Bobby Wagner

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Bobby Wagner
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:40 am
  • Bobby's starting to look like yet another home run draft pick. He has been mentioned quite a lot in the DRoTY discussion and after yesterday's monster game, he could quite possibly be the clear forerunner. This kid has quietly performed at an elite level. I wonder if he's getting any Pro Bowl consideration from the mediots.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Re: Bobby Wagner
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 am
  • You can see the progression. First, he was making tackles, then he gets to call the defense.

Now he's making impact plays and getting turnovers.

Next up is run gap discipline, making plays behidn the los more often, and sharpening up the coverage. Then we will have our own "Willis lite" on the roster.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:46 am
  • He is definitely an overall improvement to our LBs but the run gap discipline needs a lot of work. I'm not too concerned because I think that can be coached out of him.

Who is his main competition for DROY? The end from NE? I know Irvin has more sacks than him so I don't see it there...
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 am
  • amill87 wrote:He is definitely an overall improvement to our LBs but the run gap discipline needs a lot of work. I'm not too concerned because I think that can be coached out of him.

Who is his main competition for DROY? The end from NE? I know Irvin has more sacks than him so I don't see it there...

Keuchly, I think. He's got more tackles, but only one sack and one INT. I think Wags'll take it in the end, though.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 am
  • Hawks46 wrote:You can see the progression. First, he was making tackles, then he gets to call the defense.

Next up is run gap discipline, making plays behidn the los more often, and sharpening up the coverage. Then we will have our own "Willis lite" on the roster.

I would definitely like to see him making more plays behind the LOS as he has the speed to catch guys from behind. Aside for a few games where he was specifically targeted in the run game, I think his gap discipline has been pretty good. What most amazes me is his ability to stand up to 300+ pound guards blocking him.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 am
  • Wow....just did a little stat looking up on NFL.com

Tackles PDEF INT
    116 6 1
    109 7 3

One of those players is Bowmann from the Niners, the other is Wagner.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:55 am
  • Perhaps not to be overlooked is playing the last 2 games next to M. Smith. If I remember correctly he has Cornerback speed in the 4.4 Range. That has to help. Wagners problems has never been one of ability. He just needed to read and then react not the other way around.

What has surprised me about him is his pass coverage improvements and growth. Last week he had a spotty game in Chicago. He looked excellent at it yesterday
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:12 am
  • Happypuppy wrote:Perhaps not to be overlooked is playing the last 2 games next to M. Smith. If I remember correctly he has Cornerback speed in the 4.4 Range. That has to help. Wagners problems has never been one of ability. He just needed to read and then react not the other way around.

What has surprised me about him is his pass coverage improvements and growth. Last week he had a spotty game in Chicago. He looked excellent at it yesterday

He's passed the eye test for me since the Cowboys game. I have noticed his coverage skills greatly improving as well. He can run stride for stride with pretty much any TE in the league.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 am
  • Bobby is going to blow past Tatupu's first year with the Hawks in terms of production.

Wagner- 109- total tackles, 2-sacks, 4- passes defended, 3- INT's
    Tatupu- 104- total tackles, 3-sacks, 6- passes defended, 3-INT's, 1- TD

He's virtually there already but has 3 more games to add to his totals. Wagner is the man and I think he's developing very nicely. Very exciting to see. I also love what I'm seeing out of Macolm Smith, I hope he continues to play the rest of the year.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:48 am
  • As the game keeps slowing down for him, you will see him making more and more plays. We stacked a lot on his plate to start the season as a rookie - he's now organically becoming a play maker.

He will keep getting better and better.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am
  • Wagners should have another int, but it was taken away by a llama penalty.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    BigMeach
    NET Starter

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am
  • jlwaters1 wrote:Bobby is going to blow past Tatupu's first year with the Hawks in terms of production.

Wagner- 109- total tackles, 2-sacks, 4- passes defended, 3- INT's
    Tatupu- 104- total tackles, 3-sacks, 6- passes defended, 3-INT's, 1- TD

He's virtually there already but has 3 more games to add to his totals. Wagner is the man and I think he's developing very nicely. Very exciting to see. I also love what I'm seeing out of Macolm Smith, I hope he continues to play the rest of the year.

This is pretty impressive, especially considering how highly most of us think of Lofa's rookie year.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:55 am
  • Man did he have a great game, and season for a rookie mike. Heater who?
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:55 am
  • Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong, but I think Wagner should beat out Kuechly for DROY. Stats aside, isn't it more impressive for a rookie to be commanding a great defense than a terrible one? The Panthers D is truly awful.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:03 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Man did he have a great game, and season for a rookie mike. Heater who?

Heater... Heater... The name rings a bell, but I just can't remember.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:04 pm
  • LB's beat out Secondarys in DROY.

I remember that Bills player had about 8 INT and still didn't win DROY.

But Harrison Smith is a Safety and has 3 INT with 2 INT TD's.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:19 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong, but I think Wagner should beat out Kuechly for DROY. Stats aside, isn't it more impressive for a rookie to be commanding a great defense than a terrible one? The Panthers D is truly awful.

