Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:02 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 915
Location: Bellinghome
Great info man. That's quite the pattern over the past 7 games with all of the personal fouls called against us and almost zero called against opposition...

All speculative bias aside, if the man sucks officiating 7-8 out of 10 games he should not longer be one of the two senior refs of the league.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:06 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Posts: 5209
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
JGfromtheNW wrote:
Great info man. That's quite the pattern over the past 7 games with all of the personal fouls called against us and almost zero called against opposition...

All speculative bias aside, if the man sucks officiating 7-8 out of 10 games he should not longer be one of the two senior refs of the league.



Yeah kick him out or something. Or maybe it's his crew that sucks, somethings wrong there.

Oddly enough voted in 2008 as one of the best officials, tied with Ed Hochuli for first. I think that's back when he was a back judge though.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:07 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13470
Location: King In The North
hawksfan515 wrote:
JGfromtheNW wrote:
Great info man. That's quite the pattern over the past 7 games with all of the personal fouls called against us and almost zero called against opposition...

All speculative bias aside, if the man sucks officiating 7-8 out of 10 games he should not longer be one of the two senior refs of the league.



Yeah kick him out or something. Or maybe it's his crew that sucks, somethings wrong there.

Oddly enough voted in 2008 as one of the best officials, tied with Ed Hochuli for first. I think that's back when he was a back judge though.


Or before he started getting paid to be biased.

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:07 pm 
* NET X's & O's Guru *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
Posts: 8616
Location: PNW
hawksfan515 wrote:
sturg78 wrote:
You can prove Oxygen exists, the moon isn't made of cheese, and that you "love" your mom.



lol.

I just don't see enough evidence though. People claiming bias are over the top..... And people telling me to leave the thread, all I'm doing is voicing my opinion, as are the people going "That's not bad officiating, that's BIAS".


Telling someone that presents some info to "quit whining" isn't exactly simply voicing your opinion. The OP actually brought something to the table, and you have yet to provide anything more than shoving your opinion down others throat and then getting butthurt when they call you on it.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:11 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:04 pm
Posts: 807
Location: Behind you
hawksfan515 wrote:
hawkfan333 wrote:
hawksfan515 wrote:
Stop whining. We commit tons of penalties. I agreed with (mainly) all of them. All refs make bad calls, and we won the game. I'll take it.

if you agreed with nearly all those penalties then you no absolutely nothing about football


I'm tired of all you guys whining about refs. Everyone has problems with refs. Maybe if we lost it would be alright, but we pulled out the win, and this guy is trying to say Mike Carey is biased against us? yeah right... He just made a couple bad calls. happens.


Dude how many people need to say that they are not whining before it is known?

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:11 pm 
* NET Curmudgeon *
* NET Curmudgeon *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
Posts: 7223
Location: Eastern Washington
hawksfan515 wrote:
The OP was trying to claim bias, and I don't think carey's biased. Plain and simple. Maybe he just sucks, like some people think, (not gonna argue that point, don't think he's that good) but I don't think he's biased.

Maybe he is biased, and maybe he isn't -- but his officiating yesterday certainly was.

Your point about all refs making bad calls misses the point. We know refs make bad calls. Even in the Super Bowl, I doubt people would have had a problem with bad calls if they hadn't uniformly been against one team in particular. THAT was the problem yesterday. The Bears got the benefit of all close or questionable calls.

_________________
49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:12 pm 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 am
Posts: 755
Overturning the Braylon TD was the main thing that stood out to me. There was ZERO clear evidence to overturn that call. Absolutely ZERO!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:15 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13470
Location: King In The North
FargoHawk wrote:
Overturning the Braylon TD was the main thing that stood out to me. There was ZERO clear evidence to overturn that call. Absolutely ZERO!


Exactly. It was his opinion that the ball hit the ground first and that's exactly how that process is not supposed to work.

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:16 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Posts: 5209
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
AbsolutNET wrote:
hawksfan515 wrote:
sturg78 wrote:
You can prove Oxygen exists, the moon isn't made of cheese, and that you "love" your mom.



lol.

I just don't see enough evidence though. People claiming bias are over the top..... And people telling me to leave the thread, all I'm doing is voicing my opinion, as are the people going "That's not bad officiating, that's BIAS".


