Sherman Hearing Pushed Back?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Sherman Hearing Pushed Back?
Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:51 pm
  • They are reporting on KIRO that Adam Schefter is reporting that Sherman has hired his own attorney to fight the suspension and this may cause a delay in the hearing process.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Re: Sherman Hearing Pushed Back?
Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 pm
  • That's the rumor, though its only coming from AS so far. Lets hope it's true.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 pm
  • Saw this a couple days ago. Sherman has his own lawyers so the process is being delayed until they come up to speed. Schefter and others think it could delay the proceedings for awhile.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:58 pm
  • I don't watch ESPN as much as I used to with the advent of the NFL network, so I hadn't heard it before. I hope it's true. If we can get this thing delayed long enough, it would really help us out.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:12 pm
  • The Good: We get Sherman for at least another game.

The Bad: Sherman has hired his own attorney, which means the league probably gave him a head's up that his appeal wasn't going to go well. (speculation on my part, but I can't think of a scenario where hiring your own attorney would be a good thing).
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:13 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:The Good: We get Sherman for at least another game.

The Bad: Sherman has hired his own attorney, which means the league probably gave him a head's up that his appeal wasn't going to go well. (speculation on my part, but I can't think of a scenario where hiring your own attorney would be a good thing).

Unless Sherman wised up to the fact that the NFL won't provide the evidence against him and as such, he's using a different avenue to force Goodell's hand as a couple other players have done.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:14 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:The Good: We get Sherman for at least another game.

Does the NFLPA provide attorneys? Otherwise I'd think he would have to hire his own attorney.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:25 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:The Good: We get Sherman for at least another game.

Unless Sherman wised up to the fact that the NFL won't provide the evidence against him and as such, he's using a different avenue to force Goodell's hand as a couple other players have done.

In the case of drug testing isn't the evidence "you tested positive for <insert PED>?" How is the league suppose to have evidence of that? The evidence is in the sample.

Not saying Sherman is wrong to hire an attorney, I just think it means the process isn't exactly going as smoothly as he thought it would.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:37 pm
  • Sherman is going to try and get this carried over to next year.

He knows if he is suspended he won't make the Pro Bowl (which can affect his future earnings) and would hurt the Hawks chances in the Playoffs.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 pm
  • This whole NFL isn't given them a chance is the wrong argument. They pissed in a cup the test came back positive which is negative for the player :D -- they were given the opportunity they were assumed to be innocent so they got tested..........

With that said. I am starting to think that this is purely a delay tactic. Sherman waited until today (think the hearing was set for the 14th which was said to delay the decision it beyond the buffalo games anyways). Now the hearing would probably get pushed at least another week which would let him play the 49ers game. Lets say he gets suspended for week 17, WC game, Division winner game and NCF championship but he would be back in time for the superbowl. Very nicely played

And it would also make week 17 we were without both players.....
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:43 pm
  • mikeak wrote:This whole NFL isn't given them a chance is the wrong argument. They pissed in a cup the test came back positive which is negative for the player :D -- they were given the opportunity they were assumed to be innocent so they got tested..........

With that said. I am starting to think that this is purely a delay tactic. Sherman waited until today (think the hearing was set for the 14th which was said to delay the decision it beyond the buffalo games anyways). Now the hearing would probably get pushed at least another week which would let him play the 49ers game. Lets say he gets suspended for week 17, WC game, Division winner game and NCF championship but he would be back in time for the superbowl. Very nicely played

And it would also make week 17 we were without both players.....

Only problem with this scenario is that we beat the Rams, get a bye for the first week and he has to miss the SuperBowl too, because I think we still beat the Rams even with both of our CB out

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:46 pm
  • Clearly it's a tactic to push this out until next year. I think it will probably work, when you get lawyers involved, things start moving in terms of months, not weeks or days. I think it's a smart move, and even though the NFL probably knows what he's up to, they are powerless to stop it. That's the American legal system. The suspension is probably unavoidable, but if it ends up being the first 4 games of next season we'll have Browner / Thurmond and an entire offseason to prepare for it, so Thurmond and Sherman can split reps with the #1 defense in training camp and it will be a competition to see which 2 of those 3 guys make the official tandem of starters after the 4 game suspension for Sherman.

