Read Option - Will it last?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Its changed this offense.... but will it last? Are we going to see it 3 years from now?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I think we'll see it depending on its effectiveness, like everything else I suppose. This week will be a true test of how effective it can be because if it can fool the 9ers elite d we can beat anyone with it.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Yes.

We won't need it as much though. By the time Wilson is a third year player, imagine how much of a better QB he will be. We will still use it a few times in a game maybe, but it won't be with any sort of regularity. It's a great play for a rookie with Russell's skills, but as he grows as a QB he won't need to use that play because he will be so much better in other areas of the QB position.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think it will last but the pass is going to be the option more frequently as time goes by

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It's making up for some things right now, but it will fade. Pete is well aware of just how much it exposes the QB to danger, which is why Wilson is under such instructions to slide even for a loss if it breaks down.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how much we run the spread option against the 49'ers D. They're very athletic and sound on assignments.

As far as in the long run, I do think it's here to stay.......at least for 10 plays or so a game to give the defense another wrinkle to worry about. I do worry about Wilson's health though, but he seems to be very smart about not taking hits, or just going down if there's nothing there.

rightbench

Reaction score
i think it also adds to Marshawn's effectiveness. That's another aspect of it's usefulness. If there are 2 potential runningbacks rather than 1 that has to take some of the pressure off of the actual running back.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I think they are going to use it at random times. Testing its effectiveness, making sure that other team's have to plan for it and if it works they will milk it. Wilson is a smart runner, he doesn't risk getting hurt over a couple yards, totally outruns contact and it looks like he has afterburners when he wants them. Little baby-stiff-arm too. Dang Russell.. you ARE the real deal. Has a cannon, is accurate (even on the move) is a football genius and has flipping wheels.

LOL.. Lynch is just owning guys too. Read option.. HAHAHAHAHA. Here comes the Cummins Turbo Diesel.. oops there goes the little BMW M3. Pick your poison (if you can) They are faking everyone out, the cameramen, the fans and most of all the players. Awesome.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
When executed correctly, it takes one of the DEs out of the play. That can't be overstated.

It's here to stay for those offenses with the QB to run it effectively.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
They'd be silly to let it die completely. It's a strategy that takes advantage of Wilson's mobility and Lynch's running, and I like strategies that take advantage of our strengths. The best thing to do is use it sparingly, perhaps more in the second half once Lynch has worn defenses down and defensive ends won't be so quick to react.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
It can last as long as they don't run it too much, like the Broncos did last year. As long as it is always something for the opponents to worry about among our other looks, I think it will last. Wilson has to continue to avoid taking hits like he has been doing too.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Just the threat of it alone opens up the passing game. The best part is, Wilson's no Tebow, because Wilson can actually throw. So when the defense bites, thinking Russ is going to run, someone gets ignored and gets open for a reception.

Hawker

Reaction score
We will soon start attempting fake punts on 3rd downs to keep the 49ers off balance.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":362k0hkn said:
It'll be interesting to see how much we run the spread option against the 49'ers D. They're very athletic and sound on assignments.

The read-option has been successful against teams where the opponent quaterbacks are traditional pocket passers. I say this because the teams that do not run the read-option have defenses that do not regularly practice against the read-option.

This is why I am concerned that the read-option might not be as effective when used against SF (since they also run read-option through the Klap). It goes both ways though...hopefully the Seahawks will be better prepared to defend against the Klap's read-option since they see it everyday at practice.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":er3donvb said:
Sgt. Largent":er3donvb said:

The read-option has been successful against teams where the opponent quaterbacks are traditional pocket passers. I say this because the teams that do not run the read-option have defenses that do not regularly practice against the read-option.

This is why I am concerned that the read-option might not be as effective when used against SF (since they also run read-option through the Klap). It goes both ways though...hopefully the Seahawks will be better prepared to defend against the Klap's read-option since they see it everyday at practice.
To be honest, most teams don't often practice their first team offense against their first team defense. Just sayin.

kjreid

Reaction score
Yes, the read option with the tight end in the flat is a tremendous play, if LB goes with the TE and the DE swings through then you hand the ball off, if the DE stays home and the LB goes with the TE then keep and run. If the D is in a straight up Dime it would be difficult but I think any other formation it will work good. Blitzing weakside LB could screw up the play also. I love how it is run 5 yards deep and just off the pocket edge. There is so much they can do with it. I think it can be good for quite a while and other variations will come off the read option as it morphs. This will be a play of choice for teams like Washington, SF, TN and us.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
The good thing is the read-option is a change-up. it's not the entire offense. So I see us using 5-10's a game to supplement the meat and potatos of the offense. Whereas with RG3, whose offense is almost entirely predicated on the option.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I love it because we have a Quarterback that is off the charts with Football savvy, and athleticism to run any system thrown at him.
Being able to read Defensive sets and countering with efficiency is Wilsons strong suit, I think Carroll, Bevel, and Cable have all been blown away with how smart Wilson is, , They've struck gold and they know it.
Seems almost silly to use the words "Rookie" and Russell Wilson in the same sentence.
Simply put, not every Quarterback in the National Football League can run the read option efficiently, let alone tie it to all the other offensive schemes that Wilson has learned to run.
I don't think they can feed it to him as fast as he can digest it.
We have a rare bird in this Seahawk.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1gyb0617 said:
When executed correctly, it takes one of the DEs out of the play. That can't be overstated.

It's here to stay for those offenses with the QB to run it effectively.

Agreed. The read option has been wildly effective and will stay in the game plan as long as it remains so.