Xbox 360, I hate you.

For all of our NFL Fantasy and gaming enthusiasts. RATING: PG
Xbox 360, I hate you.
Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:22 am
  • So, I'm getting into a groove with my shiny new NBA 2K10 franchise... and suddenly the video starts having odd issues. Bars of yellowish tint across the screen. I turn it off, reboot the system. This time, there are random blue streaks and pixels, then there are both blue streaks and yellowish bars. Try again... This time, the console comes on, but there is no video. I turn it off... and the fan is still whirring away after it's turned off. Have to unplug the thing to get it to shut up.

So, I redo all of the connections, same issue... No video. No RROD or anything, but from what I'm reading online -- This seems to be part of the rash of video card failures the XB360 is now experiencing.

What a piece of crap. If it doesn't fail one way, it finds a completely different way to fail?

AND, from what I'm reading, Microsoft wants 99$ to fix it. A hundred dollars to repair a faulty console that may or may not still have a RROD crash waiting in its future?

:thfight7:

What the hell? I mean, really. At the moment, I'm strongly considering a shift back to Sony.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Re: Xbox 360, I hate you.
Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:15 am
  • Try getting a new video cord. That may be what the problem is...
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:53 pm
  • That's the main reason I own a PS3.

Problem is, the game library hasn't really been wonderful, IMO.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:59 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Try getting a new video cord. That may be what the problem is...

Yeah, B. I thought of that. It's the console -- And apparently a pretty common problem with it.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:22 pm
  • That sucks bro. I can fix the RROD myself, but I haven't got a clue about faulty video cards.
    80% of Planet Earth is covered by water.....The rest is covered by EARL THOMAS!
    SundayNiteBlackout
    National Guard 09-Present

Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:43 pm
  • Wow... Smurf, what do you think?
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:58 am
  • SundayNiteBlackout wrote:That sucks bro. I can fix the RROD myself, but I haven't got a clue about faulty video cards.

Never looked inside a 360 before (and google fu doesn't yield anything helpful), but the main question is: Is the GPU integrated into the motherboard or is it a separate card? Because if it's a separate card, wouldn't it be the same as installing a video card in a computer? (My guess would be yes, based on the fixing price. If it were a motherboard issue, you'd probably be better off replacing the system.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:38 pm
  • Snohomie wrote:That's the main reason I own a PS3.

Problem is, the game library hasn't really been wonderful, IMO.

I was considering that, but after ignoring the various reports and looking for myself... I actually see more on the PS3 side I'd be interested in than vice-versa. I'm more an MLB: The Show guy than a Halo player.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:12 pm
  • May be. I thought the sports options were about the game for both franchises, though.

Sports and RPGs tend to be my thing, with a bit of other games thrown in for variety. I'm surprised we haven't had more good RPGs for the PS3, to be honest.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:20 pm
  • All the RPG's seems to be more of the action/RPG types.

I too am disappointed about that...but when PSN released FF VII and FF Tactics that changed my tune a little bit.

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:22 pm
  • I haven't seen many that caught my attention for the 360, either. Fallout was the only one I had more than a vague interest in playing (I tend toward the PC for my RPG needs. Bioware needs to crank out another Neverwinter clone... though, my PC is getting old, so that'd probably get me spending more money than I need to be)... Mass Effect was good stuff.

Anyway, I really don't feel like pumping more money into microsoft to get the video card fixed and then still have the RROD potential hanging over my head. PS3 seems to have caught up in the software department... plus I can save 120+ bucks a year on XB Live fees.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:41 am
  • I have been tradionally a PC gamer since I was a kid and buying a 360 was my first console since a PS2 (I bought that just for GTA) and even though I got COD5 for the 360 it turns out that the only game I play on 360 is Madden. As far as FPS or RTS goes, PC FTW hands down!
    ElDoceHombre
    * NET Guy Fieri Lover *

Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:37 pm
  • You should check out Demon Soul (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3) and Dragon Age (360/PS3) all three are RPG's coming out this fall.

