Adam Schefter on Russell Wilson

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If you haven't already seen this, here is an article written by Schefter on the Hawks having been lucky to draft Russell Wilson.

My favorite part....
Wilson has thrown a game-winning touchdown pass in the final two minutes of regulation or overtime three times this season, the most by a rookie since at least the 1970 merger. For a handful of teams, Wilson is the quarterback who got away. For one team, Wilson was a steal and a savior.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/10s ... er-10-spot

What Russell did in the 4th quarter and OT in the Bears game last weekend has catapulted Russell and the Seahawks into the national spotlight.

OP
OP
onanygivensunday

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
After the draft, I remember seeing Pete saying in an interview that John Schneider wanted to draft Russell in the 1st round... and he had to be talked down to waiting until the 3rd round... and John was so nervous that another team would step in and grab Russell before the 75th pick.

To me, that is a resounding endorsement of John's scouting acumen and judgement.

NEWS FLASH: John Schneider knows football talent when he sees it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, the picks these guys have made have been very impressive, especially after the 1st round.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":ucjx13s8 said:
You mad Mel Kiper?

Kiper ate some crow this morning on Mike and Mike, he gushed for a good 2 minutes on Wilson after he said if Wilson was 6'2 he would have been vying for the #1 draft pick with Luck.

Here's the audio, go ahead and skip to the 5:55 mark, first parts of the segment are about the Heisman and college coaching changes.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8723521

Basis4day

Reaction score
Peter King has mentioned in a few interviews that he knew of a Team that was guaranteed to draft Wilson had the Seahawks not taken him. He was sworn to secrecy as far as which team it was. Based on Draft order i assumed it was the Eagles to backup Vick.

Per Schefter:

The Philadelphia Eagles intended to draft Wilson 13 slots after Seattle's pick, at No. 88 overall, to back up Michael Vick but wound up drafting Arizona quarterback Nick Foles instead. The Indianapolis Colts planned to pick Wilson with the 92nd overall selection in the third round to back up Luck before taking Florida International wide receiver T.Y. Hilton. And even the Washington Redskins would have grabbed Wilson with the 102nd overall pick in the fourth round to back up Griffin, but when he was gone, they picked Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Awesome.

Zowert

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1jdvlqmi said:
SoulfishHawk":1jdvlqmi said:
You mad Mel Kiper?

Kiper ate some crow this morning on Mike and Mike, he gushed for a good 2 minutes on Wilson after he said if Wilson was 6'2 he would have been vying for the #1 draft pick with Luck.

Here's the audio, go ahead and skip to the 5:55 mark, first parts of the segment are about the Heisman and college coaching changes.

LOL! Thank you for sharing this. I can't stand Mel Kipper. He was wrong about RW and Aaron Curry. I remember Kipper saying Curry was going to be one of the best linebackers in the NFL. For now on, whatever Kipper says, teams should do the opposite. How did that man get his job anyway? He was one of the biggest JaMarcus Russell nut-swingers around too, but I don't fault him for that since everyone was praising that bust.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Zowert":14t2ljvp said:
LOL! Thank you for sharing this. I can't stand Mel Kipper. He was wrong about RW and Aaron Curry. I remember Kipper saying Curry was going to be one of the best linebackers in the NFL. For now on, whatever Kipper says, teams should do the opposite. How did that man get his job anyway? He was one of the biggest JaMarcus Russell nut-swingers around too, but I don't fault him for that since everyone was praising that bust.

I put Kiper in the Chris Berman category...............old, tired and hacky to his core.

I wish I would have saved the website that tracked Kiper's draft predictions, but he's running on a bout an 18% success rate with predicting success in the NFL. He's nothing more than a draft dinosaur that's a household name due to the fact that he had a 20 year head start on being a "draft expert."

So yeah, credit the guy for finding a niche, or being ahead of the draft craze curve. But that's about it, there are now literally hundreds of better draft experts and analysts out there. But I'm sure ESPN will continue to drag his old ass out there every year to argue with anyone within earshot of his pompous ass.

