Wilson vs Kaepernick stat comparison

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Wilson vs Kaepernick stat comparison
Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:32 pm

They got in a big debate over these two on /sp/ and someone did the homework to shut everyone up. But then they were talking about who played who, so someone did the next bit of homework and found out that Wilson went up against harder defenses too.

>49er's previous opp's: NE, MIA, STL (x2), NO, CHI
    >Seattle's previous opp's: MIA, CHI, ARI, BUF, NYJ, MIN

in passing defense:
    >49er's opponents: 29th, 26th, 9th (twice), 31st, 6th
    >Seattle's opponents: 26th, 6th, 4th, 15th, 2nd, 23rd

Wilson has slightly better opponents while facing an average of the 13th best pass defense, while Kaep is slightly worse while facing an average of the 18th pass defense.

Im liking the stats. Math is never wrong.
    Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Re: Wilson vs Kaepernick stat comparison
Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 pm
  • There is no question Kaep is a good young QB, I just think he is benefiting from a Niners team that has had all the offensive talent outside the QB position. Some could argue the same for the Seahawks, but outside of Lynch and Rice the Seahawks don't look all that dangerous on paper. Little do they know, RW makes this team legit.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:37 pm
  • The difference here is that Kap is stepping into a pretty efficient offense - Wilson has made us one.

I was bummed when SF drafted Kap and I think he will be a good player, but Wilson has been a bigger component of success, imo.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:39 pm
  • Kapp makes a LOT of rookie mistakes, the Pats gave that one to em on a silver platter...
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:42 pm
  • Im confused, the difference here is that Wilson is playing remarkably better then Kap against harder pass defenses. Maybe you guys got that, but your comments make it seem like your making excuses for kap playing well.
    Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:48 pm
  • oops wrong thread
    Last edited by themunn on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:48 pm
  • They're both exceptional qb's for how inexperienced they are. Beyond that I don't think there is any real comparison you can draw in their performances until next year. Both teams seem to be very happy with their qb's.
    Disp
    NET Rookie

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:52 pm
  • Both are really good. I am super, super bummed that the 49ers have a young, good QB. That was the only thing they didn't have. They are older than us overall, which is a bit of a relief, but they have some young superstars on both sides of the ball.

That said, given the choice, I'd take Wilson. Our line isn't as good as theirs (although it's good) and the 49ers line is making Kaepernick look slightly better than he really is.
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:57 pm
  • A comparison of Wilson's first 6 games to Kaepernicks first six is what you should be comparing. That makes more sense.
    heyu123
    NET Starter

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:01 pm
  • heyu123 wrote:A comparison of Wilson's first 6 games to Kaepernicks first six is what you should be comparing. That makes more sense.

except it wouldnt really work. Teams records and game-planning are all changed later in the season. You know more about your oponents and how to overcome them. Kap starting halfway through the season is already a leg up because he more footage to review and the team has examined its own strengths and weaknesses better.

Comparing the last 6 games gives them the same advantages in princeable.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:04 pm
  • I don't understand some '9ers posts I saw claiming Kaep has the edge in experience. Yes, he's been in the league a year longer--as a backup. Russell has way more starts. Russell also played in two different offenses in college, both of which were more pro style than the pistol Colin played in college.

I like Kaep and think he has the physical tools to be really successful. He appears to also be improving at the mental side of the game. But Russell is better right now. Will that always be true? No idea. But it sure will be interesting to watch these two young QBs throughout their careers.

I just wish Kaep had gone to a team outside the division.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:30 pm
  • Well this is embarrassing...whoever put the chart together can't even do first grade math. Using my trusty calculator it looks like Wilson has 143 pass attempts, not 137, and Kaepernick has 268 rushing yards, not 202. Then take 1200 passing yards for Kaepernick divided by 145 attempts and you get 8.27 yards/att. , not 7.16. No need to even bother calculating anything else. What a joke.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_ ... kaepernick
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14881/russell-wilson

Cartire wrote:Im liking the stats. Math is never wrong.

It is when you can't even do it at a first grade level.
    Disp
    NET Rookie

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:40 pm
  • Cartire wrote:
    heyu123 wrote:A comparison of Wilson's first 6 games to Kaepernicks first six is what you should be comparing. That makes more sense.

except it wouldnt really work. Teams records and game-planning are all changed later in the season. You know more about your oponents and how to overcome them. Kap starting halfway through the season is already a leg up because he more footage to review and the team has examined its own strengths and weaknesses better.

Not really. Any QB making his first 6 starts is at a disadvantage compared to a QB who had played for 2 months already before the comparison of said set of games.

Once Kaepernick has had two months worth of game experience and first team reps then it's a fair comparison to compare him to where Wilson is right now.
    heyu123
    NET Starter

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:41 pm
  • Disp wrote:Well this is embarrassing...whoever put the chart together can't even do first grade math. Using my trusty calculator it looks like Wilson has 143 pass attempts, not 137, and Kaepernick has 268 rushing yards, not 202. Then take 1200 passing yards for Kaepernick divided by 145 attempts and you get 8.27 yards/att. , not 7.16. No need to even bother calculating anything else. What a joke.

good call. I just took the chart to be accurate, i guess i should have done my own homework.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:46 pm
  • The difference I like to make is how Kap has been in SF for a couple years (?) while RW came in and just took over while never really had the chance to sit and learn like Kap had been able to.

Both QB's are athletically gifted but I think Wilson is more of a leader and dare I say, smarter.
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Rookie

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:49 pm
  • heyu123 wrote:
    Cartire wrote:
    heyu123 wrote:A comparison of Wilson's first 6 games to Kaepernicks first six is what you should be comparing. That makes more sense.

Not really. Any QB making his first 6 starts is at a disadvantage compared to a QB who had played for 2 months already before the comparison of said set of games.

Once Kaepernick has had two months worth of game experience and first team reps then it's a fair comparison to compare him to where Wilson is right now.

There is no fair comparison. Different players in different systems, one is a rookie who had to share reps with two other guys in training camp, the other is a 2nd year player with lots more time in his system, but was cheated out of an offseason program in his rookie year by a lockout.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:30 pm
  • Disp wrote:Well this is embarrassing...whoever put the chart together can't even do first grade math. Using my trusty calculator it looks like Wilson has 143 pass attempts, not 137, and Kaepernick has 268 rushing yards, not 202. Then take 1200 passing yards for Kaepernick divided by 145 attempts and you get 8.27 yards/att. , not 7.16. No need to even bother calculating anything else. What a joke.

Well, I didn't double-check this table, but I can say that Wilson (at 85) has the highest QBR in the NFL since week 6 (Kaepernick included, at 79). From watching carefully, I usually think that QBR tells a better story of a QB's game play, but occasionally passer rating seems more accurate. Russell Wilson is second in passer rating in that span behind Aaron Rodgers.

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... -reactions
    formido
    NET Starter

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:37 pm
  • Twisted wrote:Kapp makes a LOT of rookie mistakes, the Pats gave that one to em on a silver platter...

Yep.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:55 pm
  • So you're saying Wilson has been exceptional the last six game? Yeah, as I Niner fan I think that is pretty obvious.
    frase32
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:58 pm
  • The one stat that gets left out is often Kaep fumbles the ball. Four against the Pats! He fumbles a lot. Hopefully he keeps it up next week!
    haroldseattle
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:30 pm
  • haroldseattle wrote:The one stat that gets left out is often Kaep fumbles the ball. Four against the Pats! He fumbles a lot. Hopefully he keeps it up next week!

It never rains in Seattle thought, or snows.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information