If you want another Action/RPG you should check out Borderlands (PC/360/PS3). I'm planning on picking it up today.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:03 pm
  • TravTex wrote:I haven't seen many that caught my attention for the 360, either. Fallout was the only one I had more than a vague interest in playing (I tend toward the PC for my RPG needs. Bioware needs to crank out another Neverwinter clone... though, my PC is getting old, so that'd probably get me spending more money than I need to be)... Mass Effect was good stuff.

Anyway, I really don't feel like pumping more money into microsoft to get the video card fixed and then still have the RROD potential hanging over my head. PS3 seems to have caught up in the software department... plus I can save 120+ bucks a year on XB Live fees.

Have two Xbox live accounts or something?
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:10 pm
  • Actually... $95.88, my bad. *heh* (Though removing the temptation to get bored and buy downloadable content I don't really need would probably increase overall savings.)
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:51 pm
  • sammyc521 wrote:You should check out Demon Soul (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3) and Dragon Age (360/PS3) all three are RPG's coming out this fall.

If you want another Action/RPG you should check out Borderlands (PC/360/PS3). I'm planning on picking it up today.

Thanks Sammy. I'll check those out. Roommate has Demon Soul and loves it, but I hear a shocking amount of yelling and swearing coming from his room and that's the last thing I need. I guess that game is insanely hard. But I could use a good RPG - don't remember the last time I played a non-sports title on my PS3.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:52 am
  • Grabbed a PS3. Woot. Still have the Xbox 360 skeleton, though... Was hoping it'd survive long enough for a trade-in (It had started working again). I was going to be 40 bucks out of pocket, and as I was finalizing things... Bzzrt. Video card died completely mid-test.

So, if anyone wants a XB360 with a dead video card, let me know. ($99 dollars to fix via Microsoft)

Got my PS3 all set up and have the network set up. Spent some time dinking around with a couple new games (Infamous, and MLB The Show '09).

At the moment, I'm a rook pitcher doing middle relief duty for the Eire Seawolves. Was drafted by Detroit and sent to AA after spring training. Signed a 2-year contract for 63k. Hooray for ramen noodles.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:36 am
  • I will take it Trav.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:03 am
  • Snohomie wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:You should check out Demon Soul (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3) and Dragon Age (360/PS3) all three are RPG's coming out this fall.

Thanks Sammy. I'll check those out. Roommate has Demon Soul and loves it, but I hear a shocking amount of yelling and swearing coming from his room and that's the last thing I need. I guess that game is insanely hard. But I could use a good RPG - don't remember the last time I played a non-sports title on my PS3.

I hear you Kyle... I read the reviews on Demon Soul and it sound old-skool NES BattleToads hard.

If you are interested in a dumbed-down strategy game, you could check out Civ Revolution. It has almost nothing in common with the CIV series on PC, but it's a cool strategy game. I think they have a demo on PSN. (Civ Rev is also on 360).

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:32 pm
  • Dragon Age

Want.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:53 pm
  • TravTex wrote:
    Dragon Age

Want.

Second.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:01 am
  • If anyone's looking for a deal; Best Buy is rumored to be running a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" promotion starting this Sunday (Oct 25th). The promotion says that all PS3, 360 and Wii games are included.

http://www.psxextreme.com/psp-news/1849.html

Toys R Us ran the same promotion last week. I told the guy that I wanted game coming out this week and he said I could return any unopened game in 45 days. Came back this week and was denied by the manager said the promotion only works for releases at the time of the promotion. BS if you ask me...

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:01 pm
  • Wow. That's a nice deal.

Since I'm sure Trav could use this list, being a new PS3 owner, what are some games everyone feels must be had on the PS3 that are out now?

Sammy, how do you like Borderlands?
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:05 pm
  • I just got a PS3, I have MLB The Show (Awesome), Little Big Planet (Awesome), The Club (Pretty good, got it at Fred Meyer for 7 bucks in the bargain bin yesterday), and Metal Gear Solid (Awesome)
    80% of Planet Earth is covered by water.....The rest is covered by EARL THOMAS!
    SundayNiteBlackout
    National Guard 09-Present

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:49 pm
  • Snohomie wrote:Wow. That's a nice deal.

Since I'm sure Trav could use this list, being a new PS3 owner, what are some games everyone feels must be had on the PS3 that are out now?

