Take this for what it is

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3gpuk83v said:
Scottemojo":3gpuk83v said:
On point number one, with all due respect, list for me the actual number of really successful seasons Matt had.

Hasselbeck has 11 postseason starts, that's good for 16th all time. He had five seasons in a row that he took us to the playoffs, and a Superbowl appearance. Those stats alone puts him ahead of any other Seahawk QB, including Wilson who hasn't even made one postseason start. I didn't even get into passing yards, TD's, etc.

I simply do not understand anyone being defensive about people thinking this guy might be better than Matt. Matt was an above average QB with a very likeable personality. He is not a sacred cow.

I'm not being defensive, I just think it's crazy to anoint Wilson "the best ever" when the dude hasn't even played a full season. You yourself used the words "might be" and not "is"........that right there tells me you agree with me. Potential is not fact when it comes to "best ever," at least not in my book, or the NFL in general, that's why the league keeps all those silly stats.

I mostly agree. I think some of those things you list are more team accomplishments, but I see your point.
I will simply put it like this. When Matt was behind by more than 3 points, there were good odds we were going to lose the game. When Russell is behind by any number at all, I suspect I am about to see something very cool.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":249z8wzl said:
I will simply put it like this. When Matt was behind by more than 3 points, there were good odds we were going to lose the game. When Russell is behind by any number at all, I suspect I am about to see something very cool.

Hey I'm with you there, Wilson has far more athletic ability and raw talent that Hasselbeck ever had........and we're already seeing the fruits of that.

So yeah if people want to discuss "better QB" then ya I agree with Wilson > others. But to me "best ever" has a longevity context to it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":u3y40njq said:

Now don't do this... I'm at work, and now it's going to be very hard for me to not go to Pro Football Reference and start counting.

By the way, at what point in the game did Hass have to be behind by more than 3? I'm asking for a friend.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":19xyult8 said:
Scottemojo":19xyult8 said:

Hey I'm with you there, Wilson has far more athletic ability and raw talent that Hasselbeck ever had........and we're already seeing the fruits of that.

So yeah if people want to discuss "better QB" then ya I agree with Wilson > others. But to me "best ever" has a longevity context to it.

True. But I also contend that Matt was really only above average for a 4-5 year span, and injured often on top of that, so longevity really isn't on Matt's side either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":98u4p46b said:
True. But I also contend that Matt was really only above average for a 4-5 year span, and injured often on top of that, so longevity really isn't on Matt's side either.

Well Wilson has only been above average for 3/4 of a season, and if you're being truthful he was pretty average for 4-5 games (maybe not his fault due to restraints being put on him by coaches, but still statistically accurate).......so above average for not even half a season. So using your formula Hasselbeck still has a leg up on Wilson by about 4 1/2 years.

I do believe that after 5-10 more years this won't be a discussion, Wilson will be hands down the greatest Hawk QB ever...........I'm just not ready to hand him his crown yet.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Hopefully he stays healthy and hopefully the team surrounding him stays at the level of talent it currently has. God forbid a LB rolls up on his knee after a play has ended or a DT dives into his back when he is diving for a TD and hopefully the team around him doesn't devolve into the heaping mess of crap players that Matt had to play with in 07, 08, 09 and 10. I love what I am seeing from Wilson but it comes with a caveat that the team surrounding him might be better than the team surrounding Matt in 2005 and definitely better than any other team Matt had outside of 05.

This is why you can't anoint him best ever yet. We don't know really how good he would do if he were to lose all his receivers for a season like Matt did in 08 or if his defense suddenly decided to give up 35 points a game every game. Those things may happen in the future and we can make a judgement but so far we have seen him do great things with a great supporting cast.Hopefully we never see anything less.