rookies of the year

Greenhell

Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that even if Russ and Bobby finish the season with strong stats that they'll still be overlooked. The sports world wants Luck or RGIII even though Russ is performing just as well if not better. Not sure what the DROY race looks like. Who's the favorite there?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
No clue if it has ever happened, but you can bet your ass that if Wilson and Wagner both played on an East Coast team, ESPN would be debating this very question as we speak.

Unfortunately for us, it doesn't really fit in with the media narrative for Seahawk players to win awards like that, especially when there are mega-hyped players like Luck and RGIII, so I just don't see it happening. Because honestly, Wilson should be the frontrunner right now, but instead he is a distant 3rd. (hell, or even 4th - don't put it past the East coasters to talk up Doug Martin over Wilson)

Wagner should probably be the front runner too. Who are you going to give it to over him? Keuchly? He has a few more tackles, but less impact plays. The only reason he has more tackles is because he plays on a worse defense that is on the field more. I'd give it to a leader on one of the best defenses (with big stats too) like Wagner. But again, Keuchly plays on an East coast team, so that alone should propel him to the top spot if there is any question.

hawker84

Reaction score
RGIII doesn't even have to suit up, and he gets goooshed over by the media, luck is falling off ROY talks in my opinion, yesterday's performance didn't help his cause... i think it's between RW and RGIII...

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Honestly, what the Hawks really need, even more than a Sunday Night game, is a Monday night game. Can you imagine what Gruden would be saying about Wilson at this point in the season? That love fest alone would probably propel him into the OROY award

QuahHawk

Reaction score
There are some great players on these lists, I can only hope RW, Wagner, and Irvin can become a player of this caliber

Offense ROY
1989 Barry Sanders Detroit Lions Running back
1990 Emmitt Smith Dallas Cowboys Running back
1991 Leonard Russell New England Patriots Running back
1992 Carl Pickens Cincinnati Bengals Wide receiver
1993 Jerome Bettis Los Angeles Rams Running back
1994 Marshall Faulk Indianapolis Colts Running back
1995 Curtis Martin New England Patriots Running back
1996 Eddie George Houston Oilers Running back
1997 Warrick Dunn Tampa Bay Buccaneers Running back
1998 Randy Moss Minnesota Vikings Wide receiver
1999 Edgerrin James Indianapolis Colts Running back
2000 Mike Anderson Denver Broncos Running back
2001 Anthony Thomas Chicago Bears Running back
2002 Clinton Portis Denver Broncos Running back
2003 Anquan Boldin Arizona Cardinals Wide receiver
2004 Ben Roethlisberger Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback
2005 Carnell "Cadillac" Williams Tampa Bay Buccaneers Running back
2006 Vince Young Tennessee Titans Quarterback
2007 Peterson ! Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings Running back
2008 Matt Ryan Atlanta Falcons Quarterback
2009 Percy Harvin Minnesota Vikings Wide receiver
2010 Sam Bradford St. Louis Rams Quarterback
2011 Cam Newton Carolina Panthers Quarterback

Defense ROY (Linebackers Bolded but alot of Hybrid DE/LB's won too)
1998 Charles Woodson Oakland Raiders
1999 Jevon Kearse Tennessee Titans
2000 Brian Urlacher Chicago Bears 2001 Kendrell Bell Pittsburgh Steelers
2002 Julius Peppers Carolina Panthers
2003 Terrell Suggs Baltimore Ravens
2004 Jonathan Vilma New York Jets
2005 Shawne Merriman San Diego Chargers
2006 DeMeco Ryans Houston Texans
2007 Patrick Willis San Francisco 49ers
2008 Jerod Mayo New England Patriots
2009 Brian Cushing Houston
2010 Ndamukong Suh Detroit Lions
2011 Von Miller Denver Broncos

CANHawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2c8ta1dh said:
Are there no Seahawks to ever grace that list?

It's all about the PUB my brotha! Seahawks don't get no pub so we don't get no awards! Shaun Alexander had to break a freaking record before they even considered giving him the MVP.

Subzero717

Reaction score
CANHawk":274fcz7a said:
Evil_Shenanigans":274fcz7a said:

It's all about the PUB my brotha! Seahawks don't get no pub so we don't get no awards! Shaun Alexander had to break a freaking record before they even considered giving him the MVP.

Well put. Being better isn't enough in South AK. You have to be better three times. They don't know who bswag is so they can't vote for him.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3ouih1oq said:
CANHawk":3ouih1oq said:
Evil_Shenanigans":3ouih1oq said:

Well put. Being better isn't enough in South AK. You have to be better three times. They don't know who bswag is so they can't vote for him.
Stealing this.

ensett

Reaction score
I really dont think Wagner has a shot to win it at all. Nobody has any idea who he is, unfortunately.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3k2nveh9 said:
Don't think so. We could get Coach of the year, executive of the year, OROY, and DROY though. All possible.

Our coach didn't get cancer. That one's preordained. We're not getting Coach of the Year, even if we win the Super Bowl.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Pretty good..........

""The scores seem about right: 99.3 for Wilson, 87.1 for Kaepernick, 58.6 for Bradford and 21.5 for Arizona's Ryan Lindley. Note that the 100-point scale is more percentile-based than linear, meaning it's much tougher to jump from 97 to 99 than from, say, 49 to 51. Wilson became the first quarterback in the Super Bowl era to finish a game with at least one touchdown pass, three rushing touchdowns and 90 yards rushing. The Pro Football Hall of Fame recognized the performance by acquiring Wilson's game uniform for display in Canton. Wilson made most of those contributions in the first half, when they were most meaningful. The result was the highest qualifying single-game QBR score in the NFL this season.""

PER: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Except that Kaepernick does not deserve even close to an 87.1 for fumbling 4 times. Sheer luck the 49ers recovered it all 4 times.

Dreo

Reaction score
Greenhell":37hnyx97 said:
There is no doubt in my mind that even if Russ and Bobby finish the season with strong stats that they'll still be overlooked. The sports world wants Luck or RGIII even though Russ is performing just as well if not better. Not sure what the DROY race looks like. Who's the favorite there?

Sadly I would have to agree. It seems that the only thing that would move Wilson past RGIII would be if we were to face Washington in the playoffs and Wilson dramatically outplayed him.

As for Wagner, I have a sneakin' suspicion that only a convincing playoff win coupled with a Super Bowl appearance would put him in the running.

The powers that be just don't seem to see any value in giving our guys credit. Hopefully they feed off that, though.