Matt Flynn...

hawker84

Reaction score
captSE":ru5zx1rk said:
Steve Young didn't skedaddle sitting behind Joe Montana. Don't know the particulars on that though.

Why do we want to start talking about getting rid of Flynn? BS, keep him, we might need him.

Aaron Rogers as well... brady behind bledsoe!! a lot of good backs ups waited to get there shot.

General Manager

Reaction score
Flynn hasn't played since pre-season made some nice throws and showed some ability to escape a pass rusher, he can play. They should be able to get a third round pick for him.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
skater18000":1a2lx0wc said:
All I have 2 say is "we'll see..." but when it happens remember who told u we would get a 2nd round pick for him.
Why do I have the feeling we'll be seeing this quote for a while much like the one of cboom's about Russ we see all the time?

redhawk253

Reaction score
i dont know what game you were watching but he missed a couple of easy td passes.. notice how our drives started to stall and we started kicking fg after fg when he came in.. im not gona say he looked terrible.. cuz he didn't.. but for a guy to come in with a 40somethin point lead and not be able to score on that defense.. he didnt do great. oh yeah and id rather we punt the ball then have our number 1 receiver take a hit like he did.. very lucky he wasn't injured there....

Hawks46

Reaction score
Do you people actually watch the game ? Flynn "missed" that first TD pass because it was tipped at the line. Wilson also had one tipped at the line, but since he walked on water after that, I guess it didn't matter. Flynn also had two passes dropped.

The knock on Flynn was that he isn't athletic, has a noodle arm, and limited experience. I saw evidence of none of that last game. A defender had him dead to rights; Flynn broke the tackle and made a play. This guy hasn't had starting practice reps all regular season. He had a better completion percentage than Wilson. The Cardinals might've "given up", but they were still A gap blitzing the shit out of Flynn, and he handled it fine. He almost got a 1st down on 4th and forever, when teams know it's coming. Yes, he has a limited sample size, but at some point, EVERY time he comes in, and he looks good, maybe it's cuz he's good.

I see a lot of people saying "we've gotta trade Flynn....he makes too much money". Really ? We can keep Flynn for one simple reason: we have a starting QB that is getting paid 3rd round money. Seriously, we're not even paying late 1st round money for Wilson. You can't ever get a starting QB for that money. We can fit both on the roster if needed.

Oh, FLynn had almost no interest in the FA market. Well, you had Manning, which had everyone chasing after him. Then, you have probably the best QB top heavy draft in the last decade. If you're Indy, Waash, Stl (didn't need a QB), you're going after Luck, RGIII, Tannehill, etc. Like someone said, FLynn is 28....go after a younger guy is sometimes preferrable. I think his market is in the iddle of "he aint worth a 4th rounder" and "he's worth Fitz and a 1st rounder".

And seriously, how would he not be worth a 4th rounder ? I don't konw many teams that wouldn't give up a 4th rounder for a sure quality backup.

General Manager

Reaction score
Hawks46":2uetlfrk said:
Do you people actually watch the game ? Flynn "missed" that first TD pass because it was tipped at the line. Wilson also had one tipped at the line, but since he walked on water after that, I guess it didn't matter. Flynn also had two passes dropped.

The knock on Flynn was that he isn't athletic, has a noodle arm, and limited experience. I saw evidence of none of that last game. A defender had him dead to rights; Flynn broke the tackle and made a play. This guy hasn't had starting practice reps all regular season. He had a better completion percentage than Wilson. The Cardinals might've "given up", but they were still A gap blitzing the shit out of Flynn, and he handled it fine. He almost got a 1st down on 4th and forever, when teams know it's coming. Yes, he has a limited sample size, but at some point, EVERY time he comes in, and he looks good, maybe it's cuz he's good.

I see a lot of people saying "we've gotta trade Flynn....he makes too much money". Really ? We can keep Flynn for one simple reason: we have a starting QB that is getting paid 3rd round money. Seriously, we're not even paying late 1st round money for Wilson. You can't ever get a starting QB for that money. We can fit both on the roster if needed.

