Where's the fine for Major Wright?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Where's the fine for Major Wright?
Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:08 pm
  • Blow to the head on Sidney should be at least 20k
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Re: Where's the fine for Major Wright?
Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:10 pm
  • Won't happen. Bears are one of Goodell's protected golden children (Giants, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, etc.).
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:12 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Blow to the head on Sidney should be at least 20k

wont happen dont hold your breath. The NFL only fine players on teams that hurt their precious teams or people on the precious teams that they cannot get away with becuase of outrage.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:16 pm
  • how does harrison collect them
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:20 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:Won't happen. Bears are one of Goodell's protected golden children (Giants, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, etc.).

Oh, I wouldn't count the Steelers amongst those teams.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• It wasn't a fine-able offense.

Rice made a football move and went to the ground on his own, head first. He wasn't defenseless. It's similar to a RB diving headfirst for a first down, and a guy hitting him in the head with his shoulder pad.

There was no helmet to helmet, Wright led with his shoulder pad and was aiming at the ball until Rice went headfirst into the end zone.

I'm just glad Rice is ok. With that hit, it looks like he's going to stay more durable than the last 2 years, which is good.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• He wasn't a defenseless receiver, so I don't think there is any penalty, as he changed into a runner. Wright was just trying to improbably keep Rice out of the endzone, and almost succeeded.

Seriously guys, if Wright gets fined for that, football really goes down a notch in physicality. Some things won't change, or at least shouldn't change for a while longer.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:24 pm
  • Oh god, does everyone have to be such a homer around here all the time? Yes it was a brutal hit but on replays you can clearly see Rice lowered his head into Wrights shoulder. He put his body on the line to get into the endzone and got hurt in the process.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:24 pm
  • It was a game winning TD. AND Sid is fine........the fine is to the bears loss column.....hahahahaha

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:26 pm
  • I don't think he will or should be fined, but it does amaze me that he won't get fined for this and Earl Thomas got fined for...whatever that was.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:27 pm
  • If Wright got fined for that, it would piss me off almost as much as Tate's block against Dallas.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:31 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:I don't think he will or should be fined, but it does amaze me that he won't get fined for this and Earl Thomas got fined for...whatever that was.

Yeah, neither should've been fined IMO. they both weren't trying to hurt, just trying to win the game for the team. Earl should've succeeded too, if it weren't for that bogus penalty. UGh.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:35 pm
  • You cant sit there and tell me that if Browner hit a receiver like that, he wouldnt get fined
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Blow to the head on Sidney should be at least 20k

if they ever start to fine players for playing the game ( which is what you are looking for ) then the game will forever be ruined.

its already horrible that they fine players who hit Qbs and defensless recievers , but you want running backs and people running the ball to have the same protection?? that is ridiculous and soft.
    I hope many people feel the same way I do or my favorite sport will eventually be ruined.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 pm
  • I thought the purpose of the new rules and all the fines was to prevent head injuries. They've been calling it reaally tight this year and I've seen similar hits get fined. I thought the inital fine against Ed Reed was excessive, but if that's what they are doing, they should do a better job of protecting players from blows to the head.

The hit was unneccesary, hr used his elbow and it was too late to prevent the TD. I guess the worst thing about their new approach is that there is no consistency.
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:57 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:I guess the worst thing about their new approach is that there is no consistency.

That is definitely true.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 pm
  • Pstark3 wrote:You cant sit there and tell me that if Browner hit a receiver like that, he wouldnt get fined

No, the real answer is, you can't sit there and tell me that if Browner hit a receiver like that, he would get fined.

I didn't see a problem with the hit, and I think the only reason we really see a problem with it is because Rice looked to be injured. I was pretty mad at first when I saw Rice flop to the ground, but I still never saw a problem with the hit. I must not have watched close enough or something, but I think it's gotta be pretty blatantly obvious to be fine able.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:31 pm
  • Nothing wrong with that hit by Wright. It was bang-bang between Rice crossing the goalline and Wright trying to keep him out. Rice, by going low also changed his target far too quickly for Wright to react. If Wright had been fined for that I'd be pissed. This is football. Good effort by Wright, better play by Rice.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:33 pm
  • Pstark3 wrote:You cant sit there and tell me that if Browner hit a receiver like that, he wouldnt get fined

We'll never know, but it doesn't really matter. If it did happen to Browner we'd be pissed and we'd be right. It doesn't change just because it was another team's player. He was literally inches from causing a game-saving fumble.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:36 pm
  • according to the new rules any blow to the head is a penalty and fine-able offense, I don't know what people are so confused about. it was a blow to the head.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:38 pm
  • bellingerga wrote:according to the new rules any blow to the head is a penalty and fine-able offense, I don't know what people are so confused about. it was a blow to the head.

