Question on OL

Renohawk

Reaction score
I guess i'm supersticious, as the Hawks have been on a roll of lately, I've not watched their games, for one, they are not on TV often in Reno and two, don't jinx whats working. I have to admit, being a fan since 76, there have only been a handful of joy seasons and this is setting up to be one.

Now, since I've not watched many games, I have to ask, how is the OL performing? It seems everything starts up front and the numbers i'm seeing are eye popping and I could only assume it's Cable and CO. that are setting the way.

Thanks.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Good run blocking. Quite good. Marshawn ain't #2 in the NFL in rush yds. on his own. Decent pass pro. Russ has to scramble around a bit too much on straight dropbacks to my eyes, but it isn't horrible either.

nwgamer

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2bfgqwmg said:
Good run blocking. Quite good. Marshawn ain't #2 in the NFL in rush yds. on his own. Decent pass pro. Russ has to scramble around a bit too much on straight dropbacks to my eyes, but it isn't horrible either.

Agree. Although I do think we will pick up another OL in the early draft again next year. Now that we have something special running the offense , The FO are going to want to make him as "comfortable" as possible and protect their investment.

sam1313

Reaction score
nwgamer":3sm0k5t1 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3sm0k5t1 said:

Agree. Although I do think we will pick up another OL in the early draft again next year. Now that we have something special running the offense , The FO are going to want to make him as "comfortable" as possible and protect their investment.

I really hope you are right. RW has taken a few frightening hits this year.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I love Breno's nastiness, but RT and RG seem to be the weeknesses on the line. Not bad, but not our strength. Unger and Okung are solid if not very good in all areas. Moffitt has been good when in at RG, but with all the injuries at RG, it hasn't been a strength either. Overall, the more they are together, the better they are (duh). Run blocking seems to be quite a bit ahead of pass blocking at this point.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Overall they look pretty good. Unger is doing very well and seems to get into the 2nd level on a regular basis. He is a very powerful man and helps others a lot.

Russell - I had concerns in the early season with him in fast rushes , he seems to have solved it. He is excellent at both pass and run plays and considering his injury history he is quick for a big man. Can be a technical blocker and is a great pass blocker in the Cable system. When he cuts someone , they are down. Really playing at a high level, great use of leverage and his big body

The right side is average, better as run blockers and get some nice holes. Breno is a powerful guy that could be better of he used more technique. He can wear down as a result of a lot of Mano e Mano in his game.

Paul does a good job, he is good at walling off pash rushers and has good technique in run blocks. Not a real powerful guy , uses a lot of technique , not a bad thing just different. A very steady player, not flashy but seldom screws up

John Moffitt. The weak link I hate to write it he's a great guy and funny in Mike Robb's videos. He screws up a lot, by keeping his center too high and lacking in both technique and power. To beat him bull rush him he backs up right away due to his tendency to get on his heels. Not powerful in run blocks , he likes to hit at an angle and slide along the D Lineman walling them off. If it works it works well, the problem is if he misses the block the hole is crushed.
He needs some more work and like Unger when a Rookie some gym time. Long term I think he will be fine.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Happypuppy":24yf2834 said:
Overall they look pretty good. Unger is doing very well and seems to get into the 2nd level on a regular basis. He is a very powerful man and helps others a lot.

Russell - I had concerns in the early season with him in fast rushes , he seems to have solved it. He is excellent at both pass and run plays and considering his injury history he is quick for a big man. Can be a technical blocker and is a great pass blocker in the Cable system. When he cuts someone , they are down. Really playing at a high level, great use of leverage and his big body

The right side is average, better as run blockers and get some nice holes. Breno is a powerful guy that could be better of he used more technique. He can wear down as a result of a lot of Mano e Mano in his game.

Paul does a good job, he is good at walling off pash rushers and has good technique in run blocks. Not a real powerful guy , uses a lot of technique , not a bad thing just different. A very steady player, not flashy but seldom screws up

John Moffitt. The weak link I hate to write it he's a great guy and funny in Mike Robb's videos. He screws up a lot, by keeping his center too high and lacking in both technique and power. To beat him bull rush him he backs up right away due to his tendency to get on his heels. Not powerful in run blocks , he likes to hit at an angle and slide along the D Lineman walling them off. If it works it works well, the problem is if he misses the block the hole is crushed.
He needs some more work and like Unger when a Rookie some gym time. Long term I think he will be fine.

Good description of what's going on. Tho, I think Moffitt has been slightly better, but I don't feel strong enough about it to try and prove my point. Just a feeling. Anyway, your description of McQuistan makes me think of him as 'Chris Gray 2.0'.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
As a unit, I would rate them at average or barely above average.
A healthy Carp will help a lot IMO. Some of the guys just need more reps and as continuity increases, so does their results.
Depth is improved and I do not quake in fear if Sweezy, Omiyale, or Jean Pierre have to come in as a backup.
Overall health of the unit seems better now than in the recent past.
No old men on this line and I look for improvement next year.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2qrg1w4f said:
Happypuppy":2qrg1w4f said:

Good description of what's going on. Tho, I think Moffitt has been slightly better, but I don't feel strong enough about it to try and prove my point. Just a feeling. Anyway, your description of McQuistan makes me think of him as 'Chris Gray 2.0'.
Was gonna say the exact same thing. Beat me to it. :D

sturg78

Reaction score
Hey Reno, I am headed down to Reno next Sunday to visit family, have you found any good bars that are Seahawk friendly? I know when I lived there it was all 9ers all the time.

Latest posts