Oh, FLynn had almost no interest in the FA market. Well, you had Manning, which had everyone chasing after him. Then, you have probably the best QB top heavy draft in the last decade. If you're Indy, Waash, Stl (didn't need a QB), you're going after Luck, RGIII, Tannehill, etc. Like someone said, FLynn is 28....go after a younger guy is sometimes preferrable. I think his market is in the iddle of "he aint worth a 4th rounder" and "he's worth Fitz and a 1st rounder".

And seriously, how would he not be worth a 4th rounder ? I don't konw many teams that wouldn't give up a 4th rounder for a sure quality backup.

I wouldn't trade him for a 4th unless you want to make sure he's out of the division. He's worth a third imo. I think he's going to be a good QB for someone he'd be a huge upgrade for a team like Arizona and your 100 percent correct the ball was tipped or it would have been six.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
So... who's going to trade for Flynn? Arizona? Another old backup QB? No.

Philadelphia? Nick Foles or drafting. Minnesota? The Jets? Jacksonville? Oakland? Kansas City?

I don't see any of these teams trading a lot for Kolb... I mean, uh Flynn. Flynn has looked OK at best.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I get a little feisty when people post on here "Facts" on their arguments, and I've read 3 times that Flynn "missed" that 1st throw.

I wouldn't trade Flynn at all, unless I could get a 2nd for him, and there was a QB in the 2nd round that I knew could come in and play. If Wilson gets hurt, and Flynn is gone, who do we have ? You want ugly....that's ugly. And scary. My point was that a solid backup that can get you wins is easily worth a 4th rounder. GM's in this league know it too.....look around. How many QBs have been hurt this year ? People castigated SHanahan (which is one of the best offensive minds in football) about drafting 2 QBs. Cousins already validated that pick in one half of one quarter. Our resident draft experts liked Cousins, at least a lot of the ones I read on this site did.

I'm just saying, in looking at how he comes in and plays, while sitting on the bench the entire season, he always plays well. At NE, as a rookie, he played very well. And NE's defense was better back then. Vs. Detroit, he had a career day. Sure, Detroit's secondary is bad, but they have an elite DL. Look what they did to us, and our run game. Then he gets limited time here. Yup, it was a Cards team that had "given up". They were still blitzing the crap out of him. He changed the run calls a few times to a different side, completed 55% of his passes, and looked pretty polished.

I'm of the opinion that you can only make so many excuses for a guy, and you can only make so many against a guy. Problem is, he'll be too old before it's mainstream knowledge. I feel as bad for him, as I feel good for Wilson. Sadly, when soemone wins, someone else has to lose.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The question isn't whether Flynn has trade value, he most certainly does. He's still better than 20% of NFL QB's, and his salary is low enough for any team desperate to bring in a QB to challenge for a starting job to take a look at trading for him.

The question is a 3rd or 4th round pick worth it for the Hawks to give up the security of having a very good backup QB.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
General Manager":3p9urnwu said:
I'd rather they just kept him than dump him for a fourth.

Richard Sherman was a 5th. I would much rather have someone on the team that can contribute.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wu4iajyt said:
The question isn't whether Flynn has trade value, he most certainly does. He's still better than 20% of NFL QB's

What are you basing that off of? If this was true people would have been lining up to sign him last year. The fact that he lost the QB battle here only further deflates his already non-existent value. We will be lucky to get a 6 or 7th round pick for him. People here REALLY tend to overvalue our own guys.

mikeak

Reaction score
To me the only way that trading Flynn is worth it is if we get a draft pick and then use that pick or a LOWER pick for a rookie qb that we think is able to play. (a third round guy that we think can play is worth it for the lower salary)

Look at the Bears last year - no backup
Look at Oakland last year about to go playoff qb injured - desperation trade that is costing them

Look at Redskins yesterday - we will see if Cousins is any good but he was able to come in and play for them and tie the game
Look at Bears THIS year - still no backup
Look at 49ers this year - crushes Bears with a competent backup

We have to have a backup that is able to not just take the ball from the Center but to WIN games. If that is Flynn at $10 million (I don't care about the real number) or if that is a drafted kid I don't care but it should not be guy that to me has proven that he can't have this team winning in the playoffs......

