Adam Schefter on Russell Wilson

HawkWow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1hzystt7 said:
SoulfishHawk":1hzystt7 said:
You mad Mel Kiper?

Kiper ate some crow this morning on Mike and Mike, he gushed for a good 2 minutes on Wilson after he said if Wilson was 6'2 he would have been vying for the #1 draft pick with Luck.

Here's the audio, go ahead and skip to the 5:55 mark, first parts of the segment are about the Heisman and college coaching changes.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8723521

Coincidence or Karma? In Thai, the number 5 is prononuced "Ha". So 5:55 would be "Hahaha". That laughter is directed at myself as much as Kiper. Like Melvin, I thought RW was a reach. The biggest difference being, Kiper got paid for his stupidity...I didn't.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Another guy who was pretty critical of the Hawks back in April for drafting Wilson was Mike Lombardi...and he's actually been a GM in the league. I heard him on Simmons's podcasts saying it was a bad pick that high since we had signed Flynn. Also said that the training camp competition wouldn't work because it would end up with none of the guys getting enough reps etc. He's singing Wilson's praises now, but he definitely has not addressed being wrong with his initial comments.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I actually have an excuse. I felt Pete, whom I've often viewed as a college coach (in recent past), got caught up in Tebow-mania (anyone remember Tebow-mania?). I thought Pete was using our 3rd on a situational player to run some exotic version of the wildcat. I felt this because I was very high on Flynn and didn't consider the possibility RW would actually even compete for the 1 spot. So, when RWs name was called, I felt like Pete had used 2 of our first 3 picks (Irvin and RW) on situational players and that irked me, feeling such players were luxury picks reserved for top notch teams like NE. Pete still irks me from time to time, but there is no denying he knows talent when he sees it and I'm glad he's our coach.

kearly

Reaction score
So now we know who the mystery teams were. Philly is not a surprise at all, they needed a QB and with Vick's situation you had to figure they'd be taking a QB earlier than the 7th round, and only a few QBs in the draft carried high grades that were natural point guard types. That plus they were the very next team to draft a QB after Seattle.

Indianapolis is a surprise- sort of. They did an excellent job getting Chandler Harnish with the last pick of the draft. Luck and Harnish are mobile point guard types so it's not surprising in retrospect that they coveted Wilson. Washington isn't a complete surprise given the similarities RG3 and Wilson share, or the leadership/character similarities Wilson and Cousins share. Still, I definitely didn't see that one coming. I figured Green Bay was one of the mystery teams. Shame on them if they didn't have Wilson on their board. If Rodgers goes down their season is over.