Browner's suspension starts this week

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Browner's suspension starts this week
Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:18 pm
  • http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawksbl ... ner05.html

Brandon Browner to begin four-game suspension this week

Danny O'Neil ‏@dannyoneil
    Official announcement regarding CB Brandon Browner expected shortly. He will be eligible to return for a playoff game.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

Re: Browner's suspension starts this week
Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:21 pm
  • Got to think Sherman's chances are not good either. Browner was adamant about his innocence. 3 DBs with two testing positive on the same game day has me wondering if there are even others in the DB room that need to watch themselves?
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:22 pm
  • Not surprised. Anyone who thought that BB and Sherman would get out of this were delusional.
    VancitySeahawk
    NET Veteran

• Thats good I think. Staggering them is the way to go. We dont face great passing offenses coming up, so we will hang in there I hope.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• That was quick, whos going to step up? Thurmond maybe?
    Go SeaHawks
    SeaChase
    NET Veteran

• Good news honestly. We need him for the playoffs and the way he played Sunday, he may need that rest.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• In the grand scheme of things, this is good news. I'd rather absorb the loss now than in the playoffs. We aren't playing dynamic passing teams down the stretch, and I think we can survive.
    @SeahawkGreg

GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:24 pm
  • Damn, oh well.

Best that they are staggered.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:25 pm
  • Now I suppose Sherman is left to lawyer up and dig in hard to drag his appeal out until after the season ends. Good strategy.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• I'm ok with this. Got to believe the front office had their hand in orchestrating the timing and figuring out which one they want to appeal and which one to lose right away.
    It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back
    In the draft, turn nothing into something, still can make that
    Will I
    NET Rookie

• FlyingGreg wrote:In the grand scheme of things, this is good news. I'd rather absorb the loss now than in the playoffs. We aren't playing dynamic passing teams down the stretch, and I think we can survive.

This.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:Good news honestly. We need him for the playoffs and the way he played Sunday, he may need that rest.

Kinda what I was thinking.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:27 pm
  • Pull off the band aid quickly......best to get it over with. Next man up!!
    If the Hawks O can pick it up and put more points up, that'll certainly help.
    Last edited by samwize77 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:27 pm
  • I didn't read the article, but any idea how soon we will find out who will start in his place? I'm pulling for Lane.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:29 pm
  • Sucks he's out, but if he was really taking a banned substance it's his own fault (same for Sherman). Glad they will be staggered, but I would honestly rather they both just get it overwith, unless Sherman can drag this out until next season completely.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:30 pm
  • Will I wrote:I'm ok with this. Got to believe the front office had their hand in orchestrating the timing and figuring out which one they want to appeal and which one to lose right away.

The only way the players would allow this is if the players were willing to plead guilty.

Lets remember this is four unpaid games for the players

The next suspension for PED's is a FULL SEASON!!!!

There is no way the players allowed the team to say don't fight this for the best of the team.... Now if they are both guilty I could see them saying ok we will do the staggered approach after the Bears game

There is always a possibility of taking over the counter stuff and getting something not allowed so by having this four game suspension these guys are on thin ice for the rest of their career - this is something really major for them well beyond just the four games.

No issue with the suspension - they got tested and apparently were guilty get them suspended
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:31 pm
  • I love our front office. They just decided that Tru should be good this week, Thurmond can take over for browner, and string out Sherman till post season, and then draft a corner for Sherman's suspension next year.

Of course this is all pure hyperbole and speculation, like everything else on these boards.

Go Hawks!
    "I don't know why anyone thinks the NFL is going to start the season with a rematch of one of the most lopsided Super Bowls of all-time.

They want a competitive game, not an ass-pounding." --- Broncos Fan
    smashmouth59
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:34 pm
  • smashmouth59 wrote:I love our front office. They just decided that Tru should be good this week, Thurmond can take over for browner, and string out Sherman till post season, and then draft a corner for Sherman's suspension next year.

Of course this is all pure hyperbole and speculation, like everything else on these boards.

Go Hawks!

Yeah but not having Sherman for the playoffs is going to suck. Honestly I think I rather have Sherman miss the remaining four regular season games and have him back for the playoffs.
    VancitySeahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:36 pm
  • Man hate to see him out, but having him back for the playoffs will be big if we make it.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:37 pm
  • The only elite WR left on the Seahawks regular season schedule is Larry Fitzgerald...

Fitzgerald
    Steve Johnson (good but not elite)
    Crabtree/Manningham (good but not elite)
    Givens/Amendola (Amendola is elite when healthy but the chances of that are slim to none with that guy's body).

If we play the NYG or GB in the playoffs I will be far more concerned then playing the 49ers if we are without Sherm.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:39 pm
  • NEWS from Danny O'Neil:

"#Seahawks signed CB Ron Parker -- formerly with the team -- from #Panthers practice squad and promote Deshawn Shead from its practice squad."

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:40 pm
  • I would rather have both of them sit out now. And be ready for the playoffs.
    Joey13091
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:43 pm
  • Great. Now Skelton is going to shred us on Sunday.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:45 pm
  • Skelton did us in with those quick release passes. that needs to be defended.
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:46 pm
  • Skelton did us in with those quick release passes. that needs to be defended.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:47 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Skelton did us in with those quick release passes. that needs to be defended.

