Earl Thomas???

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Earl Thomas???
Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am
  • I loved this guy in college. He was a ball hawking freak. I could see him becoming one of the best safetys in the NFL...and a frequent visitor to the Probowl. Then with the addition of these awesome DB's i figured he would really shine. But so far he is real quiet snf kinda taking a backseat to the other Db's. Not complaining. I love the kid. But why do you think his ball hawking has dropped off. Even his tackle have seemed to drop off, and his int certainly did. I still see a recod year in his future. Just want other opinions as to why he is so quiet this season.
    Steve Largent is greatest Seahawk WR of all time
    xCalibur
    NET Rookie

Re: Earl Thomas???
Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 am
  • Seattle plays a lot of 2 man and cover 1. Meaning especially in 2 man under your not going deep against us. Quarterbacks will avoid the safetys zones when they have 1 - 1 matchup. Teams also know to avoid earl because they know he can make plays on the ball. What Seattle trys to do is play man cover 1 and 2 man to take everything deep away and force quarterbacks to beat tight press man coverage on the outside and line backers tight to the backs/tight ends... the disadvantages of playing man all the time is when you have Marcus trufant on anyone or a Leroy hill on anyone... In man coverage unless your revis offense every wins about 50% of the time... but when you get good man play from our guys like WT3 and Sherman and browner at times earls job is easy... LAST LINE OF DEFENSE
    Week 1 of the preseason vs. The Tennessee Titans, I said the Seahawks were winning the superbowl...

"Oh and by the way, Go Hawks!!!" Russel Wilson
    skater18000
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:52 am
  • xCalibur wrote:I loved this guy in college. He was a ball hawking freak. I could see him becoming one of the best safetys in the NFL...and a frequent visitor to the Probowl. Then with the addition of these awesome DB's i figured he would really shine. But so far he is real quiet snf kinda taking a backseat to the other Db's. Not complaining. I love the kid. But why do you think his ball hawking has dropped off. Even his tackle have seemed to drop off, and his int certainly did. I still see a recod year in his future. Just want other opinions as to why he is so quiet this season.

Ball hawking hasnt dropped off, only thing thats dropped for Earl is those INT's he's almost had.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:06 am
  • feels like the ball is rarely in the air near ET. he just isnt given the opportunities to pick off passes
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:15 am
  • He makes a lot of tackles and is all over the place on passing downs, you just don't notice it because there haven't been the turnovers. He's a monster on hitting runners that break through and when the ball is thrown deep, he's there closing in on it and backing up his DBs. Without him, they couldn't play press the way they do. But because he's so fast, they can take chances and the QB doesn't dare throw the ball if Earl is in his line of sight because he will get there. Go check out his stats, they will tell you more than your eyes.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:03 am
  • ivotuk wrote:He makes a lot of tackles and is all over the place on passing downs, you just don't notice it because there haven't been the turnovers. He's a monster on hitting runners that break through and when the ball is thrown deep, he's there closing in on it and backing up his DBs. Without him, they couldn't play press the way they do. But because he's so fast, they can take chances and the QB doesn't dare throw the ball if Earl is in his line of sight because he will get there. Go check out his stats, they will tell you more than your eyes.

Exactly. Earl is the oil that keeps the engine running.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:50 am
  • He is one of the top 2 or 3 in the game at the moment, only getting better too.

Teams gameplan with him in mind.

They should nickname him , Zoom or something.

The guy is just flying around ...
    Last edited by Uffda on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:53 am
  • when coaches and players vote he WILL be in the probowl
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:28 am
  • if we count all the drops he had this year he has ATLEAST 5 interceptions .. and i may be shortin him a few.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:49 am
  • better to not hear about him....means he's not getting beat
    DJ_CJ
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:14 am
  • Sherman is the best player on defense and it isn't close best corner in the game right now.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 am
  • Like DJ said, its a good thing you dont ever hear anything from him. Why do you think teams continue to throw the ball Shermans way? They have no other choice.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:45 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    xCalibur wrote:I loved this guy in college. He was a ball hawking freak. I could see him becoming one of the best safetys in the NFL...and a frequent visitor to the Probowl. Then with the addition of these awesome DB's i figured he would really shine. But so far he is real quiet snf kinda taking a backseat to the other Db's. Not complaining. I love the kid. But why do you think his ball hawking has dropped off. Even his tackle have seemed to drop off, and his int certainly did. I still see a recod year in his future. Just want other opinions as to why he is so quiet this season.

