Could Bevell leave?

Largent80

Reaction score
Hopefully Bevell takes a long vacation.....like for the rest of his life, and never comes back. At least to Seattle

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bevell's sometimes hot-and-cold, but has called brilliant games at times. His game plan and usage of the zone read against the Bears was responsible for that win, and he's delivered on our hopes of making Golden Tate a legitimate weapon via effective screens and swing passes. Seattle's play-action concepts are flexible and effective. His inclusion of the run and his deep-ball preferences fit Wilson and this offense well.

A lot of the "boneheaded" plays that Bevell calls can be explained away in other ways. A lot of the time he gets cute with excessive short passes that are actually attempts to set up the long ball that fail in and of themselves. That's on execution - he's very much a "long con" play-caller, and that's going to look hot and cold when the initial plays fail. I also feel that Seattle's playbook is severely limited by our lack of deep speed. And it has to be asked how many of the dumb plays are Pete Carroll's. But at least Pete's got a clear strategy that fits Bevell well, unlike Greg "Throw Everything at the Wall and See What Sticks" Knapp. I think it says a lot that Bevell managed a lot of explosive plays, and even a brief semblance of the Wilson-esque efficient passing game, with Tarvaris Jackson late last year.

At the very least, like Jeremy Bates before him, Bevell is good enough to where shedding him wouldn't be worth losing scheme continuity again, IMO. At most, he could be a great coordinator who just needs more experience. Give this offense more time to grow before we make judgments on him.

pehawk

Reaction score
I could just be a typical Seattle fan, pointing fingers, because I dont know any better.

But, I've noticed on key 3rd or 4th downs, Pete goes to Cable, not Bevell. Cable is given draft picks to play with. Cable is in charge of what offensive lineman plays where. When big plays hit, like Lynch's run in Detroit, the players and coaches note how Cable reviewed and explained why that run would hit, for long yards, all week in the film room.

Of course, I'm just being a typical Seattle fan, because I'm stupid and just point at either coordinator (I really need to do my first rube ripping of Bradley). But, IMO, he's benefited from lightening in a bottle with 2009 Farve and Rice and now a rookie QB who could most likely pick up Holmgren’s offense, quickly. IMO, his hybrid WCO doesn't fit Pete's vision of play-action, over the top, big play offense. Nor does it fit Wilson. I never liked the hire.

But, you know, I cant have legit reasons for disliking him.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Blazenhawks":gdw9d2l0 said:
You can have him I think bevell is horrible at play calling

This is the classic type of fan-blah blah I was referring to earlier.

Tell you what, watch two of the best teams in the NFL next weekend in the early games if you get a chance. You'll notice their play calling isn't 100% perfect either. I seem to remember Bevell calling two brilliant drives in Chicago on Sunday, but let's forget about important things like that.

And yeah - no credit for Wilson's development. Again.

Largent80

Reaction score
Maybe Bevell redeemed himself in Chicago, but in Miami in a game we should have won, his pussy assed play calling cost us the game IMO.

Running in the 4th quarter with a hot QB and the game on the line was the recipe for a big FAT loss.

His use of the wideout screen is 90% of the time to the wrong side and several times were backwards passes. Maybe all of this is not 100% on him but I am directing my displeasure in his direction.

Blazenhawks

Reaction score
Do you ever wonder why Bevell doesn't call HB screens or WR screens. I have to agree some of the trick plays have been awesome but he can be predictable like Run, Run, pass, Punt

Blazenhawks

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":30df2ja4 said:
Blazenhawks":30df2ja4 said:

Tell you what, watch two of the best teams in the NFL next weekend in the early games if you get a chance. You'll notice their play calling isn't 100% perfect either. I seem to remember Bevell calling two brilliant drives in Chicago on Sunday, but let's forget about important things like that.

Are you talking about the 2 drives that Wilson had a bail on and run for first downs almost 75% of the passing plays.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
From what I read, RW went to the side-line and told Bevell what he was seeing on the field and that the option-read was wide open for him.

There's been too many times when Bevell's made some bone-headed playcalls.

Look at it like this...if Bevell was any good would we be this surprised when a gameplan works out?

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":kq6fyygp said:
Blazenhawks":kq6fyygp said:

You mean the read option plays? You sure that's Bevell? I'd bet the read option plays are Cables.

