Anyone else concerned the DE read option could get RW hurt?

makkapakka

Reaction score
I think most would agree that this DE read option play has been a significant part of the offensive success lately. I am no expert, but my understanding from years past has always been that *nobody* in the NFL runs "the option" very much because pro defenses are trained to ignore the ball and kill the QB. Now Russell is pretty darned elusive and it seems he's been well trained not to risk serious contact. But I can't help but think if it were some other team having consistent success with that play against the Seahawks, I'd want someone the pop the QB hard.

Also, when RW does hand the ball off he always fakes running outside with it - which is part of the play's success. Honest question: is it not within the rules to nail the QB if he fakes running outside with the ball?

Generally speaking perhaps the advent of QB-protectionism in the rules is leading to increased use of QB option plays in general (Newton, RG3).

Also one last tidbit: As a CFL fan I have seen the Calgary Stampeders run that play with quite a bit with success over the past few years, far more than any other CFL (and I believe NFL) team. Seems like a long shot but I wonder if Brandon Browner might have anything to do with the Seahawks implementing it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Twice he QB slid for no gain. He knows what is on the line.

OP
OP
M

makkapakka

Reaction score
Scottemojo":d980wqtv said:

Yeah that's a fair point. Just makes me nervous.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
I am a little worried that they will find some tell in the read option that will get Smith out on the edge alone with Russell, or worse yet, one of the LBer's...I'd hate to see Russell take a straight shot from Bowman, for instance.

That said, I am sure that the 9er's feel the same way about Chancellor coming off the edge on a safety blitz. No thank you.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
makkapakka":20wxkuy7 said:
I am no expert, but my understanding from years past has always been that *nobody* in the NFL runs "the option" very much because pro defenses are trained to ignore the ball and kill the QB.
That's because that statement is pertaining to 'the option' meaning the old triple option where the QB sprints out and either keeps the ball or pitches to one of the RB's...and in that 'option' he is ALWAYS taking a hit on every play. That is not the kind of option we are running here.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
yes, a little, but it's a risk I'm ok with Pete (and RW) taking. It's really no different than having Lynch take 30+ carries. Each additional touch means a higher chance of injury, but he's too good NOT to give the carries to.

OP
OP
M

makkapakka

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":340ib3px said:
makkapakka":340ib3px said:
I am no expert, but my understanding from years past has always been that *nobody* in the NFL runs "the option" very much because pro defenses are trained to ignore the ball and kill the QB.
That's because that statement is pertaining to 'the option' meaning the old triple option where the QB sprints out and either keeps the ball or pitches to one of the RB's...and in that 'option' he is ALWAYS taking a hit on every play. That is not the kind of option we are running here.

Ah thanks. I did not realize that "the option" referred specifically to that play.

Can anyone confirm whether or not it's fair game to hit the QB if he fakes running with the ball?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
makkapakka":3q0tqk3e said:
Can anyone confirm whether or not it's fair game to hit the QB if he fakes running with the ball?

It's a flag. Otherwise, players would just deck QBs and say they thought he had the ball. ;) Besides, QBs fake hand-offs and drop-backs all the time.

kobebryant

Reaction score
The option pitch isn't sustainable in the NFL because it allows bigtime shots at qbs as they have to bring guys towards them and pitch it at the last moment.

What the Hawks are doing is sustainable as it allows Wilson to avoid contact. Aside from a CB/S blitz at the exact wrong moment the play isn't susceptible to big hits.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I have more fears about him getting hurt on sacks within the pocket then outside the pocket. He seems very aware to be smart and not take hits. On occasion he'll take a huge on a 3rd or 4th down in an important situation (like chicago), but I think he'll be just fine.

OP
OP
M

makkapakka

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":305yrvta said:
makkapakka":305yrvta said:

It's a flag. Otherwise, players would just deck QBs and say they thought he had the ball. ;) Besides, QBs fake hand-offs and drop-backs all the time.

I honestly don't know but are you sure there's no rule about him being fair game if he's outside the pocket?

OP
OP
M

makkapakka

Reaction score
lukerguy":nsfw0u9i said:
I have more fears about him getting hurt on sacks within the pocket then outside the pocket. He seems very aware to be smart and not take hits. On occasion he'll take a huge on a 3rd or 4th down in an important situation (like chicago), but I think he'll be just fine.

True enough. His only hit of the Buf game (and I think worst hit of the season) was the sack on the delayed blitz on I think it was the first play.

OP
OP
M

makkapakka

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ppjrsr5 said:
makkapakka":2ppjrsr5 said:

Also, you see the RB get hit all the time on play action. By the rules the QB is special/different than the RB in this regard?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Russell Wilson reads the end too well to really get drilled on the read option. Plus, the Seahawks don't use it all the time unless it is working.

Dreo

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3nuruc5r said:

He is smart enough to know when the opponent hasn't been fooled, yes.

However, I worry about the play being outright blown up and Wilson being concussed with a blind-side.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
makkapakka":3dsnuwaw said:
Jazzhawk":3dsnuwaw said:
makkapakka":3dsnuwaw said:

Ah thanks. I did not realize that "the option" referred specifically to that play.

For one game in high school, I got continually crushed carrying out the play fake, but there was never a flag. Whether it is allowed or not in the NFL, I don't know. Point being, after that, all I had to do was carry out the play fake without watching the runner and watching the defense. Pretty easy to avoid a hit when doing that.

kearly

Reaction score
He had the exact same tendencies in college. I remember scouting one of his games and during that game he ripped off a winding ~25 yard run and was within a sniff of the endzone. If it had been Jake Locker, he would have sold out, taken the huge hit, and probably scored. Wilson slid at the 7 with defenders still a couple yards away from him. He scored a very easy passing TD on the next play.

He could have sold out and got the touchdown a play earlier, but that's why fullback built Locker is an injury magnet and Wilson is an iron man in a 206 pound body.