Stupid Toys R Us wouldn't let me return my games b/c their manager is a tool. He said that Borderlands came out after the promotion so he wouldn't honor it even though an employee told me to do it.

I bought a copy of Madden 10, NHL 10 and Brutal Legends (intending to return the latter two and keep Madden). So I bought a copy of Madden at Costco so I am now returning all copies and waiting until Sunday to buy them. I'm hoping to pick up FIFA 10, Demon Soul and Borderlands at Best Buy.

So far I'm hearing that Borderlands is stupid fun and that once you get a party going it really gets going. The down thing I've heard is that the looting system is first-come-first-serve. So you gotta party with some good people.

PSN: sammyc521

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:00 pm
  • SundayNiteBlackout wrote:I just got a PS3, I have MLB The Show (Awesome), Little Big Planet (Awesome), The Club (Pretty good, got it at Fred Meyer for 7 bucks in the bargain bin yesterday), and Metal Gear Solid (Awesome)

Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, Ratchet & Clank, InFamous, Demons Soul, KillZone 2, Gran Turismo ProLogue, MLB: the Show 09, and Valkyria Chronicles. These are all the exclusives that are rated pretty well.

Then there's the multi-system games on both 360 and PS3.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:09 pm
  • sammyc521 wrote:
    Snohomie wrote:Wow. That's a nice deal.

Stupid Toys R Us wouldn't let me return my games b/c their manager is a tool. He said that Borderlands came out after the promotion so he wouldn't honor it even though an employee told me to do it.

I bought a copy of Madden 10, NHL 10 and Brutal Legends (intending to return the latter two and keep Madden). So I bought a copy of Madden at Costco so I am now returning all copies and waiting until Sunday to buy them. I'm hoping to pick up FIFA 10, Demon Soul and Borderlands at Best Buy.

So far I'm hearing that Borderlands is stupid fun and that once you get a party going it really gets going. The down thing I've heard is that the looting system is first-come-first-serve. So you gotta party with some good people.

PSN: sammyc521

Fifa 10 is a quality game, currently my game of choice.

What TRU did you go to Sammy? I'm curious as i happen to work at one.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:00 am
  • Bellevue.

The manager was a turd. Instead of helping me out they now lost out on a sale and probably a customer.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:40 am
  • sammyc521 wrote:Bellevue.

The manager was a turd. Instead of helping me out they now lost out on a sale and probably a customer.

Yeah, Bellevue is a bitchy store in general, I hate having to deal with them.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:10 pm
  • I rented Demon's Souls the other day... it's quite a bit more fun than I expected what's basically a hack 'n slash to be. I'm generally leaning more toward the ROLE in RPGs -- Love things with tons of conversation, interplay between characters, etc. It can be wicked hard at times, though... My last runthrough with a thief had me end up charging in up against the Phalanx demon with no fire... I had a freaking dagger. Somehow pulled a victory out of my butt, but it took damn near thirty minutes of scampering around poking at the stupid things.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:20 am
  • Going to pick up Demon's Soul today down in Tukwila.

Got about 2-3 hours of Borderlands in last night. Everything I expected it to be. Stupid fun. Gonna try and play some online with a friend tonight.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:37 am
  • I think I am going to try to rent the game tomorrow, assuming I survive 4 straight hours of midterms. I'll hit you up if this happens.

I hope that Best Buy deal goes til Dragon Age comes out. Borderlands + DA = Failing out of school, but it'll be a very happy way to fail.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:08 am
  • The Best Buy deals runs until Saturday I think.

There's a good deal on Amazon.com for Dragon Age. Buy at regular price (which is less than $59.99) and get $10 off your next Amazon order. I checked last week and they were offering $20 bucks off your next Amazon order if you bought COD: MW2.

Let me know if you wanna play a game of Madden too.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:12 pm
  • Thanks. And I might take you up on that Madden offer, though I'm not playing it much this year. Or the year before. Madden seems to have really fallen off the face of the planet the past couple of years. I HATE that man coverage blows chunks, that the CPU is hellbent on blitzing, and that blocking still sucks. Actually, blocking is okay with me because I understand that's tough to program, it may even be beyond the talents of EA. But there's no excuse for man coverage (cause at one point it was alright) or the blitzing problem (cause it's stupid).