Telling someone that presents some info to "quit whining" isn't exactly simply voicing your opinion. The OP actually brought something to the table, and you have yet to provide anything more than shoving your opinion down others throat and then getting butthurt when they call you on it.


well the only point I was trying to make was that I didn't think there was enough evidence, my bad if I acted totally butthurt and whiny I guess :|

There was just a bit of stuff he missed. Personal fouls aren't the do all end all, we got those called on us for a good reason. We were a pretty stupid team earlier, extremely aggressive.

I guess there is a chance Carey could be biased. My opinion though, is that he's just a subpar ref who needs to be replaced, as he seems to badly referee other games that are not seahawk games.

And Kitsap, I guess I did say people where whining a bit too much, my bad there too. Only meant to say it once. People seem to have stopped mainly......


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:26 pm 
* NET Nobody *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
Posts: 7608
hawksfan515 wrote:
Stop whining. We commit tons of penalties. I agreed with (mainly) all of them. All refs make bad calls, and we won the game. I'll take it.


Dude, stop baiting people. Just because you are in a bad mood it doesn't mean you need to come on here and purposefully piss people off by calling them whiners. It's obvious he was doing no such thing but you couldn't wait to throw that out there and start pissing people off.

Absolutely unneccessary and creates a negative atmosphere on here. Are you counting how many responses you've elicited?

_________________
"God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:32 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 5088
Location: South End
SoCalSeahawk wrote:
Before yesterday, the Seahawks were 1-6 in the past seven games that Carey's crew had officiated. If Carey's crew had their way it would now be 1-7. This inludes the '08 - '12 reg seasons. That's one win in five years with this joker's crew...until yesterday.

The Bears game yesterday, enough said. Possibly the most one sided officiated regular season game I've ever watched. One personal foul against SEA.

His crew did the Rams game in week 4. Three personal fouls against SEA. I remember two ticky-tack personal fouls being called on Giacomini in that game. And it seems like another ticky-tack personal foul on Clemons after an interception.

2011, week 7 at Celveland (the Marshawn back spasm game). The "Game Winning" punt return for a touchdown by Leon Washington that was negated by a phantom block in the back call during the return. Two personal fouls called agianst SEA. The one when Kam sacked the QB on a picture perfect form tackle but was called for the phantom "blow to the head". Also in that game, Red Bryant was ejected.

2010, week 11 at New Orleans. Three personal fouls called aginst the Seahawks. A called INT that Seattle had to challenge to get reversed. On a key drive we stop NO on 3rd down...but the drive continues after a roughing the passer call. Saints go on to score a touchdown.

Finding data on the '09 and '08 games is tough, and I do actually have a life.

In the games mentioned above, not one single personal foul was called on Seattle's opponents.

Mike Carey and his wife own a company called Seirus Innovation. One of their biggest competitors is a company called K2 Sports. K2 Sports is based in Seattle. (Just sayin')

Most of my research was derived from CBS Sportsline and done with a beer in hand.


Very interesting and not surprising.

Good post bro.

_________________
"We ran into a buzz saw," - John Fox, Super Bowl XLVIII


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:39 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Posts: 5209
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
ivotuk wrote:
hawksfan515 wrote:
Stop whining. We commit tons of penalties. I agreed with (mainly) all of them. All refs make bad calls, and we won the game. I'll take it.


Dude, stop baiting people. Just because you are in a bad mood it doesn't mean you need to come on here and purposefully piss people off by calling them whiners. It's obvious he was doing no such thing but you couldn't wait to throw that out there and start pissing people off.

Absolutely unneccessary and creates a negative atmosphere on here. Are you counting how many responses you've elicited?


OK I basically admitted defeat above. Now that I think about it that post was pretty harsh, the guy did basically say he just rambled around and saw those stats.

So I'm done. You just accused me of trying to start up a fight, yet you post trying to start a fight again? C'mon... I might have been guilty at first, but now let's just call it good.

You guys win, congratulations. You good now?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:42 pm 
* NET News Scoop *
* NET News Scoop *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm
Posts: 8923
hawksfan515 wrote:
zhawk wrote:
its not that we don't make penalties, i'm just amazed how other teams never seem to make any! just sayin.