Actually, IIRC we were kicking Skelton's ass in that game. It was Kolb that came in and looked like Joe Montana for half a quarter. Probably would have won if Skelton stayed in...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:49 pm
  • Carroll says Thurmond takes Browner's spot. and Lane inside battling with Maxwell. Lane gets 1st shot inside.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:54 pm
  • SeahawksFanForever wrote:Carroll says Thurmond takes Browner's spot. and Lane inside battling with Maxwell. Lane gets 1st shot inside.

Nice. If Thurmond is the same guy he was last year then maybe we aren't too bad. People forget that Thurmond was starting over Sherman last year. Dude can play ball.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:57 pm
  • Maybe this means earl won't have to be deep so often since Thurmond is faster than browner and doesn't need the over the top help as much. Besides, I hope the bears game makes PC realize he needs to keep Sherm lines up on allstar WR all game like Marshall and now Fitz. I'm excited to see Jeremy lane out there.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 pm
  • The timing of this is great. This creates two facts regarding Sherman/Browner

We will NOT be without both of them During the Playoffs

We will NOT be without both of them At all Next Season

Bonus points for Sherman being around the next couple games to reduce the risk of another "let down".
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:59 pm
  • Browner's suspension linked to Adderall? Did I hear that correctly?
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• CANHawk wrote:Now I suppose Sherman is left to lawyer up and dig in hard to drag his appeal out until after the season ends. Good strategy.

Funny, that's exactly how I was thinkingit should be played. Keep them bothe for the Bears game, then take one suspension now and try to delay one until next season. I think the court which has jurisdiction (wasn't it always Judge Doty in Minnesota or something?) has the power to set aside the suspensions until any case is heard. Just settle the case at the start of neext season. Didn't that starcaps thing get strung along for monts? Mind you, that was under the previous CBA.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

• Am I weird for having confidence in Thurmond and Maxwell? I don't know.. just have a sinking feeling one of these guys will be a LOT better than people anticipate.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Unless Sherman/the team is absolutely certain something is gonna give during his appeal process, I almost wish he'd just drop it and start his 4 games now so we could have them both for the playoffs. If we assume Sherman isn't a unique case and his suspension will be upheld after the weekend, and that it then boils down to either having Sherman versus Arizona or having Sherman in a potential playoff game, I'd roll the dice on the second option.

That being said I have full confidence in WTIII. Interested to see what Lane can do, because I don't have a ton of faith in Maxwell as a cover guy and Trufant makes me cringe
    Last edited by ErikG803 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    ErikG803
    NET Veteran

• ErikG803 wrote:Unless Sherman/the team is absolutely certain something is gonna give during his appeal process, I almost wish he'd just drop it and start his 4 games now so we could have them both for the playoffs. If we assume Sherman isn't a unique case and his suspension will be upheld after the weekend, and that it then boils down to either having Sherman versus Arizona or having Sherman in a potential playoff game, I'd roll the dice on the second option.

Agreed. I figure his idea is to stagger this thing out as long as possible.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Not too worried about this - Browner is good but he was overrated last year because he happened to have a lot of interceptions. How many bad penalties did he commit? And off the top of my head I remember him totally botching a play against Washington on a duck that Rex Grossman(!) threw into the end zone towards the end of the game.

I fell off my couch laughing when we played the Rams on MNF and Gruden said he thought he should make the Pro Bowl. I know he made it, but again, it was due to his inflated interception total.

Look at his horrible coverage on that pass that Bennett should have caught on Sunday. I know Sherman botched the play to Marshall at the end of the game, but that was a bad snap decision, not bad coverage.
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    DYLcurry59
    NET Veteran

• Question. If Thumond kicks ass does Browner get his job back?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• who knows, the opportunity that presents itself, may be a star will be born whoever gets to play this weekend to replace Brandon Browner. Never know what to expect, but I like the always compete mantra and I guess it has to bear fruit in some fashion. I think having new guys start at home is much better than to start in Toronto.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:Am I weird for having confidence in Thurmond and Maxwell? I don't know.. just have a sinking feeling one of these guys will be a LOT better than people anticipate.

I don't know if I'm confident. But I don't see it as an end of the world scenario by any means. I haven't been exactly thrilled with Browner a good portion of this year. He looked pretty silly on multiple occasions in Chicago. Thurmond, Trufant, Maxwell, and Lane are a definite step down. But I think it's not unreasonable to think one or two of them can step up to the challenge and not get embarrassed. Pete's always talked up guys like Maxwell and Lane. Saying they like them as players with potential. If the rest of the defense is able to play well, it's not ridiculous to expect backups to be able to fill in without a terrible drop off.

That's one of the positives of having a good (for the most part) defense. It's a lot easier for young, unproven players to step in and contribute. Like Malcolm Smith in Chicago playing for Leroy Hill. He didn't light the world on fire. But he also wasn't asked to do anything more than fill a role in a unit with other good players.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• Hasselbeck wrote:Am I weird for having confidence in Thurmond and Maxwell? I don't know.. just have a sinking feeling one of these guys will be a LOT better than people anticipate.

