Seahawks work out QB

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Seahawks work out QB
Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:20 am
  • From Jason La Canfora:

"Glad to see SEA worked out Josh Johnson this week. been baffled QBs like Johnson and Hoyer were out of league for so long. Both have upside"

Didn't this posted anywhere, sorry if it has.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Re: Seahawks work out QB
Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:22 am
  • Replacement for Portis?
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:23 am
  • I don't know anything about the guy admittedly, but here's something interesting from Danny Kelly:

"It's a misconception that Russell Wilson owns the record for QB rating in college football, but it's actually Josh Johnson."
    Last edited by razgriz737 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:25 am
  • Haha, another interesting fact from Danny Kelly (these are all from twitter btw):

"Also, Johnson is Marshawn Lynch's cousin. Not that this matters a lot. But it's cool?"

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:27 am
  • Johnson is a stud. Hope we sign him.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:31 am
  • He was actually someone I wanted to get signed in the offseason, so maybe? he was with the 49ers earlier I guess he didn't make the squad.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:35 am
  • From what little research I've done, apparently he spent 2009-11 with the Bucs, then was signed to a 2-year deal with the Whiners in 2012 but didn't make the 53-man roster.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 am
  • He'd be a great back-up for Wilson next year assuming we ship Flynn off to parts unknown. Plays that athletic style so we could keep the read option in the playbook in the event we're ever winning by 50 at halftime and need to sit Wilson for a half.... or, y'know... the other thing.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:01 am
  • I asked some Buc friends about him a couple years ago when we had nothing but clipboard and Hasselbeck and they said he's an okay back up but he'll never be anything special. He's not the leader type and gets by on athletic ability. One of my friends said he's not a gym rat and doesn't put the time in on film study. He played for some small school when Harbaugh had his first head coaching gig and did well but it was like division 2 football I think. Harbaugh brought him in this year but he got beat out by Tolzein? not sure if I spelled that right. I think he actually has a few starts over the last couple years and his numbers aren't that good.

Is he even practice squad illegible? I doubt it but I'm not sure on the exact rules of practice squad illegibility.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:01 am
  • CANHawk wrote:He'd be a great back-up for Wilson next year assuming we ship Flynn off to parts unknown. Plays that athletic style so we could keep the read option in the playbook in the event we're ever winning by 50 at halftime and need to sit Wilson for a half.... or, y'know... the other thing.

Agreed. If he shows anything, it gives our F.O. a chance to do some wheeling and dealing.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:05 am
  • I can't help but wonder if this means our FO is gearing up to deal MF15 in the offseason. If you look around the league, it looks like there could be A LOT of teams looking for QB's, even more than last year.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:07 am
  • I am experiencing a feeling that I've never felt before, ever. A young QB has been added to the Seahawks roster and I'm not immediately hoping that he develops into the starter. Am I ill? What has happened to me?
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:08 am
  • Makes a lot if sense. We still need a athletic type qb to run scout teams
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:13 am
  • Between the Jets, Cardinals, Jaguars, there's definitely a need for QBs, and Flynn might be worht something. Like the move.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:33 am
  • In case anyone is suspicious, here's another source, Adam Caplan:

"Former 49ers QB Josh Johnson and CB Roy Lewis worked out for the Seahawks."

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:38 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:I can't help but wonder if this means our FO is gearing up to deal MF15 in the offseason. If you look around the league, it looks like there could be A LOT of teams looking for QB's, even more than last year.

I think they're at least preparing for the possibility. Doubt they'll be in a hurry to ship Flynn out of town, but if somebody comes along with the right offer I think they'd do it.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:52 pm
  • The draft doesn't have any high end talent at Qb this year. I'm betting Flynn has more value in the offseason, unless someone gets hurt.

Thing is, I liked Josh Johnson coming out of (I think San Diego St.) but he never really developed in Tampa. Now, did he not have a good role model ? Freeman doesn't strike me as the Manning/Brady/Wilson type of hard working grinder that success at QB in the NFL. Sometimes it takes a good mentor.

It's intriguing to say the least. Is he practice squad eligible, does anyone know ?
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:41 pm
  • Yeah thats lynch's cousin. they went to oakland technical together.
    PAT206
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:14 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:The draft doesn't have any high end talent at Qb this year. I'm betting Flynn has more value in the offseason, unless someone gets hurt.

By what metric? Is Barkley still too short or something?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:41 pm
  • If this guy is available, in this QB hungry league, it's because he has zero upside. Zero.

At the risk of sounding jaded, if Zona, SF or STL were looking at this guy, 99% of us would be saying: Good, the guy is a bum, if he were any good, he'd currently be on someone's roster.

Am I wrong?

RussellWilson is making strides serious enough to where for the first time this year, I think offers for MF should definitely be entertained (in the off-season). I have complete confidence in JS and believe he will get max value for Flynn or Flynn will remain a Hawk. I like either scenario.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:44 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:RussellWilson is making strides serious enough to where for the first time this year, I think offers for MF should definitely be entertained (in the off-season). I have complete confidence in JS and believe he will get max value for Flynn or Flynn will remain a Hawk. I like either scenario.

Agree 100%. Nothing against Flynn either.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:04 pm
  • Wilson owns the division I passer rating record.

Johnson had a slightly better rating playing for a division I-AA team (the university of San Diego, not to be confused with San Diego State). San Diego is such a tiny football program that it does not even offer football scholarships. It's basically a JUCO like the one Portis played for.

I think Josh Johnson is a neat prospect, but he was coached in college by Jim Harbaugh and was picked up by Harbaugh again last year only to last one season- which is saying a lot given SF's QB situation.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:13 pm
  • If Harbaugh didn't want him, that says a lot IMO.

Pass.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:14 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:RussellWilson is making strides serious enough to where for the first time this year, I think offers for MF should definitely be entertained (in the off-season). I have complete confidence in JS and believe he will get max value for Flynn or Flynn will remain a Hawk. I like either scenario.

Agree 100%. Nothing against Flynn either.

Understood and I feel the same. Like yourself (and very few others) I have the uncanny ability to like RussellWilson while still respecting Matt Flynn. I will regret never seeing what Flynn could do with this team, should he be moved, but Wilson is just too good and (if the price is right) I'd like to see Flynn get a shot somewhere (outside the NFCW) else.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:24 pm
  • kearly wrote:.

I think Josh Johnson is a neat prospect, but he was coached in college by Jim Harbaugh and was picked up by Harbaugh again last year only to last one season- which is saying a lot given SF's QB situation.

Small correction: Johnson was signed THIS offseason, and was cut during (or right after) the preseason. Only lasted a few months.

He was an interesting prospect coming out of college, but TB drafted Freeman and JJ never really got a chance to supplant him. Even with Freeman's struggles last year, JJ only saw the field once or twice.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:02 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:If Harbaugh didn't want him, that says a lot IMO.

Yeah, it says "I've got Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick already. No big deal."

Cool acquisition. Now we can trade Flynn for a...um...never mind.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:07 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:If Harbaugh didn't want him, that says a lot IMO.

Yeah, it says "I've got Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick already. No big deal."

Cool acquisition. Now we can trade Flynn for a...um...never mind.

They kept Tolzien over him though..... :|
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:19 pm
  • Pete "Transaction" Carroll. I doubt he's ever uttered the words: let's just stand pat.

I like it.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:If Harbaugh didn't want him, that says a lot IMO.

Pass.

Ya, Harbaugh also passed on Doug Baldwin.
    GoHawks1212
    NET Rookie

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information