If you watch the games and come back with some real proof, I will believe you... Didn't mean for this to come off overly rude BTW.

I watched the New Orleans game and quite honestly we deserved all those personal fouls against us. The Raheem Brock roughing the passer call was just frustrating.

The Browns game, the Kam Chancellor sack penalty was odd. He placed his helmet on McCoy's back, which is not allowed. Blame the bogus rule, IMO. And the phantom block in the back looked very real in real time, as the announcers noted. Blame Kennard Cox for being a dumbass as Leon had already passed him.

Who gives a damn if you need real proof.... it was blatant poor officiating and was noticed by every other Seahawks fan. That you fail to acknowledge is irrelevant.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:49 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Posts: 5209
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
Jazzhawk wrote:
hawksfan515 wrote:
zhawk wrote:
its not that we don't make penalties, i'm just amazed how other teams never seem to make any! just sayin.


If you watch the games and come back with some real proof, I will believe you... Didn't mean for this to come off overly rude BTW.

I watched the New Orleans game and quite honestly we deserved all those personal fouls against us. The Raheem Brock roughing the passer call was just frustrating.

The Browns game, the Kam Chancellor sack penalty was odd. He placed his helmet on McCoy's back, which is not allowed. Blame the bogus rule, IMO. And the phantom block in the back looked very real in real time, as the announcers noted. Blame Kennard Cox for being a dumbass as Leon had already passed him.

Who gives a damn if you need real proof.... it was blatant poor officiating and was noticed by every other Seahawks fan. That you fail to acknowledge is irrelevant.


I acknowledged it was poor... I just don't think it's biased.

The early blown whistle on the muffed punt was the worst one for me.

Man I am getting flamed in this thread :180670:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:05 am 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9839
I like Mike Carey, when he's not officiating Seahawks games.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 am 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
Posts: 8836
Location: Granite Falls, WA
kearly wrote:
I like Mike Carey, when he's not officiating Seahawks games.


Stop whining!

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm
Posts: 2269
You can't call everything on Mike Carey - look at the muffed punt recovery, was it Carey who awarded possession to the Bears before anyone had even put their hands on the ball? Unless Carey is going into the referee's locker room before the game and saying "right look guys, I want you to call everything Chicago's way", there's no way I can say he's biased.
I'd like to know how many of those games were IN Seattle though, I reckon it may be a case of a referee and team who are too afraid to go against the home team. Looking at those 8 games, the ones you've mentioned in the post, AT Rams, AT Chicago, AT Cleveland, AT New Orleans, and of course last week AT Miami. That seems far more likely that a referee bias that spreads through his entire team.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:56 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 am
Posts: 1067
Location: Indianapolis
I think it's mostly just Carey and his crew being horrible. I don't see bias. He's a horrible referee, he fancies himself a showman with his dramatic penalty reveals, and he doesn't have a damn clue how to do the job. Unfortunately we've come out on the wrong end of a disproportionate number of his bad calls, but even nine games is a pretty small sample size to try to analyze for a meaningful conclusion.

He should be fired and blacklisted from all employment in civilized society, but I don't think he's out to get us specifically by any means.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:26 am 
NET Pro Bowler
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
Posts: 10236
Location: Vancouver, WA
Intentional bias or not, there appears to be a bit of a pattern here. Anyone ever think the possible dislike of the Seahawks is subconcious on his part, whatever the reason? And yeah, the muffed punt wasn't on him but a member of the crew. Sunday's game was the worst officiated game I've seen the Seahawks involved in since SBXL*. As mentioned previously on this thread, all the momentum changing/killing calls seemd to go against the Hawks just like XL*

Look I said Sunday on the gameday forum and I'll say it here.....I generally don't complain too hard about officiating and at times I get pretty weary of some Seahawks' fans seemingly endless complaints about the referees. However, when it's as blatantly one-sided for whatever the reason as the Chicago game was, it's reasonable to be pissed about it.

The NFL has had an officiating problem for years as evidenced by the Hawks game vs. the Ravens a number of years back, the tuck rule game (and quite a number of other screw jobs the Raiders have taken), XL*, the Steelers/Colts game that same post season, etc., etc., etc..... Shark had a great post on the gameday forum about how he wished Goodall would've held fast on the labor dispute with the refs while putting in place a program to train younger and much more athletic refs to permanently take their place. As much as we Hawks' fans loved the result of the Green Bay game, any chance of something like Shark mentioned being implimented went out the window when that game was concluded the way it was, right or wrong.

