SEA's look at Shiancoe and my continuing receiver worries

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
IMHO Receivers and run D do there job and keep the turnovers and penalties to a minimum (Giaco!) this is a very favorable matchup. We have perhaps the most multi-faceted offense in the NFL at the moment. A receiving corps that are all capable of 100+yard outings and big play brilliance on occasion. With Wilson, Lynch, Robinson, Turbin and Washington we have an abundance of running talent! And we have perhaps(!) the best damn Quarterback tandem in the NFL at the moment.

We simply cannot let Gore and Crabtree get up a head of steam in this game. We know this. The one area we need to work on is the D line. Mebane, Bryant and Branch need to be there from the first snap. ST needs to Keep the ball away from Ted Ginn Jr. and then "Introduce" Kaepernick to Clemons and Irvin early. Seems pretty straight forward.

pehawk

Reaction score
The same can be said for WR corps, IMO. Neither of them can handle the physical play of the other.

But, at this point only one QB can elevate the game of his receivers. By the time this year ends, Wilson will be like a Brady or Eli, making pro-bowler WR's out of average talent. Also, Bevell and Compant have been on a tear.

hawker84

Reaction score
weird to say, but i'm not concerned about our offensive, nearly as much as our defense.. i know we play lights out at home, but we are facing one of the if not the best teams in the league without our two starting pro bowl corners... how do you overcome that with all the weapons they have.. not saying it can't be done, but how can we do this?

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seedhawk":16n4ylan said:
MontanaHawk05":16n4ylan said:
kearly":16n4ylan said:
I guess the New England WRs forgot to be intimidated while their offense scored 4 TDs over something like a 12 minute period on Sunday. 8)

They were dropping passes all over the place.

They caught enough of them to tie the game however.

This is true, but Brady having to throw 65 times during that game had something to do with that.

pehawk

Reaction score
I agree the Pats were intimidated. But, I don't think that's the reason why the Hawks dropped every ball in SF. Neither is intimidated by the other.

I don't think it matters. Carroll purposely kept Lynch fresh for their last meeting. And, through excellence, they are able to do that this week. I know logic says you spread them out and pass at SF, but I have a feeling they're going to run at the 49ers D.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
pehawk":rnlyn9yi said:
I agree the Pats were intimidated. But, I don't think that's the reason why the Hawks dropped every ball in SF. Neither is intimidated by the other.

I don't think it matters. Carroll purposely kept Lynch fresh for their last meeting. And, through excellence, they are able to do that this week. I know logic says you spread them out and pass at SF, but I have a feeling they're going to run at the 49ers D.

I hope that's the idea. Marshawn has eclipsed 100 yards against the Whiners the last two times we have played.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm sure Turbins high in carries, in a meaningful game, was that Pats game. Has to be - Lynch rested a lot.

So, Cable must see something he likes. So much the staff gambled by limiting Lynch against the Patriots.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I hope not. On the field he would not be much of an upgrade, but Moore at least has been practicing with the team and is ready to go if he has to.

Shiancoe knows a lot of Bevell's Offense, but it has been a couple years since he has played in it and he hasn't seen much game action in a while. I would honestly be more comfortable with Moore in there, even though he was been worthless so far.

Hawks46

Reaction score
While I agree with most of the OP, I'm with Kearly on this one. I'd like to see us draft a WR to upgrade the 3rd-5th spots. Our depth is bad, and I agree with you Montana about if Tate or Rice gets hurt we're screwed.

Thing is, both teams have grown, and both teams have changed....it makes an intriguing matchup.

We did not run the read option at all in our first matchup. Wilson makes the read option so tough to defend because he actually throws the ball well, unlike most the read option guys in the NFL (exception RGII). If the DB's stay back, Wilson or Lynch will have room. If the DB's come up, we're going to see Miller and McCoy eat their lunch.

McCoy has grown this season. I think he'll show up this game, and is fast enough to get separation from SF's LBers. Turbin's big drop in that first game was more of a rookie thing in a big game, not being intimidated by anyone. He's also gotten better.

The biggest worry I have for this game is the defense crapping the bed. I think fatigue played a big factor in that first game, in the 2nd half of the game during a short week. SF ran all over us in the 2nd half. I also worry about our fill in guys (Lane % Maxwell) stepping up to play well in a playoff atmosphere. I think Thurmond will be fine; SF's WRs don't worry me at all. If we can stop their run, spy Kaepernick, and stop Davis, we win easily. It's easier said than done.

SF barely beat us during a stretch where our offense was anemic. We're running the ball well again, incorporating the read option, and our TE's and WR's have grown as a unit. Wilson is seeing the TE open more, McCoy is developing a good game, Tate has grown into a big threat WR, and Rice is reclaiming his #1 WR status, with also taking some brutal hits and staying on the field.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm not that worried, they are a good defensive team, but we have played good defensive teams and beat them. The 49ers are one of the best but we have a phenomenal rookie and a devastating run game that will open up the passing game.

Last year we ended their string of sub 100 rushing games against and we will do it again. The offensive line is light years ahead of where they were last year, and vastly improved from the first SEA/SF game this year. Name one receiver that NE had Sunday besides Wes Welker that scares anybody. I would argue that our receivers our much better than the Patriots receivers. We can't be beat by taking 1 of them away. Tate, Rice, Miller are very good receivers and McCoy is coming in to his own. The biggest passing advantage we have? Russell spreads the ball around. You might be able to cover 1, or 2 or 3 of our guys, but Russell will keep the play alive and find the 4th or 5th receiver.

I'm really happy to see Deon Butler back and would much rather have him in there than Kearse. At least Butler will catch the ball.

And the Emo experiment is finally over. IMHO, he held this team back by taking up a spot on the field and not producing. Addition by subtraction.

I know SF has a good defense, but we have an offense that can beat them, handily. All they need to do is execute and follow their QB.

I'm more worried about the defense not being disciplined and allowing Kaep to get outside. That seems to be where he does most of his damage. Keep him in the pocket and throw some complicated defenses at him and he will turn the ball over. And for crying out loud, don't let Frank Gore break big runs up the middle.

I predict a strong win by the Seahawks, 28 - 17