Unneccesary Roughness on Rice

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Did the Bear's Safety get fined for the Rice hit on the last play against the Bears. IMO if ET got fined against the Dolphins than surely that safety should have been fined. A forearm to Rice's helmet should have been a penalty IMO.

The way the rules are written virtually every BIG HIT over the middle will draw a flag. I don't particularly like it but I think our safeties have learned how to NOT make those questionable hits. You rarely see Kam make those type of hits like he did last year that drew flags.

My initial though on that hit was that it was a head shot and a flag should fly. After the replay I see it was much more of a clean hit than I thought.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I agree with everyone who says it was a clean hit and a bad call, however... At the time it occurred the game was completely out of hand and starting to get very chippy. It was starting to look like Arizona guys were just looking for opportunities to lay a nasty shot on our guys (clean your reservation otherwise). I'm pretty sure the refs throwing the flag there was just a way to keep everything calm and under control.

SeahawkFrost

Reaction score
CANHawk":33dyugsh said:
I agree with everyone who says it was a clean hit and a bad call, however... At the time it occurred the game was completely out of hand and starting to get very chippy. It was starting to look like Arizona guys were just looking for opportunities to lay a nasty shot on our guys (clean your reservation otherwise). I'm pretty sure the refs throwing the flag there was just a way to keep everything calm and under control.

I was at the game as well and although it may have been a clean hit IMO it was a cheap shot that didn't need to happen to make the play. I agree with the above quote that it was getting chippy and that's why the flag was thrown which I personally agreed with.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't like it when it's called against us, and I don't like it when it's called for us either.

How else is a DB supposed to break up passes ? Seriously, they need to just throw out the record books for passing right now, since the defense isn't allowed to play anymore.

hawker84

Reaction score
you know my feelings on calls like this... prime time even said on the NFL channel, how is he a defensless player? he's out on the field with full protection, what are pads and helmets for? old school comment for someone who didn't like to hit, but i agree, this is getting pathetic.. goodell get your marbles back from your wife's purse and man the eff up for pete's sake..

nsport

Reaction score
[youtube]Qj9JKHUoMo0[/youtube]

Judging by this, even in super slo-mo, you can see that it was borderline "defenseless" player. Sidney was able to brace for it and within the structure of the rules, I'd say in this case it was probably a bad call. But at full speed, and the scenario in the game (late, garbage time), it could easily be argued that this was to control the safety of the players. Sidney had just gotten his 2nd foot down when he was clobbered high and knocked backwards. Technically, I think this is a foul, but I can see how people would defend both sides.