_________________
From the white sands
To the canyon lands
To the redwood stands
To the barren lands

Image


Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:49 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 11:16 am
Posts: 281
themunn wrote:
You can't call everything on Mike Carey - look at the muffed punt recovery, was it Carey who awarded possession to the Bears before anyone had even put their hands on the ball? Unless Carey is going into the referee's locker room before the game and saying "right look guys, I want you to call everything Chicago's way", there's no way I can say he's biased..



This is an extremely good point. A conspiracy among all of the crew seems highly unlikely. Of course the disproportionally could be a manifestation of chance.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:01 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:18 pm
Posts: 2065
Location: Marysville, WA
Tech Worlds wrote:
kearly wrote:
I like Mike Carey, when he's not officiating Seahawks games.


Stop whining!

Get to the choppa!

_________________
Image Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:44 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 494
hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
Intentional bias or not, there appears to be a bit of a pattern here. Anyone ever think the possible dislike of the Seahawks subconcious on his part, whatever the reason? And yeah, the muffed punt wasn't on him but a member of the crew. Sunday's game was the worst officiated game I've seen the Seahawks involved in since SBXL*. As mentioned previously on this thread, all the momentum changing/killing calls seemd to go against the Hawks just like XL*

Look I said Sunday on the gameday forum and I'll say it here.....I generally don't complain too hard about officiating and at times I get pretty weary of some Seahawks' fans seemingly endless complaints about the referees. However, when it's as blatantly one-sided for whatever the reason as the Chicago game was, it's reasonable to be pissed about it.

The NFL has had an officiating problem for years as evidenced by the Hawks game vs. the Ravens a number of years back, the tuck rule game (and quite a number of other screw jobs the Raiders have taken), XL*, the Steelers/Colts game that same post season, etc., etc., etc..... Shark had a great post on the gameday forum about how he wished Goodall would've held fast on the labor dispute with the refs while putting in place a program to train younger and much more athletic refs to permanently take their place. As much as we Hawks' fans loved the result of the Green Bay game, any chance of something like Shark mentioned being implimented went out the window when that game was concluded the way it was, right or wrong.

_________________
Doug Baldwin does nothing but Save QB's!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am
Posts: 2774
Whether you think he is bias or not, would you want him officiating a playoff game for us? I know I wouldn't.

The problem I have with him and his crew is that I fully expect a screw job of officiating every time he calls a game for us and unfortunately he has never not delivered. It is a pattern when it is predictable and he is the most predictable of any crew that calls our games.

Call it whatever you want but the stats and game records don't lie, even if you don't trust your eye's. IMO there is just to much evidence to support that something smells real bad about him calling Seahawks games.

_________________
The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:46 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 494
Sorry, I don't know how I posted that??

_________________
Doug Baldwin does nothing but Save QB's!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 am 
* Natural Rubbing Action *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
Posts: 17588
Location: The beautiful PNW
hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
Intentional bias or not, there appears to be a bit of a pattern here. Anyone ever think the possible dislike of the Seahawks subconcious on his part, whatever the reason? And yeah, the muffed punt wasn't on him but a member of the crew. Sunday's game was the worst officiated game I've seen the Seahawks involved in since SBXL*. As mentioned previously on this thread, all the momentum changing/killing calls seemd to go against the Hawks just like XL*

Look I said Sunday on the gameday forum and I'll say it here.....I generally don't complain too hard about officiating and at times I get pretty weary of some Seahawks' fans seemingly endless complaints about the referees. However, when it's as blatantly one-sided for whatever the reason as the Chicago game was, it's reasonable to be pissed about it.

The NFL has had an officiating problem for years as evidenced by the Hawks game vs. the Ravens a number of years back, the tuck rule game (and quite a number of other screw jobs the Raiders have taken), XL*, the Steelers/Colts game that same post season, etc., etc., etc..... Shark had a great post on the gameday forum about how he wished Goodall would've held fast on the labor dispute with the refs while putting in place a program to train younger and much more athletic refs to permanently take their place. As much as we Hawks' fans loved the result of the Green Bay game, any chance of something like Shark mentioned being implimented went out the window when that game was concluded the way it was, right or wrong.


