Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • After hearing the news that Rice is now in a walking boot because of a foot injury, it makes me wonder why we let Edwards go.

The talent gap between Rice and Charly Martin is Grand Canyon-esque. Not sure why Pete and John decided to release Edwards when they knew Rice had a chronic foot problem (along with his history of being hurt). We saw last year how limited our passing game is when Rice isn't in the game.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Because Braylon has a hamstring issue that they felt would keep him out at least 3 games.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

• I hope not. His few catches seemed to come in clutch moments, but they were still few.

I heard he was hurt again. I could be mistaken.
    ParisPC07
    NET Starter

• meh its not like Braylon is reliable anyways, healthy or injured.
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

• The guy did nothing, not worried about it at all. Beast Mode and Russell and the option plays they were doing vs. Chicago, we'll be golden.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Pete said he didn't think (and the team didn't think) Braylon would recover from his hamstring injury before the season ended. After Edward's season last year with the 9ers the Seahawks probably told him he had to stay healthy. Look at the last second, mysterious injury before the Lions game. Was surprised with his release, just as well as the Winslow release but not sure how bad these guys legs were.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Navyhawkfan187 wrote:Because Braylon has a hamstring issue that they felt would keep him out at least 3 games.

Then why would the Jets sign him?

Not saying Edwards was playing great, but he did have a TD catch (and almost a 2nd one in Chicago)........and is more dangerous than Martin. Just a little confusing is all if Rice's foot problem was known prior to the release.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• baldwin... te's need to play huge, backs need to catch the ball.... has it been confirmed rice is out this sunday?
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:. has it been confirmed rice is out this sunday?

No, he's listed as questionable right now.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Who?

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Navyhawkfan187 wrote:Because Braylon has a hamstring issue that they felt would keep him out at least 3 games.

Not saying Edwards was playing great, but he did have a TD catch (and almost a 2nd one in Chicago)........and is more dangerous than Martin. Just a little confusing is all if Rice's foot problem was known prior to the release.

I agree with this. An inactive Braylon Edwards is still more dangerous than a healthy Charley Martin.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.

Yes. I am not happy so much. I am too seriously! .. Kap is not a great leader period!! Hurt my heart and s**t my painfully. ..
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:The guy did nothing, not worried about it at all. Beast Mode and Russell and the option plays they were doing vs. Chicago, we'll be golden.

I see what you did there
    Aerik
    NET Practice Squad

• If Braylon Edwards is the answer, I don't like the question.

I think some of the reason he was released is that they were going to have to churn the roster somewhat because of the CB suspensions. Folks seem to forget that when you've got a guy suspended, or two guys suspended, it can really mess with the roster... you don't want to release healthy guys or guys that you know you need later, on the off chance that another team tries to pick them up and take advantage.

I don't think PC or JS thought anyone would want a dinged up Braylon Edwards for a few weeks. I'm kind of surprised the Jets took a flyer on him given his comments on Twitter.
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

• To me, he looked slow on his routes, and didn't do a good job using his height to his advantage.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Navyhawkfan187 wrote:Because Braylon has a hamstring issue that they felt would keep him out at least 3 games.

The Jets may have signed him because they know they're tied to Sanchez at QB, and they have zero WRs who have any chemistry or connection with him. Edwards did at one point, and they may be trying to recapture that (in other words, they're thinking longer-term than just the last 3 weeks of the season).

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• BocciHawk wrote:If Braylon Edwards is the answer, I don't like the question.

I think some of the reason he was released is that they were going to have to churn the roster somewhat because of the CB suspensions. Folks seem to forget that when you've got a guy suspended, or two guys suspended, it can really mess with the roster... you don't want to release healthy guys or guys that you know you need later, on the off chance that another team tries to pick them up and take advantage.

I don't think PC or JS thought anyone would want a dinged up Braylon Edwards for a few weeks. I'm kind of surprised the Jets took a flyer on him given his comments on Twitter.

Suspended players do not count against the active roster. Braylon was released because he presented no value to the team for the remainder of the year.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.

