Read Option - Will it last?

mikeak

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2ru0qrgo said:
It can last as long as they don't run it too much, like the Broncos did last year. As long as it is always something for the opponents to worry about among our other looks, I think it will last. Wilson has to continue to avoid taking hits like he has been doing too.

Why?

This is not like a surprise play. You can run a RB run, QB run or QB pass out of the read option look. Regardless of how often you run it you have all three options available to you.

If you run the read option look and come out with a RB run 100 out of a 100 times then I agree it something that the defense will know is coming, but as long as you give enough qb runs and qb passes out of it to keep the defense honest you have something you can use fairly frequently and as stated above takes a DE out of the game.

Of course you use other plays a lot to but it isn't like running the read option 15 times per game is a bad thing. I just think normal evolution will be more passing by RW and 3-4 runs max to keep reminding teams that the qb run can happen at any given time.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Like Russell Said yesterday, it's the change-up. If there's an opportunity to exploit teams by using it, then it'll come out. And it should stay out until it stops working.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3kbq7i3o said:
They'd be silly to let it die completely. It's a strategy that takes advantage of Wilson's mobility and Lynch's running, and I like strategies that take advantage of our strengths. The best thing to do is use it sparingly, perhaps more in the second half once Lynch has worn defenses down and defensive ends won't be so quick to react.

Agree with this 100%!

joeseahawks

Reaction score
People seem to forget what the read option really does. It freezes the Linebackers and slows down the pass rush. It gives QB an extra second to make decisions. And that extra second is sometimes enough for lots of QB to complete a pass and move the chains.
It is another form of misdirection, especially against those huge , fast and quick Defensive linemen, who don't like to have to change directions.

seedhawk

Reaction score
The read option is a super base play for a zone block team. At it's base, it leaves 1 DE or OLB unblocked, forcing 1 defender to make a choice. At the same time, it gives the O-line + TE a man advantage against the rest of the defenders in the box.

If the unblocked guy stays home or drifts out a bit to contain RW he just gives the ball to Lynch and we take what we get. If he crashes down and follows the O-line blocking away from him RW keeps and scoots around the corner. If the CB on that side comes off his man to contain RW, our WR should be open while the safety moves over.

The Bills game had damn near perfect examples of this on all of RW's TD runs, and Lynch's long gainer.