Well said. There is bias, whether intentional or not, with Carey's crew in particular. The reason(s) may never be known, or we could have a league-wide exposure like we saw in basketball a number of years ago. Who knows?

The muffed punt in particular was troubling. Any time there is a turnover, the little black beanie gets thrown, they let the pile sort it out, and then they award possession. This time, possession had already been called before I even had the chance to make an exclamation about it. When you jump out of your seat as a fan and say, "fumb... what? How is it Chicago's ball already?" you know they're not doing it right. Was the black beanie even thrown on that play? Those of you who have the game recorded, can you say for sure?

_________________
World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:00 am 
* NET X's & O's Guru *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
Posts: 8616
Location: PNW
I don't believe in a conspiracy, but I do think that refs get certain preconceptions about which team is supposed to win, or which one commits more penalties and it affects their decisions during a game. I've/We've seen it at all levels, and I think it happened to the Hawks yesterday. We are a poor road team, the Bears were on fire to start the year and we were coming into Soldier Field and not supposed to win. I think that kind of thing makes a difference, whether the ref knows it or not.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:12 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
Posts: 8869
Location: Covington, Washington
Seahawk Sailor wrote:
Those of you who have the game recorded, can you say for sure?


There wasn't a bean bag thrown from the game telecast nor the all-22 shots I looked at. Not sure why the ref was so quick to signal Bears ball. He must have been suffering jet lag.

_________________
Image
Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:20 am 
NET Pro Bowler
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
Posts: 10236
Location: Vancouver, WA
drdiags wrote:
Seahawk Sailor wrote:
Those of you who have the game recorded, can you say for sure?


There wasn't a bean bag thrown from the game telecast nor the all-22 shots I looked at. Not sure why the ref was so quick to signal Bears ball. He must have been suffering from being a moron.

Fixed it for you Doc. :D

_________________
From the white sands
To the canyon lands
To the redwood stands
To the barren lands

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey and SEA since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:33 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:18 pm
Posts: 484
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Zebulon Dak wrote:
hawksfan515 wrote:
SalishHawkFan wrote:
If it were simply him calling a bad game, then like the replacement refs, you'd see bad calls going both ways. In 8 games with Seattle, all the bad calls have gone ONE way - against Seattle. That's not bad officiating, that's BIAS.


Prove it......... :|

EDIT: And by prove it, I mean provide at least 3 instances you can find "bias" in Carey's officiating.

I get that he sucks. I agree with that. Didn't like the punt call. I don't think he's biased against the Hawks though.....


Prove oxygen exists. Prove the moon isn't made out of cheese. Prove you love your mom.

There's plenty of evidence presented in this thread. Doubt anybody could "prove it" whether it's true or not. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to.



Proof of Oxygen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njndpICUs8A
Proof the moon is not made of cheese: The crust of the Moon is composed mostly of oxygen, silicon, magnesium, iron, calcium, and aluminum. There are also trace elements like titanium, uranium, thorium, potassium and hydrogen. This is all determined by scientific analysis of samples from the moon.
Proof of love: Love is an emotion, much like your opinion about the ref being bias. Proof of love would be like me asking you to prove that you "believe" that the refs were bias. The only "proof" available would be conjecture based off of your actions. Since I have never spoken of my mother, you must therefore conclude that with me saying that I do in fact love my mother, that I do. Unfortunately, me just saying it does not constitute proof.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first two things you ask to be proven can in fact be proven because they are a physical reality of the world we live in. The idea of love is real and can be proven, but someone experiencing love can never be proven. It is unfortunately the same with someones bias. You can look back at the data available and interpret it as bias, but it can never be proven. Even if the refs came out and said they were bias, that in and of itself is not enough to prove bias. Before you freak out about that statement think about what would happen if in the future he came back and said he lied? Was it then actually proven that he was bias before?

Just to clarify some things, I'm not trying to start an issue. I just wanted to point out that the idea of asking someone to prove someone else's mental disposition is ludicrous. Whether you believe him to be bias or not is your opinion, which is not subject to right or wrong because it can not be proven one way or the other. Your opinion is shaped and adjusted based on facts presented to you in the course of your analysis and therefore also has merit in the conversation.

