Edwards TD - Pereira - Carey

HawkHack

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted (I know there's a Carey thread, and I read that -- I couldn't find anything about this specifically).

What I found really surreal about last Sunday's game was this:

1. RW throws to Edwards for a TD, as signaled by the official. The play was close -- no doubt -- and could easily have been called either way (and I wouldn't have a problem with it).
2. As with all scoring plays, the score is reviewed. (I don't recall if FOX went to a commercial or not.)
3. FOX gets good ol' Baghdad Mike on the line, and he mutters something about that it should be overturned, due to something about the nose of the football.
4. About 15 seconds later, Carey comes out and overturns the call, muttering something about the nose of the football.

What struck me as surreal was that the language used by Carey almost exactly mimicked the language used by Pereira. Maybe I'm misremembering. It's entirely possible. Anyone with a DVR may be able to contradict my version of events.

How does Pereira come off as so confident? Does he have access to all the angles the replay officials have? If so, how? Does he have some sort of dedicated internet feed provided by FOX? Given that Pereira is no longer an NFL employee, is that appropriate?

It almost seemed scripted. It almost seemed as though one of two things happened:

1. Carey's crew had no idea whether or not they should overturn the call, so FOX calls out to Baghdad Mike, and he makes the call. Carey simply follows the party line.

2. Carey's crew had no idea what the 'correct' call was -- so again, the call goes out to Baghdad Mike, who makes the 'correct' call, and again, Carey just follows the party line.

I know, I know, tinfoil. But that game was really surreal in so many ways, and that might have been the worst. At the end of the game (on Rice's TD), they once again brought in Baghdad Mike, and I was quaking in my boots, thinking that Pereira would offer up some nugget of (dis)information to be parroted by the officiating crew. Fortunately, it seemed as though that TD was too hard to overcome.

Someone with a DVR recording, please help me remove my tinfoil hat.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
But the nose of the football did touch the ground... so what was your point again?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":35loc807 said:
But the nose of the football did touch the ground... so what was your point again?

There is no way to tell whether Braylon's hands were under the ball or not. There is no indisputable evidence. It doesn't exist.

zhawk

Reaction score
there was not enough contrary evidence to overturn the call. but what else is new. :twisted:

hawksfan515

Reaction score
This is really reaching man. All Mike Periera did was see exactly what carey did, which is why the call was overturned. Relax. Not everyone is out to get the Seahawks.

OP
OP
H

HawkHack

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2wwr7nsk said:

OK, so I forgot to mention that possibility. The possibility that Pereira and Carey saw exactly the same thing. Something that wasn't made available to those of us watching on TV. Fair enough.

Still, it creeps me out every time FOX brings in Pereira. I just feel like there's something going on that I'm not privy to. And again, Pereira always comes across as so damn certain about his opinions -- and that bothers me too. My life has taught me that certainty is rarely easy. I guess you could say that's why FOX is paying him, but I would feel better if he would at least occasionally say "well, this is a tough call, and I can see it going either way" -- because in fact, that's the truth IMO.

sutz

Reaction score
They use similar language because they are officials. They describe the play in terms of the rules, so their explanations will sound similar.

Whether there was enough evidence to overturn what was called on the field is the problem. Opinions vary on that call. :)

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I don't really fault him for overturning it. To be perfectly honest when watching it live I WAS CONVINCED it 1-hopped into Edwards hands. When they signaled the TD I was happy but though, this can't really be a catch can it? But when they showed the replay incredibly he had his hands under the ball.

So then I think, ok it probably was a catch. The only real issue to me was that when the ball hit the ground it moved a bit. the ball can hit the ground but it must be possessed. Often when a ball moves as it hits the ground it's rules that the WR didn't have possession and it is incomplete. So on that I can see how it went that way.

But it was very close and I don't know if there was signifcant enough evidence to overturn so I thought the play would stand as called.

strohmin

Reaction score
I want to punch Perriera's fat face over and over again. I really really hate that guy. His name annoys me, his face irritates the crap out of me, his voice pisses me off and his opinions aggravate me even more. I hate every single thing about that guy.

The Radish

Reaction score
HawkHack":1k0x34n5 said:
therealjohncarlson":1k0x34n5 said:

OK, so I forgot to mention that possibility. The possibility that Pereira and Carey saw exactly the same thing. Something that wasn't made available to those of us watching on TV. Fair enough.

Still, it creeps me out every time FOX brings in Pereira. I just feel like there's something going on that I'm not privy to. And again, Pereira always comes across as so damn certain about his opinions -- and that bothers me too. My life has taught me that certainty is rarely easy. I guess you could say that's why FOX is paying him, but I would feel better if he would at least occasionally say "well, this is a tough call, and I can see it going either way" -- because in fact, that's the truth IMO.

You do know what Pereira used to do don't you?

That might explain how he is so certain sounding. Afterall it was him that said our SB penalty had "all the elements" of holding.

:141847_bnono:

jamsomatic

Reaction score
Why would they even have Pereira on pontificating BEFORE a ruling is made. Seems odd and contradictory to the NFL's style.... Has he EVER gone against an official's ruling?? I haven't seen it. In fact he generally only opines after the fact IIRC.

I hate him.

Will I

Reaction score
The Radish":149biezp said:

That might explain how he is so certain sounding. Afterall it was him that said our SB penalty had "all the elements" of holding.

I had to look it up so thought I'd share. Here is what Pereira used to do...

He was also a game official in the NFL for two seasons (1996 and 1997) as a side judge on the officiating crew headed by referee Mike Carey

razgriz737

Reaction score
Will I":oqdkjkel said:
The Radish":oqdkjkel said:

I had to look it up so thought I'd share. Here is what Pereira used to do...

He was also a game official in the NFL for two seasons (1996 and 1997) as a side judge on the officiating crew headed by referee Mike Carey
THE PLOT THICKENS :stirthepot:

Paschtorian

Reaction score
We WON this game,...........right???

I mean,.....

....bad calls (or not) that we ALWAYS seem to attain are NO surprise.

So,.........

....chill.

We won.

taz291819

Reaction score
FWIW, the officials get the same camera angles that is supplied by the broadcaster, which is what we see also. They don't get some special camera angle feed.

EDIT:

Just wanted to add. A few years ago, official replay booth finally upgraded to HD. Now, when they were watching a SD feed, that was an uncompressed SD feed, which is pretty close to what we see in HD at home. They now get to see uncompressed HD feeds, which is 10x better than what we see.

To put it in math terms: What we see at home, at best, is ~18Mbps. They get to see uncompressed, which is ~3Gbps. It really does make a difference.

Latest posts