WEEK 14 GAMES THAT MATTER (playoff team standings)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • This is my favorite time of the year. This is the time of the year when the outcomes of other games have much more meaning to us. You actually can root for one side during games regardless if you like the teams or not.
    Here I present my Week 14 Games That Matter *Note that these will only cover games that can impact the seahawks.

FALCONS (11-1) vs PANTHERS (3-9)

Lets go: Panthers
    Why: Unless Atlanta loses out, we wont be jumping above them in the seeding and 1st seed will pretty much be a lock for them. However, its pretty obvious that we want them to lose out.

EAGLES (3-9) vs BUCCANEERS (6-6)

Lets go: Eagles
    Why: At this point the Eagles are out of contention and Tampa is right on our heals. We currently hold the NFC conference tie-breaker over Tampa, but we dont want that to even be a factor. Heres hoping Andy is trying to salvage his career and get a win here.

RAMS (5-6-1) vs BILLS (5-7)

Lets go: Bills
    Why: Rams are currently 4-0-1 in the division. I know, doesnt make any sense. Regardless, the Rams winning out could be a knife in Seattle's back if Seattle lose 1 of its next 3. Really, Really, Really need Rams to lose.

COWBOYS (6-6) vs BENGALS (7-5)

Lets go: Bengals
    Why: Another obvious NFC vs AFC matchup. We want the NFC to lose more at this point. Common sense. But lets not forget that the Cowboys are still in the running for a wild-card spot. A loss here would almost seal their fate. And also, screw the cowboys.

RAVENS (9-3) vs REDSKINS (6-6)

Lets go: Ravens
    Why: Washington is 1 game behind us and also currently holds a better conference record than us. If they were 7-5 today, they would be 6th seed, not us. Swallow that one for a bit. Ravens are coming off a sore loss, so here's to hoping they come out fighting.

DOLPHINS (5-7) vs 49ers (8-3-1)

Lets go: Do I even need too...

BEARS (8-4) vs VIKINGS (6-6)

Lets go: Vikings
    Why: This is actually one of the harder games to pick a side because win or lose for either effects us. If the vikings win, they stay in trailing distance of us, if the Bears win, they stay at least 1 game ahead of us. But because of the tie-breakers we hold over the vikings, we could technically let them catch us. If the bears lose and we win, we instantly go above them due to the tie breaker. Bears losing gives us a better chance at a higher seed. Lets go Vikings.

SAINTS (5-7) vs GIANTS (7-5)

Lets go: Saints?
    Why: This one gets tricky. The current assumption is that NY is the division winner. NY currently has no head 2 head with us but does hold a better conference record then us. Assuming they keep the division, then them losing or winning is irrelevant at this point unless we take our division too (which is where seeding will effect us), but if Washington somehow takes the division from them, we could be battling for the wild-card spot with them. The saints however have a worse conference record then us even if they beat NY. The Saints getting to the playoffs is far more difficult even if they do win this one.

LIONS (4-8) vs PACKERS (8-4)

Lets go: LIONS
    Why: At this point, Detroit poses no threat to us. Them getting in means we lost all but 1 and a bunch of other teams tanked as well. Obviously though, a loss by GB means we now jump ahead of them in the Ranking (assuming we win). If we take the division and they hold on to theirs, we gain homefield advantage over them. If CHI reclaims the north, then that win against GB will really shine.

Feel free to discuss and disagree, I see two game where people could make arguments for either side.
    Last edited by Cartire on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Re: WEEK 14 GAMES THAT MATTER
Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:52 pm
  • Nice breakdown! Of these the one I would like the most to play out is the Phins over the 9rs. I would love for the 23 Dec home game against them to be to take control of the Division. Other then that a Packers loss would be great to!
    Beast Mode 05 Sep 12 - "And then with our defense playing the way that they've been playing, we don't even need an offense."
    dbsn2420
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:00 pm
  • dbsn2420 wrote:Nice breakdown! Of these the one I would like the most to play out is the Phins over the 9rs. I would love for the 23 Dec home game against them to be to take control of the Division. Other then that a Packers loss would be great to!

Working off the fact that we need to win to deserve the playoffs, and not worrying about teams that are behind us, I want to see the Bears, Packers and Niners all lose.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:02 pm
  • Kid, I think we proved that "deserve" has nothing to do with the play-offs when we got in at 7-9 and beat the defending Super Bowl champs. If you're in, you're in. Karma has nothing to do with it.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:06 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Kid, I think we proved that "deserve" has nothing to do with the play-offs when we got in at 7-9 and beat the defending Super Bowl champs. If you're in, you're in. Karma has nothing to do with it.

Sorry, I didn't mean it quite that way. I just meant that IMO, since we can win and secure our own destiny, that I'm not worried about teams that are behind us.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:12 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Kid, I think we proved that "deserve" has nothing to do with the play-offs when we got in at 7-9 and beat the defending Super Bowl champs. If you're in, you're in. Karma has nothing to do with it.