I can honestly say the only thing I like is the whole QB-throwing-motion. That's cool.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:40 pm
  • Kay. Just played some Borderlands with my buddy. It's awesome.

Let me know if you end up renting a copy Kyle.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:14 pm
  • This shows my willpower:

"I don't know if I will like Borderlands, I'll spend 5 bucks to rent it first."
    Check all local rental stores. Nope, none have it. *sigh*

"Fine, I'll buy it as part of that Best Buy deal IF I can get Dragon Age to count for that 3 for 2 deal,"
    They didn't tell me it would, they just told me it might.

I now own Borderlands (and Tekken 6 (roommate) and the soon-to-be-returned Flashpoint 2... looks cool, actually, I just can't afford to keep buying games (NCAA/Madden/NBA2k/Borderlands/Dragon Age) at this rate.

Yeah, this is why I go to college :).

Anyways, I'm going to find someone to scout, then I'll be busting out Borderlands.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:34 pm
  • Cool. Let me know if you wanna party with me and my friend Bryan (BZA78) in Borderlands.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:18 am
  • I'll be on tonight if you want to. Didn't have much time last night... Level 7 soldier (Roland) is all. Tons of fun though.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:20 am
  • Going to the Sounders game tonight. If I see you on late tonight I'll make sure to send an invite.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:46 pm
  • I'd have invited you tonight, Sammy, but it wouldn't let me :(.

Also, you're 17 levels above me. Might have something to do with it.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:59 am
  • No worries. All that means is that I'm playing and not in the lobby.

If someone invites you, a screen pops up and asks if you want to leave your game and join the person who invited you.

Usually, it's best for the lower-level person to invite so that way the higher-level person can help with quests. Also, if you start fighting higher-level enemies, you don't do as much damage to prevent uber-grinding.

Hit me up if you're online next time.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:02 am
  • sammyc521 wrote:Wow... Smurf, what do you think?

Heh. Kudos to Smurf for not taking the bait.

I've got refurbished 360 from MS up and running with no problems (knock on wood), but I haven't
    bought any new games for it for quite some time. Both Brutal Legend and Dragon Age are very
    tempting, however. I've never been disappointed with a Bioware game, although is this their first
    game under the EA umbrella?
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:40 am
  • His moniker is "Net Fanboy."

Dragon Age got shipped super slow because I opted for "Free Shipping." It's not coming until Saturday, so hopefully that'll give me enough time to finish Borderlands.

And in regards to the 360, I think it's a great system it just breaks. I think that's the biggest reason (for me) not to endorse it. To each their own, I mean we're all Seahawks fans. We're paying/rooting for a constantly broken team.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:13 am
  • Dragon Age is AMAZING.

I spent all of yesterday (from 3-1am) playing it. I think the biggest break I took was to make a sandwich. Having a blast. Started out a Rogue but I think playing as a Mage is more fun. As a rogue, I had 6 skill slots for potions, rogue skills, and archer skills. It's a little easier managing it all as a Mage.

Having a blast so far, not too far into the game though. The movie clips are excellent.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:20 pm
  • Later in the game (Dragon Age), do you get to change classes or split-classes? I heard something to that effect in
    a review on Gamespot.
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:50 pm
  • Yes. You start as Mage/Rogue/Warrior and then split off into 4 classes per original class (4 warrior-types, 4 mage-types, 4 rogue-types).
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:57 pm
  • Yeah, I killed a day with Dragon Age -- Ended up having to pay full price at Best Buy since Gamestops citywide were sold out. (Had a trade-in, guess I'll use it for Borderlands or MW2 or something)

Awesome storylines. If I can decide on one to start with, I'll try to stick to a run-through of the game. Basically spent the day checking out all of the origin stories, heh. Good problem to have with storyline writing, eh? Having trouble deciding on one because they're all just so damned cool. Even 'Human Noble' sounded boring, and was made pretty awesome.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ FANTASY ISLAND ]

Information