Russell Wilson, Seahawks are Super Bowl contenders - SI.com

salamander

Reaction score
The national media is starting to OVER-hype the team. The Chicago win was good, but we may have been a coin flip away from losing that one, and we are only a few weeks off a loss to Miami. None of our remaining games are gimmies.

Steve2222

Reaction score
salamander":3f3s4erx said:
The national media is starting to OVER-hype the team. The Chicago win was good, but we may have been a coin flip away from losing that one, and we are only a few weeks off a loss to Miami. None of our remaining games are gimmies.

We were a coin flip from losing the game? Sure.....but we were also a play here and a play there from being 7-0 on the road at this point.

Should've, could've, would've game goes both ways.

salamander

Reaction score
I'm not saying we don't have a chance, but we're getting a ton of hype based off a throwaway game. The Cardinals are beyond bad. The Chicago game was good, but our defense blew a 3 point lead with 20 seconds left. That was after giving away the game to Miami.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
salamander":2sv1xqlj said:
The Cardinals are beyond bad.

The Cardinals offense is beyond bad. Their defense and special teams are not. Hell, their defense is ranked 6th AFTER the whooping we gave them. 58 points against the Cardinals is more impressive than if we had put 58 up against a good number of other poor teams in the league. If it makes you feel good to think any other team in the league could have just put a 58-0 on the Cardinals this week, then at least cop to it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Lol some of you bastards are freakin bipolar and it cracks me up.

"Omg, we totally get disrespected by the national media. They haven't claimed Russell Wilson will save us all from the Mayan apacolypse, and Marshawn Lynch is the best back ever"

Then we get some good pub (which Cowherd has been gushing about us for weeks....after we destroyed the Tards he's driving the freaking team bus) and it's like "Oh Noooooo, I'm skairt! Now we're not disrepected"

hahahahah I seriously love it.

The media is putting pressure on us that the team should already be feeling. Flushing that Miami game down the toilet when we had it now puts major pressure on us to win out. Thing is, we'll probably make the playoffs with a BUF and SF loss, since BUF is AFC and we'll most likely own conference tie breakers. But now the 2nd seed is squarely in sight, and winning all the games means a ton. I'm seriously pumped up about this....my heart has been racing through every play of every game (except AZ) since the start of the Miami game. I knew how important this was becoming and I'm on pins and needles, but it's great. Much better than none of these games being meaningless since we're at 5 wins.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Hawks46":1l0a40v4 said:
Lol some of you bastards are freakin bipolar and it cracks me up.

"Omg, we totally get disrespected by the national media. They haven't claimed Russell Wilson will save us all from the Mayan apacolypse, and Marshawn Lynch is the best back ever"

Then we get some good pub (which Cowherd has been gushing about us for weeks....after we destroyed the Tards he's driving the freaking team bus) and it's like "Oh Noooooo, I'm skairt! Now we're not disrepected"

hahahahah I seriously love it.

The media is putting pressure on us that the team should already be feeling. Flushing that Miami game down the toilet when we had it now puts major pressure on us to win out. Thing is, we'll probably make the playoffs with a BUF and SF loss, since BUF is AFC and we'll most likely own conference tie breakers. But now the 2nd seed is squarely in sight, and winning all the games means a ton. I'm seriously pumped up about this....my heart has been racing through every play of every game (except AZ) since the start of the Miami game. I knew how important this was becoming and I'm on pins and needles, but it's great. Much better than none of these games being meaningless since we're at 5 wins.

QFT

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
If we can step up and win at Buffalo and against SF and the Rams, we are legitimate Super Bowl contenders. If we get into the playoffs any other way, I'll harbor my doubts. Good teams get into the playoffs. Great teams start to dominate and take the game from everyone else at the end of the season. We are hyped higher than we're used to seeing all of the sudden. These last three games will determine if it's over-hype or merited.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I totally agree Sailor. If we sneak into the playoffs, or need help getting in from other teams, I'm not optimistic about making a deep run.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Really good article, but man.......lets just let the season play out before we start with the are we or aren't we Superbowl contenders.

seahawks08

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2bmqhti0 said:
Anyone scared to death of articles like this?

Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy reading the praise. And everything he writes is logical.

It's just... if we go to Toronto and lose to the Bills this weekend, you'll probably read an article saying the Seahawks blew it... that they're frauds. That they had a chance to create a NFC West 'title game' almost next week and couldn't get it done. So while praise is great... I just we're reading the same kind of things with the NFC West title already locked up.

Pete always says, there are things you control and things that you don't control. Don't worry about things that you can't control, do what you need to do and win the game, that is the only thing you can control. I like that philosophy. Seahawks are playing every game as a playoff game, so I don't see them letting the gas off on any of these games from here on, that's my belief.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is one of the best articles I have read in a long time. Straight forward, clear, honest language. I especially liked this:

"Blame the geographic isolation, East Coast bias, aquamarine and sea green uniforms or the organization's own general lack of success.

One Super Bowl appearance and just five 10-win campaigns in 36 seasons will leave a team something of an after-thought in a crowded league that craves big names and glitzy headlines.

But the reality is that if the Seahawks played in a larger market, and if Wilson were the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, they might be the talk of the football world this week."

I get frustrated when our players get overlooked for awards because of the east coast bias, but I fully understand the reasoning of why the Seahawks as a team are overlooked. They/We just haven't earned it yet. But with John Schneider, Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson at the helm of a group of top-notch players, this team is going places.

There might be a stumble here or there, growing pains, but it won't lead to further struggles. Unlike with past teams, this team takes adversity and stands it on it's head. I have never felt this confident about the Seahawks except for brief periods of the Chuck Knox/Dave Kreig era and the 2005 season. This team is better than any of those teams, and I believe it is the best team in Seahawks history, mainly because of it's ability to overcome adversity.

Twisted

Reaction score
just don't like him saying Hawks should go to toronto and win like its a cinch, its NOT, they like starting the circus early though, as a player I wouldn't read anything these guys write... eat, sleep, and drink football, save the gossip for the girls..

Largent80

Reaction score
A lot of people around here act like a bunch of pussified ninnies.

We ARE going to go to Toronto and kick the Bills' asses.

Got it?

Steve2222

Reaction score
Largent80":1r5dtnkq said:

Got it?

Said the same thing about Miami.

We will no doubt kick their asses. Doesn't mean we'll win though. We beat the living hell out of Carolina and they still almost beat us.

Largent80

Reaction score
Steve2222":1hgsgs0m said:
Largent80":1hgsgs0m said:

Got it?

Said the same thing about Miami.

We will no doubt kick their asses. Doesn't mean we'll win though. We beat the living hell out of Carolina and they still almost beat us.
So you are saying you are in the pn crowd?
Maybe you said we would win in Miami and we should have but I didn't. I am saying we win in Toronto. Got it?

Veilside

Reaction score
Largent80":37exr93j said:

Got it?

I don't know about ninnies, but getting pussified is by far one of my favorite things to do!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":sqo9hbtl said:
Anyone scared to death of articles like this?

Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy reading the praise. And everything he writes is logical.

It's just... if we go to Toronto and lose to the Bills this weekend, you'll probably read an article saying the Seahawks blew it... that they're frauds.

And the article will be correct. If Seattle can't go on the road with all their talent, keep their focus after a successful game, and defeat one of the league's worst teams, then they're not legitimate playoff contenders. It still just comes down to this team proving its consistency week after week.

I'm optimistic about this team's trajectory, but they still have a lot of fans on edge after the Miami loss and I'm sure they understand why.

Latest posts