Matt Flynn...

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":pegsx38v said:
SEC FAN":pegsx38v said:
Why? Just why? Is that 4th rounder so coveted that we trade our back up plan? I'm not saying that you want to trade him English, trust me I want to believe you are smarter then that and I think you are. Flynn doesn't make that much and if you combine what he and RW3 makes its peanuts compared to what other starters make. Why are some people so hell bent on trading him? Screw the god damn 3rd at best and more likely 4th or worst, I want a capable back up. My god!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made no reference to whether I'd trade him for a fourth rounder. I said I couldn't see a team offering much more than that.

skater18000":pegsx38v said:
The reason he didn't get other suitors is because their were only 6 QB needy teams (Colts, Redskins, Dolphins, Browns, Broncos, and the Seahawks of course) so all the teams had their eyes on better quarterbacks than Flynn (except for maybe Brandon Weeden) so... this year the quarterbacks out their shouldn't be as good... probably 3 first round quarterbacks and maybe a few later guys (Landry Jones and Aaron Murray) and Matt Flynn is better than any of the free agents (besides Joe Flacco) So... a 2nd round pick for the 3rd or 4th best available quarterback... other teams will agree...

This seems incredibly wishful. I expect three quarterbacks to go in round one of the draft as things stand today (Matt Barkley, Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson) and there's another QB out there that not many people are talking about who could get into the mix (David Fales at San Jose State). Plus, there are other logical options who could go in round two or three (Aaron Murray, Mike Glennon and Landry Jones). So really, while there's no Andrew Luck or RGIII in this class, there are still plenty of options.

I'm not sure who these teams are you think might be willing to trade a second rounder. Kansas City's second rounder is going to be the #33 or #34 overall pick. They are not trading that for Matt Flynn. They are also unlikely to go for a 28-year-old career backup after years of 'getting by' at QB. Buffalo have just wasted a lot of money on Ryan Fitzpatrick - a player not completely unlike Flynn. The New York Jets have millions tied into Sanchez and good luck selling Matt Flynn as the answer to that fan base. Jacksonville's owner appears to like flashy statement-type moves. I see him trading for Tebow (ticket sales) before Flynn. Philly might as well go with Foles. Arizona and Seattle aren't going to do this trade as division rivals.

So who's trading a second rounder for Flynn?

The Raiders!!!! Vikings, Jets, Jaguars, Browns, Chargers, Chiefs, Bills... In that order...

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
Even the ravens if Joe flacco won't resign, but that's highly unlikely

SEC FAN

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":df11dutr said:
SEC FAN":df11dutr said:
Why? Just why? Is that 4th rounder so coveted that we trade our back up plan? I'm not saying that you want to trade him English, trust me I want to believe you are smarter then that and I think you are. Flynn doesn't make that much and if you combine what he and RW3 makes its peanuts compared to what other starters make. Why are some people so hell bent on trading him? Screw the god damn 3rd at best and more likely 4th or worst, I want a capable back up. My god!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made no reference to whether I'd trade him for a fourth rounder. I said I couldn't see a team offering much more than that.

Okay, I figured that. Skater, seriously man....and this goes for anyone out there. You want to trade/fire anyone, then give me your answer too. You wanna trade Flynn, fire Carroll, whatever, then you better have a better answer to take that spot. Their is a reason why Carroll/Schneider kept guys like Kelly Jennings and Marcus Trufant......they didn't have a better answer!!!!!! So when you want to ship off Matt Flynn than the least you can do is provide the answer.

/Rant Over

Rainger

Reaction score
Excuse me BUT even though I loved that Flynn got in the game and showed something. He is not RW. I remember in the preseason all the Flynn supporters downplaying RW because he was playing in the second half against 3rd and 4th strings (BTW there are no 4th strings) Anyways it was good to see Flynn play. I am stoked we have a good backup but he did it against a demoralized team that had quit on the game against second stringers and firsts who were going through the motions. So if it was good enough to poo poo it in the pre season with RW we can do the same here. Do not get me wrong. I am stoked absoulutly stoked we have one of the best backups in the league. But as long as we have RW that is exactly what he is a BACKUP.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
SEC FAN":1s8xtspy said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1s8xtspy said:
SEC FAN":1s8xtspy said:

Okay, I figured that. Skater, seriously man....and this goes for anyone out there. You want to trade/fire anyone, then give me your answer too. You wanna trade Flynn, fire Carroll, whatever, then you better have a better answer to take that spot. Their is a reason why Carroll/Schneider kept guys like Kelly Jennings and Marcus Trufant......they didn't have a better answer!!!!!! So when you want to ship off Matt Flynn than the least you can do is provide the answer.

/Rant Over

So its hard to find a liable BACKUP... Tebow, Collin Klein, Travis Jackson are u kidding me.... plenty of good backups that will come here for way less money 2

SEC FAN

Reaction score
skater18000":38nw2n69 said:
So its hard to find a liable BACKUP... Tebow, Collin Klein, Travis Jackson are u kidding me.... plenty of good backups that will come here for way less money 2

You want Tebow, Klein, TJack over Matt Flynn? We already know the coaches prefer Flynn over TJack. So that leaves us with Klein and Tebow. I can't say you are wrong but only 2 teams wanted Tebow. Of those 2 teams in Jacksonville and NY Jets, the Jets won't even play him over a horrible starter. So that tells me atleast 31 teams wouldn't play him over their current starters. Klein isn't available until next year and he will be a rookie. He is a project middle round pick at best. So even if you get a 3rd rounder for Flynn, which is unlikely, you are drafting someone in the same round with no experience and is a project.

