Are you scared of this Niner's Defense?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3ctvjn6l said:
sammyc521":3ctvjn6l said:
They gave up 30+ point to this Patriots offense.

Yes, an offense that had been averaging 43 points per game over the last 6 games. For perspective, despite your back to back 50-burgers, your team has only averaged 35 over the last 6 games (and several of those scores were by your defense). This offense was playing at a historical level when we came in and held them to 3 by halftime. And considering Justin Smith played all of one play in the second half, we weren't even at our best from then on on defense (if I were you I'd pray that his injury keeps him out next week. Last season when he went out against St. Louis the Rams had 7 points going into the 3rd quarter, and with him out they managed to take that to 27. He is the key to our D, and I promise if he had not been hurt NE wouldn't have passed 30).

The Grouch":3ctvjn6l said:
If the Hawks can keep the SF ground game in check they should be in good shape... like somebody else said, this isn't the same offense that played in San Fran earlier in the season. That being said SF has a great D and it should be a great game. I don't think it's the D we need to worry about, it's the running game... and maybe a close second of keeping Vernon Davis out of the end zone.

:49ersmall:
And neither are we playing with the same offense. New quarterback, remember?
@ 5 rings: Who are you trying to convince with numbers? You beat the Pats the same way the Hawks did, you hit them in the mouth and gave them second thoughts. And yes, Justin Smith is the heart and soul of the D-line. Aldon Smith is getting his ass kissed by ESPN right now, but he isn't shit without Justin.

Question: How is Justin going to grab and hold two guys with an elbow injury? Pretty much the San Fran pass rush is one Smith grabs two guys, other Smith runs behind him to the QB.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Meh, slightly concerned due to the fact they're a good team and they've beat us the last few times we've played. Scared and feeling we have no hope that we can win next week? Not a chance.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1pkxn8d2 said:
5_Golden_Rings":1pkxn8d2 said:
sammyc521":1pkxn8d2 said:
They gave up 30+ point to this Patriots offense.

Yes, an offense that had been averaging 43 points per game over the last 6 games. For perspective, despite your back to back 50-burgers, your team has only averaged 35 over the last 6 games (and several of those scores were by your defense). This offense was playing at a historical level when we came in and held them to 3 by halftime. And considering Justin Smith played all of one play in the second half, we weren't even at our best from then on on defense (if I were you I'd pray that his injury keeps him out next week. Last season when he went out against St. Louis the Rams had 7 points going into the 3rd quarter, and with him out they managed to take that to 27. He is the key to our D, and I promise if he had not been hurt NE wouldn't have passed 30).

The Grouch":1pkxn8d2 said:
If the Hawks can keep the SF ground game in check they should be in good shape... like somebody else said, this isn't the same offense that played in San Fran earlier in the season. That being said SF has a great D and it should be a great game. I don't think it's the D we need to worry about, it's the running game... and maybe a close second of keeping Vernon Davis out of the end zone.

:49ersmall:
And neither are we playing with the same offense. New quarterback, remember?
@ 5 rings: Who are you trying to convince with numbers? You beat the Pats the same way the Hawks did, you hit them in the mouth and gave them second thoughts. And yes, Justin Smith is the heart and soul of the D-line. Aldon Smith is getting his ass kissed by ESPN right now, but he isn't shit without Justin.

Question: How is Justin going to grab and hold two guys with an elbow injury? Pretty much the San Fran pass rush is one Smith grabs two guys, other Smith runs behind him to the QB.

I will not deny that Justin Smith is our defensive MVP, but Aldon Smith is no slouch. He's a good player. Justin is definitely the key here, though, and without him our defense isn't the same.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
5golden,

Excuses? No an excuse would be saying the 9ers DB's got away with illegal contact the ENTIRE 1st half.. see thats an excuse, Saying the Pats blew the game by dropping balls and fumbling (which is VERY VERY unlike our team.) is an observation. Th 9ers won the game but I know I wouldn't "fear" them in a rematch even in SF. Unlike what HAWK fans saying you punched us in the mouth and won, nope we lost to the Hawks because of the 12th man, and it keeping the Pats out of the hurry up offense. We lost to the niners because of the Pats playing SLOPPY in the first half PLUS.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":3kybi87n said:
5golden,

Excuses? No an excuse would be saying the 9ers DB's got away with illegal contact the ENTIRE 1st half.. see thats an excuse, Saying the Pats blew the game by dropping balls and fumbling (which is VERY VERY unlike our team.) is an observation. Th 9ers won the game but I know I wouldn't "fear" them in a rematch even in SF. Unlike what HAWK fans saying you punched us in the mouth and won, nope we lost to the Hawks because of the 12th man, and it keeping the Pats out of the hurry up offense. We lost to the niners because of the Pats playing SLOPPY in the first half PLUS.

You and 5_Golden_Rings's back-and-forth here probably belongs in the NFL forum, as it's not really Seahawks related.

