Formula for Seattle reaching #2 playoff seed

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Apparently the Giants losing today made it a little more possible.

1. SEA wins out.

2. 49ers lose in New England.

3. Green Bay, Chicago, and Giants all lose one more. (We hold tiebreaker over the first two; Giants would win a tiebreaker with us via common-games record.)

I don't see anything in #3 coming true next week; all three play fairly easy teams. Week 15, though, the Bears and Packers play each other. Thus, via our tiebreaker over both (BAHAHAHA WILSON), one is assured to fall below the Seahawks should we win out. Also in Week 15, the 49ers travel to Foxborough (evening game, unfortunately) and the Giants travel to Atlanta. Tough road games for both.

Assuming we win out, Week 15 is huge for our playoff seeding.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Boom. I'm in!! Let's do this!!
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• In the NFL forum, I was actively hoping for a Redskins win, for exactly this reason.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• So the formula is really SEA wins out and 49ers (edit: in addition to @SEA), GB, Chicago, and Giants all lose one more, right? Does it have to be 9ers at NE?
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• BlueTalon wrote:In the NFL forum, I was actively hoping for a Redskins win, for exactly this reason.

That would be amazing if that happened. Right now I just want a wildcard spot though. Anyway's I am not a big fan of how our team plays after byes.........
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote: Anyway's I am not a big fan of how our team plays after byes.........

We weren't big fans of how they play on the road either, until yesterday.

Poor post-bye play is the next trend to fall.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Redskins winning helped our #2 chances but hurt our wildcard chances, right? Now they have the ability to challenge us if they continue to do well and hold tie breakers due to NFC record...
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

• The only thing that can hurt our wildcard chances is us.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• If the Giants lose to the Ravens - entirely possible in Baltimore - it's possible the Skins win the division and the Giants aren't even in the playoffs.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:So the formula is really SEA wins out and 49ers (edit: in addition to @SEA), GB, Chicago, and Giants all lose one more, right? Does it have to be 9ers at NE?

No, but it's the most likely to happen.
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:So the formula is really SEA wins out and 49ers (edit: in addition to @SEA), GB, Chicago, and Giants all lose one more, right? Does it have to be 9ers at NE?

The niners just have to lose games to us and another team. And we win them all.
    'The bevell is in the details.' -BFS
    jamsomatic
    NET Starter

• sturg78 wrote:Redskins winning helped our #2 chances but hurt our wildcard chances, right? Now they have the ability to challenge us if they continue to do well and hold tie breakers due to NFC record...

The good thing is we control our own destiny as far as they're concerned.
    BobcatHawk
    NET Starter

• My NFL playoff machine scenario for the Seahawks as #2 seed....

SEA wins out
    SF loses @NE
    CHI loses @MIN
    NYG loses @ATL or @BAL
    GB loses @CHI
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• So basically we want the Giants to bomb out?
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• SEA wins out - 50%
    SF loses @NE - 40%
    CHI loses @MIN 60%
    NYG loses @ATL or @BAL- 70%
    GB loses @CHI 50%

Chances: 4% (using rough math).

We're in great shape to make the playoffs. But the chances of getting to the #2 spot look slim.
    Remembering rookies will play like rookies, since 2012.
    JerHawk81
    NET Veteran

• For the 2nd seed, #1 the Hawks must win out.
    Week 14: SF beats Miami, Giants beat Saints, GB beat Detroit and Vikings beat Bears
    Week 15: Bears beat GB, Falcons beat Giants, NE beat SF
    Week 16: GB beats Titans, Ravens beat Giants, Bears beat Cards and We beat SF
    Week 17: Giants, Bears, GB, SF and us all win

With this scenario, We are 11-5 along with GB and Bears. SF is 10-5-1 with Giants at 9-7.
    We win the tiebreaker and are the #2 seed.

To me, this is a very possible outcome.... IF we can win out.
    baumer64
    NET Starter

• Hot damn this thread sure beats the hell out of yesteryear when we would be talking about draft positioning already.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• JerHawk81 wrote:SEA wins out - 50%
    SF loses @NE - 40%
    CHI loses @MIN 60%
    GB loses @CHI 50%

We're in great shape to make the playoffs. But the chances of getting to the #2 spot look slim.

