First Time Russell Faces the Same Team

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
First Time Russell Faces the Same Team
Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:39 am
  • I am really excited about this. I have been practically all year.

    Wilson has the trait of improving visibly from game to game. Usually the concept of a Rookie QB against a D that sees him a second time favors a defense. Or at least, I feel that way in my gut about that kind of thing.

    With Wilson, I have long thought by the time he plays Arizona again it would be retribution. I bet he has watched all the division games this year, watching those defenses respond to plays and tactics.
    Image
    User avatar
    madbohem
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 169
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:37 am


Re: First Time Russell Faces the Same Team
Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:54 am
  • This is a very interesting defensive matchup. Arizona has one of the more complex blitzing defenses in the league, and are right behind Chicago in interceptions. Definitely no pushover for our offense.

    I can tell you one thing, if Carroll and Bevell go into conservative offensive playcalling, I'm going to throw a brick through my TV. This is a game you come out firing, get up early on a team that's about to implode........and you bury them in the first half.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4067
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: First Time Russell Faces the Same Team
Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:09 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:This is a very interesting defensive matchup. Arizona has one of the more complex blitzing defenses in the league, and are right behind Chicago in interceptions. Definitely no pushover for our offense.

    I can tell you one thing, if Carroll and Bevell go into conservative offensive playcalling, I'm going to throw a brick through my TV. This is a game you come out firing, get up early on a team that's about to implode........and you bury them in the first half.


    That would be ideal. I'm hoping this is like the Minn game in which RW threw for 3 TD's in the first half. If we can get out to a 2 TD lead quickly than I think we'll bludgeon them with Lynch and Turbin and drain the clock.

    It might be one of those annoy RW game were he only throws for 185 yards, but has 3 TD's and complete 70% of his passes, super efficient just not a ton of throws in the 2nd half.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2483
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: First Time Russell Faces the Same Team
Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:40 pm
  • The staff better just let Wilson play, trying to control him and box him into a specific set of plays just seems to stall our offense and feeds into the defense once they figure out how to control that aspect of the game.

    On defense go after them instead of playing back and safe, with pressure and making them have to react rather then dictate we should be able to control both sides of the ball.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 11669
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: First Time Russell Faces the Same Team
Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:46 pm
  • Playing it safe won't necessarily hurt them. Arizona is way better against the pass than run, so if we should be able to run on them.

    This is an interesting matchup. Our offense is very different from the one they saw in week 1. Wilson is a different QB, and we've expanded the offense and added plays. Throw in playing at home, where Wilson has been comfortable all year, and we're looking good.

    We just have to watch the turnovers, since ARI gets to the ball.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4123
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


  • There's an interesting parallel between the two Arizona games. Before the first game, media expectations were up there a bit (in the context of the rookie class) after a spectacular preseason. Second game, media expectations are back up as he's thrust back in the national spotlight as somebody to watch.
    User avatar
    Jac
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 679
    Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:50 am


  • Hawks46 wrote:Playing it safe won't necessarily hurt them.


    It could if we go conservative on offense and only go into the 4th quarter with a touchdown or less lead, then we're back to trusting our D to hold an offense.......which they haven't exactly been great at holding leads lately.

    Wilson has a fantastic grasp on the offense now, there's no reason to go back to running on 1st down 85% of the time. Make Arizona pay for their aggressive blitzes early.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4067
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Zona has a formidable D for sure and I believe the first half will decide this game. If we are up by 2 or more scores going into the half, I think an uninspired Zona will fold by the 4th. OTOH, these teams eliminated from post season play sometimes play as though their jobs depend on victory...and they do. This is a very obvious statement but where things get perplexing is when you get hot seat coaches going for it on 4 and 10 from their own 40. Why not? The only thrill left is to spoil the party of others.

    I would like to see the team script 10 plays to start our first possession. No huddle, just break neck football the whole first series. Wilson is the perfect QB for this and has a serious knack for making something out of nothing should things get a bit sideways. We gas their ass', score, then let #12 take over. Coming off a very emotional road win, this should be a statement game. I believe it will be that.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6733
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • First time in the NFL that he's faced the same team twice in a year. He and Wisconsin played Michigan State twice last year because they faced off in the inaugural Big 10 Championship game.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5113
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


Re: First Time Russell Faces the Same Team
Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:33 pm
  • maybe hold the reigns in the first half, if that isn't productive unleash the crakken, run one throw 2 deep, run 2 throw one deep, run one throw 2 deep, rinse and repeat

    Seattles D must show up and continue getting the ball back 3 and out after 3 and out, this is Kilimanjaro, this is Seahawks football, this is where offenses come to do their time, this is "the Clink"

    play for keeps

    Image

    juss servin my time
    GO HAWKS!!!
    User avatar
    Twisted
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1554
    Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 pm


Re: First Time Russell Faces the Same Team
Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:47 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawks46 wrote:Playing it safe won't necessarily hurt them.


