PFT: Sherman has two arguments for his PED appeal

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • First, and as initially reported by Mike Garafolo of USA Today, Sherman claims that he drank from the water bottle of a teammate that had been spiked with Adderall. The teammate has both a prescription and a therapeutic use exemption, allowing the teammate to ingest Adderall, which contains amphetamines.

    Sherman has denied that account in text messages sent to Curtis Crabtree of KJR, who works part-time for PFT. However, we’ve confirmed Garafolo’s account.

    Second, Sherman believes there were flaws in the method of obtaining his urine for testing.

    It’s unknown whether both arguments will actually be advanced at the hearing. Given that the two contentions are somewhat inconsistent (i.e., “I accidentally ingested it” and “the testing methodology generated a false positive”), Sherman would be wise to pick a horse.

    The problem is that both horses likely will lose. As to the water-bottle excuse, it won’t matter. Players are responsible for anything that is in their systems. As to the attack on the collection process, the problem is that the procedures for pursuing appeals allow the NFL to refuse to provide most of the evidence that would help the player establish irregularities.

    As the source explained, these cases are lost not in the hearing room; they were lost at the negotiating table. Unless and until the league and the union agree to testing procedures that require the NFL to prove with a high degree of certainty the accuracy of the collection and testing of a sample that, if positive, will result in a suspension, players will be at risk of being wrongly suspended.


    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ed-appeal/





    :pukeface: :pukeface: Don't see this suspension getting over turned at all.
    User avatar
    VancitySeahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 966
    Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:06 pm


  • Sherman give it up today man.. need you more for the Wild Card than the last 4 games.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 5432
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • It should have never been in his system to begin with so his argument is moot

    Drop the appeal and serve your suspension
    User avatar
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 375
    Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:40 am
    Location: Tacoma, WA


  • Seriously, just start it now. Get it over with sherm
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2548
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


  • Hoping there's some grand master plan behind all of this or something, 'cause those are pretty bad.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1816
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • Dumb dumb dumbness
    'The bevell is in the details.' -BFS
    jamsomatic
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 445
    Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:03 pm
    Location: Mindianapolis, Idaho


  • I have a serious question. Why is Adderal considered a PED? Why is it even tested for? Why does it matter to anyone if the player takes adderal?
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3429
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


  • He can come up with the lamest excuses all day long if he can ride it out until next season, in my opinion...
    User avatar
    salukihawk12
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 199
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:27 am
    Location: Lexington, KY


  • Cartire wrote:I have a serious question. Why is Adderal considered a PED? Why is it even tested for? Why does it matter to anyone if the player takes adderal?


    It enhances focus and concentration. It may also allow for higher athletic output for short periods of time.

    (It's also addictive and has bad side effects, like all amphetamines, so dangerous to the player.)
    User avatar
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 907
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:12 pm


  • Sherman has every right to do as he pleases. The NFL has laid out a culture of zero loyalty w/non-guarenteed contracts. His commitment is to himself. This could effect a mans future earnings and marketability.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 11478
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • The testing protocol thing is in my opinion a very serious issue. I think if he pushes that hard, he might actually get somewhere, in that the league certainly has the responsibility to the players to use best practices when dealing with tests, b samples and the like. I could see the players union interceding on his behalf if he believes his initial positive was in error and his b sample was mis handled or lost.
    User avatar
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 907
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:12 pm


  • Hasselbeck wrote:Sherman give it up today man.. need you more for the Wild Card than the last 4 games.

    What makes you think we make the playoffs with out either of these guys for the rest of the season?

    It would be nice to have both of them back for the playoffs, but need to get there first. Staggering the suspension gives us the best chance of getting to the dance first
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 290
    Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 10:45 am
    Location: Tri-Cities, WA


  • Just one more way for the NFL to make sure only the money teams advance in the playoffs. The refs work to advance the money teams. The NFL picks on the Seahawks during training camp to make an example of the no contact rules. Now this. Of all the players in the NFL they could choose to go after, they choose our two pro bowlers to gut us right before the playoffs. And they don't even have to prove what they say is true.

    What crap.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4873
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


  • BocciHawk wrote:
    Cartire wrote:I have a serious question. Why is Adderal considered a PED? Why is it even tested for? Why does it matter to anyone if the player takes adderal?


    It enhances focus and concentration. It may also allow for higher athletic output for short periods of time.

    (It's also addictive and has bad side effects, like all amphetamines, so dangerous to the player.)


    So then what your saying is it gives you an unfair advantage on the field. So wouldnt players with prescriptions be given an unfair advantage? And being that these organizations can procure plenty of medical staff to prescribe medications, why wouldnt teams just give prescriptions to every player that wanted it?
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3429
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


  • SalishHawkFan wrote:Just one more way for the NFL to make sure only the money teams advance in the playoffs. The refs work to advance the money teams. The NFL picks on the Seahawks during training camp to make an example of the no contact rules. Now this. Of all the players in the NFL they could choose to go after, they choose our two pro bowlers to gut us right before the playoffs. And they don't even have to prove what they say is true.