Naw... The Bears are perfectly capable of losing @ Minny or @ Detroit or @ Arizona. There are other variables that alter ypour stats. Agreed?
    'The bevell is in the details.' -BFS
    jamsomatic
    NET Starter

SF loses @NE - 40%
    CHI loses @MIN 60%
    GB loses @CHI 50%

Bump that second stat up to 60%. The niners are inconsistent, the pats have been playing great, and the game is in Foxborough
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• I've been saying for about 3 weeks now -- Keep an eye on this Redskins team because they could potentially catch fire and sneak in to the playoff picture. Well, don't look now, but they're 6-6 ... AND (like the Seahawks) they've got a real cupcake schedule coming up ...

Week 14 -- Home vs. Baltimore
    Week 15 -- at Cleveland
    Week 16 -- at Philadelphia
    Week 17 -- Home vs. Dallas

Outside of the Ravens game (which they play at home) ... all of those are extremely win-able games. It's not out of the realm of possibility with the way that RGIII has played this season that they could win out and finish 10-6. In fact at this point, I'd count on that happening. So when talking about playoff scenarios, I'd include them in the conversation as well.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• The Cowboys and the Skins are both at 6-6. Their Post Season might well depend on that last game. The Boys might well step up and bite them!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• A bye week counts towards the suspension right? One less game without the corners.

Sounds good to me!

So say we snag #2 pretty easy.
    -Chicago is not so awesome and has 3 out of 4 on the road.
    -The Giants play Saints, @Falcons, @Ravens, Eagles. They should drop one considering how inconsistent they are
    -The Packers play Lions, @Bears, Titans, @Vikings. They are the ones we have to worry about I think, though they are pretty inconsistent.
    -Pats beat SF.

Atlanta might lose week 1 since they are kinda overrated in my opinion. Home-field throughout with a bye week?

See ya in New Orleans!

Oh wait we have to win out too? Well let's just do that too. Queue loss to AZ Sunday now that we are all excited.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

SF loses @NE - 40%
    CHI loses @MIN 60%
    GB loses @CHI 50%

Correct, but the numbers are kind of off. The chances of Seattle going 4-0 are way lower than 50%. It's more like 20%.

SF does not HAVE to lose to NE, they could lose to AZ or MIA too, really it's a question of SF winning out their non-Seahawks games, which includes @NE. I'd give them maybe a 70% chance of losing one of those 3 games (a guess).

Chicago, NY, and GB do not need to lose to anyone specific, they just need to lose once in four games to anybody, and the Packers/Bears each play each other so it makes one of those losses automatic. Odds of all three losing at least one of the next four? Probably about 50% (a guess).

This is guesswork (ask Agentdib for an uberleet statistical breakdown), but based on those numbers the odds would look like this:

.2 x .7 x .50 = .07 = 7% chance of happening.

Of course, those odds increase dramatically with every loss that helps us. It's just really low odds right now since so many teams are involved. If Seattle wins out, their odds would jump to 35%.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• The hardest part of the equation is us winning out. With 3 home games, it seems doable. But it's still no small task.

Accomplish that though, and the rest isn't far fetched at all. All you're asking is that none of SF, GB, NYG, or CHI win out. One of those teams could win out. But it's not ridiculous to think they each will lose at least 1 out of their final 4 games.

This is both an entirely silly conversation to be having (when we're fighting for playoffs, period), as well as an entirely realistic one. Fun stuff.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• It's a hell of a lot better conversation to be having than the ones last week where the two topics of conversation were "Exactly how bad DOES our defense suck" and "7-9 or 8-8, which is more likely?"

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Bigpumpkin wrote:The Cowboys and the Skins are both at 6-6. Their Post Season might well depend on that last game. The Boys might well step up and bite them!

Come on Pumpkin ... after what we've seen from this Cowboys team this year you'd seriously pick them over the Redskins in that game? That game is going to be at the Redskins home stadium and from what I've seen from RGIII this year -- I'm not picking against him. Romo has always choked in big game situations (Seahawk fans of all people should know that). No, with the schedule they've got the rest of the way, I see 10-6 as very attainable for the Redskins. They've been my dark horse for a few weeks now ... and I definitely see them as a team that could make a late charge down the stretch.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• volsunghawk wrote:It's a hell of a lot better conversation to be having than the ones last week where the two topics of conversation were "Exactly how bad DOES our defense suck" and "7-9 or 8-8, which is more likely?"

My thoughts exactly. My how things have changed in one short week. Can't say I didn't call it either.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• This is nice to dream about but it's extremely unlikely all of this will fall into place. I think it's more likely GB runs the table than Sea goes 4-0. With our corners facing suspension, I think it's more likely we go 3-1 and get a wildcard at 10-6.

