Edwards TD - Pereira - Carey

ensett

Reaction score
Paschtorian":1jyhe8iz said:
We WON this game,...........right???

I mean,.....

....bad calls (or not) that we ALWAYS seem to attain are NO surprise.

So,.........

....chill.

We won.

who won doesn't even matter, that isn't a reason to lower your standards. Demand quality.

Wiseguy

Reaction score
taz291819":3tx96w6p said:
FWIW, the officials get the same camera angles that is supplied by the broadcaster, which is what we see also. They don't get some special camera angle feed.

Or do they? :34853_tinfoil: :34853_tinfoil:

samwize77

Reaction score
The call that interests me is the Bears TD call here I believe Kam flipped the guy in the air and he(and the ball) landed on the 1/2 yard line. I NEVER SAW THE SAME CAMERA ANGLE after that. The angles they showed were never from the side like the game view. The replays were from the front or back and never showed the realtime view as I (we) saw. Or did I miss it?

Also....Marshawns fumble was absolute BS. Can they call forward motion stopped on review? It was completely obvious he was stopped when he was laid-out and THEN the ball came out.
Didn't mean to hijack the thread....just wanted to get my frustration out....I feel better now. :)

HawksFTW

Reaction score
samwize77":1wavyt11 said:
The call that interests me is the Bears TD call here I believe Kam flipped the guy in the air and he(and the ball) landed on the 1/2 yard line. I NEVER SAW THE SAME CAMERA ANGLE after that. The angles they showed were never from the side like the game view. The replays were from the front or back and never showed the realtime view as I (we) saw. Or did I miss it?

Also....Marshawns fumble was absolute BS. Can they call forward motion stopped on review? It was completely obvious he was stopped when he was laid-out and THEN the ball came out.
Didn't mean to hijack the thread....just wanted to get my frustration out....I feel better now. :)

I thought the first TD by Chicago was pretty damn close, but I understood them not turning it over. I was surprised when they didn't have the same leniency on the Braylon non-TD.

No, they cannot challenge forward progress (either for or against) in replays. Whatever they call on the field, is how it stands.

rideaducati

Reaction score
jamsomatic":c4ahhzds said:
Why would they even have Pereira on pontificating BEFORE a ruling is made. Seems odd and contradictory to the NFL's style.... Has he EVER gone against an official's ruling?? I haven't seen it. In fact he generally only opines after the fact IIRC.

I hate him.

He goes against every call that benefits the Seahawks.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Mike P. was hired by Larry Scott to improve PAC 12 officiating a few years ago.

That might explain why the PAC refs are so lousy...

canzag

Reaction score
sc85sis":z5mnrdkk said:
Mike P. was hired by Larry Scott to improve PAC 12 officiating a few years ago.

That might explain why the PAC refs are so lousy...

and why Hochuli kid works as a pac 12 ref?

Seaman

Reaction score
jamsomatic":3gfofy23 said:
Why would they even have Pereira on pontificating BEFORE a ruling is made. Seems odd and contradictory to the NFL's style.... Has he EVER gone against an official's ruling?? I haven't seen it. In fact he generally only opines after the fact IIRC.

I hate him.

His premature rulings also bother me. I agree with the OP that the ref's need help making calls and Pee-area (I know, childish) is the go to guy... I must need my tinfoil as well, but I really feel that his opinions could be wired in to the booth for those baffoons. Either way, even if he is just making rulings for the at home audience, he is an egotistical prick.

I dislike him an enormous amount.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Paschtorian":kxeqa499 said:
We WON this game,...........right???

I mean,.....

....bad calls (or not) that we ALWAYS seem to attain are NO surprise.

So,.........

....chill.

We won.