Carry on.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:29 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am
Posts: 2774
Fine. Can you prove someone is an alcoholic?
There is no way but that doesn't mean that no one is.

_________________
The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:31 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:04 am
Posts: 599
sturg78 wrote:
I don't believe in an active plot by the refs to screw us, but he sure made it harder to keep my tinfoil hat off. Not all the calls were bad, but they sure were ill timed and ticky tack. Conversely, the bears got away with a lot of non-calls. It didn't help that he seemed really disappointed (as stated in the game day thread) with giving us that last TD.



Shouldn't that have been 15 personal foul

Carey..."personal foul...15 yards...decapitation of a defenseless receiver"

Never saw a flag


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:21 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:42 am
Posts: 1738
Location: New Joisey
I mean sure we got some calls our way, but look at the calls that went against us...it just seems every time he refs we are always on the losing end.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:30 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
Posts: 8869
Location: Covington, Washington
zayden185 wrote:
sturg78 wrote:
I don't believe in an active plot by the refs to screw us, but he sure made it harder to keep my tinfoil hat off. Not all the calls were bad, but they sure were ill timed and ticky tack. Conversely, the bears got away with a lot of non-calls. It didn't help that he seemed really disappointed (as stated in the game day thread) with giving us that last TD.



Shouldn't that have been 15 personal foul

Carey..."personal foul...15 yards...decapitation of a defenseless receiver"

Never saw a flag


Some local sports writer mentioned that the NFL would not be looking at the Rice hit because he had converted from a WR to a runner once he secured the catch. Now I am sure if that was a running QB there might be an unnecessary roughness flag involved.

_________________
Image
Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:00 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:30 pm
Posts: 1767
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Notice all the "famous" carey's are comedians? Time for a new job Mike!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:51 pm 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 1733
I just rewatched the game on Rewind and a couple notes on the refs...

1. If you watch the live game angle...not all the endzone angle replays they showed...Lynch's left knee is on the ground, and clearly IMO.

2. On Bennett's deep drop in the second quarter Clemons was literally TACKLED by their right tackle, directly in front of Carey. The RT grabs Clemons by the front of the shoulder pads and in the horsecollar area in back and just flat out tackles him a split second before Clemons commits a violent crime on Cutler. Four times I watched that play because I could not believe Carey missed it.

3. On the muffed punt the referee, standing directly behind the play with a beautiful angle, signals Bears ball before ANY possession is established. The returner and Maragos dive for the ball and the referee instantly signals Bears ball despite the fact that on the replay it looks like Maragos has possession immediately.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:18 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 7:47 am
Posts: 1022
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
"Carey was just doing his job. He was told to keep the game close due to the action in Vegas (line was Seahawks +3.5, I think), but he, personally, wanted the Bears to win. So he wanted to see the game end in a 1 2 or 3 point win for Chicago, but because Russell Wilson could not accept the Seahawks losing that game, Carey was forced to give the Hawks the game on the Rice TD (which gets the job done for Vegas and explains why Carey was so butthurt about calling the game for Seattle at the end)."

QFT

_________________
posted by
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:55 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am
Posts: 2774
Just caught a clip of the Rice catch in the final drive with 30 seconds left and Pete is running onto the field towards the ref's signaling TO. I thought it seemed like he was making absolutely sure they didn't ignore him and let the clock run. This may not sound like Much but when you factor in these same officials missed him calling TO in the Rams game, on the trick FG that gave them 7 points and eventually cost us the game, I got more the feeling that he knows Carey is deliberately trying to screw the Seahawks and so he was making a public display so as they couldn't ignore him.

_________________
The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:25 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 4678
Location: The 5-0
chawx wrote:
"Carey was just doing his job. He was told to keep the game close due to the action in Vegas (line was Seahawks +3.5, I think), but he, personally, wanted the Bears to win. So he wanted to see the game end in a 1 2 or 3 point win for Chicago, but because Russell Wilson could not accept the Seahawks losing that game, Carey was forced to give the Hawks the game on the Rice TD (which gets the job done for Vegas and explains why Carey was so butthurt about calling the game for Seattle at the end)."