Win Forever!
    JonRud
    NET Veteran

• How sick would it be if Green Bay had to come back to Seattle for a playoff game? That would be epic!
    Reaneypark
    NET Veteran

• Well the Rams seem to have both ours, and SF's number so far anyway. I hope we handle both of those teams.
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Seattle has been invincible at home against far tougher teams than ARI and STL. Our offense is getting hot right now. Buffalo is a terrible team, far less talent than either Miami or Carolina. On paper (YES, DOM, I KNOW), those are three winnable games should the Seahawks play disciplined to even a modest degree.

So while Any Given Sunday and the Road Monkey are still to be reckoned with (they seem to be tougher opponents than any one team this year), Seattle's odds of winning out are not unreasonable, nor is the idea of all those other three teams each losing one more given their schedule. The only real obstacle to the #2 seed is the 49ers.

I'm actually feeling pretty good about those remote chances.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• This is a great thing, and it really throws into light how important the Rams/Arizona game were (in my opinion. Losing to the Lions still put us at 3-1 against the NFC North against 0-3 in our own division.) If we had won one of those games, we'd only have to win out to take the #2 seed right now.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Bigpumpkin wrote:The Cowboys and the Skins are both at 6-6. Their Post Season might well depend on that last game. The Boys might well step up and bite them!

That is very possible, but honestly, I don't see the Redskins beating the Ravens this weekend. Baltimore is going to be coming in on a mission after losing to The Batch led Steelers last week.

For whomever said they don't like byes, don't forget, we play a lot of our games after byes on the road. I think THIS is a much bigger contributing factor than the bye itself. I'll take the risk of the bye week to get the advantage of home field. Home field at CLINK is EPIC

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Just have to root for the Hawks to win out. Everything else is out of the Hawks' control. If they win out and get to 11-5, they'll be in a good spot.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• SalishHawkFan wrote:If the Giants lose to the Ravens - entirely possible in Baltimore - it's possible the Skins win the division and the Giants aren't even in the playoffs.

True but Dallas is also in play for the division and considering that Dallas and Washington play to end the season it could be for the division title.

Basically Washinton has to play Baltimore this week. If they lose that game their wildcard chances become very bleak. 1 washington loss would almost spell the end for them. Unless the G-men totally collapse-- they are 1-3 in the 3rd quarter so I suppose it's possible.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:Well the Rams seem to have both ours, and SF's number so far anyway. I hope we handle both of those teams.

Fake FG TD, FGs from 58 and 60 yards. Zuerlein is good, but our D is much much better at home, of the 4 remaining games, that is the one I'm MOST confident of winning
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Reaneypark wrote:How sick would it be if Green Bay had to come back to Seattle for a playoff game? That would be epic!

Don't count on getting ANY calls.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• BlueTalon wrote:In the NFL forum, I was actively hoping for a Redskins win, for exactly this reason.

I was too except for the fact that I had to prepare myself for the RGIII BJ fest that would follow from the media.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

• JonRud wrote:This is nice to dream about but it's extremely unlikely all of this will fall into place. I think it's more likely GB runs the table than Sea goes 4-0. With our corners facing suspension, I think it's more likely we go 3-1 and get a wildcard at 10-6.

While it's nice to dream about a 11-5 Season, I have to agree with JonRud completely. After listening to David Vobora's interview on 710 ESPN, I'm fairly convinced that the NFL the appeals process is basically impossible ... so let me just say it now -- Sherman will be gone for 4 games, so will miss both the 49ers game, the Rams game, and 2 games after that.

Without Sherman, I believe it far less likely that the Hawks will win the 49ers game, so we'll probably get to 10-6. Now, that may not be a very good scenario at all especially if things play out in the NFC East as I think they could (with both the Giants and Redskins getting to 10-6). Kidhawk is probably right that the Redskins lose this weekend ... but remember, RGIII will be playing this one before his home crowd. Don't discount the possibility he could have another monster game. More than likely though, I see the Hawks getting the Wildcard at 10-6 with a loss against the Niners. As of now, that's how I see the pieces all shaking out.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Without the suspensions, I like our chances to go 11-5. With them, I see 9-7 and a 6th seed, possibly.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• Add into all of this...what if Atlanta craps the bed and loses out... I played that scenario and that gives Seattle the #1 Seed.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:29 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information