Yes. I am not happy so much. I am too seriously! .. Kap is not a great leader period!! Hurt my heart and s**t my painfully. ..
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:
    The Jets may have signed him because they know they're tied to Sanchez at QB, and they have zero WRs who have any chemistry or connection with him. Edwards did at one point, and they may be trying to recapture that (in other words, they're thinking longer-term than just the last 3 weeks of the season).

Makes sense. Just seems like a gamble on Pete's part, especially if he has plans on making a run in the playoffs (which he should right?).

Cause right now our receiver corp is comprise of;

- A hurt Rice
    - Tate who is just now playing up to his potential
    - Baldwin who also can't stay healthy this year
    - Martin (big question mark)
    - Kearse (fresh off the practice roster)

Even if Edwards was indeed going to be on the shelf for 2-3 weeks, that still means he could have added roster depth for the playoffs......ESPECIALLY if one or two of our receivers are hurt/banged up.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Winner winner, chicken dinner!
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• IMHO...the OP is making a "Mountain out of a molehill"! Pete said in his presser yesterday that Rice has had a sore toe for the season, but when he woke up Monday morning that his entire foot was sore. He had an X-Ray taken as well as an MRI. There was no appearant structural damage. So, the MD's advised him to soak it in Epsom Salts with warm water and limit movement as long as possible.

The medical staff advised Pete the Mr. Edwards's injury to his hamstring muscle would likely limit him severely for the next three weeks. Anyone who has had a sore hamstring realizes very quickly that it limits the speed you can run. Hence, the decision to release Mr. Edwards.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• The Jets like headlines , I thought that was obvious.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

• EastCoastHawksFan wrote:The Jets like headlines , I thought that was obvious.

Pretty sad if the Jets thought signing a underachieving journeyman WR again was exciting headline worthy.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

This is rational and well constructed. Which is why I disagree. ;) My take is: It's the Jets. They're a mess right now, and they aren't really bound to, ya know, rational thought.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• the jets and braylon deserve each other.
    blue 22
    NET Veteran

• The Jets have had a ton of injuries at WR. Edwards obviously knows the system. This, at the very least, is a team signing a street FA that is familiar with their offensive system, and can contribute right away. Similar to NE signing Branch again; they needed a body that knows the system.

The other more in depth speculation could be correct, but I think that's the major factor.

If Rice can't go, we need to run more 2 TE sets with McCoy and Miller, and just run and pass out of the same formation. We really want to screw up Buffalo, start out with the 2 TE sets and run no huddle.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• T.O. anyone?
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Rookie

• Bigpumpkin wrote:Hence, the decision to release Mr. Edwards.

Didn't realize that the Hawks signed Braylon's father.

How old is he?
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• This is a good thing
    They will have to spread the ball around and throw to tes and rbs more
    This is going to make us use the playbook on the road which is exactly what I want to see
    twelfman
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Edwards was never fully committed to this offense. Just didn't seem to be all in, at any point in the season. It was apparent in everything he did. In that respect, I believe he met the same fate as Winslow and TO. Guys like that can be a cancer on a team as cohesive as this one. Not bad guys per se, just not drinking the Kool Aid. And I get the impression that PC is one of the great Kool Aid peddlers in the game. I drank it,and it was good! :-)
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• Jermaine Kearse. Even though he couldn't bring in the would-be TD pass from Flynn. I didn't see it as a drop, but I only saw it the one time.
    Was it really a drop by Kearse? Anyone got a video link to that play?

I think releasing Edwards is basically saying that Pete thinks a healthy, all-in Jermaine Kearse helps the team more than a nicked up, less-committed Braylon Edwards. I'll go with that. And that having Charly Martin on special teams helps the team more than keeping Edwards around. I guess Edwards must have sucked as a special teams contributor.

And the Jets are desperately thin at WR so that even an injured Edwards is better than their #2 receiver. That's what's really going on, the Jets are desperate and taking a flyer on Edwards just like they did on Tebow. Plus Sanchez and Brayon already have some chemistry from before.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:16 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information