Sherman Hearing Pushed Back?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm guessing it's a delay tactic.

The thing that bothers me is that Sherman is from Stanford. He's a pretty smart dude. He knows you probably can't beat the system, so he's either stalling on purpose, or he honestly thinks there's a mistake.

Also, he can't get a better contract next year, or if he does, he plays under this one next year anyways. Players can't renegotiate a contract or sign an extension until year 3 of their rookie deal.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
I have always found the NFL methodology a bit weird when it comes to testing and how they deal with positive tests.

I think it makes a LOT of sense for a player to have a good lawyer look over the agreement between the NFLPA and the NFL, make sure that they understand what defenses are allowed and what are not for PED, and also be able to advocate strongly for the player at the hearing.

This is my opinion regardless if the PED is legit, or not -- it's always seemed odd to me that the players gave the league power to test the players and if a positive test occurs that the appeal process is deliberately biased against the player... it's kind of like having the NFL be judge, jury and executioner.

If this encourages the NFL and NFLPA to bring the testing regime up to snuff for modern days, and get a bit more transparency, that would be a great side effect.

I do think that Sherman is trying to get this pushed off until next year, and hiring a lawyer could very very easily accomplish that. The lawyer shows up at the December 14th hearing, says they were just hired December 10th, need to review all the appropriate materials, all the rules and agreements, and want to see all the evidence against the client... the league probably takes a few weeks to get that to the lawyer, the lawyer says they need a few weeks to review it, and he'll get back to them... it's just that easy, getting an eight week delay would be trivial. Frankly at the end of all that, if the deck is just stacked against Sherman, the lawyer could even contact the NFL, say "yeah, this is ridiculous, my client is not guilty but according to the rules, there's no way we can win an appeal, so we're done, suspend him" and it wouldn't even seem all that odd, especially if the lawyer went to the public and the NFLPA and said that the whole situation was a misunderstanding but the NFL rules don't allow any reasonable grounds for appeal.

I suspect something like that will play out. Just a hunch.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":3v3ywd7j said:
I'm guessing it's a delay tactic.

The thing that bothers me is that Sherman is from Stanford. He's a pretty smart dude. He knows you probably can't beat the system, so he's either stalling on purpose, or he honestly thinks there's a mistake.

Also, he can't get a better contract next year, or if he does, he plays under this one next year anyways. Players can't renegotiate a contract or sign an extension until year 3 of their rookie deal.

They wouldn't renegotiate before the suspension, but it wouldn't stop them from putting in a little something extra when they renegotiate at the end of next season. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the team "took care of him" for going out of his way to get this delayed. After all, if he stays healthy, we'll want to lock him in long term anyway.

chris98251

Reaction score
I'm thinking he knows a few Lawyers and if he don't Paul Allen sure does that can litigate and extend this thing for a long time. Considering the Bountygate fiasco the NFL does not want another very public contestment of things if they can avoid it. Sherman doesn't seem to have a problem articulating himself about things either.

I'm betting coming from Stanford he can get the chemical analyisis and breakdown of how adderall affects the body and make the NFL break everything down as well to prove him wrong about enhancement. Hell maybe he drank a 5 hour energy thats off the shelf and it had some additive.

Whatever it is we will have him for a while I am betting.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kidhawk":311xgmfo said:
Only problem with this scenario is that we beat the Rams, get a bye for the first week and he has to miss the SuperBowl too, because I think we still beat the Rams even with both of our CB out

I'm curious as to what you base that on, though I hope it's true. The Rams have a perfect division record and have been playing pretty good ball lately. Don't forget that their games against the 9ers included a draw and a W. That's something we havent' been able to do.

Hopefully Rams just enjoy a unique matchup with the 9ers. Sort of like the Minnesota - SF matchup. We'll see, but we lost to them once alreay. If they can keep the game close, the trickster (Fisher) will be opening his bag. I'd say Fisher wins a coaching contest with anybody in this division.

One thing the Hawks have going for them is the steady improvement on offense, using more dimensions as the season has progressed wheras the 9ers have been pretty much the same all year.

Oh yeah, back on subject. :mrgreen: I think Sherman actually believes he can make the suspesion go away, or possibly influence future negotiations with NFLPA and the league. I think it's absolute horse**** that there are no checks/balances in this area.

nwgamer

Reaction score
Honestly I think it's one of two scenarios, he believes there was a mistake and he plans on never being suspended, or it's just a ploy to put it off until the beginning of next season (I am guessing the latter).

I agree. He has either sat and planned this out with the big guys to allow us the best chance for success... or ...

maybe he has an ace in the hole so to speak... like another player on the team who has a legal prescription etc.. of which info we would not be privy to, stating he indeed accidentally shared his beverage..( just speculating) thus leading him to want to force the NFL to accept his excuse by utilizing the leverage of a private attorney(s).
:Dunno: :229031_confused2:

:49ersmall: