Why the Edwards catch should not have been over turned

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Yes it touched the grass while he was catching it. Which means it was still 6 inches above the ground. Did you see the length of the grass on that shitty field? (yes, this thread is really just an excuse to bitch about Soldier Field.)

Soldier Field has one of the poorest, shittiest excuses for a football field in the NFL, just behind that god awful Heinz field.
    End rant.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• It may have been the right call if it had been called like that on the field. I am not one to bitch about the refs making the right call, but the fact he thought there was enough evidence to over turn that was complete bs. The best few was a hundred yards away and Pete was right when he told them at half time that there is no way they could see whether or not Braylon's fingers were under the ball. 9/10 (would have been 10/10 if not for yesterday) that play stands as however it was called on the field.

I know your post was to bitch about the field but that call made me angry.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

• Speaking of Edwards touchdowns. Earlier in the game if RW put a little more meat on the throw to Edwards on that go route, he could have had two touchdowns. The commentator questioned whether Braylon has enough juice left for such plays, but really the pass was underthrown. That play, overthrowing Miller, and not seeing Miller in the end zone were the only three RW mistakes I can think of in the game. Did I mention I love our quarterback?
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

• But.. Mike Pereira said so!
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• 12evanf wrote:Speaking of Edwards touchdowns. Earlier in the game if RW put a little more meat on the throw to Edwards on that go route, he could have had two touchdowns. The commentator questioned whether Braylon has enough juice left for such plays, but really the pass was underthrown. That play, overthrowing Miller, and not seeing Miller in the end zone were the only three RW mistakes I can think of in the game. Did I mention I love our quarterback?

Ah, I almost forgot that play.
    Yes, underthrown. Still, why the hell was Edwards body catching that ball? Go up and get it! I was livid with Edwards for trying to cradle that catch. But if I had his past history of drops, I would probably try to cradle catches too.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Pstark3 wrote:But.. Mike Pereira said so!

God I hate that egotistical blow hard
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• simply ridiculous!
    I don't know why I bother... no one cares what I think.
    zhawk
    NET Veteran

• rainger wrote:
    Pstark3 wrote:But.. Mike Pereira said so!

As do I. He's a douche.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• It was still pretty close. Play by russell was amazing though... Best play of the game for him IMO.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Braylon Edwards: Collector of the kind of easily-excused almost-catches that Golden Tate, somehow, just doesn't drop.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Greenhell wrote:
    rainger wrote:

As do I. He's a douche.

It's PHYSICALLY painful to listen to that tool try to wriggle out of ever calling anything in Seattle's favor. It's just incredible. I mean, I know I'm biased and expect the worst from him (and am invariably "reassured" of that), but I honestly can't remember anything else ever coming out of his waste of a hole. Does anyone else?
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

• It was underthrown......

Lol did you see RW laying out to get that ball off? Vertical with the ground....

Agree in the other mistakes

As I recall the revised ruling they stated it hit the ground PRIOR to receivers hands bouncing up into the hands

Which is bs
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I thought it was incomplete. But I also thought there was no way that they should have overturned it based on the evidence.

So basically the refs screwed up twice on that play if thats possible. Both the original call and the overturn.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Braylon Edwards: Collector of the kind of easily-excused almost-catches that Golden Tate, somehow, just doesn't drop.

Yep. Braylon doesn't catch either of these.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:I thought it was incomplete. But I also thought there was no way that they should have overturned it based on the evidence.

So basically the refs screwed up twice on that play if thats possible. Both the original call and the overturn.

My thoughts exactly.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Greenhell wrote:
    rainger wrote:

As do I. He's a douche.

Who? Oh, you mean Mike "It Had The Ingredients Of A Hold" Pereira?

That guy is such an assclown.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Sure I am biased, but the refs fail to take into consideration that your hands can dig into the turf a bit and compress the grass to make the catch. The rules says it has to be clear to overturn. It was not anyway I see it
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Apropos of nothing, Golden Tate honestly is a punk. Great playmaker, but a punk.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• i too thought according to the rules it was incomplete, but since ruled a TD on the field there was no where near enough eveidence to overturn it...

as far as soldier field, ya man it looked raggedy as hell, but being an old cat from way back, i love any field with real dirt and grass.... nothing like seeing the apposing QB get up with a big hunk of turf stuck in his facemask...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Apropos of nothing, Golden Tate honestly is a punk. Great playmaker, but a punk.

why do you say that? I haven't heard anything from him to suggest that he's a "punk." Unless you somehow know he's into punk rock music, than that's cool. :D
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Braylon Edwards: Collector of the kind of easily-excused almost-catches that Golden Tate, somehow, just doesn't drop.

Yep. Braylon doesn't catch either of these.

The question with Tate's catch in Miami - yes he's on the ground and he's been touched by the player... but before he's caught the ball. From the moment that he has possession of the ball I don't think anyone touches him whilst he's on the ground.

If a player was blocked and fell to the ground, caught the ball on the ground somehow and got up and ran it in... is he down by contact?
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• I don't even know how Pereira is employed in his current position. Seriously, he's supposed to be the "expert" on all the close calls around the league, but I haven't heard him once say a call should be over turned, or that there is EVER a bad call.

All he does is stick up for the refs. No drama and no entertainment there. Fire his ass.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:as far as soldier field, ya man it looked raggedy as hell, but being an old cat from way back, i love any field with real dirt and grass.... nothing like seeing the apposing QB get up with a big hunk of turf stuck in his facemask...

what he said...
    crucifyd
    NET Practice Squad

• crucifyd wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:as far as soldier field, ya man it looked raggedy as hell, but being an old cat from way back, i love any field with real dirt and grass.... nothing like seeing the apposing QB get up with a big hunk of turf stuck in his facemask...

what he said...

yeah, there is something sacred about a field you can actually get dirty on
    madbohem
    NET Rookie

• themunn wrote:The question with Tate's catch in Miami - yes he's on the ground and he's been touched by the player... but before he's caught the ball. From the moment that he has possession of the ball I don't think anyone touches him whilst he's on the ground.

If a player was blocked and fell to the ground, caught the ball on the ground somehow and got up and ran it in... is he down by contact?

He has his arms under the ball and is touched by the player. The full control of the ball may come as he is off the guy but as I see it the ball makes impact with tate when he is touched by the other player.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information