If it gives us Sherman/Browner/Thurmond for the playoffs, and the above scenario to start next year, I don't think we'll skip a beat.

BTW, how sexy is the prospect of Browner/Sherman/Thurmond in a nickle package? Ho-leeeee shit.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:57 pm
  • Delay tactic makes a little sense, but only from the Hawks side of things, not Sherman's.

If you're Sherman, why would you want to play in regular season games, but miss important and exciting playoff games? That's what makes me think he actually thinks he has a chance to beat the suspension.

Not sure how much communication there is between Sherman's camp and the Hawks, but from the purely selfish player side, delay tactic doesn't make any sense (unless it gets pushed all the way back to next year).
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:31 pm
  • I was thinking that this is going to get pushed back so he does his 4 game stint at the beginning of next season. We will have both of our big dogs for the playoffs PLUS Thurmond.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:34 pm
  • Actually isn't the playoff salary payment just a bonus amount significantly less than what they get paid for regular games?

Now in Sherman's case not as applicable as he is low on the salary scale but interesting from the perspective of stars

Last year's playoff salaries

Wild Card
    Division Winners (Broncos, Texans, Giants, Saints): $22,000
    Wild Cards (Steelers, Bengals, Falcons, Lions): $20,000

Divisional Playoff Game $22,000

Conference Championship $40,000

Super Bowl
    (Winning Team) $88,000
    (Losing Team) $44,000
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:43 pm
  • mikeak wrote:Actually isn't the playoff salary payment just a bonus amount significantly less than what they get paid for regular games?

Now in Sherman's case not as applicable as he is low on the salary scale but interesting from the perspective of stars

Last year's playoff salaries

Wild Card
    Division Winners (Broncos, Texans, Giants, Saints): $22,000
    Wild Cards (Steelers, Bengals, Falcons, Lions): $20,000

Divisional Playoff Game $22,000

Conference Championship $40,000

Super Bowl
    (Winning Team) $88,000
    (Losing Team) $44,000

I think Sherman's contract is about $465,000 this season. That's about $29,000/week or $116,000 for a 4 week suspension. Assume we don't win the division, and he loses out on the lowest 4 games of the playoffs, he'd lose out on $104,000 or a savings of $12,000, but if we win the division, and he was suspended for the playoffs, he'd lose out on as much as $172,000 (assuming a superbowl victory).

Honestly I think it's one of two scenarios, he believes there was a mistake and he plans on never being suspended, or it's just a ploy to put it off until the beginning of next season (I am guessing the latter).

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:48 pm
  • can he serve his suspension during the 4 preseason games? :mrgreen:

i know i know.
    muxpux
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:48 pm
  • Adam Shefter reported that Richard Shermans delay could end up costing him more money . This year the game checks are 27,000 whereas next years game checks are at 33,000 a piece.

Maybe he is innocent . maybe they decided next year first four games would be best at worst.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 pm
  • EastCoastHawksFan wrote:Adam Shefter reported that Richard Shermans delay could end up costing him more money . This year the game checks are 27,000 whereas next years game checks are at 33,000 a piece.

Maybe he is innocent . maybe they decided next year first four games would be best at worst.

Of course when he gets that new contract with a "workout" bonus in there, it'll all even out ;)

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:03 pm
  • Sherm may have a prescription for the drug. I doubt it, but it is possible.

Perhaps he is claiming that another prescription was in appropriately marked or something too.

Lots of different arguments to be made in either of those scenarios, and possibly a hundred others I can't think of.
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:09 pm
  • I'm guessing it's a delay tactic.

The thing that bothers me is that Sherman is from Stanford. He's a pretty smart dude. He knows you probably can't beat the system, so he's either stalling on purpose, or he honestly thinks there's a mistake.

Also, he can't get a better contract next year, or if he does, he plays under this one next year anyways. Players can't renegotiate a contract or sign an extension until year 3 of their rookie deal.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:16 pm
  • I have always found the NFL methodology a bit weird when it comes to testing and how they deal with positive tests.

I think it makes a LOT of sense for a player to have a good lawyer look over the agreement between the NFLPA and the NFL, make sure that they understand what defenses are allowed and what are not for PED, and also be able to advocate strongly for the player at the hearing.