QFT


Discouraging the general populice from sports wagering is never a bad thing....but Vegas has absolutely no influence on the outcome of football games, college or pro. Now, that is not to say that some ahole rogue ref could'nt place a bet, then decide to steer the outcome to his favor. Doubtful but could happen, but the casinos do not participate in such shenanigans. A friend that would know such things assured me of this, then in the next breath told me to never bet on Baseball.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:41 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:13 pm
Posts: 295
Location: The Balls
I think its time for the NFL to flush the toilet, and bring in people who for real closely watch and call a great game. I think its a general consensus that, among many refs, its ok to flag the piss out of the hawks. Dont know why. I've been watching the hawks forever and the refs have had their way with the hawks more than not. Whens the last time you said the refs called a good game?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:24 pm 
* Natural Rubbing Action *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
Posts: 17588
Location: The beautiful PNW
drdiags wrote:
Seahawk Sailor wrote:
Those of you who have the game recorded, can you say for sure?


There wasn't a bean bag thrown from the game telecast nor the all-22 shots I looked at. Not sure why the ref was so quick to signal Bears ball. He must have been suffering jet lag.


That does it for me. What better proof of bias do you want? You throw the bean bag on a turnover. Then you determine possession. He signaled possession before the players even hit the ground, not even bothering with the bean bag. Why would he do that unless it didn't matter who actually had possession? He was going to call Bears' ball no matter what.

_________________
World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:32 pm 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:15 pm
Posts: 310
One omission from the unofficial sportsline research; CHI was called for one personal foul, a horsecollar tackle by Urlacher.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:05 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Posts: 5209
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
SoCalSeahawk wrote:
One omission from the unofficial sportsline research; CHI was called for one personal foul, a horsecollar tackle by Urlacher.


Good point. I thought that was a pretty good call. I definitely didn't see it at first, all I thought was "huh, Leon got tackled kinda funny there".


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 11:16 am
Posts: 281
NJSeaHawk wrote:
I mean sure we got some calls our way, but look at the calls that went against us...it just seems every time he refs we are always on the losing end.


We got a key non call in the game. If there was a conspiracy against the Seahawks by the officiating crew they would have called Baldwin for offense pass interference on a key first down in the game winning drive.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:16 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am
Posts: 2774
Just because one guy, the same guy that called the horse collar on Washington's tackle, doesn't show bias, it doesn't clear the others as such

Go watch the horse collar call and note how much explaining the official had to do to Carey before Carey would finally make the call. Carey did overturn another call by saying Wilson was out of the pocket. Do you believe he would have done that if it favored the Bears?

_________________
The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:44 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 11:16 am
Posts: 281
RichNhansom wrote:

Go watch the horse collar call and note how much explaining the official had to do to Carey before Carey would finally make the call. Carey did overturn another call by saying Wilson was out of the pocket. Do you believe he would have done that if it favored the Bears?


I have no idea what he would have done. I don't think you do either. The most egregious call was the muffed punt...Carey didn't make that call.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:13 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:42 am
Posts: 1738
Location: New Joisey
Exactly..ref had a hand up in the air for the Bears WAY too fast.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:22 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 9:03 pm
Posts: 1047
RichNhansom wrote:
Just because one guy, the same guy that called the horse collar on Washington's tackle, doesn't show bias, it doesn't clear the others as such

Go watch the horse collar call and note how much explaining the official had to do to Carey before Carey would finally make the call. Carey did overturn another call by saying Wilson was out of the pocket. Do you believe he would have done that if it favored the Bears?



But Wilson was out of the pocket, it was a good call. We can't get angry at good calls.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mike Carey since 2008
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:21 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am
Posts: 2774
We don't know when the flag was thrown so it's not automatic that he was out of the pocket and the by itself is meaningless but when put into the context of that game it suddenly looks more suspicious whether it was the right call or not.
The officials get away with these types of games because you can justify any call, as a mistake if need be but sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture, like Hasselbeck's chop block. Out of context it is just a bad call.

With this crew you don't even need to isolate one game, we have years of tape to analyse and the trend has been consistent through all of them. That becomes to much information to ignore or excuse away one call at a time.

_________________
The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]



 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.