John Schneider Struck Gold and RW vs luck/ rg3

skater18000

Reaction score
Jay glazer just gave us credit for having a great draft... of course Russell Wilson then Wagner and a lil bit of IRVIN!!! Told us we had the best draft this year, better than anybody or something like that, and that people right after our draft said we got a grade like a d or f and they were wrong... felt nice seeing some credit go 2 the master mind (s) behind it all PC/JS...

Also got a decent but not great overlook from the regular Thursday night football guys (maruichI, deion, and irvin) deion said Russell of the rookie quarterbacks would take us the furthest in the playoffs and all the other clowns said Andrew luck and rg3. Deion specifically said it because of the team around him (Russell Wilson) You have to believe Russell is taking further than the clowns (rg3/luck)... right?

THOUGHTS?

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
bellyfat":2sg49v7z said:
Kiper should apologize to Wilson and admit he was wrong.

With all the other hawks fans, I would enjoy that...
:pukeface: Mel kiper

HawkWow

Reaction score
Kiper is the king of caveats. He will argue that he told his dog that if Wilson were a half inch taller, he'd be the real deal. Then he will accuse Wilson of growing a half inch since the combine.

Starrman44

Reaction score
HawkWow":2ahv9ycq said:
Kiper is the king of caveats. He will argue that he told his dog that if Wilson were a half inch taller, he'd be the real deal. Then he will accuse Wilson of growing a half inch since the combine.

:lol: That was pretty good. Kiper is a weasel, he can get out of anything. I have a feeling Gruden might just hold him to this one. Like a good old backyard wrasslin' match where the loser is the first one to get his face smeared in the pile of dog poo!!

bmorepunk

Reaction score
bellyfat":1htmr933 said:

Wilson should be thanking Kiper and all the analysts for not making him one of the top picks going to a crappy team. Seahawks fans should be ecstatic that Kiper and company undervalued Wilson, because it means the Seahawks (along with the aforementioned not being a top pick advantage) could get him.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm not defending Mel Kiper- the fact that he's almost always giving the Cardinals top draft grades speaks for itself- but the Kiper-bashing in regards to Wilson is a little silly I think. Why? Because all but just a few NFL GMs shared the same exact views. Even most of our scouting department was against the pick. Think about that. It was the conventional wisdom of the time.

I didn't fall into that trap. Neither did Hawkblogger or the excellent Matt Waldman. Neither did our amazing GM. Rather than bash Kiper, I think it's more appropriate to appreciate the coach and GM we have, two guys that are not afraid to go against the grain and take risks for players they truly believe in, no matter how unpopular the decision might be at the time.

AVL

Reaction score
Why expect an apology? Talking heads, like quarterbacks and weather forcasters, need to ignore/ forget their mistakes to seem credible.

Bipolar

Reaction score
the reason why Russell Wilson was picked in the 3rd round is percisely because the entire NFL community wasn't buying him as a legitimate starting QB, and Mel Kiper is probably 1 out of thousands who merely followed conventional wisdom. hell, most of us, Seahawks fans, weren't exactly thrilled to see us "wasting a 3rd round pick on a QB after we paid so much money for Flynn" either.

when you look at the numbers, height is really a good rule of thumb for selecting QBs that will last in the league. Mel Kiper was merely stating the obvious.
I don't really understand why everybody is hating him so much (besides his rediculous hair cut). virtually everybody was wrong on RW, besides a bunch of insiders and JS.

hell, I was wrong on RW too. I actually saw him play live when Badgers played against Gophers in Minnesota, he did really well, but I could never imagine that I was looking at a future NFL super star.

CANHawk

Reaction score
kearly":1p9e52cg said:
I'm not defending Mel Kiper- the fact that he's almost always giving the Cardinals top draft grades speaks for itself- but the Kiper-bashing in regards to Wilson is a little silly I think. Why? Because all but just a few NFL GMs shared the same exact views. Even most of our scouting department was against the pick. Think about that. It was the conventional wisdom of the time.

I didn't fall into that trap. Neither did Hawkblogger or the excellent Matt Waldman. Neither did our amazing GM. Rather than bash Kiper, I think it's more appropriate to appreciate the coach and GM we have, two guys that are not afraid to go against the grain and take risks for players they truly believe in, no matter how unpopular the decision might be at the time.

That's why the whole idea of "grading drafts" immediately after the draft and taking these hard line concrete stances on things (a'la Walter Football calling Bruce the worst pick in history) is beyond silly. How do you know who's good until you actually see them play. And in the case of a dude like Golden Tate, you may have to wait a few years before you see any measurable return on your investment. But i guess with 24/7 coverage, people need to make up some things to talk about just to fill time....

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
lol Kiper, I remember him saying about Brady when he was drafted that he was at BEST a poor mans backup...

bmorepunk

Reaction score
People want instant gratification, thus the draft grades coming out. Nobody used to watch the draft. It's like a game where you don't find out the results for a few years. But we need them grades.

I think some posters here are guilty of anti-Kiper. Wilson has been awesome, but they've extended him to be a sure-fire, first ballot Hall of Fame greatest quarterback of all time. Anything's possible, but the guy's got 13 games under his belt. Hopefully after a couple more seasons we're still this excited about the guy.

mikeak

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2n5oedhf said:
bellyfat":2n5oedhf said:

Wilson should be thanking Kiper and all the analysts for not making him one of the top picks going to a crappy team. Seahawks fans should be ecstatic that Kiper and company undervalued Wilson, because it means the Seahawks (along with the aforementioned not being a top pick advantage) could get him.

I am sure he appreciates his what $2.5 million contract over a $22 million contract. Unfortunately the thank you will be coming on card-board paper mailed and not hand-delivered satin paper you know due to the economy and all.....

NFL teams don't give a crap about what Kiper says. Sure they hear it for where others are going to pick them but htey make their own board. This has been proven many times but why else would Seattle have picked Irvin when they did. Sometimes the commentators are wrong (RW) and sometimes they are right (Heyward-bay)

mikeak

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":8cdi1ucz said:
lol Kiper, I remember him saying about Brady when he was drafted that he was at BEST a poor mans backup...

Good Point - Kiper was the only one that thought Brady wasn't a NFL starting qb.........