This is my opinion regardless if the PED is legit, or not -- it's always seemed odd to me that the players gave the league power to test the players and if a positive test occurs that the appeal process is deliberately biased against the player... it's kind of like having the NFL be judge, jury and executioner.

If this encourages the NFL and NFLPA to bring the testing regime up to snuff for modern days, and get a bit more transparency, that would be a great side effect.

I do think that Sherman is trying to get this pushed off until next year, and hiring a lawyer could very very easily accomplish that. The lawyer shows up at the December 14th hearing, says they were just hired December 10th, need to review all the appropriate materials, all the rules and agreements, and want to see all the evidence against the client... the league probably takes a few weeks to get that to the lawyer, the lawyer says they need a few weeks to review it, and he'll get back to them... it's just that easy, getting an eight week delay would be trivial. Frankly at the end of all that, if the deck is just stacked against Sherman, the lawyer could even contact the NFL, say "yeah, this is ridiculous, my client is not guilty but according to the rules, there's no way we can win an appeal, so we're done, suspend him" and it wouldn't even seem all that odd, especially if the lawyer went to the public and the NFLPA and said that the whole situation was a misunderstanding but the NFL rules don't allow any reasonable grounds for appeal.

I suspect something like that will play out. Just a hunch.
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:34 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:I'm guessing it's a delay tactic.

The thing that bothers me is that Sherman is from Stanford. He's a pretty smart dude. He knows you probably can't beat the system, so he's either stalling on purpose, or he honestly thinks there's a mistake.

Also, he can't get a better contract next year, or if he does, he plays under this one next year anyways. Players can't renegotiate a contract or sign an extension until year 3 of their rookie deal.

They wouldn't renegotiate before the suspension, but it wouldn't stop them from putting in a little something extra when they renegotiate at the end of next season. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the team "took care of him" for going out of his way to get this delayed. After all, if he stays healthy, we'll want to lock him in long term anyway.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:04 pm
  • I'm thinking he knows a few Lawyers and if he don't Paul Allen sure does that can litigate and extend this thing for a long time. Considering the Bountygate fiasco the NFL does not want another very public contestment of things if they can avoid it. Sherman doesn't seem to have a problem articulating himself about things either.

I'm betting coming from Stanford he can get the chemical analyisis and breakdown of how adderall affects the body and make the NFL break everything down as well to prove him wrong about enhancement. Hell maybe he drank a 5 hour energy thats off the shelf and it had some additive.

Whatever it is we will have him for a while I am betting.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:10 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:Only problem with this scenario is that we beat the Rams, get a bye for the first week and he has to miss the SuperBowl too, because I think we still beat the Rams even with both of our CB out

I'm curious as to what you base that on, though I hope it's true. The Rams have a perfect division record and have been playing pretty good ball lately. Don't forget that their games against the 9ers included a draw and a W. That's something we havent' been able to do.

Hopefully Rams just enjoy a unique matchup with the 9ers. Sort of like the Minnesota - SF matchup. We'll see, but we lost to them once alreay. If they can keep the game close, the trickster (Fisher) will be opening his bag. I'd say Fisher wins a coaching contest with anybody in this division.

One thing the Hawks have going for them is the steady improvement on offense, using more dimensions as the season has progressed wheras the 9ers have been pretty much the same all year.

Oh yeah, back on subject. :mrgreen: I think Sherman actually believes he can make the suspesion go away, or possibly influence future negotiations with NFLPA and the league. I think it's absolute horse**** that there are no checks/balances in this area.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:18 pm
  • Honestly I think it's one of two scenarios, he believes there was a mistake and he plans on never being suspended, or it's just a ploy to put it off until the beginning of next season (I am guessing the latter).

I agree. He has either sat and planned this out with the big guys to allow us the best chance for success... or ...

maybe he has an ace in the hole so to speak... like another player on the team who has a legal prescription etc.. of which info we would not be privy to, stating he indeed accidentally shared his beverage..( just speculating) thus leading him to want to force the NFL to accept his excuse by utilizing the leverage of a private attorney(s).
    :Dunno: :229031_confused2:

:49ersmall:

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    nwgamer
    NET Starter

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information