Hawks vs. Falcons

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Hawks vs. Falcons
Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:43 pm
  • I am a diehard Seahawk fan - born and raised in Seattle, had season tickets with my dad since the Rick Mirer era until I moved away after graduating from UW. I now live in Athens, GA - I'm here for law school - and I am surrounded by Falcons fans who don't take our Seahawks seriously.

My question is: how do you think our 'Hawks match up with the Falcons? I'm not afraid of them personally. Their defense is soft and their offense can be contained (as evidenced by the Cardinals' performance against them in ATL a couple weeks ago.)

Thoughts? How do y'all think we match up against the Falcons? Potential playoff opponent, yes? (I just finished finals and am super hammered so sorry if this post isn't incredibly well organized/thought-out.)
    HawkSouth
    NET Bench Warmer

Re: Hawks vs. Falcons
Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:47 pm
  • I think we'd beat the hell out of them. I think they're soft and we're the opposite of soft.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:54 pm
  • They are a paper tiger. Soft. It's funny that you say the fans down there don't pay much attention to our beloved Seahawks. I don't pay much attention to the Falcons. They aren't built for January playoff football and we appear to be hitting our stride at just the right time.

That is all. Enjoy your buzz and congratulations on your finals!!
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:11 am
  • I think you guys both make valid points. BUT - I've had a chance to watch all the Falcons' games, and as excited as I am about our boys I have to admit I'd be a little concerned about our chances against the Falcons on the road.

I will try to briefly explain my concern. Matt Ryan is the real deal (even though he hasn't proven **** in the playoffs...). Roddy White and Julio Jones are both extremely talented. I think we could neutralize those two (even if Sherm is suspended for the playoffs), but what really concerns me is the fact that they also have Harry Douglas (speedy slot receiver) and Tony Gonzalez (aging but still a huge factor, particularly on 3rd down... shudder.... and in the red zone). Michael Turner doesn't have half the talent of our Beast, but he's good enough to keep defenses honest.

This concern is probably solely borne out of intoxication and inundation with Falcons propaganda. But I do legitimately wonder if we'd have trouble stopping them, particularly on the road. The Falcon's oline isn't all-world, but I worry that if we couldn't get pressure on Ryan with our front 4 we might get carved up. (This is all caveated by the fact that I think we could put some serious points up against them, even on the road.) Anyway..... does my further explanation of my fears give anyone else pause!?!?!?

Morgulon - thanks for the kind words, my relief knows no bounds ;)
    HawkSouth
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:28 am
  • Falcons win from generally having good play calling from what I have seen. A good mixture of run pass that keeps the defense guessing and makes players think more then react. I think our D matches up well enough to make the offense sputter minus the x-factor of Jaquizz. Shifty backs like that in the screen and dump off passing game seem to tear us up. If we could get a little pressure and start thumping some of their players, I think things would break down for the Falcons.

On offense, the Seahawks would wear their D down and probably put up 20 something. The Atl D plays mistake free but I don't see anyone on the D that would outmatch the O. Marshawn would dink, dunk, and thump 4-5 ypc and Russ would sustain drives. I would say the 4th quarter will be the quarter where one of the defenses break and given the playoff history of Ryan and ATL, I would be comfortable putting money on the Hawks taking it 24-17.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:36 am
  • Not scared at all of the Falcons

The only team now that scares me is Green Bay in Lambaeu in January.

That's it.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:50 am
  • It's actually a very good matchup for us given that Sherman plays. Better both Sherm and Browner play because that plays right into our hands with their bigger WRs even though WT3 played really well. Gonzales will be a pain, but Kam and the LBs will do a decent job on him. Not too worries about their run game. On offense I think we can run through them and give Wilson a fairly easy day while not having to throw the ball maybe even 20 times.

Probably a 24-14 game. Hawks.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:59 am
  • The Seahawks almost beat that team with Tarvaris Jackson at QB, I have absolutely no fear of that team with Russell Wilson at the helm of the Seahawks now.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:44 am
  • You don't luck into being the #1 seed so they're obviously quite good. That being said, I don't know there's a team currently in or on the outskirts of the NFC playoff picture I'd rather play right now except maybe Chicago and Dallas.
    ErikG803
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:47 am
  • You are in Athens? I live like an hour up the road in Greenwood, SC. Great to know there is someone close by on this board.
    acbass
    NET Starter

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:53 am
  • I think this game would come down to where it was played. Here, we beat them. There, we lose.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:00 am
  • I live in Columbus, GA and they get a ton of respect here when I mention Im a Hawks fan. Always repping my Seahawks gear when Im out and about and people always comment on it.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:09 am
  • Atlanta has only played 2 teams with winning records and both at home.

