Greatest player ever

HawkWow

Reaction score
"Starting in each of his 180 games in Seattle, the Seahawks attempted more than 5,500 passes with Jones on the field, while Jones gave up a total of only 23 quarterback sacks, and was penalized for holding just nine times". Wikipedia.

Nine frikin' holds in 180 games while giving up just 23 sacks?? Crazy stats right there.

Starrman44

Reaction score
1a - Largent (my hero as a kid, so I am admittedly biased)
1b - Walt Jones
1c - Cortez Kennedy
1d - Kenny Easely

Honestly, I think all of those guys could arguably be the best ever at their positions in the NFL. If they had played for another franchise they would have been a lot bigger.

If you gave me truth serum, I would probably admit Walter was the best ever, but because him and my brother share the same name, and I am such a Largent Homer, I have to say #80.

Kennedy was absolutely amazing. One man wrecking crew at times. Kenny was a freak of nature.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":n3nm329n said:
Greatest player in team history is a very interesting debate between Largent and Walt. I've gone back and forth many times. I really can't decide anymore. Largent's legacy has been eroded by the way the game has changed and the number of players who have passed his career numbers, many of whom probably won't get into the hall.

I feel the same. My tie breaker comes down to who was more dominant. And when I look at Walts penalties and sacks given up I give him the edge. I would never argue anyone who felt different because Largent was the pioneer of the Seahawks. And even though I feel Largent wasn't as consistently dominant he was dependant of QB and Oline play and Walter controlled his own fate individually.

Starrman44

Reaction score
SEC FAN":3h5jlgmq said:
Hawkstorian":3h5jlgmq said:
Greatest player in team history is a very interesting debate between Largent and Walt. I've gone back and forth many times. I really can't decide anymore. Largent's legacy has been eroded by the way the game has changed and the number of players who have passed his career numbers, many of whom probably won't get into the hall.

I feel the same. My tie breaker comes down to who was more dominant. And when I look at Walts penalties and sacks given up I give him the edge. I would never argue anyone who felt different because Largent was the pioneer of the Seahawks. And even though I feel Largent wasn't as consistently dominant he was dependant of QB and Oline play and Walter controlled his own fate individually.

However, what Largent did in the era without an elite QB is impressive. Rice had Montana and Steve Young along with better playmakers around him.

Of course we are a pass happy league today. It's apples and oranges. That is why "best player ever" debates are so fun.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
Starrman44":3ipdgdee said:
However, what Largent did in the era without an elite QB is impressive. Rice had Montana and Steve Young along with better playmakers around him.

Of course we are a pass happy league today. It's apples and oranges. That is why "best player ever" debates are so fun.

Yep thats part of the reason I would never argue against Largent. Imagine if we were the Redskins and replaced Monk with Largent? And maybe Largent had an MVP or 2 in the SuperBowl. See how that changes everything lol. Largent was better than Monk. Now who do you got? A multiple time SuperBowl MVP or possibly the greatest left tackle ever? It can go either way and I know it.

Atradees

Reaction score
John L Williams: He was just a fine player. One of my favs.

Alexander the Great- Poetry in motion.

Dave Kreig- Most galvanizing either in respect or contempt.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Walter freakin' Jones

Dude was DOMINANT! Easily the best player at his position during his time in the NFL.

kearly

Reaction score
Russell Wilson. I can see into the future though, so it's not really fair.