Seahawks v Bills in Toronto - anyone else going?

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
BeerHawker":2r4290un said:
First post.

I'm going. I recommend the Fox and Fiddle, a block west of the Rogers Centre on Fort York Blvd. (south side of the stadium) for the early games. Good food, typical crappy Toronto beers and maybe some live guitar music. Best collection of TV screens in a small bar in Toronto. This was my Grey Cup HQ last week and I got to know the owner/manager, so I can get folks in if there is a line-up.

I will be going, Fox and Fiddle sounds good.

The Radish

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":21734cir said:
The Radish":21734cir said:
Been to a couple of senior pro bowling tournaments in Toronto and the main language was French then. I doubt its much different now, perhaps because its so close to the US.

French is the official language of most of Eastern Canada.

:les:
Totally wrong on this one, Ontario is English first, always has been.

Got me curious so looked at wikipedia. According to 3 seperate listings of theirs English is the language of just over 50% of Toronto.

And amazingly enough they are considered on of the most diverse language citys on the planet.

So even an old duffer like me can learn things. lol And I wasn't completely wrong.

Les

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
The Radish":1zin375p said:
TorontoHawk":1zin375p said:
The Radish":1zin375p said:
Been to a couple of senior pro bowling tournaments in Toronto and the main language was French then. I doubt its much different now, perhaps because its so close to the US.

French is the official language of most of Eastern Canada.

:les:
Totally wrong on this one, Ontario is English first, always has been.

Got me curious so looked at wikipedia. According to 3 seperate listings of theirs English is the language of just over 50% of Toronto.

And amazingly enough they are considered on of the most diverse language citys on the planet.

So even an old duffer like me can learn things. lol And I wasn't completely wrong.

True!! It is a great city with so many different people and culture.
Les

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Sorry Les. You are wrong. I have been to Toronto. Was there for 4 days. And not once did I encounter people speaking French. NOT ONCE. Yes, many people speak French along with English, a lot more than out west in BC. But it's not like Quebec. Maybe you went to Montreal???? :p

OP
OP
J

JYoung_Blue22

Reaction score
Is this the Fox and Fiddle location we are talking about? Looks closest to the stadium...

Fox and Fiddle
27 Wellesley Street East, Toronto, ON M4Y 1G7, Canada
http://wellesleyfox.com/

Unfortunately my wife and I will be hanging with her cousin and his wife who are Bills fans, but it's their season tickets that are getting us into the game :)

lukerguy

Reaction score
I would go but tickets to Toronto are $700 from Calgary right now.. If they were $400 I would definitely do it.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'm thinking about it, and I'll probably end up going to this one.

Obviously I'm a diehard Seahawks fan but I'm also a diehard Blue Jays fan. Go figure, I live in New York City. It sucks. I'm broke as balls right now but I'm thinking about taking the bus from NYC to Toronto on Saturday, getting there Sunday, watching the game and partying afterwards for a bit and then taking the bus back home. It's a 20 hour trip, but I feel like this game was made for me to be there. I have to be there. Screw it, I'll just start a kickstarter... :pukeface:

Edit: What a moron, I forgot to mention that the whole reason I'd be going is because I'll never get to see the Seahawks play on the Blue Jays field again... probably. Once in a lifetime, gotta get it done.

zetes

Reaction score
SeaTown81":5b48gtfc said:
Sorry Les. You are wrong. I have been to Toronto. Was there for 4 days. And not once did I encounter people speaking French. NOT ONCE. Yes, many people speak French along with English, a lot more than out west in BC. But it's not like Quebec. Maybe you went to Montreal???? :p

The best chance you have of hearing French in Toronto is if you go to a French restaurant. Maybe it was because he was at a "bowling" event. Toronto doesn't really do bowling.

Z.

zetes

Reaction score
JYoung_Blue22":26duhjgy said:
Is this the Fox and Fiddle location we are talking about? Looks closest to the stadium...

Fox and Fiddle
27 Wellesley Street East, Toronto, ON M4Y 1G7, Canada
http://wellesleyfox.com/

Unfortunately my wife and I will be hanging with her cousin and his wife who are Bills fans, but it's their season tickets that are getting us into the game :)

No, that fox and fiddle is far away from stadium. The one we are gathering at is 17 Fort York Boulevard which is a couple minute walk from the stadium. It is "slightly" hidden so it will be a great spot to gather since the ones on Front street (main street of stadium) will probably be pretty full. There is a twitter account I've created to spread the work of the gathering - www.twitter.com/HawksFanToronto to get the word out

For those coming in from other parts -- there is a planned "street festival" planned where basically you can buy expensive beer and walk around (the "walking" around part is new here legally) from the official organizing group (BillsInToronto) but most likely it will be pretty cold so not sure how "fun" it will be. There are also lots of bars on front street which I'm sure will be busy. There is the massive "real sports grill" bar but you probably won't get in without reservation. There is also a Raptors game that starts at 1pm same day which is walking distance to football game.

