Greatest player ever

ParisPC07

Reaction score
There is a discussion going on in /r/seahawks on reddit where people are referring a new fan to various articles to read to better understand the history of the Seahawks. One thread is discussing who are the greatest figures in the history of the franchise. What do you think?

I said Largent.

Edited to make the title clearer

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Biggest implies physical stature - recommend you change the thread title to allay confusion.

Largent is easily a front runner. For my money, players like Kenny Easley, Cortez Kennedy, Curt Warner and Walter Jones need to be in that discussion as well.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Greatest player in team history is a very interesting debate between Largent and Walt. I've gone back and forth many times. I really can't decide anymore. Largent's legacy has been eroded by the way the game has changed and the number of players who have passed his career numbers, many of whom probably won't get into the hall.

sam1313

Reaction score
Walt is probably the best player. Largent probably had the biggest impact. Cortez the most destructive. :mrgreen:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
There just isn't any way I could make that decision between Largent, Walt and Tez. I think I enjoyed watching the Early days of Tez the best. His rookie year, he missed some games but in just a matter of a few weeks he became a force. It is unfortunate that the 92 season happened, but he did anchor the single best defense that I believe the Hawks have ever fielded. I remember all the clamoring back then for the defensive players to play offense.

HawkWow

Reaction score
No love for RussellWilson (yet)? J/K.

Wow, the apples and oranges of it all is just making this a very difficult decision. I do know that his name has already been mentioned in this thread. I have my favorite (Easley) but I am unsure if that's because he was the best, or because he's just my favorite. So I cheated a bit and googled. I was surprised .shocked at how low Walt and Easley showed up on "greatest ever" lists. Neither man showed up in many top 10s and to me, that's pure BS and obviously based on popularity, or things out of the players control (like SB wins).

I once saw some stats on Walt that suggested to me he was top 3 all time. I don't have them in front of me, but they were so rediculous I almost couldn't believe them. (lack of) holding calls and sacks allowed really jumped out. I determined at that time that Walt was our greatest player ever, but throw in Tez, Largent and Easley and I am now unsure. I think Warner has to come on the heels of that group, though he could have ended up our best for sure. Where would one rank Hutch? I've not seen many guards better than Hutch. And had Tez been on better teams? He might just be that guy. Just really tough.

I'm gonna' say: Walt, Easley, Steve, Tez, Hutch, John L. / Warner (Wiliams & Warner are tied for my #6 spot).

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Gotta go with Walt. He may be best ever to play his position, you can't say the same about Largent or Kennedy IMO.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I have to go with Walter. He was routinely referred to as "The Best player in the NFL" by national media while in his prime. Steve, as much as we all love him and his awesomeness, I don't think ever had that said about him. Could be wrong. Walt will also be like Steve, a first ballot HOF'er, and IMHO the finest Seahawk to ever play. I'd have to chuck 'Tez into that argument as well, though it'd be hard to "chuck" Tez anywhere.... :)

Omahawk

Reaction score
As of right now, Walter Jones. Sometime down the road, Russel Wilson.

Mase

Reaction score
-- Since I am a defensive guy at heart, I want so badly to say Tez, who historically is one of my all time favorite Hawks (along with Rufus Porter). But if the question at hand is the greatest player ever to dawn the uniform, this is Walter Jones. There is no real debate, just wasted discussion. We have NEVER had a player dominate his position the way Walter Jones did. Despite hiding here in Northern Alaska, even the national media gave appropriate respect. Osi Umenoyra <sp> became a player of note in the NFL the day he had a good game against Walter. Patrick Kerney didn't. That is joke only fans who saw that game vs. Atlanta will get.

-- Walt. Hands down.

Mase

HawkWow

Reaction score
Mase":2k4qaw38 said:
-- Since I am a defensive guy at heart, I want so badly to say Tez, who historically is one of my all time favorite Hawks (along with Rufus Porter). But if the question at hand is the greatest player ever to dawn the uniform, this is Walter Jones. There is no real debate, just wasted discussion. We have NEVER had a player dominate his position the way Walter Jones did. Despite hiding here in Northern Alaska, even the national media gave appropriate respect. Osi Umenoyra <sp> became a player of note in the NFL the day he had a good game against Walter. Patrick Kerney didn't. That is joke only fans who saw that game vs. Atlanta will get.

-- Walt. Hands down.

Mase

I am hopeful Bruce serves up some Rufus for us soon. Porter was like dial-a-sack.

I don't disagree with your selection of Walt, but you can hardly say debating the issue is wasted time. Walt actually ranks lower at his position than Largent. I said above that these rankings generally appear to be popularity contests, but it's just very hard to choose the greatest when their respective positions vary so dramatically. Very subjective. Who knows, when it's all said and done, we might be talking about Jon Ryan here.

HawkWow

Reaction score
BlueThunder":3sxbryrx said:
I have to go with Walter. He was routinely referred to as "The Best player in the NFL" by national media while in his prime. Steve, as much as we all love him and his awesomeness, I don't think ever had that said about him. Could be wrong. Walt will also be like Steve, a first ballot HOF'er, and IMHO the finest Seahawk to ever play. I'd have to chuck 'Tez into that argument as well, though it'd be hard to "chuck" Tez anywhere.... :)

At their respective positions, Hutch shows up at or around exactly the same spot (all time) as Walt (typically around #9). That said, I agree Walt, as a LT, was better / more valuable than Hutch. But I like Hutch in my 5 spot (though he should probably be 3 or 4).

SharkHawk

Reaction score
1a- Walter Jones
1b- Kenny Easley
2- Cortez Kennedy

I think the thing that puts Jones at the top is the fact that he played longer and isn't mentioned with other players as often as Easley is (like you'll hear Easley and Lott mentioned together most of the time when people actually know what they are talking about). Jones is mentioned with Pace and others of his own era, but is said to be clearly the best, then he is compared to guys like Anthony Munoz, but Jones typically gets the nod. So Walter Jones isn't just the best Seahawk, he is the best tackle to play, and according to some, he may be the best player in NFL history when you don't take position into account. Jones was a better tackle than Brett Favre was a QB. He was more consistently excellent at his position than Jerry Rice was.

You have to put it in the terms of having a "perfect game" for a WR would be like 100 yards and a TD each game. Jones pretty much did that at his own position for multiple years straight. I realize it's comparing apples to oranges, but Jones was dominant at a position that is very difficult and you're tested with a rotation of guys and expected to bring it every single play. It isn't like a pass rusher who comes out on 1st and 2nd down, or a RB who comes out on 3rd down, or a WR who comes out when they go to a running formation and can "take the play off". He had to be ON every single offensive play for years upon years.

I didn't see Walter Jones have a single bad game until his knee was gone and he struggled on Thanksgiving against Dallas in his last full season. That run of his of sheer excellence was amazing, and was much more impressive than what Largent did (as impressive as Largent was).