I'd also bet the play-action plays, alot, like Rice's TD (vs NE) are Cable's. To pull that play off, you need a Te who can single-block a DE, for a long time, Cable's boy Miller. You cant do that play without it - and it looked alot like some old Raider plays.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Blazenhawks":182i6yd4 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":182i6yd4 said:
Blazenhawks":182i6yd4 said:

Are you talking about the 2 drives that Wilson had a bail on and run for first downs almost 75% of the passing plays.

No, I'm talking about the two drives where he masterfully executed the zone read offense that Bevell was calling. That was part of the game plan.

And people calling Bevell out for being conservative against Miami - again - need to remember what Pete's philosophy is here. Carroll had as much say in that as anyone IMO.

pehawk":182i6yd4 said:
You mean the read option plays? You sure that's Bevell? I'd bet the read option plays are Cables.

I'd also bet the play-action plays, alot, like Rice's TD (vs NE) are Cable's. To pull that play off, you need a Te who can single-block a DE, for a long time, Cable's boy Miller. You cant do that play without it - and it looked alot like some old Raider plays.

We have no idea who is responsible. All I know is I've watched the game again tonight and Bevell is constantly speaking to RW. He is at the forefront of everything. And I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to the OC and playcaller rather than second guess who does what.

And so should everyone else really. It seriously sounds at times like Hawks fans just make up their mind and that's that. See: Flynn/Wilson, Bevell, previously Gus Bradley etc etc.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":vmplpx0o said:
Blazenhawks":vmplpx0o said:

Nobodys asking for perfection...but how is running it at the 2 strongest tackles on a D over and over good playcalling? How about a drawplay in the redzone when Lynch has been gashing the D all day (STL I believe). His play it safe, conservative playcalling in the 2nd and 3rd quarter are frustrating as hell to watch. I'll admit though, he's good when he has time to sit down and draw up a gameplan.

razgriz737

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3mc2nrzy said:
Blazenhawks":3mc2nrzy said:

For me, those 2 drives don't make up for his otherwise lackluster career here. I don't think he's a complete bafoon, just extremely average.

I don't even know who's available, but I gotta think that if he leaves for Wisconsin (which is not a stretch), there's gotta be a better guy out there.

chris98251

Reaction score
Running the option read was Wilsons idea and he lobbied for it, after that it's wasn't as much Bevell calling plays as it was Wilson reading the defense and executing the read option on the last couple drives.

I think the foundation of the offense will be maintained no matter who is coordinator because Pete wants ball control and a safe passing game with the use of the long ball to keep defenses honest. I won't call it a weapon till we have guys that are gone to routinely and score. Bates trioed making the long ball the base of the offense and pissed off Pete.

Blazenhawks

Reaction score
To me I don't just look at the last 2 games I look at what he has done since he has come here I think he is an average play caller nothing more or worse. Yes I am rephrasing what I first said but I think we could do better.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
chris98251":1irprcyy said:
Running the option read was Wilsons idea and he lobbied for it, after that it's wasn't as much Bevell calling plays as it was Wilson reading the defense and executing the read option on the last couple drives.

I think the foundation of the offense will be maintained no matter who is coordinator because Pete wants ball control and a safe passing game with the use of the long ball to keep defenses honest. I won't call it a weapon till we have guys that are gone to routinely and score. Bates trioed making the long ball the base of the offense and pissed off Pete.
So I wasn't the only one that read that then.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":6p3pf8fj said:

I think you'll find PC came up with the idea after watching RGIII tape.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":10a1k9jt said:
chris98251":10a1k9jt said:

On that particular drive/s, it was Wilson's.

razgriz737

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":igv3jt4z said:
chris98251":igv3jt4z said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Wilson specifically said in a post-game interview that he told the coaches they should start running the option read.

EDIT: Nvm found the video, he said he told the coaches and the coaches saw it too, or something like that. It's on the main Hawks website if anyone wants to see it.

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":20rklgif said:
chris98251":20rklgif said:

Can never admit you might be wrong about something can you, yes Pete stole the idea from Shanahan, He smarltly implemented it in our offense. We were talking about the Game on SUNDAY and who called the plays on the game winning and tieing drives that you were so ardently defending Bevell on.

Latest posts