Flynn has experience, starter appeal, and his salary isn't that much. Remember he was just about our starter this year, but was beat out by the rookie of the year (potentially) who is leading his team to the playoffs.

captSE

Reaction score
Steve Young didn't skedaddle sitting behind Joe Montana. Don't know the particulars on that though.

Why do we want to start talking about getting rid of Flynn? BS, keep him, we might need him.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
SEC FAN":3v85chgc said:
skater18000":3v85chgc said:
You want Tebow, Klein, TJack over Matt Flynn? [/quote]

And a 2nd rounder and about $5,000, 000 of cap room back... btw great teams don't have great backups, I want a quarterback that can win 7-9 (TJack) Tjack is a great fit as a backup and the only reason heist the backup right now is because we stole a conditional from the bills... haha... he could come back...

[/quote]We already know the coaches prefer Flynn over TJack. So that leaves us with Klein and Tebow. I can't say you are wrong but only 2 teams wanted Tebow. Klein isn't available until next year and he will be a rookie. He is a project middle round pick at best.

Flynn has experience, starter appeal, and his salary isn't that much. Remember he was just about our starter this year, but was beat out by the rookie of the year (potentially) who is leading his team to the playoffs.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
skater18000":2mniiw1q said:
And a 2nd rounder and about $5,000, 000 of cap room back... btw great teams don't have great backups, I want a quarterback that can win 7-9 (TJack) Tjack is a great fit as a backup and the only reason heist the backup right now is because we stole a conditional from the bills... haha... he could come back...

Okay this is getting stupid. TJack isn't even the number 1 backup on a horrible Bills team. Great teams don't have good back ups? Like when Walsh picked up Young from the USFL to back up Montana, Rams picked up Warner from Arena Football to back up Trent Green, Patriots had Brady in the 6th I believe to back up Bledsoe, Stealers had Rapistburger to back up O'Donnell. Even when I was a little kid I remember Doug Williams, Frank Reich, and Hostetler were back ups who won/went to SuperBowls.

Like I said my friend the coaches already prefer Flynn over TJack so your TJack dreams need to go. That choice has been made. LOL, some Seattle people get so attached to sentimental guys like TJack. Reminds me of Seneca Wallace SMH.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
captSE":28hkonb9 said:
Steve Young didn't skedaddle sitting behind Joe Montana. Don't know the particulars on that though.

Why do we want to start talking about getting rid of Flynn? BS, keep him, we might need him.

We'll see.

Throwdown

Reaction score
We aren't getting a 4th for him no way, no how. I say keep him and try and get him to restructure that deal sometime in a future offseason.

Spounge84

Reaction score
skater18000":1r377kot said:
The Raiders!!!! Vikings, Jets, Jaguars, Browns, Chargers, Chiefs, Bills... In that order...

The Raiders aren't going to give up a high pick after they recently gave two firsts for Carson Palmer.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
There's no way Flynn is on this roster next year. His contract is too much for a backup QB. I honestly think we'll cut him after this year. Who wants to trade for an old career backup?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Flynn didn't look half bad out there today. I'd trade him in a second for the right deal. I'd take TJ! and a 5th.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
All I have 2 say is "we'll see..." but when it happens remember who told u we would get a 2nd round pick for him.

pinksheets

Reaction score
skater18000":12s8a2oq said:
All I have 2 say is "we'll see..." but when it happens remember who told u we would get a 2nd round pick for him.
Alright.

Hey guys, the NFL Draft will be interrupted by a stampede of unicorns.

Don't believe me?

Just remember who told you it was going to happen.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Gotta say, Flynn today reminded me of (a 2003-2004) Hasselbeck, just his style his reads, the way he moves, quick decisions, etc. Even though I don't think Flynn had great stats, he looked good, looked ready, and I would be confident he could perform well if called upon with a game in the balance.
Flynn's salary cap money is a bit of a problem though, but probably not that much given that Wilson is making peanuts. I expect PC/JS to absolutely keep Flynn next year, or two, unless some unbeatable offer comes along, or a good backup gets drafted later in the draft.
This year, there were some sleeper gem rookies, several of which are now playing--Kirk Cousins in Washington, Nick Foles in Philly, and darned if there isn't one more I can't immediately think of (besides Ryan Lindley), but IIRC, all were 3rd-4th-5th-roundish or later. So I'd expect PC/JS will look to pick up a Kirk Cousins-type player in the the 4th-6th round in the next draft(s) and have a good backup plan already in place before even considering trading Flynn.

Oh yeah, and does anyone remember Gary Kubiak before he was the coach of the Texans? Remember what else he was? (Drum roll...)
Yeah, that's right, he was John Elway's backup. And every time that Elway missed a game for the Broncos against the Seahawks, it seemed like Kubiak came in and played as well or better than Elway would have, and the Broncos beat the Seahawks every time I can recall that Kubiak started.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Why is it that Flynn has to go again?

Is there some etched-in-stone reason other than he makes a little money? I like Flynn on this roster and either want him right where he is or beating out Wilson in camp.