Will the obsession with Wilson's height ever end?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":2554sde6 said:
Just don't mess those up Peyton has a whole network of Papa John restaurants.

No worries. In my mind, Pete is P2, or Double-P, like a rapper.

Let's face it, if Pete Carroll actually made a rap video, it'd probably be absolutely hysterical.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me one bit. It will always be something where someone doesn't believe in him... Much like tom Brady

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Let them talk, they look like unimformed morons when they do (hey Hugh!). What are they going to say when he brings home a Lombardi or 2????

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":1w7ghqkd said:
Seanhawk":1w7ghqkd said:
Galen96":1w7ghqkd said:
did they ever get over flutie's height?

No, because he was never any good. How often do you hear about Drew Brees' height? Not very much.

Actually Flutie did pretty well considering, he sure kicked our ass regularly when he played in Buffalo, he was the player that truly fought the height stigma, Wilson we hear about it, Flutie was constantly battleing it with coaches on his own team. Ditka for one was really down on him for no other reason then that.

Yeah, I'll go with that. I'd agree Flutie is the player who most helped break the NFL QB "height barrier" in the modern era.
Flutie won plenty of games with his legs. His best 40 time was 4.69. I think Wilson's 40 is 4.55, so Wilson has a speed edge on Flutie.

From Wikipedia:
"The Bills' success continued with Flutie at the helm; his record as a starter that season was 8 wins and 3 losses. Flutie was selected to play in the 1998 Pro Bowl.
Flutie led the Bills to a 10–5 record in 1999 but, in a controversial decision, was replaced by Johnson for the playoffs by coach Wade Phillips, who later said he had been ordered by Bills owner Ralph Wilson to do so. The Bills lost 22–16 to the eventual AFC Champion Tennessee Titans in a game that has become known for the Music City Miracle, where the Titans scored on the penultimate play of the game — a kickoff return following the Bills' apparent game-clinching field goal.
The following season, Flutie was named the Bills' backup and only played late in games or when Johnson was injured, which was often. In fact, during the season, Flutie had a 4–1 record as a starter, in comparison to Johnson's 4–7. In a December 24, 2000 game against the Seattle Seahawks, Flutie achieved a perfect passer rating, completing 20 of 25 passes for 366 yards and three touchdowns. Following the 2000 season, Bills President Tom Donahoe and head coach Gregg Williams decided to keep Johnson as the starter and cut Flutie."

Never understood why the Bills didn't just make Flutie their guy those years. Seemed like he was the only QB who won any games for them. The "short QB" bias is as good an explanation as any.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Russell Wilson chose to be short.
Just to even the playing field.

kearly

Reaction score
Starting a topic discussing people who talk about Wilson's height /= starting a topic talking about Wilson's height. I'm not sure how some of you missed that. I thought it was pretty obvious.

To answer the question, no it doesn't bother me. When Wilson retires 15 years from now with top 10 career numbers and multiple championships, I look forward to hearing the storylines about how a guy that basically made history by even playing in the NFL ended up being one of it's best ever QBs. The amazing thing is, I actually believe that will happen.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Scottemojo":9v9icvo3 said:
I think this is going to be the most annoying thing to the more than casual Seahawks fan for the entire length of Wilson's career. Media dolts are going to be pointing out his height like he overcame some major handicap every time he does well, and the ignorant few will continue to point it out as a reason for failure until he wins it all.

What say you?

He's not prototypical NFL QB height, so what. Hes average height of most men in the US. He is not a dwarf or a hobbit or a small person. He's our QB and the future of this franchise.

I don't remember Hass catching so much flack for being bald.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Greenhell":2fhsve5z said:
Scottemojo":2fhsve5z said:
I think this is going to be the most annoying thing to the more than casual Seahawks fan for the entire length of Wilson's career. Media dolts are going to be pointing out his height like he overcame some major handicap every time he does well, and the ignorant few will continue to point it out as a reason for failure until he wins it all.

What say you?

He's not prototypical NFL QB height, so what. Hes average height of most men in the US. He is not a dwarf or a hobbit or a small person. He's our QB and the future of this franchise.

I don't remember Hass catching so much flack for being bald.
file.php