Sorry, I didn't mean it quite that way. I just meant that IMO, since we can win and secure our own destiny, that I'm not worried about teams that are behind us.

i agree, but this also covers potential seeding.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:17 pm
  • Cartire wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Kid, I think we proved that "deserve" has nothing to do with the play-offs when we got in at 7-9 and beat the defending Super Bowl champs. If you're in, you're in. Karma has nothing to do with it.

i agree, but this also covers potential seeding.

Not knocking your post one bit. Great post actually, I am just saying how my thought processes are working as we move closer towards the end of the season.

In my head, we need to continue to win first and foremost. If we do that, then we only need to worry about teams ahead of us, because if we don't lose, we don't worry about the teams behind us.

The potential is there for us to lose a game, even possibly two, but I'm on a "Seahawk High" right now and refuse to consider that :)
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:51 pm
  • Good breakdown.The Ravens could hold out future in there hands if we dont win out.They play the Giants and the Skins who both would win tiebreakers over us if we all end up 10-6.The Skins just need to lose period.If they win out either the Giants or Bears need to lose 2.I think.Its gonna get crazy down the stretch
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 pm
  • Thanks to cartire for getting this information to us about the games this weekend that affect our playoff chances.

:th2thumbs:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:50 pm
  • This is my favorite time of year as well, thanks for this post!
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Wanted to move this back to the top. Lots of good info here playoff wise.

:les:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• I want the Bears to eliminate the Vikings and keep the Bears/Packers race on full tilt. Frankly neither the Bears not Vikings trouble me. They will both lose multiple games for remainder of season. Chicago is crippled with Urlacher and Jennings sustaining injuries vs. us. Plus I would rather see Chicago take that division than Green Bay although I don't believe they will.
    'The bevell is in the details.' -BFS
    jamsomatic
    NET Starter

• jamsomatic wrote:I want the Bears to eliminate the Vikings and keep the Bears/Packers race on full tilt. Frankly neither the Bears not Vikings trouble me. They will both lose multiple games for remainder of season. Chicago is crippled with Urlacher and Jennings sustaining injuries vs. us. Plus I would rather see Chicago take that division than Green Bay although I don't believe they will.

This was my biggest question as well. CHI taking the division back is the most optimal solution. But looking at GB's schedule, they have to lose the bears to give it up. I just dont think CHI can beat GB. GB always smothers them and I dont see things changing here. So I went with the next optimal which is, if we dont get the division, having a tie-breaker over chi puts us at chance at the 5th seed playing against the 3rd seed Packers. We can claim a another victory over everyone who said we cant beat the Packers on their turf.

*note, that the assumption of GB being 3rd string is that SF didnt lose more the one game because they remained Division champs over us.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• This is getting fun!!! Look what Mike Carey was trying to take away from us...
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• This info (along with f. football to a degree) makes watching non-seahawks games a lot more fun. Football is entertaining on its own, but having a dog in the fight is the edge-of-the-seat factor.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:05 pm
  • The Radish wrote:Thanks to cartire for getting this information to us about the games this weekend that affect our playoff chances.

:th2thumbs:

I second that. Thanks cartire.
    Keyhawk
    NET Rookie

• Can we get this thread stickied?
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• taz291819 wrote:Can we get this thread stickied?

Agreed. That would be awesome.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Cartire wrote:
    jamsomatic wrote:I want the Bears to eliminate the Vikings and keep the Bears/Packers race on full tilt. Frankly neither the Bears not Vikings trouble me. They will both lose multiple games for remainder of season. Chicago is crippled with Urlacher and Jennings sustaining injuries vs. us. Plus I would rather see Chicago take that division than Green Bay although I don't believe they will.

This was my biggest question as well. CHI taking the division back is the most optimal solution. But looking at GB's schedule, they have to lose the bears to give it up. I just dont think CHI can beat GB. GB always smothers them and I dont see things changing here. So I went with the next optimal which is, if we dont get the division, having a tie-breaker over chi puts us at chance at the 5th seed playing against the 3rd seed Packers. We can claim a another victory over everyone who said we cant beat the Packers on their turf.

*note, that the assumption of GB being 3rd string is that SF didnt lose more the one game because they remained Division champs over us.

I am still on Bears, here. I'm with you on Saints over Giants, too.
    'The bevell is in the details.' -BFS
    jamsomatic
    NET Starter

• Cartire wrote:
    jamsomatic wrote:I want the Bears to eliminate the Vikings and keep the Bears/Packers race on full tilt. Frankly neither the Bears not Vikings trouble me. They will both lose multiple games for remainder of season. Chicago is crippled with Urlacher and Jennings sustaining injuries vs. us. Plus I would rather see Chicago take that division than Green Bay although I don't believe they will.

Packers/Seahawks would be a TV epic. Not just what both fan bases want but probably what all of NFL fans would want.
    Rodgers
    NET Practice Squad

• Tell ya what, I'll sticky this.