    It could if we go conservative on offense and only go into the 4th quarter with a touchdown or less lead, then we're back to trusting our D to hold an offense.......which they haven't exactly been great at holding leads lately.

    Wilson has a fantastic grasp on the offense now, there's no reason to go back to running on 1st down 85% of the time. Make Arizona pay for their aggressive blitzes early.

    You are exactly right Sarge, because when you let up on the throttle, the Defenses start smelling blood, and push you into making mistakes.
    If there's one thing that can be taken from watching the better teams, it's get up on it, and put the numbers out of reach for the opponent to make a come back.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3918
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • I'm not disagreeing with you guys, I'm just saying that Arizona is somewhere around 24th vs. the run. Now, it can mean a few things, like they are so good against the pass, that teams are forced to run. Their offense is truly terrible, and teams are never that far behind then that they have to pass a lot and scew the stats.

    We can run on them though, since we're a good run team. Now, they're going to stack the box, but if we can keep them off balance, run when they think pass and vice versa, then we will be fine. I just would like to see us either make them hesitate on their favored A gap blitzes, or keep them off balance enough to telegraph it, so Wilson can audible into a bootleg, screen, or read option. If we can catch them blitzing the middle, and hit them outside, we're going to get some big plays and hurt them.

    On defense, I'm curious to see how much pressure we'll get on them. If we can't get pressure on this team, at home, then our personnel just aren't working. We base our defense off of getting good pressure by the front 4. I'm thinking we'll see some blitzes by them.

    I wouldn't expect the Cards to lie down. This is a division rival, the teams don't like eachother, and they've owned us the last few years. At 0-3 in the division, it's time to start punching division rivals in the face.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4123
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


  • Whatever we do, dont hurt John Skelton. We saw what happened last time we did that.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18840
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • JSeahawks wrote:Whatever we do, dont hurt John Skelton. We saw what happened last time we did that.

    :laugh:

    Actually watched the replay of that first game last night. It was surreal how well Kolb did on that drive, and of course Fitz once again reamed us.

    Here's to success at home. :thirishdrinkers:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 10514
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Monroe, WA


  • And a good way to start the final quarter of Seattle's schedule, which features three rematches against NFC West opponents, all to be played at CenturyLink Field. For the first time this season, Wilson prepared for an opponent he has faced before. That doesn't mean he's the same, though.

    "I have 12 times the experience," Wilson said.

    http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 ... wks09.html
    Hey Rams, look at the bright side..........After this Sunday, you'll have a higher draft pick
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25677
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: Mmmmm...Roasted leg of Lamb


  • Hawks46 wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you guys, I'm just saying that Arizona is somewhere around 24th vs. the run. Now, it can mean a few things, like they are so good against the pass, that teams are forced to run. Their offense is truly terrible, and teams are never that far behind then that they have to pass a lot and scew the stats.

    We can run on them though, since we're a good run team. Now, they're going to stack the box, but if we can keep them off balance, run when they think pass and vice versa, then we will be fine. I just would like to see us either make them hesitate on their favored A gap blitzes, or keep them off balance enough to telegraph it, so Wilson can audible into a bootleg, screen, or read option. If we can catch them blitzing the middle, and hit them outside, we're going to get some big plays and hurt them.

    On defense, I'm curious to see how much pressure we'll get on them. If we can't get pressure on this team, at home, then our personnel just aren't working. We base our defense off of getting good pressure by the front 4. I'm thinking we'll see some blitzes by them.

    I wouldn't expect the Cards to lie down. This is a division rival, the teams don't like eachother, and they've owned us the last few years. At 0-3 in the division, it's time to start punching division rivals in the face.


    Look a little beyond that 24th ranking. They are actually pretty far ahead of us, only giving up 4.1 yards per rush, compared to our 4.5. So yeah, it is the fact that they have been behind a lot, and that the constant blitzing does leave them open to a big run or two.

    We had the same issue last year, our run D was really good, but our run D was lower ranked than it should have been precisely because nobody respected our offense.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 12038
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • JSeahawks wrote:Whatever we do, dont hurt John Skelton. We saw what happened last time we did that.

    Kolb is still out with a rib injury, so if Skelton gets hurt it'll be Lindley that comes in.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7058
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • it doesnt matter how well Wilson performs in this game against Arizona. The Cardinals will be lucky if they score 10 points in this game. Russell only has to play mediocre to win this game.
    Carhanu21
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:14 pm


Re: First Time Russell Faces the Same Team
Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:38 am
  • and you bury them in the first half.[/quote]

    Real DEEEEP
    TLD0550
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 346
    Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:50 pm




It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information