How about the fact that Sidney lowered his head into Wrights shoulder? :|
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:41 pm
  • bellingerga wrote:according to the new rules any blow to the head is a penalty and fine-able offense, I don't know what people are so confused about. it was a blow to the head.

Find me one defensive player who has been fined for hitting a runningback in the head. thats right you cant. because when a player is running with the football he can be tackled anyway possible besides from the horsecollar or facemask.

It was indeed a blow to the head , but a blow to the head that was intiated by Sidney rice himself.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 pm
  • Come on!! We've got to be better than this, we've just got to be. We've had a team since 1976, we don't have that excuse anymore! Figure it out already Hawks fans (I know full well that most of you deciphered the rule correctly).

Every time a player puts his head in danger and gets a concussion doesn't mean there is a conspiracy against our players and our team. FIgure it out!
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:59 pm
  • It's only Tuesday. I am sure he will get fined by the end of the week. The guy lowered his shoulder and targeted the back of Rice's head.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:51 pm

Pretty sure he blew up Wes Welker in a fairly similar manner and didn't get fined.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:39 pm
  • As stated, Rice went low. It would have been impossible to tackle him in any other manner then he did. I would hate to see Wright fined cause that is the league plainly stating that any big hit, despite how clean, is a potential fine.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:29 am
  • Navyhawkfan187 wrote:
    Pstark3 wrote:You cant sit there and tell me that if Browner hit a receiver like that, he wouldnt get fined

Pretty sure he blew up Wes Welker in a fairly similar manner and didn't get fined.

Not even close. That was a clean hit.

I'm pretty sure that the NFL is focusing on blows to the head, but the consistency for penalties and fines is not consistent. Like the BS fine to Earl Thomas described as both a blow to the head and roughing the passer. Then there are the 'Defenseless Receiver" penalties which they called on Ed Reed and which I thought was pretty ticky tack.

But I have seen calls for "blows to the head" no matter what the offensive player was doing. They expect the defender to be able to avoid those kinds of hits. Hence the jokes about ET practicing Matrix moves.

They came up with these new ideas to prevent concussions but they have yet to solidify definitions such as the difference between and inadvertant blow to the head and a purposeful blow to the head. Then there is the inconsistency with protecting the QB where they have called taps to the QBs head when they ducked.

It is my humble opinion that they need to have a stipulation where a blow to the head must appear to be intentional and if it appears that the defender attempted to avoid it or by any reasonable standard was unable to avoid, they should not call it.

I just want consistency. There have been too many ticky tack calls and too many one-sided flag-fests where one team gets the majority of them.

For example, I disagreed with the roughing the passer on Alan Branch, there was no way to avoid making contact and there was nothing malicious about it. On the holding call against Okung, the announcers said Russell got clobbered, I didn't see the whole thing but from the partial replay, it didn't look bad to me. But again, I didn't see the whole thing. Either way, they are getting too flag happy with the roughing the passer calls and getting face-time on TV. Pretty Bogus.

Just my opinion.
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:45 am
  • Once a WR catches the ball and makes a "football move" he is no longer a "defenseless player" and he is treated as a HB for all intents and purposes, same with a QB who escapes the pocket and gets over the LOS, he is now a HB as far as a "blow to the head" is concerned. That's the way it is. Like it or not...thats how its going to be. As long as a QB is behind the LOS if you breath too hard on his helmet you risk getting flagged, if a WR is still in the process of the catch and you tap him too hard in the shoulder causing his head to come back and hit you, you risk getting flagged. If a WR turns up field with the ball and dives for the EZ while you're diving to try and stop him, well all's fair in that instance.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:14 am
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:Oh god, does everyone have to be such a homer around here all the time? Yes it was a brutal hit but on replays you can clearly see Rice lowered his head into Wrights shoulder. He put his body on the line to get into the endzone and got hurt in the process.

Do you have to call out everyone for being homers all the time?
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information