    What crap.

    I don't buy this. There are more players being accused of violating the drug policy than just BB and Sherm, and some are on "money teams". Here's the list so far:

    Andre Brown - Giants RB (suspension overturned)
    Brandon Browner - Seahawks CB
    Jermaine Cunningham - Patriots DE
    Joe Haden - Browns CB
    Joe Hawley - Falcons C
    Will Hill - Giants S
    Tyler Sash - Giants S
    Richard Sherman - Seahawks CB
    Aqib Talib - Patriots CB
    Eric Wright - Bucanneers CB
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1816
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • razgriz737 wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:Just one more way for the NFL to make sure only the money teams advance in the playoffs. The refs work to advance the money teams. The NFL picks on the Seahawks during training camp to make an example of the no contact rules. Now this. Of all the players in the NFL they could choose to go after, they choose our two pro bowlers to gut us right before the playoffs. And they don't even have to prove what they say is true.

    What crap.

    I don't buy this. There are more players being accused of violating the drug policy than just BB and Sherm, and some are on "money teams". Here's the list so far:

    Andre Brown - Giants RB (suspension overturned)
    Brandon Browner - Seahawks CB
    Jermaine Cunningham - Patriots DE
    Joe Haden - Browns CB
    Joe Hawley - Falcons C
    Will Hill - Giants S
    Tyler Sash - Giants S
    Richard Sherman - Seahawks CB
    Aqib Talib - Patriots CB
    Eric Wright - Bucanneers CB


    Well, technically, only probowl caliber players are on low market teams. The other guys are replaceable and dont really hurt their team.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3429
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


  • Cartire wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:Just one more way for the NFL to make sure only the money teams advance in the playoffs. The refs work to advance the money teams. The NFL picks on the Seahawks during training camp to make an example of the no contact rules. Now this. Of all the players in the NFL they could choose to go after, they choose our two pro bowlers to gut us right before the playoffs. And they don't even have to prove what they say is true.

    What crap.

    I don't buy this. There are more players being accused of violating the drug policy than just BB and Sherm, and some are on "money teams". Here's the list so far:

    Andre Brown - Giants RB (suspension overturned)
    Brandon Browner - Seahawks CB
    Jermaine Cunningham - Patriots DE
    Joe Haden - Browns CB
    Joe Hawley - Falcons C
    Will Hill - Giants S
    Tyler Sash - Giants S
    Richard Sherman - Seahawks CB
    Aqib Talib - Patriots CB
    Eric Wright - Bucanneers CB


    Well, technically, only probowl caliber players are on low market teams. The other guys are replaceable and dont really hurt their team.

    Fair enough. Admittedly, I don't follow any other teams closely enough to know whether any of those guys make a difference.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1816
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • razgriz737 wrote:I don't buy this. There are more players being accused of violating the drug policy than just BB and Sherm, and some are on "money teams". Here's the list so far:

    Andre Brown - Giants RB (suspension overturned)
    Brandon Browner - Seahawks CB
    Jermaine Cunningham - Patriots DE
    Joe Haden - Browns CB
    Joe Hawley - Falcons C
    Will Hill - Giants S
    Tyler Sash - Giants S
    Richard Sherman - Seahawks CB
    Aqib Talib - Patriots CB
    Eric Wright - Bucanneers CB


    Notice how many are DBs...
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11934
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • HawkFan72 wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:I don't buy this. There are more players being accused of violating the drug policy than just BB and Sherm, and some are on "money teams". Here's the list so far:

    Andre Brown - Giants RB (suspension overturned)
    Brandon Browner - Seahawks CB
    Jermaine Cunningham - Patriots DE
    Joe Haden - Browns CB
    Joe Hawley - Falcons C
    Will Hill - Giants S
    Tyler Sash - Giants S
    Richard Sherman - Seahawks CB
    Aqib Talib - Patriots CB
    Eric Wright - Bucanneers CB


    Notice how many are DBs...

    That is odd.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1816
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • Cartire wrote:
    BocciHawk wrote:
    Cartire wrote:I have a serious question. Why is Adderal considered a PED? Why is it even tested for? Why does it matter to anyone if the player takes adderal?


    It enhances focus and concentration. It may also allow for higher athletic output for short periods of time.

    (It's also addictive and has bad side effects, like all amphetamines, so dangerous to the player.)


    So then what your saying is it gives you an unfair advantage on the field. So wouldnt players with prescriptions be given an unfair advantage? And being that these organizations can procure plenty of medical staff to prescribe medications, why wouldnt teams just give prescriptions to every player that wanted it?