Bad calls should never be accepted at face value, and ESPECIALLY when Pieholereia is spewing his bullshit.
In spite of the Pro Football players that commented on the XL debacle (also explaining bad calls with dimwited crap)

We also won that game, so that's why I have a problem chilling out, because of corrupt Officiating, I reserve the right to suspect these guys for continueing to ignore proffessionalism with doing their jobs, and a phoney mouthpiece that continues to explain their mistakes away.
That Ref that threw up his hands indicating the TD,,,The review?,,Absolutely indisputible, and doesn't get overturned.
It would have been a TD for either of the Manning brothers, Tom Terrific Brady, Arron Rodgers, or even the much heralded Andrew Luck, but it's obvious that one size doesn't fit all

minormillikin

Reaction score
samwize77":1ddbbq63 said:

I've noticed A LOT this year, on close plays, that the camera angles they show for replays are suspiciously bad. (not just in Seahawks games, btw)

1. Many, many, "did the ball cross the plane" plays where the good angle, sometimes just the regular broadcast angle, just wasn't shown again after it occurred live.
2. Field Goals: There have been a few FGs this season that were questionably called good or not by refs where they had ZERO good angles shown on replays. On this... EXTEND THE EFFING UPRIGHTS ALREADY. Telescope the uprights when the net gets raised before field goals... too many unclear FGs as the kickers have been getting stronger legs. Doesn't anyone find it weird that there used to be a camera angle that looked straight up from the goal posts and now there isn't?
3. The Tate-Gate play... they only showed bad angles on that play. Hell, I don't even think it was a TD, but I know better angles existed (and came out later).

4. Kind of related: How is a slab of plastic (first down marker), and chains, better for measuring first downs than a computerized, perfectly straight yellow line? The "unofficial" yellow line should be official, already.

------

5: GRAND CONSPIRACY re: replacement refs

Remember during the whole Tate debacle, how it was occasionally mentioned how the "Replay Official" wasn't a replacement ref? If that's true, the Replay Officials, were probably pals and in support of the regular refs. There were a few game-altering calls in the first few weeks of the season, in various games, that I thought were called obviously wrong on the field. These were reviewed (by coaches or automatically), and upheld. My grand conspiracy here is that the replay officials were intentionally upholding bad calls by replacement refs, on game-deciding plays, in order to ignite a furor that would get the old refs back to work. One example would be a game-deciding field goal in a Patriots game. Another would be the Tate play. We deserved to win that game, in my opinion, but I think the last call was botched (one ref calling TD and one saying incomplete on the field... really?) and then upheld by a replay official who had the perfect opportunity to get those guys fired.

Greenhell

Reaction score
strohmin":1xvoh937 said:
I want to punch Perriera's fat face over and over again. I really really hate that guy. His name annoys me, his face irritates the crap out of me, his voice pisses me off and his opinions aggravate me even more. I hate every single thing about that guy.

^ this!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
This thread is surreal...For my own morbid curiosity... do fans of this team truly believe the NFL and the referees (whom they just ended a nasty work dispute with) are actively conspiring against the Seattle Seahawks? And that a broadcaster may have a secret microphone to his former cronies to help them screw over a team?

Can someone post a poll?

or is it that the NFL officials have a hard time keeping up with 22 really big, strong and fast men running around and crashing into each other. They absolutely need to be better. They more than likely error on the side of caution, and probably lean towards the team supported by 60,000 screaming people. They probably start assuming our DBs are committing penalties because they are brash and physical. Some of them, including Carey and Pierror probably have feelings against and for certain teams. Its impossible to ask them to ignore these things.

But I have a hard time believing they are out to get one team.... and that team is the Seattle Seahawks.

we've had some calls go our way this season, and not just the obvious Tate call. Its part of the NFL.

Whats truly disturbing is fans excessive anger towards making it "perfect".. and not just the refs, the players as well. Its not X-box... its entertainment, a game played at exceedingly high speeds by human beings.

If...IF they wanted to take the game from the Seahawks, wouldn't they have used a two headed coin or something... some sort of mirrors that refracted sunlight into RWs eyes on the final drive. Maybe a sniper?

I just dont see it.... and I will probably be proven wrong in a year or so when someone finds a secret manifest outlining the slow and steady destruction of the city of Seattle by demoralizing its sports fans over an extended period of time causing the city to attempt secession and thus put under marshal law... and just because it had to be some city so why not Seattle?

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
How many times does it need to be said? On the Tate play, one official called TD, the other was NOT signaling no TD, he was signaling time expired. THIS misconception is a lot of why people are failing to look beyond the bad angles shown on TV and the media. Again, one official said TD, the other said game over. End of story.