Jac

Reaction score
Basis4day":2lkwbj7w said:
Peter King has mentioned in a few interviews that he knew of a Team that was guaranteed to draft Wilson had the Seahawks not taken him. He was sworn to secrecy as far as which team it was. Based on Draft order i assumed it was the Eagles to backup Vick.

Per Schefter:

The Philadelphia Eagles intended to draft Wilson 13 slots after Seattle's pick, at No. 88 overall, to back up Michael Vick but wound up drafting Arizona quarterback Nick Foles instead. The Indianapolis Colts planned to pick Wilson with the 92nd overall selection in the third round to back up Luck before taking Florida International wide receiver T.Y. Hilton. And even the Washington Redskins would have grabbed Wilson with the 102nd overall pick in the fourth round to back up Griffin, but when he was gone, they picked Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Awesome.

Can you imagine Indianapolis or Washington having Wilson as a backup? That'd been an embarrassment of riches.

Zowert

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":272vhlxk said:
I put Kiper in the Chris Berman category...............old, tired and hacky to his core.

I wish I would have saved the website that tracked Kiper's draft predictions, but he's running on a bout an 18% success rate with predicting success in the NFL. He's nothing more than a draft dinosaur that's a household name due to the fact that he had a 20 year head start on being a "draft expert."

So yeah, credit the guy for finding a niche, or being ahead of the draft craze curve. But that's about it, there are now literally hundreds of better draft experts and analysts out there. But I'm sure ESPN will continue to drag his old ass out there every year to argue with anyone within earshot of his pompous ass.

18% hahahaha! I really wonder how he still has a job. The man is on a strict diet of crow and more crow. I can't even remember the last draft steal he predicted. He is good at calling number one and two picks, but he can't spot talent in the late rounds. Like someone who is in his position should be able to do.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Thanks Largent, funny that it took until Week 12, but even this guy has to give props. To be honest, I'm actually surprised he would ever admit he's wrong. Watching him get mad every time a team picks someone else, and then talking about how "horrible" the pick was gets pretty old. I love how Gruden tore him a new one after the draft, good stuff.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37wm4bl0 said:
SoulfishHawk":37wm4bl0 said:
You mad Mel Kiper?

Interesting comments by Mel there

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Russell Wilson=Savior. How ironic and cool considering his own personal faith. I really love that kid.

chris98251

Reaction score
You guys say Mel Kiper and Chris Berman are old and tired, yet how old is our coach. I think a perspective is needed, just because they are not of a specific generation does not mean they are without knowledge. Pete's schemes have been baffleing the experts since he and John have arrived.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Zowert":32u67pum said:
I can't stand Mel Kipper. He was wrong about RW and Aaron Curry. I remember Kipper saying Curry was going to be one of the best linebackers in the NFL. For now on, whatever Kipper says, teams should do the opposite. How did that man get his job anyway? He was one of the biggest JaMarcus Russell nut-swingers around too, but I don't fault him for that since everyone was praising that bust.
In fairness, everyone was praising Aaron Curry too.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3trpe55x said:
Berman and Kiper don't know 1/1000 of what Pete Carroll knows about football.

I was referring to the people that use age as a barometer for intelligence. In my view that shows a lack of respect and understanding about a lot of issues.

People said the same thing about Madden as well, but of all those that I have read saying it I am still looking for someone that was a head coach in the NFL and won a Superbowl.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":104995q0 said:
You guys say Mel Kiper and Chris Berman are old and tired, yet how old is our coach. I think a perspective is needed, just because they are not of a specific generation does not mean they are without knowledge. Pete's schemes have been baffleing the experts since he and John have arrived.

Did you just compare a coach to two TV personalities? I think you did.

Pete Carroll has been a respected coach at the top of his game for 30+ years. Chris Berman yells back, back, back, wears a Swami hat and rhymes player names with songs.......he's the Carrot Top of the sportworld.

btw, most people who have worked with him say he's a total ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLG_LtWhj4

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2z92nd1i said:

And most of them are on this board!