Why to root for Kirk Cousins

thehands816

Reaction score
I had a thought yesterday when I was driving to work and listening to a discussion about RG3, Luck, and Wilson for ROY. I think Wilson is definitely in the discussion, and even more so after yesterday's performance. But we all know and fear the East Coast bias.

I was thinking about RG3 being out with the injury and how that might affect the ROY race. Most of the discussion I have heard has been talking about how RG3 going down will negatively impact his chances of winning ROY. I actually think it COULD HELP his chances!

Think of it this way...

While RG3 is out, if Kirk Cousins is even mediocre and the Redskins falter at all, it will only reinforce the belief in how good RG3 is and how important his success has been to the success of the Redskins this year. If they start faltering as soon as he goes down, I can see many pointing to that as a reason why he SHOULD be ROY.

With Cousins, the comparison will be between 2 rookie QBs leading the same team, and if Cousins doesn't do well, RG3 will only look that much better in the eyes of the voters. In the NFL, absence makes the heart grow fonder when your replacement stinks.

These were my thoughts before yesterday's games took place. And how did Cousins do yesterday?

26/37 70.27 completion percentage
329 yards
2 TDs 1 INT
104.4 RTG

Redskins win 38-21

One of the articles I read said "the Redskins barely missed a beat without the talented and multi-dimensional Griffin."

Depending on how the media look at this, it could slightly help RoboRussell's chances to move up in the discussion.

On a side note, how amazing is this year's class of rookie QBs? Best we've ever seen when all is said and done?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
thehands816":1ond27yz said:
On a side note, how amazing is this year's class of rookie QBs? Best we've ever seen when all is said and done?

idk, it's going to take some time for this class to surpass the 1983 class with Marino, Kelly and Elway. That's a lot of Superbowl trophies, playoff success and career stats with those three.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3r8g19fh said:
thehands816":3r8g19fh said:

idk, it's going to take some time for this class to surpass the 1983 class with Marino, Kelly and Elway. That's a lot of Superbowl trophies, playoff success and career stats with those three.

There are only 2 Superbowl trophies..... I'll take this years.

Shaz

Reaction score
With Marino and Elway, you are arguably talking about 2 of the greatest QB's to ever play the game and got their stats and success in a MUCH tougher time for QB's and Receivers and hell offenses in general

This class would have to win 6 SB's and have the consistent play and stats to even be considered

SonicHawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":205kwddf said:
Sgt. Largent":205kwddf said:
thehands816":205kwddf said:

2-0 so far.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I can't help but root for Cousins since he played HS ball in my region. I watched him play vs my son's varsity team when my son was on the Freshman squad.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Well if you look on the flip side, thats just more competition for teams looking to sign a QB to become their starter. Flacco, Flynn, and Cousins are likely going to be the Top 3 QBs targeted by QB ridden teams unless Im forgetting somebody.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":5ykdgobr said:
Sgt. Largent":5ykdgobr said:
thehands816":5ykdgobr said:

That's two more than this years, and three more HOF jackets.

bellyfat

Reaction score
Another important thing, we need the Redskins to keep winning (as long as we don't lose) because Washington owes St. Louis first round drafted picks in the next couple of years.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
The 1983 quarterback class is 2-10 in Super Bowls. This year, three teams with rookie quarterbacks could well make the playoffs. This year's class has a very good chance to be a lot better than that class.

And I'm glad I wasn't the only one to like how well Cousins did yesterday. Shows that team is not all RGIII.

mikeak

Reaction score
The Big Ben and Eli Manning class already crushed the 1983 class in regards to superbowls - so is that the measuring stick?

I know Rivers suck right now but he did have a few great years

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":x3i2vozr said:
The Big Ben and Eli Manning class already crushed the 1983 class in regards to superbowls - so is that the measuring stick?

The measuring stick should be everything. Superbowls, playoffs, stats, HOF, etc.

That's why it's silly to already be comparing, because people are comparing finished careers vs. potential. I guess it's fun to speculate, but that's all it is, speculation.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I was totally hoping Seattle would pick Cousins in the draft. I love the way he plays ball. Turns out we did pretty well with the guy we picked so I can't be upset for missing him, but I always thought Cousins could do great things too.

But yeah, having Washington just keep on chugging without Bobby Griffen should have a negative effect on his ROY votes (should, not necessarily will).

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Of the 2012 Gruden QB sessions I watched, I was least impressed by Cousins. His squeeky voice also reminds me of fingernails raking a chalkboard.

It's actually funny that the MSU players were dissing RW when he got picked in the 3rd round (ahead of Cousins). Bitter rivals.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Cousins is a lot like Russell in terms of their character, will to win, etc. They have similar intangibles. Russell is far more athletic with a better arm.

kearly

Reaction score
What a great season for rookie QBs. I wonder how well Chandler Harnish would be doing if given a chance in Indy. Seems like every other point guard style QB out of this draft has been money so far.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Well, stories like this on the front page of NFL.com certianly can't hurt.

RG who

...amazing he completed all those passes with his eyes closed. Hell, just give Cousins the ROY right now!