Deon Butler Sighting.

MrCarey

Reaction score
I was seriously worried about this weekend until this happened. I really like Butler.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
After Patrick Willis snapped his leg and he still held on to the ball for that TD, I'm always going to be pulling for that kid.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
Seeker":15jcee1m said:
seriously why did we let durham go again?

I can't say for certain but he didn't run the right routes/made mental mistakes in his last game for Detroit. He made a great catch but its more important that you actually execute what you are supposed to do every down than make a circus catch every once in a while.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Durham looked bad in preseason in the limited time he was healthy.

I'm really liking bringing Butler back. I thought they should have brought him back several weeks ago when we were down to 3 receivers, but I believe he was trying out for the Texans that week anyway. Deon is capable of doing quite a bit, and is a better play by a longshot than your average "street free agent" type. He is the type that can come in and make some big plays.

We've seen it before with Pete Hunter, maybe we see it again with Deon. Interesting thing that Deon was a starter here not too long ago. I don't know what he did to get beat out by Charley Martin, but apparently Martin just had a better preseason. I've actually seen Butler do something in the regular season though. Maybe his leg just got so messed up that he'll never be the same. That would be a real shame, because he was a burner.

Pstark3

Reaction score
TheHawkster":19kg4jqt said:
After Patrick Willis snapped his leg and he still held on to the ball for that TD, I'm always going to be pulling for that kid.
Agreed. the guy was a definite up-and-comer until he broke his leg. I'm sure he's only going to get better

Greenhell

Reaction score
Mark my words, Deon Butler will catch a game winning TD next week against the Whiners to break their back and spirit. :D

sutz

Reaction score
I always thought of Butler as Bobby Engram 2.0. Similar size and skillset IIRC, just not as experienced, of course. Wasn't he also a Penn State alum?

Would have loved to hang on to him and see him develop ala Tate. If we could get him back in the fold, he could contribute in just a couple of weeks IMHO. Fans are largely too impatient with young players, especially at WR.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
My thoughts on the deon butler cutting was this.
WE thought we were going to have Flynn as our starter, and Flynn simply does not have wilsons arm, so without the ability to throw as deep as butler can get (4.25 speed I think) it was pointless to keep him.
He has great hands, and runs good routes... and is a deep threat.
However.. We already have 2 midget wide outs in Baldwin and tate.
that's my thoughts and i'm sticking to it.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SEC FAN":3hzst5ss said:
Seeker":3hzst5ss said:
seriously why did we let durham go again?

I can't say for certain but he didn't run the right routes/made mental mistakes in his last game for Detroit. He made a great catch but its more important that you actually execute what you are supposed to do every down than make a circus catch every once in a while.

I thought Durham sucked for the Lions in the game I saw against Green Bay. They kept targeting him and he kept finding a way to not get open enough and not come up with the ball. Made me glad that PC/JS let him walk. Now the head-scratcher is Evan Moore, and when if ever he will start making plays for Seattle.

BASF

Reaction score
I am glad that we are taking a look at Butler again. I like the young man a lot and hope we sign him. I believe the reason we let him go was the blocking on running plays. His size is a bit detrimental in being able to move the corners away from the running lanes to his side.

canzag

Reaction score
I see him playing vs the Bills.With Sidney ailing we might need him so it makes sense to dress him.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":3dzscoee said:
Im Surprised we didnt sign Lockette off the 49ers practice squad , or can we not do that?

Yeah we can. The only rules are that if you take another teams practice squad player he automatically is elevated to the 53 man roster. You have to pay him for 3 weeks as a member of the 53, even if you cut him. And you cannot sign an opposing teams practice squad player withinin 6 days of playing them.

Maybe we could have gotten some insider information we didn't already know about the 49ers comming up?