Adam Schefter: Tom Cable... future Seahawks Head Coach?

Rainger

Reaction score
PC will be our head coach for at least 5 to 7 more years. He will not quit until he holds the Lombardy trophy. You can take this to the bank.

chris98251

Reaction score
Nature has a way of slowing people down, Pete is a phenomenal example of energy and all, just hope he doesn't meet a wall at some point. Marv Levy was a lot like him in many ways and then we started to see him slip, it was sad really watching him erode trying to get one last shot in Buffalo.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm surprised Cable didnt knock Bevell out right there on the sidelines after some of his 3rd and short calls early in the season.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
rastahawk":lr5jpauj said:
Does anyone else think the Raiders were dumb to get rid of Cable?

Let's not forget that there was turmoil in the locker room in Oakland. Tom had "cold cocked" one of his assistant coaches and there was litigation going on....it was a bad scene. We do not have all the details, but perhaps he may have not received a vote of confidence from the players.

zhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":39zehn9k said:
Nature has a way of slowing people down, Pete is a phenomenal example of energy and all, just hope he doesn't meet a wall at some point. Marv Levy was a lot like him in many ways and then we started to see him slip, it was sad really watching him erode trying to get one last shot in Buffalo.

wasn't he in his late 70's in his second stint?

pehawk

Reaction score
I hope this is the case.

Tom did a PHENOMONAL job in Oakland. What ever the Raiders season ending record is, add 2.5 games to TRULY gauge the coach. It's the hardest place to coach in the league, IMO. Beyond horrific. I actualyl felt sorry for that franchise while attending that 2010 game. They have 3 Lombardi's and play in an embarassment of a stadium...and everything is below arena league levels amenities and gameday vibe wise. It's a sorry, sorry place.

kearly

Reaction score
I still can't erase the memories of Cable's 2010 Raiders team utterly destroying our Seahawks team in 2010. Granted, there were 10 teams that beat Seattle by multiple scores that year (!), but that loss was the most vicious of them all.

Cable actually did pretty well in Oakland by the recent standards of that franchise. The fact that he took an Al Davis team to 8-8 should be considered award worthy.

That said I really hope that Carroll stays here until he basically can't keep up with the NFL anymore. Given his gifted mind, I don't think that day is coming any time soon.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
kearly":3lkfvgij said:
That said I really hope that Carroll stays here until he basically can't keep up with the NFL anymore. Given his gifted mind, I don't think that day is coming any time soon.

All he has to do is......WIN!!

Atradees

Reaction score
I like Cable......I also like Kelly from Oregon and his offensive genius. The NFL is ready for such madness.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3dsd9h5m said:
Pete is the youngest 60-year-old ever. I just don't see him petering out anytime soon.

Nice to see an article like this, though, that DOESN'T involve Pete being "on the hot seat".
I see what you did there.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":dmlg2cv8 said:
rastahawk":dmlg2cv8 said:
Does anyone else think the Raiders were dumb to get rid of Cable?

Let's not forget that there was turmoil in the locker room in Oakland. Tom had "cold cocked" one of his assistant coaches and there was litigation going on....it was a bad scene. We do not have all the details, but perhaps he may have not received a vote of confidence from the players.

A lot of that story came out very early as I believe it happened in the preseason. The guy in question who got "cold cocked" did nothing as far as reporting this whole situation to the police until AFTER he asked Al Davis for a promotion to be quiet and didn't get it.

He was Al's self appointed stoolie that was sent to spy on Cable, and everybody and I mean everybody in the locker room fully had Cable's back. I have yet to hear a word from anybody that questioned the way he ran the team or how he handled the situation with the guy who got "cold cocked". The story I've heard as more of it came out was that the guy basically went in looking for a fight, pushed Tom to the point where they had to be separated, and then he tried to work it into a promotion. Nobody supported that guy as far as I know. I think he seriously thought he could get Tom fired and be named head coach due to his job as Al's personal spy. That scene was ugly, but not one person involved that saw the whole thing thought Tom was in the wrong.

I'm not big on punching people, but I've been goaded to the point where somebody has nearly gotten it. In a high stress situation where a guy is chirping that he's going to have your job and reveals that it's his job to spy on you and make sure you run certain plays (basically the vertical offense Al is still in love with from his grave), then I can see how things would get heated.

The firing occurred long after the incident, and the players were stunned and many spoke out saying that the firing of Cable was idiotic, and they've been proven 100% right. What happened after he got run out of town? His successor tried to renegotiate his own contract and get himself named general manager with like 3 games left in the season and he did lose the players. They felt it was disrespectful to them and that he had put himself ahead of the team. Nobody ever felt that way about Cable.

I think you need look no further than what Cable did before he was the head man in Oakland and since he came to Seattle. Has there been any stories about him punching people's lights out or being anything but great to work with? I've not heard one. In fact I've heard nothing but the opposite throughout his entire career. I'd be very inclined to take his side in the whole incident.

I have a friend here in Utah who has season tickets and sits in that crazy section of Raiders fans (blanking on their name). He has flown out for games every week for probably 20 years and he is really connected to lots of people in the organization. When it all happened I asked what he thought, and he gave me the answer that the guy who got punch was looking for trouble and a promotion. Then when Cable left he was so pissed it made me sad for him. Then when the Hawks hired Cable he congratulated me on our team getting such a spectacular coach and he said he's going to vote for the Seahawks to win now just to see Cable do well and prove the idiots in the front office in Oakland wrong. He was pretty adamant, as were all of his cohorts.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Wow, I don't like that guy's face. Looks like the dickhead from the "wedding singer".

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Sharkhawk wrote:
I have a friend here in Utah who has season tickets and sits in that crazy section of Raiders fans (blanking on their name). He has flown out for games every week for probably 20 years and he is really connected to lots of people in the organization. When it all happened I asked what he thought, and he gave me the answer that the guy who got punch was looking for trouble and a promotion. Then when Cable left he was so pissed it made me sad for him. Then when the Hawks hired Cable he congratulated me on our team getting such a spectacular coach and he said he's going to vote for the Seahawks to win now just to see Cable do well and prove the idiots in the front office in Oakland wrong. He was pretty adamant, as were all of his cohorts.

Thanks for the "inside" information on the assault of Mr. Hanson. I was just going by what the newspapers were reporting. They are not the most reliable sources....as you know. Nor do I have inside information whether or not Tom Cable would be a great Head Coach. It seems to me that as long a Pete can win here in Seattle, he and John can keep their jobs for a "long time". Tom might well receive offers from other clubs to be their HC in the near future.

The Radish

Reaction score
I have lots of Ray-Duh fan friends and they were livid to a man when Cable got fired. They all thought he had the team moving in the right direction.

My brother in law called me 3 days later cursing me. At that point I hadn't heard we had hired Cable. When he told me I laughed like hell which got me even more sworn at.

I loved it!!

:th2thumbs: