We've only had 5 ten win campaigns in 36 seasons???

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Just read this stat, and if it is true, then that SUCKS.

But still, stats like that help you keep persepective, and realize how valuable the season we are having is right now. We are closing in on ten wins, and one of the most successful seasons in Seahawk history! We will remember this one for years to come folks!
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• The Seahawks are nearly the very definition of mediocre throughout their history. Let's hope they win at least 2 of the last 3 this year and begin the process of breaking out of that (or plenty of times worse) and the process of continued excellence begins.
    Oh, and keep in mind the first two seasons the Hawks (and everyone else) played a 14 game schedule. It's unlikely that they would've won 10 games in a 16 game schedule those two years anyway though.
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Well, I took Vegas to the woodshed this year winning my $1,000 ticket with last Sundays game, and getting to 10 wins is not going to be easy as SF is good and the Rams are way better than last year.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I have been a fan since day one, I don't care what their record is, I just want them in the playoffs. After the 88-99 draught, that is all that matters to me.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Well we've only had Tanzania on our side for year, so..
    quadsas
    NET Practice Squad

• Yeah, it's one reason why Seattle's such a forgettable team to many NFL fans. They've just been nondescript and mediocre their entire existence, really.

Since the advent of the 16-game season:

8 seasons of 6 or fewer wins
    5 seasons of 10 or more wins
    19 seasons where the Seahawks final record was either 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7

Not included in those totals are the 2 strike-shortened seasons when the Seahawks went 4-5 (1982) and 9-6 (1987).

This is a franchise that's essentially lived its entire existence with very few exceptions within a game of .500. It explains why we've never had a #1 overall draft pick, and why we have never won a SB (opinions about SBXL notwithstanding).

And it's one reason why I've been willing to give Carroll and Co. plenty of time in revamping this team. Fully revamping a team with a history like that isn't a one or two year project. And building a team that will become a contender year after year isn't usually done with a quick turnaround. I know many folks were demonstrating impatience with Carroll and Schneider late last season and early this season, and pointing to turnarounds like the year the Dolphins went from 1-15 to 11-5 or when the Rams went from 3-13 to 13-3 as evidence that our front office was taking too long. But the facts are that those Dolphins regressed to the mean, going back to hovering around .500... and they're still there. Those Rams were a power for a few short years, and then fell off the map for nearly a decade. To establish long-term success takes more investment in both time and resources. I think Carroll is on the right track.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• having a majority of 7-9 to 9-7 seasons is the recipe for perpetual mediocrity,...just good enough to make it very difficult to get franchise players in the draft
    Hamhawk
    NET Veteran

• This is exactly why I couldn't understand ppl wanting the team to lose for a "better draft pick" instead of getting in the playoffs at 7-9, only to see us knock off the World fricken Champs.

Playoff runs are rare around here, gotta enjoy every last damn minute of it. Obviously, being around 7 or 8 wins for so many seasons does make it tough. The worst year ever, as far as being mediocre, was the year we won 2 then lost 2, all season long, brutal.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I can't imagine Seahawks fans not knowing this. Its like "where have you been?"

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• On behalf of those of us who have been fans since 1976 -- I say WELCOME ABOARD.
    * NET Staff *

• Exactly. Been there since day 1 (might be dating myself a little). My first game in person was in 1979. Dang I'm getting old. There are probably quite a few "fans" out there who started liking the team in 2005. Oh well, the more the better.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• This also helps to explain the passion and frustration inherent in our fan base. We are historically "close" to being very good.

That's all about to change now, me thinks - I think we are starting a very good run of 4-5 seasons.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• For years, my friends and I referred to us at the Almost Hawks, for obvious reasons. I can't even think about how many games they blew over the years w/out my head wanting to explode.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I feel it's all due to the media bias.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Patriots have won 10+ games for 10 years now I believe. Why would we only have a good run for 4-5. I think JS is more important than PC in this whole thing and if we can keep that young man locked up we can be killing it for years.
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

• A lot of those years were in the AFC west and tiebreakers between 9-7 teams were enough to win the division.
    schkoot
    NET Practice Squad

• falcongoggles wrote:Patriots have won 10+ games for 10 years now I believe. Why would we only have a good run for 4-5. I think JS is more important than PC in this whole thing and if we can keep that young man locked up we can be killing it for years.

To me, the key to a run of success like the Pats have had is to continue to draft guys in the lower rounds that start or even better, end up like Sherman. They've had some really nice later round draft picks and that's what sustains your excellence IMO....well that and not whiffing in the upper rounds year after year *cough Aaron Curry* *cough Lo-Jack* *cough Timmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay*. Oh, and there's the QB thing too. Hasn't exactly hurt tham to have Brady in that time period. I beleive that Russ is that guy for this franchise.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Most disturbing.

And a certain poison pill contributed greatly to that ugliness (IMO).

...but that's all about to change. I predict we'll duplicate that (hideous) total over the next 5 years. Winning breeds winning and the secret is out. FAs will suddenly want to play in "Egypt" and we have a coach and FO that knows what the draft is about as well as a long term answer at QB. It seems like I've been saying this for a hundred years, but better times are ahead.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Jesus, we were in the AFC West when it was considered many times the best division in football, playing against Fouts, Stabler, Elway, Okoya and the Cheifs running game and dominant defense and managed to stay in the hunt most years. Being in a good division means you take your share of losses. Look behind the record and why before making stupid blanket statements.

I mean by that logic Wilson sucks ass since he has never had a 300 yard game and this is a QB driven league. You can't pass you can't win logic.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Jesus, we were in the AFC West when it was considered many times the best division in football, playing against Fouts, Stabler, Elway, Okoya and the Cheifs running game and dominant defense and managed to stay in the hunt most years. Being in a good division means you take your share of losses. Look behind the record and why before making stupid blanket statements.

And don't forget that Joe Montana and Marcus Allen played together for the Chiefs... and they were good together.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information