Team needs.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Scottemojo":8akvd9t0 said:
We won't spend a high pick on a RT.

Early draft needs/wants. Another receiver to move Golden into the slot. A LB to replace Hill. A TE. More pass rush.

Isn't Golden best suited for the outside? And don't we already have an effective Baldwin in the slot?

I'm alright with our TE's I guess...... I'm not thinking 1st rounder there.

If you read my post above you know I'm down with more pass rush :mrgreen:

SEC FAN

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2pcufugx said:
We won't spend a high pick on a RT.

Early draft needs/wants. Another receiver to move Golden into the slot. A LB to replace Hill. A TE. More pass rush.

Yep. You and I are on the same page. In order I would go LB (OLB/ILB either is fine since we are flexible) but he has to be rangy. WR, I would love some of our draft guru's to get deep on analysis on 1st/2nd round picks. DT/Nose Guard (we can't give up on the Clemons/Irvin experiment with Irvin being so inexperienced) and I say nose guard because I think we give up too many rushing yards up the middle/example = 49ers game. TE is my luxury, Miller seems to be building chemistry and McCoy may be on the verge of breaking out and remaining solid; Millers contract and concussions is questionable though.

OP
OP
P

ProckHawks

Reaction score
It pretty much sounds like pass rusher. I love Irvin and Clem. But Clems on the wrong side of 30 and Irvin has showen he can beast. But won't show up for weaks. We need a true 3 down DE who can get after the QB and play the run. Pretty much the 2nd coming of JJ Watt across from Bruce.

Wright and Wagner are main stays. I don't see Hill coming back. Smith has played well but is he a treat to rush QB's? I'd love to see some big beef upfront. Even tho our Rush D is still top 10. We've been gashed in a few games.

Rice Tate and Baldwin are all we have at WR. We all known Tate is a gamer but won't ever be a true 1. Rice is always a play away from IR it seems. He's our poor mans version of a real number 1. Baldwin is good but thats about it. No depth after those 3.

Overall I say.

DE/OLB
DT
WR
BACKUP QB
OG/OT
DB

SEC FAN

Reaction score
I understand why some want a pass rushing DE/DT, but from what I've seen so far in the draft I don't see those guys available. I'm not going to pretend like I'm a scout and I've seen them all but from the guys I've seen mentioned I'm not impressed. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks just go best player in the draft and try to find guys like Jason Jones, Atari Bigby, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow Jr., etc. at positions they may think are weaker. Guys who have shown potential and possible starter ability that they can get on the cheap and try out. And I could totally understand.

Just don't reach on position of need. Stay within yourself and if you have to trade up to get that position of need than do that. But don't sit back in the 20's draft pick scene and take some guy at DT/DE who may or may not be able to help.

AgentDib

Reaction score
When you feel really good about your talent depth you can afford to start forgetting about "needs" and instead look at upside.

Look for players with a few red flags. Draft a couple of guys who don't match the conventional wisdom quite right and who may bust. Take chances on risky players who have the potential to be great and are still on the board; select players who have fallen below where they should have been drafted if you only looked at raw talent.

Some of these players will not work out, but some will become difference makers. Our next franchise offensive lineman may be a center with question marks that we draft next season despite the lack of need at the position.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The draft will be BPA (best player available). As will FA, although we'll be spending more on retaining our own, but there may be some younger guys out there that may be able to help/compete and one of them may improve the roster. It will be about competing next year as usual.

QB - QBOTF in hand. Cannot rule out the possibility of trading Flynn. Could be a developmental pick here.

RB - All set here. Hopefully Leon comes back on a two year that's not too expensive. UNLESS, you want to go after a kid like that WVU player. Possibly game changing explosive at any time. Even if just a role player that might be worth a high pick and he's not even a RB....which brings us to possibly bringing in a few prospects to duke it out for 3rd back.

FB - These aren't the droids your're looking for. Leave this alone until we have no choice a la Mac Strong.

WR - Would like another true burner developmental guy who's capable of playing #1. Maybe not a high pick though. I very much like Rice and Tate now. They have a connection with our QB. Baldwin is working his way back in. Would like a 4th high ceiling prospect and then let Kearse, Tuinei, and Bates crack it back out with anyone else who can show a tiny something and play ST.

TE - Retain existing players here. I really like these guys. Let Cam battle it out with Moore and the other PS kid.