    Prescriptions are irrelevant. You can't take it even with a prescription without first applying with the NFL for an exemption which takes into account medical history and whatnot. It's a rigorous process and very few get the exemptions.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2434
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


  • The above list omits the name of S- Winston Guy, Seahawks who was also suspended for adderall.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken. The OLine still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1963
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • Sherman needs to pick one of those lame excuses, and stick with it......cause the two excuses combined don't work. You can't say I drank out of a teammates drink, then at the same time say the testing system is flawed.

    Either way, neither excuse will hold any water I don't think. Unless Sherman and his agent provide evidence that indeed the testing system is flawed.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3819
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • jammerhawk wrote:The above list omits the name of S- Winston Guy, Seahawks who was also suspended for adderall.

    I THINK it's because he was suspended by the team and not the league, but I'm not sure.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1816
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • razgriz737 wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:The above list omits the name of S- Winston Guy, Seahawks who was also suspended for adderall.

    I THINK it's because he was suspended by the team and not the league, but I'm not sure.


    Why would the team suspend him? Also, Moffit and Barbre were suspended. Seattle has 5 players suspended for PED in just over a year, if that isn't the league high I would be surprised.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • HawksFTW wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:The above list omits the name of S- Winston Guy, Seahawks who was also suspended for adderall.

    I THINK it's because he was suspended by the team and not the league, but I'm not sure.


    Why would the team suspend him? Also, Moffit and Barbre were suspended. Seattle has 5 players suspended for PED in just over a year, if that isn't the league high I would be surprised.

    I don't know, that's just what I thought I read somewhere. That's why I said I'm not sure.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1816
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • Cartire wrote:I have a serious question. Why is Adderal considered a PED? Why is it even tested for? Why does it matter to anyone if the player takes adderal?


    ah, cuz it's a stimulant?


    i find it funny how all these cornerbacks are testing positive for adderall
    User avatar
    OneLofaTatupu
    * NET Shrink *
     
    Posts: 1573
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:04 pm
    Location: Seattle, WA


  • With Sherman's personality, I was hopeful he had been on the stuff for years, and that would be the basis for his (winning) appeal. Now? Pretty clear he's going down. Drinking from another player's water bottle? C'mon bro. Grade schoolers fabricate better excuses. I agree with the previous posters requesting he start his suspension immediately. One poster chimed in that we may not make the POs without he and Browner, but it really don't matter one way or the other. I'll take our chances of winning our home games without them. Even should we lose in Toronto, we still may make the POs and they will then be available (a scenario where we will most likely be on the road and their presense will be crucial).
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6275
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • If he can get Russell Wilson to represent him, maybe he wins. Russell will wave his hand and all this will go away. I'm a believer...
    User avatar
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 814
    Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 pm
    Location: Canby, OR


  • razgriz737 wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:I don't buy this. There are more players being accused of violating the drug policy than just BB and Sherm, and some are on "money teams". Here's the list so far:

    Andre Brown - Giants RB (suspension overturned)
    Brandon Browner - Seahawks CB
    Jermaine Cunningham - Patriots DE
    Joe Haden - Browns CB
    Joe Hawley - Falcons C
    Will Hill - Giants S
    Tyler Sash - Giants S
    Richard Sherman - Seahawks CB
    Aqib Talib - Patriots CB
    Eric Wright - Bucanneers CB


    Notice how many are DBs...

    That is odd.

    Maybe because the drug is mainly used to help keep focus? Or at least that's what I hear. Who would benefit from it most in that respect?
    Image
    User avatar
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1961
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:51 pm


  • This is all gamesmanship, folks... the Seahawks are simply trying to avoid playing four games without both Sherman and Browner. Browner is serving his suspension now in order to be back for the first game of the playoffs. Sherman made a B.S. appeal that he knows will get rejected just to buy some time, play in a few games now, and come back if we go deep in the playoffs. The problem is that it's looking like both Sherman and Browner will be missing for the home game against SF. They'd be missing that game anyway if they had both took their 4-game suspensions immediately or this week, but both (instead of just Browner) would be back for the playoffs. Why didn't they just do that?

    Anybody else thinking the same thing?
    :49ersmall:
    User avatar
    Sentrix
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 242
    Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:06 am


  • Why are people still talking about the "water bottle" thing that was debunked? It aggravates me when people refuse to actually read something before commenting.
    User avatar
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 605
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:48 am


  • Navyhawkfan187 wrote:Why are people still talking about the "water bottle" thing that was debunked? It aggravates me when people refuse to actually read something before commenting.

    I believe it was debunked and then re-confirmed.
    User avatar
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 3592
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm
    Location: St. Louis, MO




It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information