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
My only concern is that the Hawks have been going to the zone read more and more as their bread and butter lately. Harbaugh is pretty familiar with how to properly defend this style of offense going back to his Stanford days vs the Oregon Ducks. I would like to see our staff add another wrinkle or two off of the zone read just to keep the D off balance.

The Radish

Reaction score
strohmin":5vppqvcn said:
No I am not scared of the defense and neither is our team. Can't wait for this game, but I would have been more excited if the patriots weren't full of chokers.

Funny so many are bitching about the Pats.

You perhaps are forgetting that WE are the team that was full of chokers in 3-4 games this season.

Why are you blaming/expecting some other team to do our job for us? We're in this position because we lost, not because NE lost.

:141847_bnono:

HawkinSinCity

Reaction score
Fear the Niner defense? Yup. Theirs was the only game this season that I have seen our lines on BOTH sides of the ball dominated for 60 minutes solid. I hope our guys took the lesson, Cable paid attention, and they have an answer for it. Lines crumble and everything else becomes much more difficult. Both teams have evolved since the first match.... this will be very interesting.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
If Seattle comes out and has a case of the dropsies like last time, it's going to be a long game. But I think Wilson and Lynch are fearless in the face of the 9ers and I expect that to be contagious.

BayAreafbfan

Reaction score
Largent80":djwbbhgf said:
I think they better be scared of our offense.

How so? I seem to remember the 49ers blowing out the Jets and Bills and then getting a beat down by the Giants. Blowing out the Bills is a weak measuring stick to gauge how great an offence is.

The Radish

Reaction score
BayAreafbfan":wc3c5utp said:
Largent80":wc3c5utp said:

How so? I seem to remember the 49ers blowing out the Jets and Bills and then getting a beat down by the Giants. Blowing out the Bills is a weak measuring stick to gauge how great an offence is.

And who asked you to do that? If you're going to continue to just find arguing points forever you might find yourself in the short stay unit here.

Oh yeah, getting tied and then beaten by St. Louis might be the same on your side of the ball.

BayAreafbfan

Reaction score
The Radish":6w52svh7 said:
BayAreafbfan":6w52svh7 said:
Largent80":6w52svh7 said:

And who asked you to do that? If you're going to continue to just find arguing points forever you might find yourself in the short stay unit here.

Oh yeah, getting tied and then beaten by St. Louis might be the same on your side of the ball.

No denying that. Those two Rams game were terrible. Just pointing out that blowing out two bottom feeder teams in a row doesn't mean you have a top tier NFL offence. They are good wins and I credit you that but we have all seen this time and time again in the NFL over the years.

hawker84

Reaction score
your point is pointless... good teams beat bad teams badly.... good offenses score on good defenses, case in point last night...good offenses destroy bad defenses, case in point yesterday and last week...

this game is going to come down to dicipline, taking care of the ball, and executing and making plays....

niners will make their plays , hawks will make their plays, whoever makes the key plays will win..

point is you barely beat us at your place, when we had a rookie qb under center and backs and recievers who couldn't catch a cold... guarentee that offense will not be on the field come sunday... and i also guarentee the 12th man will be raging, this is a playoff game for us... you will get our best.

iigakusei

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":y3a0v60z said:
The niners are overrated.
Don't let your hatred for them get in the way of common sense.
They are one of the best teams in the league and we will need to bring our A game this week in order to beat them.

formido

Reaction score
BayAreafbfan":1n63hvul said:
The Radish":1n63hvul said:
BayAreafbfan":1n63hvul said:

No denying that. Those two Rams game were terrible. Just pointing out that blowing out two bottom feeder teams in a row doesn't mean you have a top tier NFL offence. They are good wins and I credit you that but we have all seen this time and time again in the NFL over the years.

Actually, it kind of does. Seattle is top 5 in point differential and point differential is a better predictor of future wins than won/loss record.

Although, an interesting thing about that. SF beat the Pats but the Pats were overrated, as I said far and wide before the game. I expected this win. The Patriots run up the score against every team they can. They play an aggressive passing offense to the very end and usually tack on 1 or 2 extra touchdowns. Then the media builds them up like they're the best team in 10 years. Point differential is a great predictor EXCEPT when compared to a couple other elite teams like Seattle[1] and SF, who don't run up the score. When the Patriots play truly elite teams, they're exposed as only elite, and not all-timer status.

[1] Seattle has finished two games this season on long time eating drives. In the last two games when they've "run up the score" according to the media because of specific single plays they've highlighted, Seattle has put a tiny handful of extra points on the board, I think 10 total out of over 100. They could have easily scored 70+ each game. These point differentials were legit indicators of quality.

Largent80

Reaction score
BayAreafbfan":2x81gu6a said:
Largent80":2x81gu6a said:

How so? How about we were just beginning with a new quarterback and instibility on the oline. When we played you the first time. This team resembles that one in uniform only.

Argue all you want but this offense is clicking and confident, and if sf tries that trap shit on us this game they are in for a long day