OL - Been saying Sweezy might need a shot at RT since preseason at some point and the offseason would be a time to experiment. Carp, I still think could be a pro bowl LG at some point, but he's a giant dude and I wonder if he isn't too giant for his own playing health. Will need to add a G or T along with our retained players depending on Sweezy. If you like a guy take him. BPA yet again. C I'm not worried about in the slightest or LT.

DE/DT - Not sure Jones is back. Scruggs showed up again on Sunday even if he didn't get a stat for it. A 285 pound kid who ran the 40 in the high 4.6s. Thought he was a project with limited film. Plays with good pad level naturally along with really nice athleticism. Natural tools to mold. Can play 5 or 3. Howard is sort of along those lines, but is bigger and not quite as fast. I believe he ran in the 4.7s at just over 300 pounds. Not quite as nimble as Scruggs, but good upside. Not sure Branch is back either, but he is pretty solid at 3 on run downs. Really solid actually. Still not sure he's back. Depends on the money and draft circumstances. Star will go to high for the Hawks. That kid would be nice. Keep thinking for some reason Suh might still want to play here as he's previously said, but I think that's two years off. Need a better backup for Bane. McDonald has been dissapointing at the POA. We get gashed more often when he's playing 1 tech. If there's a 3 tech there that they're in love with I wouldn't be surprised at that.

Another pass rusher won't hurt. Only having two outside rushers might be considered negligent. Injuries happen in the NFL. Maybe another inside rusher too. Good players will get cut in the summer.

LB. Wright is a hell of a 4-3 strong side backer. Does everything well. Didn't time fast, but plays fast. Wagner is stacking up with the best MLBs in the league even with some rookie mistakes here and there. With Wright's ability to slide inside and Morgan's ability to play strong side as well as Toomer being suited to compete there I'm not sure we add on the strong side or middle in particular. Smith will need someone to compete with though, but I won't be surprised if he wins. We have 4 LBs who like to hit and run 4.4 40s. It's a bit ridiculous actually. Some player would have to show a whole hell of a lot to get drafted high to play LB for the Hawks next year, IMO.

CB/S - We're loaded. End of story. And yet I won't be surprised if we add to it all. We may end up losing one, in fact, and have to invest more for the sake of high level starting competition. The Secondary has been a premium for the HC who used to play in the secondary.

Overall this will be a whole lot of competing yet again as previously stated. Just at a higher level, theoretically....

Smoke

Reaction score
I like our WR's while healthy, however, this is the second year that Rice has stayed healthy most of the year his entire career. Baldwin has major health concerns in college, and again this year. I would like to see a WR that has a skill set that is completely different than the WR's we have on the roster now. How Amazing would it be to have Rice play the #2 spot, Tate play the #3 spot, and have a true #1? That would be hard to contend with.

I would love to draft a dominate RG. I am still not sold on the interior of the line. I would love to see a nasty RG drafted. With a Healthy Carpenter playing LG, Breno working on the nuances of his game (getting himself under controll,) and Okung continuing in his progession we would be set on the Oline. Im not sold on our interior just yet, especially cause Carpenter feels very Marcus Tubbs like to me.

I would love a massive, hateful DT to pair up with Mebane. However, I don't think we find that guy this draft. However, I feel that if we could find a different, slightly less Red Bryant elephant DE we could move Bryant in and let him be that nasty interior DT that could destroy along side Mebane.
So I guess that means that a good 3-4 "elephant DE" would be what I would like to draft in the DE position.

I would like to see us Draft Chase Thomas at OLB. He is the missing piece to our LB core. Also a Stanford dude, so could be someone who Pete has his eyes on.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Personally, I think Thomas is a bigtime boom or bust pick. Doesn't cover much and not enough explosion. Plays technical as a pass rusher and college kids aren't used to that. They are in the NFL and Thomas isn't that quick, strong, or fast and often I question his motor. He's got no secondary move and gives up if his primary move doesn't work too often. Also too often see him jogging across the field when he could stop a gain shorter if he hustled. I know a lot of people think Clay Matthews when they see him, but he's actually closer to his brother Casey athletically.

Thomas is going to be a 3-4 OLB where he isn't asked to cover much. JMHO though....

Smoke

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2fjxusn9 said:
Personally, I think Thomas is a bigtime boom or bust pick. Doesn't cover much and not enough explosion. Plays technical as a pass rusher and college kids aren't used to that. They are in the NFL and Thomas isn't that quick, strong, or fast and often I question his motor. He's got no secondary move and gives up if his primary move doesn't work too often. Also too often see him jogging across the field when he could stop a gain shorter if he hustled. I know a lot of people think Clay Matthews when they see him, but he's actually closer to his brother Casey athletically.