OP
OP
H

HawkHack

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3jehdpdh said:
This thread is surreal...For my own morbid curiosity... do fans of this team truly believe the NFL and the referees (whom they just ended a nasty work dispute with) are actively conspiring against the Seattle Seahawks? And that a broadcaster may have a secret microphone to his former cronies to help them screw over a team?

No, I don't believe that. My point was only that many calls in that game -- including the one I singled out -- really did seem surreal to me.

I've watched a lot of NFL games, and yeah, the home team sometimes seems to get the home cooking. The Seahawks do get it as well -- including a few times this year.

But some games (and not just Seahawk games) do end up having a surreal feeling to them -- where seemingly EVERY good play on O or D by one team is simply going to come back. Watching the game, you just know it. SB XL was one of those games, and this game was one of the few I've seen since then that had that same feeling for me.

I would point out that PC rarely says much about the officiating -- but in his post-game presser, he said, regarding the final Rice TD, "I was only nervous because every call went the other way today".

Finally, I used to think I hated the stupid FOX robot mascot. Now? Please, put in the robot mascot instead of Pereira.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I'm not about to join the tinfoil hat brigade. I don't even remotely think there's a chance that Mike Pierra is piped into the replay booth, but I DO think that the idea of having referees review their own calls is a bit silly. These guys are all ego; like Hochuli and his muscles or Mike Carey and his stupid mustache. Do you think they enjoy standing in front of a giant stadium and saying "HEY EVERYONE! I TOTALLY SCREWED UP THAT CALL BECAUSE I'M A FRICKEN MORON!"? It's like grading your own paper, they totally have a vested interest in the call.

I think A) they need to get some refs with smaller egos who don't want to make themselves the star of the show and B) start having a designated crew of replay officials who can overturn any call at any time. Like Big Brother or the Internal Affairs dept.

Seaman

Reaction score
CANHawk":2ru453v2 said:
I'm not about to join the tinfoil hat brigade. I don't even remotely think there's a chance that Mike Pierra is piped into the replay booth, but I DO think that the idea of having referees review their own calls is a bit silly. These guys are all ego; like Hochuli and his muscles or Mike Carey and his stupid mustache. Do you think they enjoy standing in front of a giant stadium and saying "HEY EVERYONE! I TOTALLY SCREWED UP THAT CALL BECAUSE I'M A FRICKEN MORON!"? It's like grading your own paper, they totally have a vested interest in the call.

I think A) they need to get some refs with smaller egos who don't want to make themselves the star of the show and B) start having a designated crew of replay officials who can overturn any call at any time. Like Big Brother or the Internal Affairs dept.

Great solutions, really! These guys' egos are the main reason why I liked the replacement guys... There should be no reason to know that "Mike Carey is the lead official today." or "The Great Ed Hochuli is the head referee today." Just be the referee and call the game. It's not about you!!!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CANHawk":1wadljod said:

Agree 100%. College replay is booth generated. I want to see the same in the NFL (with the caveat that these guys actually have good eyesight).

And I agree with Uncle Si on the home team thing. I think home teams get more close calls their way because the refs don't want to piss off 60,000+ people. It's probably even a subconcious thing.

One thing I do know though, the officiating in the NFL is and has been for a long time ABYSMAL and if Rozelle, Tags and now Rog REALLY wanted to do something about it, they would (have). The reason they haven't/don't is the reason things always don't get done by any large corporation....it might cost a few bucks. God forbid we'd cut our insane profit level by one tenth of one percent (or whatever the actual number would be.....it wouldn't be a large one, that much I do know).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkHack":3arxnqd1 said:
And again, Pereira always comes across as so damn certain about his opinions -- and that bothers me too. My life has taught me that certainty is rarely easy.

LOL.......Fox doesn't bring him in to be wishy washy.......they want him to give his definitive opinion on what the correct call should be.

Announcers: "Tough call, so let's bring in our rules official Mike Pereira........well Mike, what do you think?"

Pereira: "Well........hard to tell guys, not gonna commit one way or the other on this one, kinda looked like a TD, but then again it kinda didn't."

Announcers: "Thanks?"

The Radish

Reaction score
As I said elsewhere,,,the reason Pete doesn't say much about the officiating is because the league blasts coachs that do that with huge fines and nasty phone calls behind the scenes.

:141847_bnono:

Latest posts