They got to play Denver when PM was still getting use to the team and them to he. Im addition Atlanta has not played a single team that currently are one of the 12 playoff teams.

What does that tell you. EASY SCHEDULE!.

I think the Hawks would be able to take them even in their home.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Location: Victoria BC or my Galactic Stonghold on Nar Shaddaa

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:21 am
  • Atlanta is a great team. They may have a weak schedule but it isn't like they would go out and loose against teams like the Panthers........oh wait......

"an hour up the road" - in Atlanta area that would be what 5 miles? :)

I heard Atlanta traffic is so bad that some people can't back out of their drive-way :)

I lived there for 4 months (perimeter mall area) before I asked my company to get me TFO so I feel I can rip on Atlanta.........
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:48 am
  • The Falcons are like the Hawks in their best years of the last decade under Holmgren...

They put up points and win games, but a tough team can beat them into submission. I think we would frustrate them and wear them down.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:53 am
  • I think had we met in the early part of the season, Atlanta would have taken the game quite easily. At this point in the season? I think Seattle is playing better. And that's as much about the Seahawks as it is the Falcons. The Falcons seem to be slipping from their perch a bit, playing more not to lose than to win. I've seen their running game slipping and not being as deadly as it once was, and Matt Ryan seems to be making the same slide in recent weeks that Philip Rivers has made and is making poor decisions for his receivers. Anyway, that being said, it would be a 50-50 chance for both teams in Atlanta, and better towards the 'Hawks here in Seattle.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 am
  • Our secondary (crosses fingers on Sherman) matches up with the Falcon's strength. The Falcons offensive linemen are a bit soft, IMO, and the real threat to us from the backfield is Rogers. That little dude is versatile. I think we could minimize, if not take away completely, Gonzalez.

The real change for them this year is that Nolan defense. This is not the same smallish tampon-2 that would get shredded in the playoffs, especially the secondary. they bait quarterbacks in the 10 to 20 yard area as good as anyone, and their safeties are good. I think a determined team can get them passing in the flats, short middle, and sidelines, and controlling the middle would be mandatory against the linebackers. Nolan likes to bring it, so I could see taking advantage of those hot reads. I try not to read too much into how they struggle with Newton, but our read option could work against their straight up D, like it did against Chicago.

I really like what a steady diet of Lynch and Turbin could do against them, though.

So, no, not the scariest match up.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:02 am
  • Until the Falcons prove they can win in the playoffs, I'm not scared. Not scared of GB in GB, either. (Rodgers is playing terribly again.) No, it's the Giants and 49ers who worry me.

Edit to add: The Falcons also peaked too early, much like GB last year.
    Last edited by Sarlacc83 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:04 am
  • i look at the falcons like i looked at the texans... overrated.. GB, SF, Giants are the real threats..

now having said that, ryan is a good solid QB, and they have two very good recievers.. with our db's in we win, with them out, we lose... turner is like a bowling ball in the back field, but we do welll against big backs that don't cut and make people miss, so we have the advantage their.... he's no gore or AP...

from what i've seen there defense has holes, i think with the way our offense has been clicking, we can take advantage of that and move the ball, our red zone O has been excellent lately, so we would score some points.

to summarize, our full team against their full team, ( meaining all key personell in ) we win at home.. on the road, i give it a 50/50 chance...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:08 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Until the Falcons prove they can win in the playoffs, I'm not scared. Not scared of GB in GB, either. (Rodgers is playing terribly again.) No, it's the Giants and 49ers who worry me.

I don't think about what the Falcons did last year at all. They have a good team and home field advantage and create some matchup problems.

But yes, this year the Giants and Niners (and Packers, now that they are discovering their run game) are all worse matchups.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:16 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:Until the Falcons prove they can win in the playoffs, I'm not scared. Not scared of GB in GB, either. (Rodgers is playing terribly again.) No, it's the Giants and 49ers who worry me.

I don't think about what the Falcons did last year at all. They have a good team and home field advantage and create some matchup problems.

But yes, this year the Giants and Niners (and Packers, now that they are discovering their run game) are all worse matchups.