Remember Russell is not making any real money for the next 2 years (plus this season) so the qb position is still "cheap" regardless of how you look at it.......

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":30k60oxm said:
Why is it that Flynn has to go again?

Is there some etched-in-stone reason other than he makes a little money? I like Flynn on this roster and either want him right where he is or beating out Wilson in camp.

This. I don't want to trade him for a mid round draft pick and end up with a crappy backup QB either via the draft or free agency.

We have a good situation with 2 quality QB's. I don't want to end up having to put in a Curtis Painter or Dan Orlovsky type backup.

Honestly, the only realistic situation right now is if we could get T Jack back as a backup i'd be ok with it. I'm totally comfortable with TJ as a backup.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
skater18000":1b456v7w said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1b456v7w said:
He played garbage time in a 58-0 beat down.

I'm one of those people who thinks we'll do well to get more than a 4th rounder for him. There was barely any interest when he was available as a free agent, his old coach was lukewarm at best about signing him and the only other interested party was Seattle. He's since not won the job here. And while some new teams have emerged needing a quarterback this season, there's hardly a laundry list of obvious suitors. Try selling Matt Flynn as the answer to the fans and owners in Kansas City or New York.

And he'll be 28 years old at the start of next season too. It's not old, but it's likely too old to give up significant draft stock for a physically unspectacular career backup.

The reason he didn't get other suitors is because their were only 6 QB needy teams (Colts, Redskins, Dolphins, Browns, Broncos, and the Seahawks of course) so all the teams had their eyes on better quarterbacks than Flynn (except for maybe Brandon Weeden) so... this year the quarterbacks out their shouldn't be as good... probably 3 first round quarterbacks and maybe a few later guys (Landry Jones and Aaron Murray) and Matt Flynn is better than any of the free agents (besides Joe Flacco) So... a 2nd round pick for the 3rd or 4th best available quarterback... other teams will agree...

That's not going to happen. NO ONE is giving a 2nd rounder for a career backup who was average yesterday. He missed Baldwin on a TD throw, didn't even give him a chance to make the play. His best play was the play to Rice where he got blasted. He ended with a 79.9 rating and 7.6 YPA. That T-Jack territory. In his 2 drives of the 3rd quarter we failed to score a TD dispite BOTH drives starting inside Arizona's 32 yard line due to turnovers.

But I agree with several who don't want to trade Flynn. He's a good backup and I hope we keep him... I think keeping him is worth more than a 4th round pick and an unstable backup QB situation. Unless they resign Portis and beleive he's the long term answer as a backup.

General Manager

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":qmmvhqha said:
General Manager":qmmvhqha said:
I'd rather they just kept him than dump him for a fourth.

Richard Sherman was a 5th. I would much rather have someone on the team that can contribute.

And what happens if Wilson gets hurt and we don't have a good backup QB were screwed that's what, not buyin that arguement. They should keep him if they can if not trade him out of the division.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I just think that backup QB is really important these days. We have seen what happens when backups get extended play with Wallace. I for one would like the dropoff to be minimal. If we were to lose Russ, even for 1 game it would cost us severely if we didn't have that good backup.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2gt7jtxj said:
Sgt. Largent":2gt7jtxj said:
The question isn't whether Flynn has trade value, he most certainly does. He's still better than 20% of NFL QB's

What are you basing that off of? If this was true people would have been lining up to sign him last year. The fact that he lost the QB battle here only further deflates his already non-existent value. We will be lucky to get a 6 or 7th round pick for him. People here REALLY tend to overvalue our own guys.

20% of NFL QB's is eight starting QB's.

It's not a stretch for me to say that if you dropped Flynn in for any of these QB's, he'd do better.

- Gabbert
- Palmer
- Weeden
- Sanchez
- Cassel
- Skelton/Lindley
- Locker
- Henne

So NOT A STRETCH that any of these teams wouldn't consider giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick to get Flynn into camp to compete for a job.