. Second is, because he is shorter, it makes it harder for the big boys to get UNDER RW's pads where they can really do damage.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

• The read-option makes a great closer. Wear the defense out with Lynch, then shove the read-option down their throat five times in a drive in the fourth quarter. That's how we beat the Bears.

I'd be scared of the read-option if Locker or RG3 were our QB, but Wilson seems to be good at protecting himself.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• So concerned that I started a thread about it :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59040

The person pointing out that this is different than the option play is spot on. That is what RW ran in college his first year

If you blindside RW outside the pocket you get the flag for hitting defenseless player. So the hit has to come pretty much head on and he should watch out for those. You can still get (and probably would) unnecesarry roughness or something similiar
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Wilson isn't being exposed to an attacking defender the way a QB running veer option is. In this concept he is basically like any RB being handed the ball.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• Russell Wilson slides to avoid contact and fight another day: OH THANK GOD!

Alexander slid to avoid contact and fight another day: YOU PANSY ASS!
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:Russell Wilson slides to avoid contact and fight another day: OH THANK GOD!

Haha, no kidding. I'll never forget watching the Hawks beat up on SF at Baxters a few years ago with other .netters. Some non-netter schmuck was there, and my buddy & I played a drinking game - every time someone complains about Alexander, we drink.

First play, Shaun gets about 6 yards and gets tackled. Schmuck says "He kind of pussed out there, could have got a few more yards."

I got pretty wasted that day.

Anyway, one of my favorite Hawk stories to tell, continue with the discussion...
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• too smart to take huge hits, worst hits come on blindside sacks...'

by the way Smith VS RW on the edge = Smith Fail - first down seahawks
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Sarlacc83 wrote:Russell Wilson slides to avoid contact and fight another day: OH THANK GOD!

Big difference is that Wilson is doing his sliding after ten-yard gains, whereas Shaun was doing his two yards behind the line of scrimmage.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:Russell Wilson slides to avoid contact and fight another day: OH THANK GOD!

Big difference is that Wilson is doing his sliding after ten-yard gains, whereas Shaun was doing his two yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Not to mention, it's a RB's job to still try and get yards after contact. This is just ridiculous, Sarlacc. Please tell me you were only trolling?...
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:Russell Wilson slides to avoid contact and fight another day: OH THANK GOD!

I'm glad we could clear up that misconception.

Buzzkill.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:I'm glad we could clear up that misconception.

Buzzkill.

He's just fixing your revisionist history. Homer. :lol:
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Hey Makkapakka. You try to wash my face with that dirty ass sponge I'ma kick y'ass and throw you in front of the ninkey-nonk. And leave Upsie Daisy alone. That's MY ho!

Signed, Igglepiggle.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Excatly... running back, vs QB... its a no brainer... but none the less a true statement.
    SA was a pansy ass. he would have negitive yards per carry on this team.... beucase he would drop down right when he got handed the ball..
    LOL jk.

not..
    yes i am..
    no i'm not..
    i can't remember.
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran

• You guys won't be playing the Bills every week. Just saying..

They probably have one of the worst defense in the league. I don't see RW using it a lot against the Niners.
    ScarScream
    NET Bench Warmer

• I was thinking the same thing, and I've watched HOW RW runs compared to other QB's his risk is way lower because the kid is so smart. Watching San fran's QB run compared to Russ you can tell we may see Smith late in the game Sunday :3:
    "Horse horse, did you see the size of that chicken?"
    TaterHawk
    NET Rookie

• ScarScream wrote:You guys won't be playing the Bills every week. Just saying..

They probably have one of the worst defense in the league. I don't see RW using it a lot against the Niners.

I love how everyone's excuse for our back-to-back 50-burgers is "those teams sucked". Guess what? EVERY team plays several CRAPPY teams every year. You'd be hard-pressed to find a team in the last 20 years that only played two BAD teams in a year. They still don't put up 50 points on them except very rarely. So yes, it needs to be accounted for, but the entire thing getting discounted as "lulz, crappy opponents" is just asinine, and frankly, it reeks of jealousy.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    ScarScream wrote:You guys won't be playing the Bills every week. Just saying..

I love how everyone's excuse for our back-to-back 50-burgers is "those teams sucked". Guess what? EVERY team plays several CRAPPY teams every year. You'd be hard-pressed to find a team in the last 20 years that only played two BAD teams in a year. They still don't put up 50 points on them except very rarely. So yes, it needs to be accounted for, but the entire thing getting discounted as "lulz, crappy opponents" is just asinine, and frankly, it reeks of jealousy.

Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• ScarScream wrote:You guys won't be playing the Bills every week. Just saying..

Ask Bears fans how well a great Defense does against it.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:

I'm playing Absolut's game. *takes swig*
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• CANHawk wrote:Image

RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:15 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]