They've also blown their last bye in 2010. Matt Ryan has never won a playoff game and he's been there 3 times. That kind of thing weighs on a team and can turn into a self fulfilling prophecy, especially against a physical team like Seattle.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 am
  • It really depends, since a lot can happen in the next 3 weeks.

We seem to be peaking. If we can go to Buffalo and handle them easily, it gives this team more confidence about playing a road game. If we take care of business at home and win out, we're looking like a Giants team peaking at just the right time the last couple years. That being said, we make way too many dumb penalties. We extended 4 Cardiinals drives on Sunday due to penalties; just think of how few yards they'd have had if we could play a bit more disciplined. Against good teams, that will cost you the game, and it has this year for us.

The Falcons are very tough at home. They play almost mistake free football, and do all the little things right. To beat them, you have to be mistake free. I need to see the Seahawks play mistake free in Buffalo to know we can do it on the road. That said, the Falcons don't seem to have positive momentum, and they rely on big plays from their WRs a lot....they also seem a bit soft.

I'd like our chances against them, even there, if we win out and learn to handle business correctly on the road.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:30 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:Until the Falcons prove they can win in the playoffs, I'm not scared. Not scared of GB in GB, either. (Rodgers is playing terribly again.) No, it's the Giants and 49ers who worry me.

They've also blown their last bye in 2010. Matt Ryan has never won a playoff game and he's been there 3 times. That kind of thing weighs on a team and can turn into a self fulfilling prophecy, especially against a physical team like Seattle.

Peyton Manning had his playoff struggles too. But you did hit on the key, physicality. Indy got over the hump when their physical dude, Bob Sanders, was making hay in the playoffs. I don't know if Atlanta has that kind of guy.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:17 pm
  • I think the Falcons are overhyped. And just like their season showed earlier from the start, they were undefeated but once the tougher part of the season begun they started losing. Also, there were lots of games that came down to the last minute. OVERHYPED!

Texans not as much, but I think Texans are the AFC's version of the Falcons.
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Starter

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:24 pm
  • Seattle would pound them
    Treefiddy
    NET Rookie

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:28 am
  • i would LOVE to play the falcons in the playoffs, cuz every team that beats them in the postseason tends to win the superbowl...except the cards...
    AnchoviesofTerror
    NET Starter

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:47 am
  • The 2007 Falcons were 4-12 and then jumped to 11-5 with rookie Matt Ryan in 2008. From a hype, competitive life cycle standpoint, I see Seattle as the 2008 Falcons (i.e., one of the emerging powerhouse teams with the world in front of them). However, I see Seattle as having a much higher ceiling over the subsequent years and will hopefully realize the promise.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:26 am
  • Pete Carrol with the Seahawks has more playoff wins than Mike Smith. :1:
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:39 am
  • rainger wrote:Atlanta has only played 2 teams with winning records and both at home.

They got to play Denver when PM was still getting use to the team and them to he. Im addition Atlanta has not played a single team that currently are one of the 12 playoff teams.

What does that tell you. EASY SCHEDULE!.

I think the Hawks would be able to take them even in their home.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I think when it is all said and done, Atlanta will have had THE easiest schedule in the NFL. As stated they have only played 2 teams (SD and Tampa) who posted winning records when Atlanta played them. Their 2 losses come to NO and CAR not stellar teams to say the least. I think we would easily beat the Falcons. They are a paper tiger for sure.
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:45 am
  • We'd definitely need Browner for that game. Julio Jones would be a problem for WT3/Maxwell/etc.

Aside from that, I think they're very beatable. The game being indoors would definitely help as well.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:52 am
  • The Falcons remind me a lot of the Lions, who if I remember correctly beat us earlier this year. They are both pretty soft in my book, but have a QB who is calm and cool and if he gets going then he could do exactly the same thing Stafford did to the Hawks. I think the home/away thing wouldn't make much difference in the playoffs. I just think if Ryan got on track, that he'd Stafford us to death and that would be that. So it would be imperative that the Seahawks set the tone early and just beat him up pretty badly and not allow a rhythm to be established. I don't think it would be easy by any means, and I think their past playoff record means very little. Eventually they are going to win a playoff game, and that could happen on any given Sunday. I've seen them look nearly unstoppable at times, which is pretty obvious by their record.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:06 pm
  • I have a hard time seeing the Falcons beating any of the NFC playoff teams other than maybe Chicago. They're above average to good at almost everything but they aren't great at anything.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:10 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information