:shock:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• 'hawks just need to keep winning...the hell with the rest...
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

• jack_patera wrote:'hawks just need to keep winning...the hell with the rest...

Of course this is priority #1...but it is exciting to have a vested interest in other games, which adds intrigue to our season :)
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

• samwize77 wrote:
    jack_patera wrote:'hawks just need to keep winning...the hell with the rest...

Of course this is priority #1...but it is exciting to have a vested interest in other games, which adds intrigue to our season :)

Yeah, makes the other games more fun to watch.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• So this is what happens after PM's they make GREAT posts :)
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Cartire wrote:

5th seed plays at 4th seed

6th seed plays at 3rd seed

(just correcting what you typed above)

I personally would prefer to not play the Packers in the first round, if at all possible. I think we win in Chicago, I think we win in Atlanta, have a great chance in NY against the Giants, obviously we win at home. The best scenarios for us involve taking the #2 seed away from SF by winning the division outright, getting a first round bye, and playing at home. If we have to be a wild card team, IMHO, we want the Bears to take the North from the Packers, so if we travel, we're not going to Lambeau.

Just MHO.
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

• BocciHawk wrote:
    Cartire wrote:

5th seed plays at 4th seed

6th seed plays at 3rd seed

(just correcting what you typed above)

I personally would prefer to not play the Packers in the first round, if at all possible. I think we win in Chicago, I think we win in Atlanta, have a great chance in NY against the Giants, obviously we win at home. The best scenarios for us involve taking the #2 seed away from SF by winning the division outright, getting a first round bye, and playing at home. If we have to be a wild card team, IMHO, we want the Bears to take the North from the Packers, so if we travel, we're not going to Lambeau.

Just MHO.

Yea, I was pretty drunk last night while writing that, and I reread it this morning and was too lazy to change it. But truth is still there, I would rather gain a higher seed then try and worry about MN catching us.
    Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• Cartire wrote:RAMS (5-6-1) vs BILLS (5-7)

Why: Rams are currently 4-0-1 in the division. I know, doesnt make any sense. Regardless, the Rams winning out could be a knife in Seattle's back if Seattle lose 1 of its next 3. Really, Really, Really need Rams to lose.

Agree with you here on all but the above game. Go Rams this week. Why? Because if the Rams in any way affect our playoff push, it will be because we lost to them again at home, not because they beat the Bills. At this point, I'd like to see them score a few more wins and just miss out on the playoffs. No way I want them picking high in the draft with the amount of draft ammo they already have. We want them drafting very low for the next few years. Several seasons of 8-8 or 7-9 would be in our best interests.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Cartire wrote:RAMS (5-6-1) vs BILLS (5-7)

Agree with you here on all but the above game. Go Rams this week. Why? Because if the Rams in any way affect our playoff push, it will be because we lost to them again at home, not because they beat the Bills. At this point, I'd like to see them score a few more wins and just miss out on the playoffs. No way I want them picking high in the draft with the amount of draft ammo they already have. We want them drafting very low for the next few years. Several seasons of 8-8 or 7-9 would be in our best interests.

Ditto. It would also be helpful to have the Bills completely out of the playoff picture and thoroughly demoralized for our game with them next week.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• I think we actually want Miami to win....if that were the case and we win out we are NFC West Champs. ( I think, it's too early and I have not had my coffee )
    hawksmode
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Well we have made a lot of bad blood this year, I prefer to play any of the teams we already played at home. Chicago is depleted but dangerous, we know about Green Bay. We also know the playoffs are a whole different type of game and level of play. Something our YOUNG team has to learn about and I would rather they learn it at home without as much chance of referee favortism for the home team on the road.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Nice breakdown Cartire. Thank you. I'm rooting hard for the Ravens today because the Skins have a pretty soft schedule after this one and could win out. As much cushion as the Hawks can get with any of the teams behind them, the better. In that same vein, go Eagles as well.

And I'm with Pliny and Sailor above on Rams over Bills for the same reasons they said, especially to get Buffalo out of any playoff contention by next week. Also, time for Dullass to lay their late season egg for sure. Don't see the Phins taking SF but still have plenty of hope with the Pats beating them next week.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Love this thread OP. Sitting on my couch with the remote and this thread open. Going to make switching channels with Sunday Ticket all the more fun. I feel vested in almost every game. Will definitely make the AM games more enjoyable. Well done!

Go Hawks
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• Another thing.

I know this game doesn't matter but I would live to see the colts get ass whipped and have Luck throw three picks. It matters to me.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• Wow...so far these games are unfolding pretty much exactly as hoped.
    schkoot
    NET Practice Squad

• Except for the comebacks! Vikings were the only team to win. Damn cowboys and redskins , so close to losing. Bucs win as well. We need to take care of business.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• Bucs lost
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

• If the rams can beat the bills we can beat them. The Bills season is pretty much over now with 8 losses if we get up early they might lay down like the Cards did.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information