Go Hawks!

Z.

BeerHawker

Reaction score
The Fox and Fiddle gets a brunch crowd who come for the fried French toast (outstanding grease delivery system). They don't all stay for football, so tables free up at 1 PM, which is very convenient for football fans. (Brunch menu is available until 2 PM) There should be plenty of room for the early game, and we can get the GM/owner Adam to let us in after the game for the Whiner game afterwards if you all like it. if I have an idea of #'s who might be there for the early game, I'll call and let Adam know what our seating needs are and snag some tables where we can watch all the early games.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sadly, I have only gotten one thing out of this thread.

Radish is either a pro bowler or he travelled to Canada just to watch bowling.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I was just in Toronto for work this week and last week for the Grey Cup (CFL championship). You guys will be disappointed in that there will be nothing like the tailgating you are used to. Thank the lack of decent lots and our Canadian drinking laws for that one. I am sure there will be some festivals etc set up though. Rogers Centre is very close to a street called Front Street where there are a few decent pubs etc. Want to a place called the Loose Moose which was pretty good, and about a 10 min walk to the stadium.

This whole Buffalo Bills thing in Toronto has been a failed experiment. If you are are thinking of going and havent got your tickets yet, I would make the trip and plan to get cheap ones outside the stadium. If only the conference I was just at was two weeks later. I could have flown out on the company dime and attended the game. Interesting that the store at the stadium was selling Seahawk gear along with Bills gear.

Jon Ryan grew up in the same part of the country I did but it would be pretty expensive to think a lot of his friends and family will make the trip.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
I'm already in Toronto. Hanging out with some friends for the week.

We are going to Real Sports Bar before the game. It's right next to the stadium and has a two story tv and over 200 tvs. Safe to say all the early games will be on.

20120215-REALSPORTS.jpg

I hear it will be very crowded. So maybe you guys are good with the Fox and the Fiddle if you want something sane.

After the game we are going to the Loose Moose. It too is near the stadium.

I googled "Toronto Sports Bars" and both came up on this "best of" feature, listed for the stadium district.

http://www.thegridto.com/city/sports/to ... ars/#pager

If you guys do the Fox and Fiddle before game, you should come by the Loose Moose after. Depending on time, I might also try to swing by the Fox if you guys end up there.

For anyone wanting directions. I made a map showing the Rogers Centre and the 3 bars I mentioned. You can click on the blips for info for the places.

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=205 ... 89,0.01929

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
since i lives 15 mins from downtown T O count me in just got the big thumbs up from the wife. so just let me know meeting time and im there also anybody here were they might be practicing would like to drop by there if we are allowed.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Im thinking of calling in sick and heading down if I can find a cheap ticket. I'll try to drag Nanomoz there, but he still may be in school. Hopefully we can all get together, what SUUCKS is the cell phone data prices. Make sure you are in a hotel with wifi so I can at least pm you guys. I'm in Canada quite often and I never use my phone due to the cost.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
We all gotta try and exchange phone numbers so we can hook up in Toronto. My wife and I will be arriving on Friday.

I believe BestFightStory, MysterMatt, and theditch are arriving Friday as well.

dino26

Reaction score
I stay in Toronto and bought my ticket today ....super excited to finally see my Seahawks live is a under statement !

stickman1966

Reaction score
I AM!!! Western NY Seahawks fan. I rarely get the chance to see them live and still dreaming of the day I fly west to take in a home game! We are going with two other couples and packing jerseys for them all to wear. Even got the wife a new ladies #12 Fan jersey (she is so excited :sarcasm_on: )

It's ok though, I am doing it right. Heading to Toronto with her on Saturday for shopping nice dinner and a show. Then the rest of the pack come on Sunday. Even booked a hotel two blocks from the stadium to crawl back to. SO PSYCHED!!!

I'm In!!!

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Embarrassed to admit that I won't be there. Wanted to take my son to his first game, but the upcoming Hawk Finn Hat Trick (triplets) has changed a few priorities. And living in Rochester, it's virtually in my backyard...frustrating. Oh well, we'll have the best seats in the house in my living room.