Thomas is going to be a 3-4 OLB where he isn't asked to cover much. JMHO though....

I want him for his zone covering abilities. I think Thomas would be a perfect complement to the LEO position. I am not looking for a crazy person Clay Matthews Type, I am looking kinda for a Lance Briggs type. I believe that Thomas can maintain his gap and cover his zone. He just looks like the rich man's Leroy HIll/Malcom Smith to me. JMHO tho.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SEC FAN":upbe9ip4 said:
I understand why some want a pass rushing DE/DT, but from what I've seen so far in the draft I don't see those guys available. I'm not going to pretend like I'm a scout and I've seen them all but from the guys I've seen mentioned I'm not impressed. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks just go best player in the draft and try to find guys like Jason Jones, Atari Bigby, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow Jr., etc. at positions they may think are weaker. Guys who have shown potential and possible starter ability that they can get on the cheap and try out. And I could totally understand.

Just don't reach on position of need. Stay within yourself and if you have to trade up to get that position of need than do that. But don't sit back in the 20's draft pick scene and take some guy at DT/DE who may or may not be able to help.
An off season for Scruggs might be all he needs to be the guy for 3rd down DT.
One thing that affects our ability to take a WR in the 1st round is that Pete wants guys who can play all three spots. This front office grades receivers with the sharpest pencil possible.

Right now, my target player is CJ Mosley.

Bipolar

Reaction score
A glaring need for upgrade right now is an elite WR (of Julio Jones / AJ Green stature).

Sidney Rice is damn good, but he is always an injury risk... and Golden Tate is not a true #1 WR.

also, from what I remember from the 9ers game, our D-line was physically outmatched by their elite O-line. this is unacceptable. I don't care what they do, but somebody needs to stop those runs when the big Red isn't able to go.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I'd like to see more WR depth, but my main desire would be another monster pass rusher. One of the reasons the Giants seem to always be in playoff contention is that they keep drafting pass rushers year after year and aren't reliant on one or two guys being able to get to the QB. They seem to have 5-6 solid rushers.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3dvutyrq said:
I'd like to see more WR depth, but my main desire would be another monster pass rusher. One of the reasons the Giants seem to always be in playoff contention is that they keep drafting pass rushers year after year and aren't reliant on one or two guys being able to get to the QB. They seem to have 5-6 solid rushers.

Seconded. You can never have too many great pass rushers or cornerbacks, IMO.

canfan

Reaction score
I would love to see a high pick spent on a nasty, pocket collapsing D Tackle. And I never thought I'd be saying it, but we likely could use a midround pick on Oline. Carpenter may be the answer as a guard, but its hard to tell when he's in the cold tub all the time! Also, Moffit is starting to look like a better backup than starter, so an upgrade isn't a bad idea. After that, I could see adding depth at wide receiver and linebacker. If Da'Rick Rogers is still around in the second round I think he would look really good opposite Sydney Rice! Character concerns but that doesn't scare Pete much!!

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

hoxrox

Reaction score
A monster DT that can collapse the middle. Right now, we're not getting a lot of pressure when sending just 4.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm starting to think we need to draft an O-lineman every year within the first four rounds. It has been what, 7 years since we had a year with good health there? : /

Throwdown

Reaction score
In order of importance to me:

OLB - I think Hill might be done here in Seattle, and Malcolm Smith has looked good but if we can and want to get guys like Alec Ogletree, or CJ Mosley I don't see how you can pass either guy up.

WR - I love what Tate and Rice have been doing, but who else is there? Baldwins been down and sometimes out this season but he's seemed to get back on track, I think it'd be nice to add another playmaker though

TE - Anthony McCoy was money against AZ and a has been a few other times, I'd like to bring in some competition for him though to see if he can keep it up

RT - Giacomini drives me nuts at times, sometimes misses blocks or pulls off a boneheaded play here and there, but he isn't bad, he needs some competition though.

DT - I want Jones back, but you can never have too many good DT's

DE - Like with DT, can't have too many

S- We're fine

CB - We're fine, maybe add one or two just to keep things interesting.

QB - Maybe a developmental guy, Matt Scott?

RB - I'd bring in competition for Washington, Turbin and Lynch are the head honchos of this group.