It's reasonable to be confident in Thurmond. He has the skills. Health is his main problem. (Hence why you don't have to have a "sinking" feeling. It's a good thing!)

I'm hoping we have another diamond in the rough with Maxwell, but I'm not getting ahead of myself. Still, if we can generate pressure with the front four at home, it'l cover some issues with our secondary.

Also (not directed at the above), I think the reason Browner is out now is that the NFL denied his appeal. That's about the only thing I can think would be the cause of this news.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I like Thurmond. His injuries have been frustrating but I have no doubt about his abilities when healthy. He played a great game against the Giants last year as the Slot DB and his rookie year did well when starting for Trufant or ??? against the Cardinals. Sherman can thank ET and fate for getting his chance last year in the Browns game.

Thurmond is a starting caliber DB. He should be able to hold up his end. It is the next guy, when Sherman's appeal fails that is the question. Seems like it will be Lane because I doubt they move Trufant out to corner if/when he heals up from his hammy. That puts Maxwell in the slot. Good thing they have opened up the offense, I could see the scoring average going up against the defense.

I have no concerns about the regular season, only the playoffs. And if I did, I will keep them to myself.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Can Browner practice/workout w/ the team during the suspension? Or is it stay away, we'll see you in a month?
    olyryder
    NET Bench Warmer

• I am with the Doc. Press requires a certain athletic fit, but is also simpler coverage in a lot of ways, we will be OK. Now, in the playoffs, when we will most assuredly be facing some really good QBs, then I will be more worried.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• its funny how our defense has been on the decline. i have a gut feeling this is a bigger problem in the locker room
    World champs

russell wilson was born 5ft 10"
    hawksincebirth
    NET Rookie

• CANHawk wrote:
    SeahawksFanForever wrote:Carroll says Thurmond takes Browner's spot. and Lane inside battling with Maxwell. Lane gets 1st shot inside.

Nice. If Thurmond is the same guy he was last year then maybe we aren't too bad. People forget that Thurmond was starting over Sherman last year. Dude can play ball.

He also locked down Fitzgerald in the CLINK his rookie year playing in place of Trufant who was injured. Can he repeat that performance? Let's hope.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• drdiags wrote:I like Thurmond. His injuries have been frustrating but I have no doubt about his abilities when healthy. He played a great game against the Giants last year as the Slot DB and his rookie year did well when starting for Trufant or ??? against the Cardinals. Sherman can thank ET and fate for getting his chance last year in the Browns game.

Thurmond is a starting caliber DB. He should be able to hold up his end. It is the next guy, when Sherman's appeal fails that is the question. Seems like it will be Lane because I doubt they move Trufant out to corner if/when he heals up from his hammy. That puts Maxwell in the slot. Good thing they have opened up the offense, I could see the scoring average going up against the defense.

I have no concerns about the regular season, only the playoffs. And if I did, I will keep them to myself.

I doubt Maxwell will play slot. I think Lane holds that down and Maxwell bumps out to the edge. he's built more like Sherman and Browner so I think he's more suited to the outside.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• Defensive secondary is Pete's forte. It's his biggest area of knowledge and the place he's proven to be most resourceful. I'm sure that all the kids we have lined up behind the starters have amazing potential. T3 was a starter, Maxwell has looked pretty good when we've seen him, Lane seems to have amazing athletic ability and looked really good in pre-season, we know what Roy Lewis can do, Trufant is still a pretty servicable veteran. I think we'll be okay and for the silver lining edition, we might even get another Richard Sherman "where the hell did THAT guy come from" out of this before it's all said and done.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• What CAN said. Pete knows DB's. I recall an interview with him earlier in the year where it basically sounded as if he thought the world of Maxwell and Lane. I know Pete sounds that way about everyone. But think about it. Sherman was drafted in the 5th round. Maxwell and Lane were both 6th round picks. Maxwell and Sherman were drafted in the same draft, and most people initially lumped them together as project cb's. Nobody should be expecting another Sherman. But it's not crazy to think they could end up players for this team. I trust Pete's eye at the position.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• Yeah, But our Defense has had a history of making good receivers look elite! This is a huge loss for us, no matter how you try and stack it!
    djb28
    NET Veteran

• jlwaters1 wrote:
    drdiags wrote:I like Thurmond. His injuries have been frustrating but I have no doubt about his abilities when healthy. He played a great game against the Giants last year as the Slot DB and his rookie year did well when starting for Trufant or ??? against the Cardinals. Sherman can thank ET and fate for getting his chance last year in the Browns game.

I doubt Maxwell will play slot. I think Lane holds that down and Maxwell bumps out to the edge. he's built more like Sherman and Browner so I think he's more suited to the outside.

Byron Maxwell has been plagued with chronic hamstring problems since his arrival in Seattle. Sadly, as well as he has played on special teams, he hasn't been able to be available from week to week despite the snap limitation. Until he and the training staff find a way to manage the problem, Byron's future is uncertain.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Next

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:35 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information