Blowout was important for rest

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
One of the things I haven't seen talked about much here is the fact that putting in the 2nd and 3rd stringers for almost half the game not only gave them more experience, but also allowed our starters to rest a half a game late in the season. That's huge. Getting the bye late was good. Then halfway between the bye and the end of the season, we get another mini-rest for a lot of key guys.

- Wilson had almost a half a game of rest, and really had an easyish game anyway. He attempted only 13 passes, and ran three times.

- Lynch had only 11 carries and sat out a good quarter of the game or more.

- Bryant had only a couple dozen snaps.

- The offensive line had generous substitutions throughout the second half.

That usually only happens with good teams who have already made a push and secured positioning for the post-season. We're still jockeying for position and indeed for entrance into the playoffs, and we were afforded that luxury. To see your starting quarterback make only 13 pass attempts and your starting running back only 11 carries is really good, especially in a win like that. We have two more teams with non-winning records left. To be able to do that again would be amazingly helpful.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I agree, it was very good.

Especially since we will have to play our starters for the next three games and win to be in a good spot for the playoffs.

Since this will likely be our last rest before the playoffs (assuming the #2 seed scenarios don't play out), it was nice that we were able to give our key players a breather before crunch time.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":16ijz855 said:
One of the things I haven't seen talked about much here is the fact that putting in the 2nd and 3rd stringers for almost half the game not only gave them more experience, but also allowed our starters to rest a half a game late in the season. That's huge. Getting the bye late was good. Then halfway between the bye and the end of the season, we get another mini-rest for a lot of key guys.

- Wilson had almost a half a game of rest, and really had an easyish game anyway. He attempted only 13 passes, and ran three times.

- Lynch had only 11 carries and sat out a good quarter of the game or more.

- Bryant had only a couple dozen snaps.

- The offensive line had generous substitutions throughout the second half.

That usually only happens with good teams who have already made a push and secured positioning for the post-season. We're still jockeying for position and indeed for entrance into the playoffs, and we were afforded that luxury. To see your starting quarterback make only 13 pass attempts and your starting running back only 11 carries is really good, especially in a win like that. We have two more teams with non-winning records left. To be able to do that again would be amazingly helpful.

It hasn't been talked about in detail like this but I've seen and heard it mentioned about how great it was to see the guys get reps and to get the players a little rest. I do like it. It's basically what teams do when they've clinched all they can. You see this a lot the final week where teams put in young guys in the second half of a game (no matter the score), just to rest the starters for the playoffs without giving them an entire game to get "rusty". To do this while still getting a win, and fighting for not only seeding, but a spot in the playoffs is a huge boost to us, because we may not have that luxury in the final week.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
The great thing is, we still have a chance to sneak some rest in for guys if we continue to play as we have the last couple of weeks. We play two more teams that should be wins by multiple scores. If this team is a playoff contender this year, we'll have that opportunity because they will take advantage of that situation.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3fayioe5 said:
The great thing is, we still have a chance to sneak some rest in for guys if we continue to play as we have the last couple of weeks. We play two more teams that should be wins by multiple scores. If this team is a playoff contender this year, we'll have that opportunity because they will take advantage of that situation.

Definitely possible, but with one game on the road, and the other being those pesky rams who haven't lost a division game, I think that the fact we were able to get it in now is a huge advantage in case we don't get that opportunity again.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
Well, as much as I love my Seahawks. This game was terrible in the fantasy football world.

In my league Marshawn had 30 some points and the defense had 51 points!

And guess who was number 2 seed going against the lower seed guy?

This better be worth it in the end.

sturg78

Reaction score
Too bad Rice took an extra 15 snaps worth of punishment from that nasty little hit at the end there.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sailor, another thing that the Hawks discovered in this game: their killer instinct.