I was thinking the same thing. Kinda thinking the same thing for Wilson on offense, if we make a deep playoff run, wouldn't that be even more impressive?
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:24 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Man did he have a great game, and season for a rookie mike. Heater who?

Heater... Heater... The name rings a bell, but I just can't remember.

Say what you will about the player, but he had a phenomenal nickname!
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:24 pm
  • Harrison Smith (S, MN) is having a good year too but its between Wagner and Kuechly IMO.
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:50 pm
  • YOU DON’T SAY
    “For Defensive Rookie (of the Year), three linebackers stepped in from day one and became tackling machines – Carolina’s Luke Kuechly, Seattle’s Bobby Wagner and Tampa Bay’s Lavonte David. Cornerback Casey Hayward of the Packers has been a star from about Week 4. Linemen Chandler Jones of New England (outside) and Derek Wolfe of Denver (inside) have provided consistent pressure since Week 1. Safety Harrison Smith of Minnesota is already one of the most instinctive safeties in the league. For now, for the wins and the leadership and filling a gaping hole, I’ll take Wagner of the Seahawks.” – Peter King in his “Monday Morning Quarterback” at SI.com
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:51 pm
  • To the delight of the Soldier Field crowd and his sideline, Smith passed up the field-goal attempt and went for it. Michael Bush was stuffed for no gain on the play, and the second guessing began before Bush got off the ground.

Even Smith joined the chorus.

"Some decisions I made really hurt us early on," he said. "I should have taken the field goal in a game like that. I feel like we had momentum and wanted to really kind of knock them out and get them on their heels a little bit. That was the big play of the game."

The Bears didn't lose the game because they went for it. They lost the game because they missed a one-foot putt.

That play was a gimme. If everyone could have just fallen forward, Bears win.

Bush, all 245 pounds of him, was brought to Chicago, if not put on this earth, to make a half-yard.

And the Bears have had enough success in short-yardage situations that they shouldn't have been shy about being aggressive. Going into this game, the Bears faced 23 third- or fourth-and-1 situations and converted 15 of them.

The risk was minimal, and certainly worth the potential reward — taking the Seahawks out of the game early in the second quarter.

The Bears want to be a power offense. They want to play with a physical mentality. They can't look in the mirror and like what they see unless they take on challenges like that fourth-and-1.

After his mea culpa, Smith acknowledged he would go for it again in the same situation, and he should.

"I feel like if you're going to win and be able to get in the playoffs and play good football this time of season, you've got to be able to pick up fourth-and-short like that," he said.

And if they can't, they don't deserve to win the game.

"We have the guys that can make the plays," wide receiver Brandon Marshall said. "We have been really successful on fourth downs, third-and-shorts, fourth-and-shorts. So I liked the call and I was one of the guys that was lobbying for it. We just have to make the play."

That was the overriding sentiment in the Bears locker room.

"I liked that call as a lineman," guard Gabe Carimi said. "We have a strong offensive line group, an intense group. I feel we should be able to make those plays."

The Bears went with their heavy package, sending in 306-pound James Brown at tight end to pair with Matt Spaeth, and subbing Bush in for Matt Forte. Brown and Spaeth lined up on the left side of the formation, which ended up being the back side of the play.

Bush said the play was called "Strike," and he was supposed to go wherever he saw a push. And that's where the problem started. There wasn't enough of a push anywhere.

"It's on the offensive line," leader and center Roberto Garza said. "We have to be able to convert that. It's squarely on our shoulders and it's unacceptable."

Carimi had similar feelings. "We should get that every time," he said. "We didn't move the line as well as we could have, and we didn't get up on the linebacker to make the play."

Bush went up the middle to the right of the line. Carimi, playing right guard, blocked the three technique tackle. A pull from the left side of the line failed to reach Seahawks middle linebacker Bobby Wagner, who met Bush head on.

"I saw (Bush) about to jump so I met him before he got forward momentum," Wagner said. "He kind of left his feet, and I left mine too."

Bush averaged 5.6 yards per carry for the game, but couldn't get a half-yard on the game's most important play.

"They did a good job of stalemating the line, "Bush said. "There was nothing I could do. I didn't have any place to squeeze in."
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:You can see the progression. First, he was making tackles, then he gets to call the defense.

I love Willis lite...
    Week 1 of the preseason vs. The Tennessee Titans, I said the Seahawks were winning the superbowl...

"Oh and by the way, Go Hawks!!!" Russel Wilson
    skater18000
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:57 pm

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:58 pm
  • skater18000 wrote:
    Hawks46 wrote:You can see the progression. First, he was making tackles, then he gets to call the defense.

I love Willis lite...

He's outplayed Willis this year. More importantly, he's outplayed Bowman too, which is the better SF ILB from the few games I've actually payed attention. Willis often gets to run free where as Bowman usually takes on a blocker and still puts up better stats.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:21 am

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:40 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information