Ball hawking hasnt dropped off, only thing thats dropped for Earl is those INT's he's almost had.

This is so true. He's had more balls off his fingertips this year than I can recall seeing from any single player. A lot of people would look at this solely and think he's lost something, but honestly, some of those balls, I've seen Earl come literally out of nowhere (by this I mean not visible at all on the tv screen) to come zooming in and almost pick a ball off or grab a batted pass. The man has serious wheels and plays all over the field. Couple this with the fact that teams know he's much better at pass protection, where Kam is much better at run protection, and you see more throws in Kam's area of the field (as far as safeties are concerned). It may be just a perception, but you also don't see as many deep throws against us as you might against other teams. We get a little soft in the short to mid range throws and these are not in Thomas' area of the field, although if you watch through the entire play, at the end you will almost always see him around the ball.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:48 am
  • I have absolutely no complaints about Earl.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:35 am
  • How many of our picks this year come when the other team is in the red zone? I'm getting to the point where I don't mind if the other team drives down the field because Thomas gets more freed up by not playing deep and magic happens. Definitely another Pro Bowl year for Earl.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:41 am
  • Earl Thomas is so fast in his pursuit on defending the pass , or blitzing the qb and in run defense.

sometimes it seems as if he were slower he would have more interceptions , but im very proud of Earl . remember the dude is 23 years old :thirishdrinkers:
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:48 am
  • General Manager wrote:Sherman is the best player on defense and it isn't close best corner in the game right now.

I agree ... Sherman is a legitimate lock down corner. The guy is so much fun to watch. He brings a ton of intensity, and swag/ confidence to this defense. The defensive line knows they have the best DB's in football behind them, which is why they never give up on getting to the QB.
    Attachments
    14676_434818293252741_534692036_n.jpg
    14676_434818293252741_534692036_n.jpg (35.89 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
    RussWILSON3
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:52 am
  • Uffda wrote:He is one of the top 2 or 3 in the game at the moment, only getting better too.

Teams gameplan with him in mind.

They should nickname him , Zoom or something.

The guy is just flying around ...

They absolutely do gameplan for Earl. As was mentioned by another poster, he simply does not get thrown at very much. Same goes with Kam.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:02 am
  • To start Thomas's career, QBs would throw deep, thinking Thomas couldn't get there. The word is now out on his range, and QBs are figuring out to keep it away from Earl. Even Brady commented on how he coudln't believe Thomas's range and closing speed.

That said, he's still getting his opportunities, but he's dropped a few this year. I'm also impressed with how hard he hits, since he's actually a pretty small guy. Kid brings it with every play.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:56 am
  • Earl hasn't dropped off, he isn't a big talker, he lets Sherm and Browner do that. Kam is quiet too. ET is EVERYWHERE and very dangerous.

In fact, if for some reason, the Hawks have to play games with both Browner and Sherman out, the secondary is still VERY good with WT3, Kam and ET out there. Maybe one of the young ones steps in and makes a name for himself, but ET is still doing his job. He has dropped a few INTs, but he is always seeming to be in the play.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:03 am
  • DBs are a weird position. The good ones get lots of stats and what not but the truly elite DBs (both corners and safeties) just don't even get thrown at. Revis will never lead the league in interceptions but no-one will ever throw at him.

Elite DBs effect the game by just being on the field. Thomas is an elite safety
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:25 pm
  • Wow, thx guys...this was very informative and i see now what you mean. It is like just being on the field he makes us a better defense because no one wants to put the ball near him. So he is making everyone around him better. Great replys. thx a lot....i smell playoffs, and yes, i have to say even a division title
    Steve Largent is greatest Seahawk WR of all time
    xCalibur
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:21 pm
  • Late add to this one, ET's tackles might be down a bit this year due to the improvement in our LB corps. KJ and Bobby are making the stops before they get to ET's level. IMHO you WANT your MLB to have more tackles than your FS. :)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information